Easy Lamb Shanks with Garlic and Herbs
Lamb shanks are always good although they tend to be more expensive nowadays than before. Go back a few years and the price was much lower, the reason being well-known chefs are beginning to serve lamb shank recipes in their restaurants, pushing up the price. This easy lamb shanks with garlic recipe is reminiscent of classic lamb shank dishes.
Never mind about the price being more than it was. Lamb shanks are not prohibitively expensive, they make a great dish, they are easy to cook and the meat, when cooked properly, is falling-apart tender and oh so flavorful. I like to cook easy lamb shanks with garlic often and I tend to cook them in the crockpot. The aroma while they cook is just incredible! But braising them in the oven is also a great idea and they will come out juicy, succulent and tasting just as wonderful as they look.
In the following easy lamb shanks with garlic recipe we are browning the lamb and some vegetables then adding garlic, herbs, white wine and stock to make a flavorful sauce. A lot of lamb shank recipes have red wine but this one uses white wine. If you prefer a lamb shank recipe without wine then simply swap the white wine for extra stock, either chicken stock or lamb stock.
What to Serve alongside Easy Lamb Shanks with Garlic
This easy lamb shanks with garlic recipe is great served with mashed potatoes or fries if you prefer. It will take 2 to 3 hours from beginning to end, so start it a few hours before dinner time. While the lamb shanks are braising you can prepare your side dishes or get dessert together.
The lamb shanks need to rest while you are cooking the sauce. Just put them on a platter and cover them with foil. You will find the meat tenderizes even more when allowed to stand in this way, which is another bonus of doing this. Easy lamb shanks with garlic deserve the very best treatment so don’t forget to let them stand.
How Many Does This Serve?
This easy lamb shanks with garlic recipe makes enough to serve 8 people but you can halve it if you’re not feeding such a crowd. We also have a lamb shanks braised in red wine recipe if you want to compare them. The following recipe is a low carb lamb shanks feast so if you’re low-carbing, serve this with ‘cauliflower mash’ or with some fried mushrooms or another low carb side dish. It will be so filling and delicious.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 lamb shanks
- 2 chopped carrots
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- Few sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 12 fl oz (350ml) white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 18 fl oz (500ml) lamb or chicken stock
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brown the lamb all over for 10 minutes in the oil in a Dutch oven or big ovenproof pot or dish.
- Remove the lamb and put the carrot and onion in the pot.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then add the garlic and herbs and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and tomato paste, add salt and black pepper, and add the stock and wine.
- Put the lamb back in the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a lid or with foil and cook in the oven for 1½ to 2 hours or until the lamb is tender.
- Take the meat out of the sauce and set it to one side.
- Cover it loosely with foil.
- Put the pan back on the heat and simmer the sauce for 15 minutes or until thick and glossy.
- Sieve it into a jug, then serve it with the lamb.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Summer Appetizer IdeasOne of the things that brings people together is the enjoyment of food. There are few things better than gathering around a table on a summer evening to snack and relax with friends. And there are easy summer appetizer ideas for all palates and occasions, so you won’t be stuck for choice. What makes appetizers so appealing when compared to full meals? Appetizers are usually bite size, making them easy to eat while socializing, and a table full of different options is far more exciting than committing to just one meal or flavor. Many summer appetizer ideas are not only easy to eat, but also easy to prepare. Cold appetizers are .....
- Siberian Ice Diamond JewelryWhat is Siberian Ice diamond jewelry exactly, and where can you get some? Siberian Ice is a top quality diamond alternative which has recently begun to take the world by storm. It is very hard like diamonds and can even scratch glass. This diamond alternative is also guaranteed for life. Basically, it is an alternative to real diamonds which is much closer to an actual diamond than other imitations (cubic zirconia, for example) and that is why so many women are going crazy for it. They Look the Same A Siberian Ice diamond has almost the same visual appearance as a true diamond and it is almost as durable too, making it very attractive to .....
- Easy Freekeh SaladBefore you think about making this easy freekeh salad you might be wondering about this grain. What is freekeh, you might be thinking, and that is a very good question because a lot of people have never heard of this particular grain. Freekeh can also be spelt frikeh, and it is known as farik as well. This cereal food is made from green wheat which goes through a roasting process. It is traditional in Arabian cuisine along with North African and some other cuisines. The wheat is harvested while the seeds are soft and the grains are yellow, and then it is sun-dried. Piles of freekeh are set on fire and the straw and chaff burn, leaving the .....
- Canapes for a PartyCanapes (KAH-nah-pays) for a party, which are also known as hors d’oevres, are little snacks which are served with drinks, either by themselves or before the sit-down meal is ready. These canapes for a party can be very simple and might be something spread on crackers or melba toast, or even a stuffed cherry tomato or deviled egg. The best canapes for a party are those which can be eaten with the fingers, so people can just pick them up without making their fingers messy. Also, they should be able to be eaten in one or two bites, and you shouldn’t need cutlery. A canape in one hand and a drink in the other is fine. Add cutlery .....
- Easy Baked Chicken Breasts with TomatoesThis easy baked chicken breasts with tomatoes dish is a wonderful recipe for busy weeknights. All you need to do is add the chicken with the other ingredients to an ovenproof dish and then bake it until the chicken is cooked through. Yes it really is that easy to make this wonderful easy baked chicken breasts with tomatoes meal! Recipes like this appeal to the whole family from the smallest to the most senior, and you can either make the recipe as it is written, or take a look in your refrigerator and see which vegetables you have which can be used up. Serve the finished baked chicken with asparagus and mashed potatoes, with broccoli and .....
- Creamy Rich Butternut Squash SoupA nice rich butternut squash soup is a lovely option for the chillier months. There are plenty of things you can do with this naturally sweet vegetable though, not just soup. Try stuffing it with risotto or pilaf, cubing it and adding it to your next stew or curry, pureeing it to make a change from mashed potatoes, or using it to make a wonderful winter warmer of a soup. You can tinker with the rich butternut squash soup, adding more ingredients if you want. Some people like to swap half the butternut squash for pumpkin or potatoes, or even carrots. Doing this will change the flavor slightly and the color of the finished soup. Adding .....
- How to Grill MusselsWhen the weather is cold, mussels steamed in the pan with white wine and parsley makes a wonderful meal, served with warm garlic bread. Then maybe follow them up with some mulled wine or hot apple cider. This is why everyone should know how to cook mussels. When the weather turns warm, such a dish might not offer the same appeal but that’s when the barbecue comes into play and grilling season is in full swing. In the following recipe we are taking live mussels and cooking them in foil packets. They are served with a butter, parsley and white wine sauce, along with some bread. This makes a lovely appetizer for 4 or an entrée for 2. If .....
- Standard Kitchen Cabinet DimensionsWhen planning a new kitchen or renovating your existing kitchen, there are various things that you need to know if you are going to do the work yourself, especially standard kitchen cabinet dimensions. “What are the standard kitchen cabinet dimensions” is a very common question to ask and you will need to know the answer so you can plan what to buy and also so you can plan what is going to go where and what exactly you are going to have in there. If space is at a premium you might be limited in the amount of drawers, cabinets and workspace you are able to get. Now, standard kitchen cabinet dimensions: base kitchen cabinets are 24 .....
- Dutch Speklappen or Speklapjes RecipeI’ve been living in Holland for several years and cooked speklappen, also known as speklapjes, for my husband a number of times. Speklappen or speklapjes (the same thing) means pork belly slices. You can get these quite cheap and they are easy to cook. Also, you can use them in a number of different recipes including the following Dutch speklappen or speklapjes recipe. The best way to cook these is in a little oil. Get the oil hot in a skillet or frying pan, then add the speklapjes in one layer and fry them. You will see them turn golden brown and crispy. Flip them halfway through cooking so they cook evenly on both sides. You can .....
- How to Get a Job in Gran Canaria and Live ThereSo you’re interested in working in sunny Gran Canaria? I have plenty of handy information to share with you about moving to Gran Canaria, living there and working there, so read on! Whether you want a job in Gran Canaria or you’re just curious, I can share my experiences with you. Gran Canaria is one of the Canary Islands and is situated off the coast of North Africa. With great weather all year round, Gran Canaria is a great tourist desination and somewhere you can work all year round if you are a member of the EC or have a visa to work in Europe. What Type of Work is There? If you are willing to accept a bar job in Gran Canaria .....