Easy Lamb Shanks with Garlic and Herbs
Lamb shanks are always good although they tend to be more expensive nowadays than before. Go back a few years and the price was much lower, the reason being well-known chefs are beginning to serve lamb shank recipes in their restaurants, pushing up the price. This easy lamb shanks with garlic recipe is reminiscent of classic lamb shank dishes.
Never mind about the price being more than it was. Lamb shanks are not prohibitively expensive, they make a great dish, they are easy to cook and the meat, when cooked properly, is falling-apart tender and oh so flavorful. I like to cook easy lamb shanks with garlic often and I tend to cook them in the crockpot. The aroma while they cook is just incredible! But braising them in the oven is also a great idea and they will come out juicy, succulent and tasting just as wonderful as they look.
In the following easy lamb shanks with garlic recipe we are browning the lamb and some vegetables then adding garlic, herbs, white wine and stock to make a flavorful sauce. A lot of lamb shank recipes have red wine but this one uses white wine. If you prefer a lamb shank recipe without wine then simply swap the white wine for extra stock, either chicken stock or lamb stock.
What to Serve alongside Easy Lamb Shanks with Garlic
This easy lamb shanks with garlic recipe is great served with mashed potatoes or fries if you prefer. It will take 2 to 3 hours from beginning to end, so start it a few hours before dinner time. While the lamb shanks are braising you can prepare your side dishes or get dessert together.
The lamb shanks need to rest while you are cooking the sauce. Just put them on a platter and cover them with foil. You will find the meat tenderizes even more when allowed to stand in this way, which is another bonus of doing this. Easy lamb shanks with garlic deserve the very best treatment so don’t forget to let them stand.
How Many Does This Serve?
This easy lamb shanks with garlic recipe makes enough to serve 8 people but you can halve it if you’re not feeding such a crowd. We also have a lamb shanks braised in red wine recipe if you want to compare them. The following recipe is a low carb lamb shanks feast so if you’re low-carbing, serve this with ‘cauliflower mash’ or with some fried mushrooms or another low carb side dish. It will be so filling and delicious.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 lamb shanks
- 2 chopped carrots
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- Few sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 12 fl oz (350ml) white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 18 fl oz (500ml) lamb or chicken stock
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brown the lamb all over for 10 minutes in the oil in a Dutch oven or big ovenproof pot or dish.
- Remove the lamb and put the carrot and onion in the pot.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then add the garlic and herbs and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and tomato paste, add salt and black pepper, and add the stock and wine.
- Put the lamb back in the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a lid or with foil and cook in the oven for 1½ to 2 hours or until the lamb is tender.
- Take the meat out of the sauce and set it to one side.
- Cover it loosely with foil.
- Put the pan back on the heat and simmer the sauce for 15 minutes or until thick and glossy.
- Sieve it into a jug, then serve it with the lamb.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Best Bling iPad CasesTake a look at these gorgeous covers and make your tablet really sparkle! iPad cases come in lots of styles but choosing ones with bling means your tablet will look incredible and who doesn’t love bling iPad cases? Choose from lots of different sparkly covers to jazz up your tablet and everyone will be jealous of it. Even if you are not sure what style you like, take a peek at some of the different designs on offer and perhaps you will find something you adore. Choose from various colors, styles and types of bling for your bling iPad cases, or pick out the perfect sparkly cover or case as a gift for someone in your family or friends .....
- The Evolution of Starter RecipesIt’s interesting to learn about the evolution of starter recipes. Starters, or appetizers as they are also known, are served in most cuisines and cultures. These snacks were served in ancient Persia thousands of years ago and ancient Roman aristocracy used to enjoy eggs, fruit and similar treats before eating their main course. Appetizers have been served for many years in the UK as a snack before the main course arrived but modern ones can be quite different from old fashioned ones. Of course, you can still serve traditional recipes but it is also fun to experiment with the wide range of ingredients that are available today but that .....
- Authentic Pasta con le Sarde RecipePasta con le sarde is a typical Sicilian dish. The name translates to mean ‘pasta with sardines’ and the sardines along with fennel are the main 2 ingredients in there, those which give it the characteristic taste. Saffron, currants or raisins, pine nuts, and toasted almonds or capers also enrich the dish, offering a unique and special flavor in the finished meal. There are different pasta con le sarde recipes, some of which include tomato pulp and others which do not. Some are finished off in the oven for a few minutes so the pasta can finish cooking in there. When to Make a Pasta con le Sarde Recipe Make this pasta con le sarde .....
- Gourmet Potato Salad with WalnutsPotato salad is always good, but what if you are in the mood for an elegant gourmet potato salad with walnuts rather than the comfort food style? The following recipe shows you how to add a gourmet twist to this all-American classic recipe, making it perfect for any special occasion. Potato salad offers not only delicious flavors but also a softness in the mouth, and it is this soft texture that we love. This gourmet potato salad with walnuts recipe features walnuts however, to add an unusual crunch to the dish. You will love how well the sherry vinegar and walnut oil combine, as well as how the other flavors work so nicely in the dish. .....
- Mushroom Risotto with Truffle OilThis easy mushroom risotto with truffle oil recipe combines rice with mushrooms, and you can use any kind of mushrooms you want. Last time I used button mushrooms, but you can also use assorted wild mushrooms if you want, or another kind. We are also using dried mushrooms in the mushroom risotto with truffle oil, which you will reconstitute before proceeding with the recipe. Different Types of Risotto There are lots of different type of risotto, including shrimp, chicken and vegetable types. I like asparagus risotto with plenty of parmesan. Everyone has their own favorite. I like to use arborio rice to make mushroom risotto with truffle .....
- 12 Crockpot Recipes for Weight LossThe following crockpot recipes for weight loss are perfect for making in a slow cooker. One of the benefits to using a crockpot is you can tip the ingredients in there in the morning, then go to work or out for the day. When you get home your meal will be ready! This mean you don’t have to stand over the stove, nibbling on snacks you shouldn’t be having, but you can eat your healthy meal right away. A crockpot, also known as a slow cooker, is an electrical appliance used to gently simmer food. The temperature is kept low so your food slowly cooks over a period of hours. A basic model should have a low and a high setting while others might .....
- The Secret of Crispy Sweet Potato FriesSweet potato fries are always good and they pair well with many a snack – with sandwiches, burgers, ribs, or even just some ketchup to dip them in! However, many of us have the problem of homemade sweet potato fries being, well, not crispy enough. That’s why you need to know the secret of crispy sweet potato fries. I’ve never had real success with my oven baked sweet potato fries but what I have discovered is a great recipe to get them super-crispy using a deep fryer and I am sharing my recipe with you below. Why Use Sweet Potatoes for Fries The reason I use sweet potato fries is my husband is diabetic and white potatoes .....
- Quick ‘n Easy Lemon and Lime SalmonThis is an incredibly easy recipe and a great way to prepare salmon. Here we are adding lemon and lime juice to the fish, along with lemon and lime zest if you like. You could stick to either lemon or lime or, like I prefer to do, use some of each for a more interesting flavor in this lemon and lime salmon recipe. Add the zest too if you want, to add more citrus flavor to the salmon and also to add a decorative touch. Last time I made this lemon and lime salmon recipe, I sprinkled some Old Bay seasoning over the salmon. I wasn’t sure whether my husband would like it because he hates celery and celery seed is a major ingredient in Old .....
- Dutch Kale Stamppot with SausageDutch kale stamppot is a dish I make often, first because my husband is Dutch and grew up with it, and second because it’s hot, comforting and delicious! Perhaps you have tried other Dutch recipes such as our slavink recipe, or maybe you are new to this cuisine. Either way, you will find Dutch kale stamppot with sausage very simple to prepare. You will need mashing potatoes (I use low GI Carisma potatoes because my husband is diabetic) along with kale. Those are the main two ingredients in kale stamppot, known in Holland as boerenkool stamppot. In addition, I recommend some smoked sausage, known locally as rookworst. This has a similar .....
- Chili Squid with TomatoesThis chili squid with tomatoes recipe is for lovers of all things spicy, since chili is used plentifully. Chili and tomato goes well, which is good because the sauce is tomato-based. You could use fresh tomatoes for this but honestly the canned type are just as good here. The squid is stuffed with a mixture of egg, bread and cilantro. This is how you make this chili squid with tomatoes a success. The filling should be sticky but not too ‘wet’ so add the egg a little at a time. If it is not wet enough add extra egg to it. This is a very simple filling so you can appreciate the flavor of the squid without any of the ingredients .....