Irish Lamb Stew Recipe with Bacon
When the cold months are here, nothing is as comforting as an Irish lamb stew recipe with bacon. There are different Irish stew recipes to choose from, but the main ingredients stay the same, and those are lamb, potatoes and carrots, as well as a delicious sauce/gravy.
This Irish lamb stew recipe with bacon is nice served with a generous chunk of bread for sopping up all those wonderful juices. You can make a huge pot of it and let people ladle some into their bowls. Most of the family will want a second bowlful because this is such a tasty meal.
Something great about traditional Irish stew is its simplicity. You do not need lots of different ingredients to make it because all the flavor comes from the meat and vegetables. If in doubt, why not make a pot full of this. Everyone is sure to be blown away by the amazing taste.
Irish Lamb Stew Recipe with Bacon: Make It Filling
Some recipes feature barley or another grain but this one is filling enough just with the addition of the lamb and veggies, so we are not using it here. If you are curious about making a crockpot Irish lamb stew recipe with bacon then you can do so. Just give it about 10 hours on low or until the lamb is tender and the vegetables are too.
What Kind of Pot to Use
This Irish lamb stew recipe with bacon is such a delicious, hearty meal. Use a heavy-bottomed pot for making it. Anything with a thin base (and I speak from experience here) is going to get too hot on the bottom and you don’t want your stew to stick to the pot. Heavy-bottomed pots cost more than the light ones but they’re worth it and will last for many years.
This one-pot feast makes enough stew to serve 10 but it keeps for a few days in the refrigerator so you can warm it up again for tomorrow’s lunch or even freeze some. Halve the recipe if there are only a couple of you though.
- 1½ pounds diced bacon
- 6 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, in 2 inch cubes
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups diced carrots
- 3 potatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 3 chopped yellow onions
- ½ cup water
- 4 cups beef stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Fry the bacon in a skillet until evenly browned, then drain and crumble it.
- Toss the lamb with the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Brown the lamb in the skillet in the bacon fat, then transfer it into a stock pot, leaving ¼ cup of fat in the skillet.
- Saute the garlic with 1 of the onions in the skillet until the onions start to become light brown, then deglaze the skillet with the water.
- Add the onion mixture to the skillet with the bacon, stock and sugar.
- Cover and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, remaining onions, thyme, bay leaves and wine to the pot.
- Turn the heat down and simmer covered for 20 minutes or until all the veggies are tender.
It is even better the following day so a lot of people will make this a day in advance then reheat it gently. The flavors just seem more intense that way.
Paula Deen Signature Porcelain Nonstick 6-Piece Cookware Soup and Stew Set, Red Speckle
Paula Deen is synonymous with cooking and this 6 piece cookware set is not only gorgeous looking but it will also perform very capably and last you for years. Try making your Irish lamb stew recipe with bacon in here.
Whether you make lots of stews or the occasional one, and regardless of your cooking ability and what kind of food you like, everyone needs good quality pots and pans because they will affect the outcome of your recipes. This is a great cookware soup and stew set to consider.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Steamed Vegetable WontonsSteaming wontons is one of the very best ways to cook them because you do not have to cook them in oil or fat, and steaming them means the wonton wrapper will be lovely and soft. Steamed vegetable wontons can be added to wonton soup or served as they are, with a flavorful dipping sauce, as an appetizer, snack or side dish. The following recipe for steamed vegetable wontons shows you how to make a tasty wonton filling with various veggies, as well as some soy sauce for a simple yet mouthwatering flavor. The vegetables are cooked briefly with the soy sauce, then this mixture goes into the wonton skins and the wontons are steamed until they are .....
- Strawberry Apple SmoothieThis wonderful strawberry apple smoothie recipe makes the most amazing smoothie. If you are in the mood for something cool, fruity and reminiscent of the summer then go ahead and make this. It only takes a few minutes and the flavor is amazing. The texture of our strawberry apple smoothie is not too thick or too thin but just right, so you can use a straw if you want. Frozen strawberries are always found in the bottom drawer of my freezer. Not only are they handy to thaw and add to yogurt or whiz up with cream sugar to make mousse, but they are cheaper than fresh strawberries. I save the fresh ones to enjoy with Greek yogurt as a dessert or .....
- Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée PotsThese are fantastic for Halloween, and suitable for the kids and grownups too. The desserts are served in little jars and you can tie some black ribbon around them to add that festive feel. Why not try this Halloween candy corn brûlée pots this Halloween? The recipe is made in stages. You will be making several layers, then assembling the Halloween candy crème brûlée pots at the end and using a kitchen torch to get the sugar topping nice and crispy. If you don’t have a kitchen torch just omit the last part. Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée pots Make Great Halloween Fare Halloween is a great time to experiment in the kitchen. You can rustle .....
- Watermelon Mint Detox WaterDetox water recipes are all the rage these days, and little wonder when the concept is basically about making plain water delicious so you want to drink plenty of it. Water is absolutely essential but a lot of people struggle to drink enough of it. Once you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated and in need of this watermelon mint detox water or something similar. The obvious answer to this problem is flavoring regular water (tap water, bottled water, filtered water, whatever you like) with fruit, perhaps adding some kind of fresh herbs or spice to boost the flavor further. This recipe is one of my favorites. We are incorporating watermelon .....
- Cheese Baked OmeletThere are lots of egg recipes to choose from if you want to enjoy eggs for breakfast, and this delicious, filling ingredient can be prepared in various ways. This cheese baked omelet is just one of your options. Boiled, scrambled or fried eggs are always good, or you can make an omelet, either conventionally on the stove, or, if your stove is crowded with other breakfast delights such as bacon, sausage and mushrooms being fried, you can make an omelet in the oven. Keep things easy using just eggs, milk or cream and a little onion to give the omelet some crunch. You can also add extra vegetables like bell pepper, mushrooms or even some .....
- Mexican Christmas Salad with a Hot TwistThis Mexican Christmas salad recipe is traditional in both Old and New Mexico, although we are adding a twist with the charred lettuce wedge. Although romaine (known as cos lettuce in some places) really comes to life on a grill, the delicate leaves do not always stand up to the temperature needed by the rest of the food on the grill, and nobody wants a wilted mess on their plate. Thanks to the blowtorch you can control how much heat you use and where it is directed. Besides, who wants to stand outside shivering over the grill on Christmas day, knee-deep in snow? Er, no thanks! How Mexican Christmas Salad is Prepared In this Mexican .....
- Carisma Potatoes – Diabetic Low GI PotatoesWhen my husband was diagnosed with Type II diabetes a few months back, he was told to avoid sugary foods along with processed food, white potatoes, white pasta, white rice, milk chocolate and, well, the list went on. Being a Dutchman he is very into bread and potatoes so he thought those would be hard to quit. He eats whole wheat bread and the occasional sweet potato, both of which are OK for him, but I knew he missed the other stuff. And then we discovered Carisma potatoes! Carisma Potatoes – How We Discovered Them Anyway, to cut what could be a long story short, last weekend at the supermarket I spotted something called .....
- Pears with Stilton and Curd Cheese RecipeDoesn’t the name of the recipe get your mouth watering already? Pears with Stilton and curd cheese – yum! Pears are often served with cheese because the flavors are so good together and in this recipe, both Stilton cheese and curd cheese are used. The yogurt and nutmeg add color, texture and flavor, and this is one of the best vegetarian starter recipes. What is Stilton Like? Stilton is an acquired taste to some people, especially if they are usually only found eating cheddar and the like, but it really is good. Stilton is a British blue cheese and it offers a lovely creaminess and slight salty taste. It’s particularly good .....
- Easy Tomato and Onion FocacciaFocaccia is a tasty Italian bread which complements all kinds of dishes. Although you can buy it from the bakery or grocery store, making your own easy tomato and onion focaccia loaf is worthwhile because let’s face it – you can’t beat freshly baked bread! And this one is certainly no exception. How to Serve Focaccia You can serve this easy tomato and onion focaccia as an appetizer, either alone or with dips like sour cream dip or onion dip, or else have it with your main dish. If you are having beef, chicken or similar in a sauce, focaccia bread can be used to scoop up every last drop of those yummy meat juices, making it .....
- How to Stuff Calamari TubesLearning how to stuff squid is very easy, and although calamari is also nice cut into rings, breaded and deep fried, it is especially good stuffed. You can choose from a wide range of stuffed squid recipes and use whichever ingredients you happen to like. Knowing how to stuff calamari tubes is useful to know, just because there are so many great recipes for stuffed calamari out there. You can buy the bodies (tubes) already cleaned or you can clean them out yourself. I usually buy the frozen tubes because they are very cheap where we live, but if you have a whole squid you also get the lovely tentacles which are nice to use in your stuffed .....