Lahmacun Turkish Pizza Recipe
Everyone loves pizza but perhaps you are becoming a little bored with your usual pepperoni or meat feast option. In that case, it might be high time you try something brand new like our lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe. Just about every cultures has its own take on pizza. It really is a global phenomenon. In Turkey, lahmacun is a typical dish, and it is basically a pizza base topped with meat and Turkish flavors.
What Goes on Top of a Lahmacun Turkish Pizza Recipe
Also known as an Armenian pizza recipe, a lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe is usually topped with either lamb or beef, along with minced veggies and herbs, including tomatoes, onions and parsley. It is baked in the oven until done, and usually served with tomatoes, lettuce, garlic sauce, roasted eggplant (aubergine) and/or pickles.
A lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe is Turkey’s answer to the thin and crispy kind we are familiar with in the West, and the flavors are very different from the Italian style of pizza. Whether you know it as pizza or flatbread (and the terms are pretty much interchangeable when talking about thin and crispy rather than deep-dish), there is no doubt this makes an exciting change. In our lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe we are making the dough but if you’re in a rush you can use a regular pizza base or try to get some Turkish bread which you can top.
Next in our lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe you have a tasty topping which is based on ground lamb (or ground beef if you can’t get lamb or don’t like it). Add tomato, lemon, chili, paprika, garlic and sumac (a tangy, red-brown Middle Eastern spice) and your lahmacun will start to take on its characteristic flavors. Top it with a tahini and lemon dressing, then finish off with pine nuts and parsley, and your Armenian pizza recipe is complete.
How to Serve Lahmacun Turkish Pizza Recipe
Serve it by itself or, if you prefer, with some hot sauce and/or creamy garlic sauce. Iceberg lettuce, chopped fresh tomatoes and perhaps some kind of roasted vegetables (especially eggplant) are also good on the side. Offer pickles too if you have some. This makes a tasty dinner and it is a deliciously different change from your usual pizza recipe.
- 1 envelope dried yeast
- ⅓ cup (80ml) warm water
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup (80ml) olive oil
- 2 cups (300g) sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 14 oz (400g) ground lamb
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 6 chopped fresh tomatoes
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 teaspoons sumac
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 chopped garlic cloves
- ¼ cup (70g) tahini
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or a few parsley sprigs
- ⅓ cup (50g) toasted pine nuts
- Iceberg lettuce
- Chopped fresh tomatoes
- Creamy garlic sauce
- Hot sauce
- Dissolve the yeast in the water and let it stand for 10 minutes or until bubbly.
- Whisk the egg into the olive oil.
- Put the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl and use the dough hook of an electric mixer to knead it for about 6 minutes on a low speed.
- Alternatively you could use some 'elbow grease' and knead it manually!
- When the dough is elastic and smooth, cover it with a clean, damp towel and put it somewhere warm for an hour to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over a moderate heat then add the garlic.
- Cook it for 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes, pressing down on them, or until the liquid has reduced a bit.
- Add the sumac, tomato paste, chili and paprika.
- Stir for a minute, then take the mixture off the heat.
- Stir in the ground lamb and season with salt and black pepper.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts and punch each one down, shaping it into an oval or round.
- Brush olive oil over each one then spread the lamb topping over them.
- Bake the pizzas for 20 minutes each, working in batches if you need to.
- They are done when they are golden and crispy.
- Whisk the lemon juice and tahini, then add some salt and black pepper.
- Drizzle the tahini mixture over the cooked pizzas then pine nuts over them.
- Scatter chopped parsley over the pizzas or add sprigs of parsley, as you prefer.
- Serve right away, while they are still hot, with some or all of the optional side dishes.
Photo by: Suat Eman, at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Some More Hot Content For You
- Best Tweed Jackets for WomenTweed suits and the best tweed jackets for women make a fashion statement and you can buy some gorgeous pieces. Look at some of the best tweed jackets for woman and find something which is perfect for you. They are warm, stylish and comfortable. Buy a tweed jacket and you can be the envy of your friends. Choose from Warm or Cool, Heavy or Light, Thick or Thin Fabric Tweed comes in many different colors and you can get different blends too, perhaps warm wool for a winter jacket or a lighter blend with cotton if you still want the look of tweed during the warmer seasons. Invest in tweed and you will have a staple in your closet which is never .....
- Aberdeen Sausage Starter RecipeThis Aberdeen sausage starter recipe is a very delicious dish that carnivores will love. Beef and bacon are combined with the delicious flavors of Worcestershire sauce, parsley, oats, onion and more to give a delicious starter recipe which can be sliced up and served piping hot or warm from the oven, as you wish. Easy and Tasty This Aberdeen sausage starter recipe is not difficult at all and you will enjoy the flavours in it, especially if you are a sausage fan. Homemade sausages are not something a lot of home cooks make but if you are having guest for dinner and you are out to impress, you could do a lot worse than this recipe, and you .....
- Best Gourmet Food Gift BasketsIf you aren’t sure what to give as a gift, then a gourmet food gift basket is a wonderful idea. Giving the gift of food never gets old. Everyone loves to eat and there are gift baskets for every budget and taste. Choose from the best gourmet food gift baskets to find the perfect one for the occasion. You can get themed gift baskets, perhaps with a range of delicious cheeses and some crackers, or you might prefer something offering nuts, cookies, preserves, wine and more, so there is definitely something for everyone in there. Best Gourmet Food Gift Baskets: Some Ideas Give a gift hamper to a family, couple or individual and personalize .....
- Carrot and Chestnut Soup RecipeCarrot is an ingredient which is used in many different soup recipes and if you make this delicious carrot and chestnut soup recipe, you will discover that it is very tasty alongside chestnuts too. This is a rich and creamy soup as well as being vitamin-rich and very healthy as well. Why Carrot and Chestnut? Carrot and orange soup is a popular type but carrot and chestnut is not so well known. If you often make popular soups such as chicken noodle soup, potato soup, pumpkin soup or beef and tomato soups, why not try this carrot and chestnut soup recipe for a change? Some More Hot Content For You Elegant Old Bay Shrimp Appetizers Perfect Pink .....
- Curried Chicken Waldorf Salad RecipeIf you fancy making a waldorf salad recipe with a twist, try this delicious version with curried chicken. A traditional waldorf salad contains just red apples, mayonnaise and celery and the walnuts came later. You can use more curry paste in this curried chicken waldorf salad recipe if you want, depending how hot you like it. An Interesting Twist Puritans might argue this curried chicken waldorf salad recipe is not actually a “waldorf salad” exactly, because there are other ingredients in the mix which never appeared in the original dish. But I prefer to say this is a twist on the classic recipe, because it features everything .....
- Couscous Salad with Parsley and LimeThis is such a refreshing salad and it’s easy to make. We are using regular couscous but if you like Israeli couscous that is also fine, or you could consider bulgar wheat for a result for like tabbouleh. This couscous salad with parsley and lime is zingy, refreshing and really tasty. The key to making a good couscous salad is freshness. I find the more fresh ingredients it contains the better it is, so grab some tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and limes, along with the other ingredients, and you will be able to rustle up this delicious dish and experience all the amazing fresh flavors the way they are supposed to be enjoyed. How to Serve .....
- Unusual Japanese ToiletsJapanese toilets have become a popular addition to many bathrooms all over the world, as people are realizing these top-quality additions are perfect in every way. Unusual Japanese toilets are something worth finding out more about. They’re just intriguing! The toilets which you can find in Japan are typically more advanced than toilets which are manufactured anywhere else in the world. There are two main designs of the toilet commonly found in Japan – the squat toilet and the bidet toilet. The older style squat toilet is often seen in public toilets but this is not a style that appeals to average households who are more included .....
- Mexican Spiced Hot ChocolateWhen the weather is cold outside and you want to sip on something hot and comforting, what better beverage could there be than Mexican spiced hot chocolate? But we are not talking about just any hot chocolate here. There is regular hot chocolate and then there is a south of the border delight! For the ultimate satisfying drink, make some Mexican spiced hot chocolate and allow the chocolate to caress your soul while the spices offer added warmth and flavor. Nice and Spicy Chipotle chili pepper and cinnamon add a lovely touch to this Mexican spiced hot chocolate, and you will love the finished flavor. Feel free to use your favorite cocoa or .....
- Octopus and Squid Stir FryLast night I decided to make seafood so I grabbed some raw squid (calamari) tubes and also 2 cooked octopus legs. I had an idea of how to cook them but wasn’t sure how to reheat the octopus without it going tough. I really wanted an octopus and squid stir fry though, so I went ahead with it. On the package it said to give it a couple of minutes in the microwave but I wasn’t keen on that idea. Instead I prepared a stir-fry type dish with the squid, then added the octopus at the end and just stirred it into the rest of the mixture until it was warmed through. It came out really well and octopus and squid stir fry is something I .....
- Types of Chinese TeaWhy not pair your crispy fried crab Rangoon wontons with a refreshing cup of Chinese tea? There are many types of Chinese tea to choose from so you can quench your thirst and enjoy the delicious, fragrant taste. Chinese tea has a long history and the tea-drinking ritual has been around for over 1000 years. The Chinese were the first to discover the flavor of tea leaves, and tea is an integral part of daily life in China. Chinese tea used to be divided into four grades, depending on quality, and the Chinese tea culture was developed a lot during the Ming and Song dynasties, popularizing it in neighboring countries such as Korea and Japan. .....