Lamb Coconut Curry with Sweet Potato
This lamb coconut curry with sweet potato recipe uses ground lamb rather than stewing lamb, and also includes sweet potato and peas, if you like, along with coconut milk, garlic, ginger, and curry powder to season it and add the flavors. This is a winter warmer and something lovely to enjoy on a chilly evening, to make a change from the beef or chicken curry recipes you usually prepare.
An easy curry recipe to make, this lamb coconut curry with sweet potato dish is sure to appeal to all the family, and if you wish to tweak it, for example by swapping the sweet potato for pumpkin, the peas for garbanzo beans, or hot curry powder instead of the mild kind, go ahead and you can really make this recipe your own.
I have made this lamb coconut curry with sweet potato a few times and really love it. It is good with rice or you could serve it with paratha or naan, or another Indian bread variety. The savory flavor of the lamb is incredible with the sweet potato, contrasting wonderfully, and there are various textures to enjoy in this dish too.
Easy One-Pot Curry
What makes this lamb coconut curry with sweet potato dish easy is the fact the curry is made in one pot, so once you have gathered your ingredients together, just add them to the pot in the correct order, following the steps in our recipe, and your reward will be a fragrant, amazing curry that you will really enjoy to the max.
I love making this lamb coconut curry with sweet potato recipe, tweaking the flavors sometimes. Lamb has such a wonderful flavor, and it makes a change from other meats. Other ground lamb dishes I love include moussaka, Lebanese meatballs and shepherd’s pie – yum! Stock up on ground lamb if you spot some in the grocery store or butcher’s because it freezes well. Just thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before using it in this lamb coconut curry recipe or a similar dish.
- ½ cup (75g) thawed baby peas
- 14 oz (400g) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1½ lbs (680g) lean ground lamb
- 1 cup (235 ml) low-sodium chicken broth or chicken stock
- ⅓ cup (15g) chopped fresh cilantro or mint leaves
- 1½ tablespoons mild curry powder
- ½ lb (225g) peeled, diced sweet potato
- Salt and black pepper
- Hot sauce, to serve
- Heat the oil in a big skillet until it starts to shimmer, then add the garlic, ginger and onion.
- Cook for 4 minutes or until a bit tender.
- Add the lamb and cook for 10 minutes or until just browning, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the sweet potato and curry powder, then cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, then season with some salt and black pepper.
- Partially cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft.
- Stir in the peas and cook, stirring, for a minute or until they are hot.
- Stir in the cilantro or mint.
- Serve with rice or Indian bread, with hot sauce on the side.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Best Eggplant GratinEggplant has a unique flavor and it works really well as a gratin, when you add a crispy crumb topping and get it really crispy and golden brown. This eggplant gratin could be a side dish for chicken, fish, meat, or even a vegetarian entree served with bread or another starch on the side. Tasty Versatile Eggplant Gratin Eggplant, known as aubergine in some places, is easy to find, and you can do plenty with it such as making the classic dish moussaka, in which it is layered with ground meat, or you can batter it and deep-fry it for a crispy snack, or even take a look at the following eggplant gratin recipe and discover this brand new idea .....
- Treat Yeast Infection at HomeYeast infections don’t always require an embarrassing doctor’s visit. You can treat yeast infection at home once you have the correct diagnosis of the symptoms you are suffering. There is a huge array of different reasons that you may be suffering with the yeast infection, and making small changes to your lifestyle and diet, can make a massive difference. You may be surprised to learn that wearing tight jeans and underwear can increase your chance of suffering with yeast infections, and some birth control pills and steroids may also cause the yeast to grow and spread. This means you need to know treat yeast infection at home. .....
- Easy Creamed Spinach RecipeCreamed spinach makes a lovely side dish and it is very easy to prepare. Try out this easy creamed spinach recipe if you want to make your own from scratch. It really is good. Grab a bag of spinach and then just add some cream cheese and seasonings. The recipe also features some optional ingredients so you can ensure your creamed spinach comes out perfectly for your palate. I usually buy the unwashed spinach and soak the leaves in cold water for a few minutes but you can also get pre-washed fresh spinach. Do use fresh spinach for this recipe for the brightest color and freshest flavor. I haven’t made this with the frozen kind but I .....
- Hungarian Venison Goulash StewThis Hungarian venison goulash stew is a real winter warmer of a recipe, offering amazing comfort food for those chilly fall and winter evenings. An authentic Hungarian recipe, this is sure to fill even the hungriest belly, and it is easy to make as well, even if you are new to cooking venison, new to making stews, or just never made this particular recipe before. The results will be great. Serving Hungarian Venison Goulash Stew Serve this Hungarian venison goulash stew with mashed potatoes, fluffy white rice, dumplings, vegetables, or anything else you want. Personally I like garlic mashed potatoes with plenty of butter mashed into them! .....
- Omuraisu Recipe – Japanese OmeletAlso known as omurice or omu-rice, omuraisu is a typical Japanese dish featuring fried rice and omelet, and often some ketchup too. Omuraisu is a contraction of the Japanese words for omelet and egg. This omuraisu recipe is not hard to make and you will love the flavor. This dish can be found in Western style restaurants in Japan as well as in Japanese homes, and it was also introduced to Korea under Japanese rule. You can find it in Taiwan too which was also under Japanese rule for some time. This dish has been around since the early 1900s. Different Kinds of Omurice Chicken rice, chicken and vegetable rice or beef rice can be wrapped in a .....
- How to Make Satay Sauce in 2 Minutes Using 3 IngredientsYou only need 3 ingredients to make the best satay sauce recipe. It is so easy! Learn how to make satay sauce and you will want to make this often. Satay sauce can be served with chicken or beef kabobs or fries, or you can serve this easy peanut sauce recipe as a dip for pretty much anything. If you’re making some kind of fried rice dish like egg fried rice or nasi goreng, microwave this for 45 seconds or until hot then let it cool for a minute (so it thickens back up) and it will be an amazing accompaniment. How to Make It Like a Pro When you know how to make satay sauce, you will want to perfect this skill. The key to making it is to .....
- Best Indian Omelet RecipeThis omelet makes a great side dish for a curry if you don’t want to serve rice or naan bread or if you are looking for low carb side dish ideas. You can also eat it by itself as a meal or snack. This is the best Indian omelet recipe to choose if you are looking to spice things up a little and enjoy a brand new flavor. What is in the Best Indian Omelet Recipe Along with the eggs which are of course the main ingredient in any omelet, we are using spinach, shallots, cilantro, turmeric and chili. You can omit the spinach if you want, or replace it with sliced mushrooms. You can also swap the shallots for a small yellow onion or omit the .....
- Which Dishes to MakeDeciding which dishes to make is not always so easy. There is no clear cut answer to that question but you narrow the possibilities down. Choose from hot or cold starters, meat, fish or vegetarian ones, something quick and easy or something impressive. Maybe you already know that two of your guests don’t like pork and it is going to be a hot evening. That can make it easier. What about a chilled chicken salad or a classic prawn cocktail? If you are new to cooking and already nervous about making starters, a main course and a dessert, then don’t pick something complicated! You won’t be impressing anyone if it goes wrong. .....
- How to Make Mulled WineMulled wine is a hot beverage which is popular during the chillier months. This red wine-based cocktail is really flavorful and you will be able to taste the spices and fruit which go into it. Once you know how to make mulled wine you will often want to prepare it for chilly fall and winter evenings. Our recipe is made with apple cider or juice, red wine and other flavorings. It is actually tastier the day after you make it and even more so the following day if you have any left by then! Mulled wine is nice served in clear mugs so you can see the lovely color, and you can decorate the glasses with some orange zest or orange slices. How to .....
- Authentic Nasi Goreng RecipeNasi goreng means ‘fried rice’ in Indonesian as well as Malay, and it can be fried rice, a meal with stir-fried rice, or a salted dried fish mixture with rice. The main ingredient in an authentic nasi goreng recipe is always the rice, so if you are looking for something to make with leftover rice, keep reading and discover this wonderful Indonesian dish. Authentic Nasi Goreng Recipe Ingredients Known as the national dish of Indonesia, the best nasi goreng recipe is whichever mixture you like, perhaps rice with kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), egg, chicken, shrimp, garlic, and shallot, or perhaps you favor mushrooms and peas, or .....