Stovetop Shepherd’s Pie
If you are in the mood for shepherd’s pie and wondering whether it can be made if you don’t have an oven, the answer is yes, you will be pleased to hear. Try this stovetop shepherd’s pie for dinner. The kids will love it and so will you!
Shepherd’s pie is like cottage pie but made with lamb (hence the shepherd reference) rather than beef. This is something which appeals to kids and adults alike, because everyone loves the harmony you get when combining the juicy meat mixture with the wonderful potato topping.
Some home cooks will make their stovetop shepherd’s pie recipe quite basic, topping a gently flavored meat mixture with mashed potatoes, while others like to add diced vegetables to the meat mixture, and even baked beans or other kinds of beans.
Gravy combines with the meat mixture to ensure it is moist and rich tasting. Is your mouth watering yet? That’s what happens when you think about stovetop shepherd’s pie!
How to Make Shepherd’s Pie on the Stove
Not having an oven is no reason to have to miss out on this excellent and delicious stovetop shepherd’s pie recipe. The beef mixture for shepherd’s pie is usually made in a pot on the stove anyway, as is the mashed potato topping, and the baking is just to finish it off and crisp the topping.
Think of it that way and you will see a stovetop shepherd’s pie is perfectly possible. Instead of mashed potatoes this recipe uses grated potato to add a rösti type effect but if you prefer to use mash, by all means go ahead. If you want a recipe for traditional shepherd’s pie in the oven, click here for that recipe instead.
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 crushed cloves garlic
- 2 diced carrots
- 6 diced mushrooms
- 5⅓ oz (150g) lean ground beef
- 14 oz (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato concentrate
- 1 crumbled bouillon cube (stock cube)
- 2 teaspoons gravy granules
- 3 tablespoons water
- 7 oz (200g) can baked beans
- 14 oz (400g) peeled potatoes, grated and squeezed dry in towel
- Rosemary and other herbs
- Salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil and fry the onion and garlic until beginning to brown.
- Add the beef and stir over the heat until the grains are browned and separated.
- Add the carrot and mushroom, cook few minutes then stir in tomatoes, tomato concentrate, bouillon cube and herbs.
- Cook this mixture for 10 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Add the beans.
- Add the gravy granules to the water in a cup and mix well.
- Pour into pan and stir until thickened.
- Lower the heat.
- Heat the spray oil in a wok and fry the potato until browned.
- Place the meat in a dish, top with potato.
- Press down well.
- This is nice served with peas.
This is also a very nice recipe, in the video, offering the perfect St Patrick’s Day meal idea. This Irish shepherd’s pie is ideal for St Paddy’s Day fare. The flavor is amazing.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy 3 Ingredient RecipesThere are easy 3 ingredient recipes for every occasion, season and palate. Perhaps you are in the mood to make a hearty meat dinner or something fancy with fish. It could be that you are looking for easy 3 ingredient recipes for the crockpot because you are going to be out all day and you know you’ll get home late and want to eat dinner and fall into a comfy chair in front of the TV with something already made. Or what about making three ingredient sauces or dips for your meat, fish or chips? Some of our drinks recipes are sure to tempt you too. There are recipes for every skill level, whether you have barely set food in the kitchen .....
- Japanese Beef Teriyaki RecipeThis Japanese beef teriyaki recipe is so delicious. It looks good, smells wonderful and tastes even better. Beef teriyaki is a very popular Japanese dish and can be served as a starter or as part of a main course. Serve this before your chicken or fish main course perhaps, and you can even continue the Asian theme by having a Chinese main dish. What is Teriyaki Sauce? The teriyaki sauce for this Japanese beef teriyaki recipe can be bought or made fresh, and it is a sweet, thick, dark sauce. Chicken is nice with teriyaki and beef is also good.If you like sweet, sticky sauces you will certainly like this one. It offers a typical flavor and .....
- French Manicure VideosA lot of girls have trouble applying a professional looking French manicure This is understandable because not only do you have to pick out the best French manicure nail polishes but you also have to get your nails the right shape, apply the white tip evenly and professionally, and get the result looking beautiful. French manicure videos are very important because you will want the prettiest result! The smallest error is glaringly obvious when painting your nails French manicure colors. So it pays to familiarize yourself with French manicure videos, as well as practicing a lot. What is a French Manicure? To paint a French manicure you need .....
- Easy Tomato and Onion FocacciaFocaccia is a tasty Italian bread which complements all kinds of dishes. Although you can buy it from the bakery or grocery store, making your own easy tomato and onion focaccia loaf is worthwhile because let’s face it – you can’t beat freshly baked bread! And this one is certainly no exception. How to Serve Focaccia You can serve this easy tomato and onion focaccia as an appetizer, either alone or with dips like sour cream dip or onion dip, or else have it with your main dish. If you are having beef, chicken or similar in a sauce, focaccia bread can be used to scoop up every last drop of those yummy meat juices, making it .....
- Baked Chicken Wings with Paprika and CayenneThese baked chicken wings are so good. If you are in the mood for chicken wings but you don’t want to fry them, try this recipe instead because they come out just as crispy as fried wings but are healthier because they aren’t going to be submerged in fat. A Flavorful Coating for Baked Chicken Wings The coating is made with flour, paprika, garlic salt, pepper and cayenne, and the wings are cooked in a little butter to crisp them up and stop them sticking to the baking dish. Swap the cayenne pepper for Hungarian paprika if you want, or the garlic salt for regular salt and a pinch of garlic powder, and the flavor of our baked .....
- Easy Winkles RecipeWinkles are little black shellfish that look like snails. They may be enjoyed as part of a seafood platter or fruits de mer, or you can enjoy them as a snack by themselves, or with some bread and butter, as an easy winkles recipe appetizer. You can buy winkles either cooked or live but if you’re shopping for fresh ones (or picking your own) to make an easy winkles recipe, first you should check the smell. Good winkles smell slightly sweet and like the sea. They might move visibly. Live ones need to be rinsed in plenty of cold water before being soaked in salted water for half an hour before you boil them. Very Easy Winkles Recipe Ideas .....
- Gluten Free Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese RecipeThis grilled lettuce with goat cheese is a delicious starter recipe and is ideal for people who can’t eat gluten. This might be a simple recipe but it tastes really good. You might not have cooked lettuce before but it is perfect in this delicious gluten free recipe. Grilled Lettuce with Goat Cheese: Uh, Cooked Lettuce – Really? Yes, you really can cook lettuce and not end up with a watery mess in the pan. That does not apply to all lettuce though and you will need to choose something which holds its shape quite well like Little Gem or Romaine. The lettuce just needs to be heated up and crisped on the surface touching the pan. .....
- Gorgeous Kitchen Accessories for Every TasteMost people have more technology in their kitchens than in any other room and these items are very useful for preparing all kinds of meals. Cooking is a lot of fun and time-saving appliances, gadgets and kitchen accessories make short work of cooking. Having an attractive kitchen is half the fun too and whether you are looking for retro red kitchen accessories, useful cheap kitchen accessories or something to suit your individual tastes, there is certainly plenty for you to choose from. Cooking is a stress reducer and sadly many people rely on quick, easy meal recipes rather than focus on making good quality food. Kitchen gadgets cut down on .....
- Choosing Kitchen Cabinets and CountersThe kitchen is the heart of the house, so choosing kitchen cabinets and counters is something you ought to take your time doing. This room is where you make delicious meals, congregate during parties and get the family together for a relaxing dinner. But even though you might have all the best kitchen gadgets, your kitchen cabinets and kitchen counters might need replacing. Why Replace Them Anyway Perhaps your cabinets are too small or they do not match the rest of the kitchen, which is why you are choosing kitchen cabinets and counters. Before you rush out to buy new ones, there are a few things to think about. How many cabinets do you need .....
- The Evolution of Starter RecipesIt’s interesting to learn about the evolution of starter recipes. Starters, or appetizers as they are also known, are served in most cuisines and cultures. These snacks were served in ancient Persia thousands of years ago and ancient Roman aristocracy used to enjoy eggs, fruit and similar treats before eating their main course. Appetizers have been served for many years in the UK as a snack before the main course arrived but modern ones can be quite different from old fashioned ones. Of course, you can still serve traditional recipes but it is also fun to experiment with the wide range of ingredients that are available today but that .....