Stovetop Shepherd’s Pie
If you are in the mood for shepherd’s pie and wondering whether it can be made if you don’t have an oven, the answer is yes, you will be pleased to hear. Try this stovetop shepherd’s pie for dinner. The kids will love it and so will you!
Shepherd’s pie is like cottage pie but made with lamb (hence the shepherd reference) rather than beef. This is something which appeals to kids and adults alike, because everyone loves the harmony you get when combining the juicy meat mixture with the wonderful potato topping.
Some home cooks will make their stovetop shepherd’s pie recipe quite basic, topping a gently flavored meat mixture with mashed potatoes, while others like to add diced vegetables to the meat mixture, and even baked beans or other kinds of beans.
Gravy combines with the meat mixture to ensure it is moist and rich tasting. Is your mouth watering yet? That’s what happens when you think about stovetop shepherd’s pie!
How to Make Shepherd’s Pie on the Stove
Not having an oven is no reason to have to miss out on this excellent and delicious stovetop shepherd’s pie recipe. The beef mixture for shepherd’s pie is usually made in a pot on the stove anyway, as is the mashed potato topping, and the baking is just to finish it off and crisp the topping.
Think of it that way and you will see a stovetop shepherd’s pie is perfectly possible. Instead of mashed potatoes this recipe uses grated potato to add a rösti type effect but if you prefer to use mash, by all means go ahead. If you want a recipe for traditional shepherd’s pie in the oven, click here for that recipe instead.
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 crushed cloves garlic
- 2 diced carrots
- 6 diced mushrooms
- 5⅓ oz (150g) lean ground beef
- 14 oz (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato concentrate
- 1 crumbled bouillon cube (stock cube)
- 2 teaspoons gravy granules
- 3 tablespoons water
- 7 oz (200g) can baked beans
- 14 oz (400g) peeled potatoes, grated and squeezed dry in towel
- Rosemary and other herbs
- Salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil and fry the onion and garlic until beginning to brown.
- Add the beef and stir over the heat until the grains are browned and separated.
- Add the carrot and mushroom, cook few minutes then stir in tomatoes, tomato concentrate, bouillon cube and herbs.
- Cook this mixture for 10 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Add the beans.
- Add the gravy granules to the water in a cup and mix well.
- Pour into pan and stir until thickened.
- Lower the heat.
- Heat the spray oil in a wok and fry the potato until browned.
- Place the meat in a dish, top with potato.
- Press down well.
- This is nice served with peas.
This is also a very nice recipe, in the video, offering the perfect St Patrick’s Day meal idea. This Irish shepherd’s pie is ideal for St Paddy’s Day fare. The flavor is amazing.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Wonton Recipes with PorkWontons are great when served as a snack or appetizer and if you have only ever eaten meat ones in a Chinese restaurant or had them from a takeout, you really are in store for a treat when you make your own easy wonton recipes with pork. Any home cook will be able to manage this recipe without too much effort although, like with most dishes, the more you make these, the easier the process will seem to become. Different Cooking Methods for Easy Wonton Recipes with Pork Deep-fry them for crispy, crunchy snacks, or steam or simmer them for a softer result. You could even poach them in your favorite broth for a wonderfully warming lunch or .....
- Chicken Biryani with DrumsticksThis tasty Indian dish, chicken biryani with drumsticks, offers an incredible flavor and it is not difficult to prepare. I had my first authentic Indian biryani when I was backpacking around India and the flavor really blew me away. This recipe originated in the Indian subcontinent or Persia, and it is enjoyed all over Central and South Asia, as well as in the Middle East. Rice, spices and meat and/or vegetables are the main ingredients. Biryani may be compared to pulao rice but biryani is usually cooked with layered meat and rice and pulao is not layered at all. Chicken biryani with drumsticks is usually a main dish while pulao tends to be .....
- Mac Makeup BrushesMac makeup brushes are used by professionals all over the world and if you want to buy discount Mac makeup brushes that is completely possible. This brand is really famous and offers high quality. Brush Choices Mac makeup brushes review websites will provide you with all of the information you need to determine which brushes you want to purchase. There are several different brushes to choose, which will ensure that you can apply your makeup with ease. All of the makeup brushes are made from top quality materials, ensuring that you are buying only the best. Some More Hot Content For You Handy Electric Cookware Reviews Easy Cream Cheese .....
- Edamame Noodle Salad with AlmondsThis edamame noodle salad is a fantastic recipe and boasts wonderful Asian accents in every mouthful. Making this edamame salad recipe couldn’t be simpler. You just need to prepare and combine the salad ingredients, whisk all the dressing ingredients together then combine the lot to make a colorful, healthy salad. This is a vegetarian edamame salad but swapping the honey for agave nectar makes this a vegetarian edamame salad if you want to do that instead. If you aren’t vegetarian or vegan, feel free to add some shredded cooked chicken breast to the mix. This edamame noodle salad makes a great lunch and because there are no .....
- How to Cook Gammon SteakGammon steak is one of the most delicious treats you can have for your dinner. Learn how to cook gammon steak and you will be able to make a delicious meal. If you have not enjoyed this juicy treat in a while you might be in the mood for it tonight, in which case read on and find out how to prepare it like a pro for juicy and succulent results. Gammon steak cooks quickly and some people accidentally overcook it, which you will want to avoid. What is Gammon Steak Anyway? If you are in the UK you will probably already know what gammon is, but our friends across the Pond might not! Gammon comes from an Old Northern French word .....
- Couscous Salad with Parsley and LimeThis is such a refreshing salad and it’s easy to make. We are using regular couscous but if you like Israeli couscous that is also fine, or you could consider bulgar wheat for a result for like tabbouleh. This couscous salad with parsley and lime is zingy, refreshing and really tasty. The key to making a good couscous salad is freshness. I find the more fresh ingredients it contains the better it is, so grab some tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and limes, along with the other ingredients, and you will be able to rustle up this delicious dish and experience all the amazing fresh flavors the way they are supposed to be enjoyed. How to Serve .....
- Amethyst Engagement Rings | 10 of the Most BeautifulAmethyst is a beautiful stone and a great choice for an engagement ring. I’ve found 10 stunning amethyst engagement rings which you are free to drool over! Not everyone wants a classic diamond solitaire. Some women prefer something more unique, which resonates with their personality more than a classic diamond. If you find amethyst magical, mystical or just beautiful consider amethyst engagement ring ideas and see which style resonates with what you personally love. Amethyst is usually a purple color but you can also get a green variety which is even more unusual. You can pair amethyst with white, yellow or rose gold, or even silver or .....
- Greek Lamb CrackslawGreek seasonings work their magic in this special crack slaw recipe, while the meat and veggies are sure to fill you up. This Greek lamb crackslaw makes a change from the Asian crackslaw recipes you might be more familiar with, but if you are looking for something different this recipe is ideal. Ground lamb is used instead of another kind of ground meat, and it makes a great substitute because it is naturally quite fatty which means it comes out succulent and juicy. Fantastic Flavors The Greek flavors in this Greek lamb crackslaw recipe come from the addition of tomatoes, herbs and lemon juice. You can also add some black olives if you like. .....
- Which Starter to Serve with Your Main CourseChoosing which starter to serve alongside your main course may seem like a straightforward task; however there are several different elements that you need to consider. When you are planning your menu, you may be surprised to know that you need to choose your main course first. Once this has been selected, you can begin to build the rest of the dinner around this core dish. The main course that you choose is often considered to be the focal point of the whole meal; this means the starter will simply be there to complement the dish. There are basic guidelines and rules that are used to ensure that you do not make any mistakes whilst selecting .....
- Hot Honey and Lemon Drink for the FluNobody likes to be suffering with a cold or the flu but if you are unfortunate enough to have it, then the good news is there is a wonderful hot honey and lemon drink for the flu you can make yourself quickly and easily, which will help you feel better. All you need are honey and lemon to make this hot honey and lemon drink for the flu, as well as some hot water, so while the kettle is coming to a boil, you can squeeze some fresh lemon juice. If you don’t have any lemons then squeezy lemon juice will do at a pinch. You might also want to add some whiskey, brandy or your favorite liquor. Although this does not do much for your cold or .....