Bamboo Shoot and Pork Wonton
Here we are looking at making bamboo shoot and pork wonton. Pork and shrimp might sound like a strange combination but as wonton fans everywhere know, it is a magical mixture! Add bamboo shoots, green onions and a few other choice ingredients and you have wonton soup to die for. These wontons are meaty, fish and full-flavored.
If you use water, then you will get soft wontons. Wontons are boiled in liquid when you want them to be soft and fried when you want a crispy finish. Another way to get a soft finish is to steam the wontons. This bamboo shoot and pork wonton recipe is easy to make and even if you’re new to wonton making you will be happy with the ease of preparation.
The heat of the steam cooks them and the wetness of the steam keeps them soft and sticky. Both boiling and steaming are reasonably quick ways to cook wontons. These bamboo shoot and pork wontons are sure to come out right.
This bamboo shoot and pork wonton recipe would be ideal for any occasion, whether you are in the mood for a warming lunch or whether you want an appetizer for a dinner party or family meal. Feel free to use ground chicken or turkey instead of ground pork if you want a slightly different flavor, or if you have some to use up.
- 12 oz (350g) ground pork
- 6 blanched Chinese cabbage leaves
- 1 ½ quarts (1 ½ litres) chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- 4 oz (110g) finely chopped raw shelled shrimp
- 2 oz (55g) finely chopped bamboo shoots
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 thinly sliced green (spring) onions
- 1 lightly beaten egg white
- 1 ½ teaspoons Chinese rice wine
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 85 wonton wrappers
- Fresh dill and sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Combine the shrimp and pork in a big bowl with the sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, wine and pepper. Stir in the water, a tablespoon at a time. Stir in the green onions and the bamboo shoots and let the mixture sit for half an hour.
- Blend in the sesame oil, then add the egg yolk right before filling the wonton wrappers. Add a teaspoon of the pork mixture to the center of a wonton wrapper.
- Wet the wrapper edges and fold the the whole thing in half to make a triangle, pressing the edges together. Add some egg white on one tip and fold the others together, using more egg white to seal. Repeat with the other wontons.
- Heat the stock gently in one pan and bring water to a boil in another bigger one. When the water begins to boil, add the wontons, about 20 at a time. Each batch will take about 3 minutes to cook. Once the wontons are floating, they are ready to remove.
- Take them out carefully and put them into the stock. Keep going until all the wontons are cooked. Garnish with dill and sesame seeds, if you like.
These bamboo shoot and pork wonton bites are very plain-looking so you might like to add a green garnish to give the dish some freshness, perhaps dill weed and sesame seeds like shown in the picture, or maybe some cilantro or even fresh mint leaves. You can toast the sesame seeds if you want, to make them more aromatic and darker in color.
To toast sesame seeds, put them in a small frying pan over a low heat and let them cook in the dry pan (don’t add oil or butter), shaking the pan often. When they are fragrant and golden brown they are done. Serve these pork wontons warm, perhaps with a tasty dipping sauce, unless you are serving them with the stock.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Gorgeous Mystic Topaz RingsAlso known as rainbow topaz, mystic topaz is a semi-precious gemstone. It has a high hardness and refractive index as well as not being sensitive to chemicals. This means it is a good stone to make jewelry and will last for many years. Invest in mystic topaz rings and you’ll have something you want to wear all the time. What is Mystical About It? Mystic topaz is colorless topaz which has been enhanced with a hi-tech process to give a rainbow effect. The better the original stone used, the better the end result will be, and this means the quality, polish and cut. So if you start with a high quality colorless stone you will end up with a .....
- Indian Ground Beef with Fresh Tomato SaladThis Indian ground beef recipe is just amazing and I have made it 5 or 6 times. Despite beef not being the most popular meat in India (the Holy Cow and all that) it works beautifully with this recipe and these seasonings, so if you are into beef and you want to make something Indian, consider this recipe. The ingredients in this Indian ground beef dish work amazingly together and the finished dish is just heaven on a plate. You will cook the beef and onion, then add chickpeas, curry powder and stock. This mixture is served spooned over naan bread with a fresh tomato and cilantro salad......
- Ideas for StartersYou might already have some thoughts in your mind of which recipe you want to make, and some clever ideas for starters for your next meal or dinner party. Perhaps you fancy making a hot chicken or beef dish. What about chicken sate, mini beef rissoles or something spicy? Maybe you were thinking about making vol-au-vents or a fruity salad, in which case they are good, wholesome and classic dishes too. But what about if you are totally stuck for inspiration and starter ideas? The best way to decide which ideas for starters to go with is to ask yourself a few questions. If you don’t already have ideas for starters, think about your .....
- Top Benefits of YogaYoga is something that people overlook when talking about exercise. I mean how can it not be – it’s something that people only do for fun, right? Wrong, yoga is amazing in the benefits that it produces and the effect it has on people’s lives. There are benefits of yoga a lot of people don’t realize. You may see people bending and twisting their bodies in weird ways when you think about advanced yoga or even yoga for beginners, but in fact it’s something completely different. Yes, it does include stretching and it should be done when starting yoga. Although, if you’ve been doing yoga for a few years now, .....
- Sesame SeedsSesame is a flowering plant and it is naturalized and cultivated for its edible seeds. Sesame seeds are believed to be the oldest oilseed crop and has been domesticated for more than 5000 years. The plant is drought-tolerant, making it a ‘survivor crop’ – capable of growing where most other crops would fail. In 2010, more than 3.84 million metric tons of sesame seeds were harvested in the world, the largest producer of which was Myanmar. India exported the most and Japan was the biggest importer. Sesame has one of the highest oil contents of any seed. This rich, nutty-tasting ingredient is used in many different cuisines, .....
- 7 Ways to Cook Salmon FiletsThere are plenty of ways to cook salmon filets, which is good news if you love this tasty, healthy fish. Salmon is one of the most popular choices when it comes to fish, along with tuna and cod. These 3 fish are often known as ‘the big 3’ because they are so popular. Salmon has a distinctive flavor which pairs well with just about any cuisine, whether you are adding teriyaki and sesame seeds, hoisin or soy sauce for an Asian feel, lemon and parsley along with white wine for a Western European dish, or even barbecue sauce, avocado and tortillas for a Tex-Mex feast. So what are some of the ways to cook salmon filets? Well salmon can be baked, .....
- Hummus Recipe No TahiniYou can make a perfectly delicious hummus recipe no tahini in a couple of minutes. In fact a hummus recipe without tahini is just as good as the traditional kind. However you choose to enjoy your hummus – served as a dip with breadsticks or veggie crudites, or paired with homemade falafel in pita bread, you will love this version. As well as the chickpeas, which are also known as garbanzo beans, you are going to need oil, garlic, lemon, cumin and salt. Those ingredients will help you get the right hummus recipe no tahini texture along with the perfect flavor. You might want to thin it with a bit more water and/or add more salt to get .....
- Creamy Mushroom StroganoffThis creamy mushroom stroganoff recipe is so good. Combining mushrooms with onion and celery, this nutrient-rich dish is flavored with mixed herbs, basil and stock. You can use chicken or vegetable stock, as you wish. A little parsley and some sour cream is all you need to add to this mixture to finish it off well, perfecting both the flavor and texture of the dish. You might be more familiar with beef stroganoff but this exciting creamy mushroom stroganoff dish is also nice when you use an earthy vegetable to make it and mushrooms are idea. Celery also goes well in this. You can use full-fat or reduced-fat sour cream or crème fraîche to .....
- Best Vertigo Treatment to Stop the Room SpinningFirst things first, what is vertigo? To sum up, it is a dizzy feeling. If you have it, the room will seem to be spinning or moving. It can be linked to inner ear or eyesight disorders and the only way to get rid of it is to find the best vertigo treatment. Dizziness is something most of us experience now and then but vertigo is a feeling of spinning or tilting, a persistent sense of motion which you feel when there is nothing moving. How Does It Feel? Nausea, vomiting and/or sweating can accompany it, and in severe cases you can’t even walk down the street in a straight line because it feels like everything is moving or tilting. It .....
- The Benefits of Cooking Authentic Chinese RecipesAuthentic Chinese recipes are incredibly popular and have several different benefits, which is why more people than ever before are searching for the best recipe ideas. You might enjoy Chinese food but it’s fair to say that authentic Chinese recipes will taste very different. Once you have discovered several different recipes to try at home, you can begin to enjoy these benefits and appreciate real Chinese food for what it really is. Why Choose Authentic Chinese Recipes? Chinese food is considered to be incredibly healthy and very fast to make, ensuring that it is the perfect snack food......