British Bangers and Mash Recipe
What is bangers and mash, you might be wondering, and how do you make a British bangers and mash recipe? Well, one of the most popular examples of British comfort food, bangers and mash is a dish of bangers (sausages) with mash (mashed potatoes). It is usually served with thick brown onion gravy drizzled over the top.
I like to use plenty of onions in this British bangers and mash recipe or even forgo the sauteed onions and make a delicious onion gravy. You can use any gravy you want, either making it the lazy way with gravy granules or, if you prefer, making your own from scratch.
What Kind of Sausages for a British Bangers and Mash Recipe?
Choose big, fat sausages for making a British bangers and mash recipe. It is not a recipe for chipolatas or dainty little cocktail sausages. Although you can use pork sausages, beef ones are really good here, or you might like to try venison sausages to take this dish a little more upmarket; if so, add some minced garlic to the mashed potato.
Do you want to serve something with this British bangers and mash recipe? Consider broccoli, green beans or another green vegetable to round out the meal. Carrots would also work here.
For the drink, what about a cold apple cider or glass of beer? A light, fruity red wine (very lightly chilled) would also work if you are serving this British bangers and mash recipe and you want some wine. This makes an excellent weekday recipe for the whole family. It serves 8 so you can halve the recipe unless your family is huge or you are having friends over too!
- 8 peeled, quartered large baking potatoes
- 2 teaspoons butter
- ½ cup (125ml) milk (you might not need this much)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1½ lbs (625g) good quality, large beef or pork sausages
- ½ diced yellow onion
- 1 cup brown gravy, to serve
- Fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Boil the potatoes in water for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, then mash with a teaspoon of butter and as much of the milk as you need to get it nice and creamy but not too gloopy.
- When it is smooth, add some salt and pepper.
- Cook the sausages in a skillet until they are hot through.
- Take them out of the skillet.
- Put the other teaspoon of butter in the skillet and then saute the onions in there until tender.
- Make your favorite gravy recipe (or use a package and follow the instructions on there).
- Pour half the gravy into a casserole dish to coat the bottom (use a square or rectangular dish).
- Now add the sausages and onions on top, then add the rest of the gravy, and then the mashed potatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown, then serve hot, perhaps garnished with fresh parsley sprigs if liked.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Creamy Mushroom StroganoffThis creamy mushroom stroganoff recipe is so good. Combining mushrooms with onion and celery, this nutrient-rich dish is flavored with mixed herbs, basil and stock. You can use chicken or vegetable stock, as you wish. A little parsley and some sour cream is all you need to add to this mixture to finish it off well, perfecting both the flavor and texture of the dish. You might be more familiar with beef stroganoff but this exciting creamy mushroom stroganoff dish is also nice when you use an earthy vegetable to make it and mushrooms are idea. Celery also goes well in this. You can use full-fat or reduced-fat sour cream or crème fraîche to .....
- Best Traditional Pad Thai RecipeI never get tired of this wonderful dish – it really is the best traditional Pad Thai recipe. The rice noodles, shrimp, tamarind, nuts, lime juice and other ingredients work together in perfect harmony and the flavor is simply wonderful. The full name of pad thai (sometimes spelt pat thai) is kway teow pad thai, which means stir-fried rice noodles in a Thai style, and it is thought to be a southern Chinese dish which was introduced to Thailand in the mid-20th century. Pad Thai Noodles It is important to cook the noodles perfectly in order to make the very best traditional Pad Thai recipe. You will need ‘rice sticks’ which .....
- Thai Vegetarian CrackslawIf you want to try something brand new, this Thai vegetarian crackslaw recipe offers an aromatic Asian flavor. Use Quorn, TVP (textured vegetable protein) or your favorite vegetarian meat alternative as well as julienne-cut veggies to make this dish commonly known as veggie crack or vegetable crackslaw. You will love the fragrant Thai flavors this dish offers, and probably want to make it again and again. This dish is low in carbs yet high in flavor. Thai Vegetarian Crackslaw If you want to use meat or poultry by all means go ahead. Just ensure it is fully cooked before adding the other ingredients to the pan. This recipe offers a wonderful .....
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup RecipeThis delicious cream of cauliflower soup recipe is thick and creamy. If you want to make the best cream of cauliflower soup recipe, this is a very nice recipe to choose. Each serving offers 150 calories, 12g carbs, 4g protein and 10g fat. This makes a very nice lunch or appetizer. I often make curried soups but occasionally I like to make something creamy, and cauliflower is really good. Mashed cauliflower (like mashed potatoes but with cauliflower) is also very good, and I like to add cauliflower to curries. Cream of Cauliflower Soup Recipe: So Simple and Good What makes this cream of cauliflower soup recipe special is the simplicity of it. .....
- Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée PotsThese are fantastic for Halloween, and suitable for the kids and grownups too. The desserts are served in little jars and you can tie some black ribbon around them to add that festive feel. Why not try this Halloween candy corn brûlée pots this Halloween? The recipe is made in stages. You will be making several layers, then assembling the Halloween candy crème brûlée pots at the end and using a kitchen torch to get the sugar topping nice and crispy. If you don’t have a kitchen torch just omit the last part. Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée pots Make Great Halloween Fare Halloween is a great time to experiment in the kitchen. You can rustle .....
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Sweet PeppersThese cream cheese stuffed sweet peppers are gorgeous and I often make them as a side dish. I like to use the long pointy red peppers, both because of their nice, sweet flavor, and also because of how they lie flat on the plate and don’t fall over. You can use bell peppers if you want, or even chilies if you have a taste for them. Roast these in the oven or broil them if you prefer. Keep an eye on them. You will be able to see when they are done. Tweak if You Wish It is perfectly possible to tweak this cream cheese stuffed sweet peppers recipe based on what you have. I have made these with just the peppers and the cream cheese before .....
- How to Poach an Egg like a ProPerfect poached eggs are a tasty idea for breakfast, perhaps with buttered toast and some bacon or sausage. They can also be served as a garnish or side dish with meat. You might be wondering how to poach an egg like a pro in the microwave, how long to poach eggs or even how long to poach quail eggs since they are so much smaller. The most typical way to poach an egg is in a pan of water on the stove, although we are going to look at microwave poaching as well. Bring a pan of water to a boil and add a pinch of sea salt. Now crack an egg into a cup, then pour it into the water. Repeat with however many eggs you are poaching. They will start .....
- Mexican Cauli RiceKnowing how to make cauliflower rice is very handy whether you are looking for a low-carb substitute for rice, you are trying to cut down your calories, or you simply want to use up a cauliflower or sneak some added nutrients into your meal. Try this Mexican cauli rice dish for yourself and you’ll be amazed how good it is. This Mexican cauliflower rice recipe is simple to prepare, and it is something you can tweak to your heart’s content. The first thing you need to do of course is transform your raw cauliflower into rice-sized pieces, and the easiest way to do this is to put it in the food processor with a blade attachment and .....
- Low Carb Mini Quiches RecipeWhether you serve these low carb mini quiches for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just as a snack, there is no doubt these mini quiches will satisfy your hunger. Eggs are a basic staple on low carb diets because they offer plenty of nutrients, they are filling and tasty, and there are so many recipes you can make with this versatile, budget ingredient. Eggs are great for vegetarians and pescetarians, as well as carnivores. Low Carb Mini Quiches: An Easy Freezy Idea! One great thing about this low carb mini quiches recipe is you can freeze the quiches, then just pop one in the microwave for half a minute. Make a big batch at once and you will .....
- Thai Fried Rice with EggThis is a wonderful side dish to have with chicken, pork or another kind of meat, or you could enjoy it by itself for lunch or a light evening meal. Thai fried rice with egg is similar to the Chinese egg fried rice you might be more familiar with. We are just including typical Thai flavors instead of Chinese ones. This only takes about 5 minutes to make because you are warming up the rice, cooking the vegetables to al dente (which doesn’t take long) and cooking shrimp (which doesn’t take long either!) If you prefer to use chicken or another protein, shredded cooked chicken can be tossed in at the end with the green onions, and .....