Dutch Slavink Recipe – Bacon Wrapped Meatballs
Slavink is a Dutch meat recipe you will spot in grocery stores in the Netherlands, nestled in the pork area. These can best be described as a rectangular meatball wrapped in bacon. Go back in history and you will find a Dutch slavink recipe was originally a small songbird wrapped in bacon.
In the south of Europe you can still find such a dish despite many people trying to outlaw the dish, but the modern Dutch version used ground beef and/or pork instead. In fact many of them use a half beef/half pork mixture to create a Dutch slavink recipe which is popular locally.
Butchers in the Netherlands make their own slavinken, which is the Dutch plural of slavink. We suggest you make a batch of them too because they freeze well. If you want to do this with your Dutch slavink recipe , wrap them individually in plastic wrap and then put them all in one large Ziploc bag. Let them thaw overnight or for at least 12 hours before using.
The size you make the slavinken is up to you. Some people make them big, like one per serving, while others prefer smaller ones – several per serving. Because these Dutch meatballs are wrapped in bacon which releases fat in the pan, you will not need to add much, if any fat to the pan. Serve them with mashed potatoes, mushrooms and onion, for a traditional Dutch recipe.
Different Types of Dutch Slavink Recipe
The regular kind is the main one you find in the Netherlands but there are other variations including meatballs
which are slavinken without the bacon wrapping, ‘blinde vink’ (blind finch) which comprises a ground beef filling and wafer-thin beef slices instead of bacon, or ‘kalfsvink’ where the beef and bacon are swapped for ground veal and wafer-thin veal slices. Now you can see how it’s possible to get creative with a Dutch slavink recipe.
You can also tweak the original Dutch slavink recipe, using any kind of ground meat or even seafood. Try hare, pike, tuna, lamb, or salmon.
Wrap them with prosciutto, smoked salmon, eggplant, or zucchini, and use any herbs or seasonings you want. These of course are not traditionally Dutch but it’s fun to experiment in the kitchen!
If you want to try more Dutch delicacies, I recommend trying my stamppot with kale recipe, especially if you want something hearty!
- 2 lbs (900g) ground pork
- 1 egg
- 48 streaky bacon strips
- 12 crustless slices white sandwich bread
- Black pepper and nutmeg, to taste
- Salt, if needed
- Butter or lard, for frying, if needed
- Dried parsley (optional)
- Soak the bread in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Break the egg into a bowl and beat in the nutmeg, pepper and a little salt with a fork.
- If your bacon is very salty, omit the salt from the filling mixture.
- Squeeze the water out of the bread and mix this into the egg.
- Combine this mixture with the pork and mix well by hand.
- Put a bacon strip on the worktop then lay another bacon strip next to it, long edges touching. Thread a third strip over the first strip and under the second, so you end up with a square.
- Repeat until you have 16.
- Shape the ground pork mixture into 16 large rectangular meatballs.
- Put a meatball on each trio of bacon strips, then fold the ends of the bacon strips over the filling and press them tightly closed.
- If you like, you can dip the 2 short ends in dried parsley for a festive look.
- Fry the slavinken in butter or lard if necessary (depends how fatty the bacon is) for about 5 minutes.
- Flip them over and cook for 5 minutes on the other side or until the core temperature is 160 degrees F (70 degrees C) then serve hot.
This slavink recipes makes enough for 6 to 8 servings with side dishes, but you could serve 16 people 1 each as a hot appetizer if you prefer.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Finnish Beef and Onion Pasties RecipeA wonderful quick recipe which features beef, onion and more. These little Finnish beef and onion pasties are one of our most interesting starter recipes and they are so easy to make. Serve these Finnish beef and onion pasties hot, warm or chilled and you can guarantee they will be popular. In fact you might want to double up the recipe, especially if you are catering for a buffet or a big gathering. Not Too Different from British Food Not everyone is accustomed to eating Finnish food but these Finnish beef and onion pasties could pass for British cuisine. The tasty pastry encloses the beef filling and these hot little treats will certainly .....
- Easy Diabetic Chili RecipeI love chili con carne and find myself making it often, either as a tasty treat for myself or as a shared meal for my husband and I. I usually make a big batch of it so I can enjoy it for lunch the next day, and the next! My husband is diabetic, so I needed to find a tasty low carb diabetic chili recipe which would taste good and look appetizing, and that is when I came up with this one. The ingredients are nutritious and the flavor in this diabetic chili recipe is wonderful. You can tweak this diabetic chili recipe to your heart’s content, swapping the ground beef for chicken or pork, adding more spice (or less!) or swapping the .....
- Cheese Baked OmeletThere are lots of egg recipes to choose from if you want to enjoy eggs for breakfast, and this delicious, filling ingredient can be prepared in various ways. This cheese baked omelet is just one of your options. Boiled, scrambled or fried eggs are always good, or you can make an omelet, either conventionally on the stove, or, if your stove is crowded with other breakfast delights such as bacon, sausage and mushrooms being fried, you can make an omelet in the oven. Keep things easy using just eggs, milk or cream and a little onion to give the omelet some crunch. You can also add extra vegetables like bell pepper, mushrooms or even some .....
- Authentic Malaysian Popiah RecipeThis is such a great Malaysian popiah recipe! Popiah, which literally means ‘thin wafer’ is like an egg roll, or spring roll, and this is common street food in Malaysia, but also found in Taiwan, Medan and Singapore. Shredded vegetables are always found in them, but some also contain shrimp, meat or egg. A Malaysian popiah recipe is a Chinese dish in origin, coming from the Fujian province of China. These little snacks are easy to make. Simply get yourself a package of popiah wrappers (spring roll or egg roll wrappers are fine) and julienne-cut your vegetables. A little salt and pepper is all we are using here for the seasoning .....
- Amazing Quinoa Burger RecipeThese delicious vegetarian burgers are made with quinoa and beans, ensuring they are hearty and appealing to vegetarians and carnivores alike. Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah, is a tasty grain available in health food stores and, these days, most food markets too. It is great for making everything from side dishes to this delicious quinoa burger recipe. Quinoa is actually a pseudocereal, not a true cereal, since it is not in the grass family. Quinoa is closely related to spinach and beetroot. It is high in protein and can be used to make appetizers, entrees, risotto-type dishes, and even burgers. If you have never cooked with this grain, grab .....
- Retro Bathroom IdeasRetro bathroom ideas can be a huge amount of fun, and ensure that you create the ultimate design in your bathroom. People have begun to experiment far more with vibrant colors and exciting features which can help to give you the ultimate bathroom. There are several different retro ideas to look into, which can help you to design the room to your taste, so take your time browsing what is available. A retro bathroom can include a variety of factors to ensure you create the ultimate space to relax and unwind in. However, you need to ensure that you don’t go too far, producing an overboard, kitsch bathroom which lacks taste. Small amounts .....
- Metallic Nail PolishThis product comes in a variety of gorgeous shades and the metallicness offers something special if you want a fashion forward look. Metallic nail polish isn’t for everyone but if you can carry it off it certainly looks stunning. Choose silver or gold for a special occasion, magnetic if you want to make crazy patterns, or something more neutral like bronze or shiny blue or gray for a funky, edge look. Metallic Nail Polish: The Option of Stickers If you do not want to paint anything on, you can get stickers which are nail-shaped stickers that adhere to your nails and look like you’ve had a proper manicure. This is a great way of .....
- Greek Lamb CrackslawGreek seasonings work their magic in this special crack slaw recipe, while the meat and veggies are sure to fill you up. This Greek lamb crackslaw makes a change from the Asian crackslaw recipes you might be more familiar with, but if you are looking for something different this recipe is ideal. Ground lamb is used instead of another kind of ground meat, and it makes a great substitute because it is naturally quite fatty which means it comes out succulent and juicy. Fantastic Flavors The Greek flavors in this Greek lamb crackslaw recipe come from the addition of tomatoes, herbs and lemon juice. You can also add some black olives if you like. .....
- White Food Recipes for After Teeth WhiteningHaving your teeth professionally whitened is the best way to get that gorgeous pearly shade without breaking the bank on veneers or another expensive treatment. The process itself is usually painless although your teeth might be a little sensitive afterwards. You will need white food recipes for after teeth whitening for a couple of days. Even though it’s possible to fashion a menu from the list of ‘allowed’ white foods it’s helpful to have some fresh ideas to keep things interesting! Read on to learn what you can eat after teeth whitening, what you must avoid after teeth whitening, and some more teeth whitening .....
- Pork Potstickers Wonton RecipeThese easy potstickers or soft wontons are nice served with a homemade hot garlic potsticker sauce. You can make this by mashing 4 garlic cloves, ½ teaspoon of Szechuan hot oil and a teaspoon each of sherry and vinegar. Stir in 3 tablespoons of soy sauce and you will have a wonderful garlic sauce. Anyone who loves pork and Chinese cuisine is going to enjoy this pork potstickers wonton recipe because it’s so satisfying. The Perfect Dipping Sauce You can use a bottled garlic sauce if you prefer, or serve this pan-fried pork potstickers wonton recipe with sweet chili sauce. Chinese mustard or hoisin sauce are other options. Perhaps you .....