Dutch Slavink Recipe – Bacon Wrapped Meatballs
Slavink is a Dutch meat recipe you will spot in grocery stores in the Netherlands, nestled in the pork area. These can best be described as a rectangular meatball wrapped in bacon. Go back in history and you will find a Dutch slavink recipe was originally a small songbird wrapped in bacon.
In the south of Europe you can still find such a dish despite many people trying to outlaw the dish, but the modern Dutch version used ground beef and/or pork instead. In fact many of them use a half beef/half pork mixture to create a Dutch slavink recipe which is popular locally.
Butchers in the Netherlands make their own slavinken, which is the Dutch plural of slavink. We suggest you make a batch of them too because they freeze well. If you want to do this with your Dutch slavink recipe , wrap them individually in plastic wrap and then put them all in one large Ziploc bag. Let them thaw overnight or for at least 12 hours before using.
The size you make the slavinken is up to you. Some people make them big, like one per serving, while others prefer smaller ones – several per serving. Because these Dutch meatballs are wrapped in bacon which releases fat in the pan, you will not need to add much, if any fat to the pan. Serve them with mashed potatoes, mushrooms and onion, for a traditional Dutch recipe.
Different Types of Dutch Slavink Recipe
The regular kind is the main one you find in the Netherlands but there are other variations including meatballs
which are slavinken without the bacon wrapping, ‘blinde vink’ (blind finch) which comprises a ground beef filling and wafer-thin beef slices instead of bacon, or ‘kalfsvink’ where the beef and bacon are swapped for ground veal and wafer-thin veal slices. Now you can see how it’s possible to get creative with a Dutch slavink recipe.
You can also tweak the original Dutch slavink recipe, using any kind of ground meat or even seafood. Try hare, pike, tuna, lamb, or salmon.
Wrap them with prosciutto, smoked salmon, eggplant, or zucchini, and use any herbs or seasonings you want. These of course are not traditionally Dutch but it’s fun to experiment in the kitchen!
If you want to try more Dutch delicacies, I recommend trying my stamppot with kale recipe, especially if you want something hearty!
- 2 lbs (900g) ground pork
- 1 egg
- 48 streaky bacon strips
- 12 crustless slices white sandwich bread
- Black pepper and nutmeg, to taste
- Salt, if needed
- Butter or lard, for frying, if needed
- Dried parsley (optional)
- Soak the bread in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Break the egg into a bowl and beat in the nutmeg, pepper and a little salt with a fork.
- If your bacon is very salty, omit the salt from the filling mixture.
- Squeeze the water out of the bread and mix this into the egg.
- Combine this mixture with the pork and mix well by hand.
- Put a bacon strip on the worktop then lay another bacon strip next to it, long edges touching. Thread a third strip over the first strip and under the second, so you end up with a square.
- Repeat until you have 16.
- Shape the ground pork mixture into 16 large rectangular meatballs.
- Put a meatball on each trio of bacon strips, then fold the ends of the bacon strips over the filling and press them tightly closed.
- If you like, you can dip the 2 short ends in dried parsley for a festive look.
- Fry the slavinken in butter or lard if necessary (depends how fatty the bacon is) for about 5 minutes.
- Flip them over and cook for 5 minutes on the other side or until the core temperature is 160 degrees F (70 degrees C) then serve hot.
This slavink recipes makes enough for 6 to 8 servings with side dishes, but you could serve 16 people 1 each as a hot appetizer if you prefer.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Salmon Patties with BreadcrumbsWhip up some of these easy salmon patties with breadcrumbs and you have a quick and easy evening meal for the whole family. I use canned salmon to make these easy salmon patties but you could use tuna instead or even crab. Just ensure it is drained well before incorporating with the other ingredients. Drain the salmon in a sieve and then combine it with a beaten egg, some onion and breadcrumbs, and that is all you need to add to make easy salmon patties with breadcrumbs. If you want to add extra ingredients though, go ahead and consider herbs, garlic, or anything else you wish to throw in there. I use a food processor to combine the .....
- Chicken and Walnut Pate RecipePaté always makes a great starter and this tasty chicken and walnut pate recipe can be made in minutes. Whole wheat toast is particularly good with this recipe but white toast with this chicken and walnut pate recipe would certainly be fine too. It is up to you, so serve whatever kind of toast you prefer, even offer both whole wheat and white if you have dinner guests and are not sure about their preference. Homemade Chicken Walnut Pate? Yum! Making your own chicken and walnut pate recipe is such a good idea because, let’s face it, shop-bought pate is nothing special. Anyone can buy pate and serve it with toast and then what is going .....
- Top Tips for Gorgeous FoodStarters are supposed to make people want to tuck into them, so choosing a nice garnish as well as the best recipes is important. Learn some top tips for gorgeous food and find out how to present the most gorgeous looking dishes imaginable. You can even serve something basic like raw broccoli and carrot pieces with a dip in style. Make sure you only use perfect crudites and make them all the same size. Present the dip in a nice bowl and arrange the crudites around the outside. You can make any meal look good, even if it is something quite plain and not colorful. That’s what tips for gorgeous food are all about. Take meatballs for .....
- Asian Meatballs with Sweet Chili SauceThis is a wonderful recipe and it is also low in carbs. I love this Asian meatballs with sweet chili sauce recipe because I never get tired of the taste. I used to own the site Crackslaw.com where you could find out how to make all kinds of crack slaw recipes, something else that offers a wonderful Asian flavor. I’ve since moved them all on to this blog, so look at our low carb category and you will find plenty more ideas. Anyway, back to the Asian meatballs with sweet chili sauce. I had some ground beef to use up and some other bits and pieces and I asked my sister for inspiration and she came up with the idea to make these delicious .....
- How to Make Wontons Like a ProThe first thing you need to do when making wontons is familiarize yourself with how these bite-sized treats are made, and find out what you need to make wontons. Knowing how to make wontons doesn’t require a whole lot of training. Practice makes perfect and really, it’s easy! You also need to decide what type of wonton recipe you wish to prepare. Do you want to make a classic wonton soup recipe or would you like to start off with baked wontons or fried ones? You can even steam them if you have a bamboo steamer and you want a softer texture. Once you have found a good recipe for your wonton filling, you can assemble your wontons .....
- Classic Deviled Eggs RecipeDeviled eggs are wonderful as a starter recipe. The eggs are boiled, then cut in half lengthwise. Mash the yolk with mayonnaise and seasonings to make a delicious filling, then garnish this classic deviled eggs recipe with fresh herb sprigs. The resulting dish will look great and taste great too. This is something you can make in about 15 minutes, so if you are looking for starter recipes for a dinner party or something for last minute guests, this could become your go-to recipe. Tips for Delicious Deviled Eggs Some people like to add plenty of spice when making a classic deviled eggs recipe, and that could be chili powder, Tabasco sauce or .....
- Yummy 3 Minute Ice Coffee RecipeI have always loved ice coffee but find it prohibitively expensive in the coffee shops. There are plenty of ice coffee recipes online but many are too time-consuming to bother with, advising you to brew the coffee for 18 hours with mint leaves or add an array of ingredients which you probably don’t already have. That was my inspiration behind this 3 minute ice coffee recipe. The following recipe is for a basic ice coffee but of course you can jazz it up however you wish, adding syrups, sprinkles and cream on top, a shot of liqueur or whatever tickles your taste buds today. Flavored Syrups for this 3 Minute Ice Coffee Recipe I have a .....
- Choosing the Best Refrigerator to BuyA refrigerator is a durable appliance and you should choose something you will be happy with for the long term. It is important to research different refrigerators before picking one for this reason. The best refrigerator to buy depends on various factors. The first thing to think about is how much you can afford to spend, then the style you like and the energy saving requirements you have. A mini refrigerator such as a Fosters Husky mini 50l fridge, or another small one, might be what you need or maybe a large fridge-freezer is better suited to your requirements and one of the best refrigerator to buy to fit your needs. Maybe a camping .....
- Roasted Rainbow CarrotsWhen I first spotted rainbow carrots at the market, I was intrigued. What would they taste like? Would the different colors have different flavors? I just had to buy them and find out for myself, and honestly I was really pleased with the result of my roasted rainbow carrots recipe! Of course there are different ways to cook carrots, perhaps the worst way being roughly chopping them and boiling them to mush. I recommend roasting the carrots for the very best results. They will take a while to become tender because they are quite dense. But allow sufficient time and your result will be a wonderful side dish which is as healthy as it is tasty. .....
- Authentic Thai Chicken Soup RecipeYesterday I decided to get a Thai massage. I suffer from a stiff neck and shoulders. For some reason, I hold all my tension in there! I love a good hot oil massage but the Thai massage is, well slightly different. More ‘painful’ but today I can move really freely and feel great! The woman was literally walking up my legs and back, digging her knees and elbows into me and making me yelp! However, ‘no pain no gain’ as they say, and today I can honestly say I feel great after it. And yes, all that gave me the inspiration to make this authentic Thai chicken soup recipe. Thai Food Inspiration While I was having this .....