Easy Wonton Recipes with Pork
Wontons are great when served as a snack or appetizer and if you have only ever eaten meat ones in a Chinese restaurant or had them from a takeout, you really are in store for a treat when you make your own easy wonton recipes with pork. Any home cook will be able to manage this recipe without too much effort although, like with most dishes, the more you make these, the easier the process will seem to become.
Different Cooking Methods for Easy Wonton Recipes with Pork
Deep-fry them for crispy, crunchy snacks, or steam or simmer them for a softer result. You could even poach them in your favorite broth for a wonderfully warming lunch or supper. Yes wontons really are that versatile and you can choose whether you want them for an appetizer or the main dish, choosing whether you make a few crispy ones to kick off your dinner in style, adding an oriental accent to the meal, or prepare a homemade wonton soup full of delicious homemade wontons.
Another possibility is potstickers, those soft wontons with a crispy side that are made in a pan. Any of these would make a wonderful appetizer or entree. Nothing beats wontons sometimes, and there are easy wonton recipes with pork for every palate.
Meat and shrimp are the two most common fillings for these bite-size delights. Have a look at our recipes or learn some new facts.
Invest in a Bamboo Steamer
This is just the thing for steaming your little dumplings. Simply line the base with lettuce or cabbage leaves, add your filled easy wonton recipes with pork and steam them over boiling water until done. This versatile bamboo steamer is incredibly easy to use.
It’s not just easy wonton recipes with pork you can steam in the bamboo steamer basket. You can also steam thinly sliced vegetables (even potatoes) and the great thing is you don’t need to add oil or fat, so you are cutting down on calories. Steaming food means you will get the best flavor and texture, so try steaming seafood or even dessert.
This bamboo steamer has 3 tiers so you can steam various dishes at once (put the densest item on the bottom). The lid is also bamboo. Choose from lots of bamboo steamer recipes. For a bamboo steamer Target is one place to shop, but this one is durable and has good reviews. Also, ordering from Amazon is safe and easy. When you have a bamboo steamer how to use it is very easy and you can find lots of recipes for bamboo steamers to try out.
Concord 3 Piece 8 Inch Bamboo Steamer, on Amazon
What are Wontons Anyway?
These are Chinese dumplings. They can be deep-fried which makes them crispy, steamed or simmered which makes them soft, or cooked in another way.
These are made by spreading a wrapper flat in the palm of your hand, adding a small amount of filling in the middle, and sealing the wrappers into the desired shape by compressing the edges of the wrapper together with your fingers.
How to Seal Easy Wonton Recipes with Pork
Moistening the wrapper’s inner edges means you get a better adhesion and you can do this by dipping a fingertip into water and running it across the dry dough to dissolve the extra flour. As part of the sealing process, air is pressed out of the interior, so the little dumpling does not open (and leak out the filling) when it is cooked. Making these is something which is so simple it will soon become second nature to you.
Types of Dumplings
The word wan tan (you can spell it any way because the Chinese word is an image not Western letters) is Chinese for “swallowing clouds” which is a nice description of these tasty little treats, and a colorful way of describing easy wonton recipes with pork.
In Cantonese cuisine, shrimp and ground meat ones are usually served with thin noodles to make won ton noodles. Sometimes the dumplings are served with red vinegar.
Authentic Wonton Soup
The soup is made from boiling shrimp shells, meat bones and dried flounder, which results in a unique taste. MSG (monosodium glutamate) might be added to enhance the flavor. Hong Kong ones were introduced to the area after World War II, first as street food and then later on in indoor eateries.
In the Sichuan province of China, semi-pentagonal won tan are known as chao shou which means crossed hands. This is because after initially folding the wrapper into a right triangle, each end of the triangle are pressed against the middle of opposite sides, so the little treats look like crossed arms or hands. These are often served in a sesame paste and chili oil sauce as a dish called “red oil won tan”.
In Shanghai and Jiangnan, the filling is often made with minced pork and bok choy, and served in chicken soup. Saying that, Shanghai cuisine makes a clear distinction between small wontons and big ones.
Small ones are casually wrapped by closing the palm on a wrapper with a dab of pork filling as if you were crumpling a sheet of paper. These are often enjoyed with breakfast or brunch. The big dumplings are carefully wrapped (often so they look like a big tortellini) and a single bowl can be lunch or dinner.
In Ningbo there are two kinds of wonton – steamed ones and the soup. Both are filled with meat and shrimp and this is the type found in Chinese restaurants in the United States.
Wonderful Chinese Soup
Wonton soup is popular in the US, and so are deep-fried pork and shrimp dumplings (and other flavors). In fact many people would say they are one of the most delicious appetizers ever. And nobody ever gets bored of easy wonton recipes with pork.
Non-traditional wonton soup in Canada features pork-filled wan tons and spaghetti noodles, as well as vegetables and BBQ pork in a clear chicken broth.
- 16 oz (450g) pork tenderloin
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 oz (340g) square wonton wrappers
- 2 quarts (2 liters) peanut oil
- 1 beaten egg white
- Soy sauce, as needed
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Cut the meat into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes.
- Combine it with the garlic, green onion, sesame oil, ginger, lime juice, crushed red pepper, and soy sauce in a food processor.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Pulse until the meat is minced to the consistency of ground beef.
- Separate the wrappers and lay them out on a clean surface.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the filling mixture into the middle of each one.
- Moisten the edges of the wrappers with water, fold over the filling to form a triangle, and press together to seal.
- Brush each one with egg white.
- Pour the peanut oil into a large pot and preheat to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- Gently drop the wontons into the hot oil and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Review of Every Yankee Candle Tart ScentI love Yankee Candle Tart Wax Melts and can’t seem to stop buying them! Since I have tried pretty much every scent, I thought I would share my Yankee Candle Tart scent reviews with you, to inspire you to try new scents and discover a new favorite perhaps. I have an electronic tart burner as well as a tea-light one, and my husband and I both like trying new fragrances in our home. The first time I ever tried using wax tart melts was when I found a bargain set in one of the local shops here in Holland including a tea-light burner and a few small melts. They were unbranded and didn’t smell that appealing but I liked the concept and .....
- How to Plan Kitchen ImprovementsIf you want to improve your kitchen it is vital to plan it properly. If you don’t plan well, you might end up with an expensive bad kitchen which you are unhappy with. This is why it’s vital to learn how to plan kitchen layout, improvements and everything else. In the past, kitchen planning involved the stove, sink and refrigerator work triangle and the work surfaces took second place. Today there is a lot more to think about. Do you want a modern style kitchen? Do you want a rustic style kitchen with a kitchen pantry? Do you have your own ideas about how to blend styles to give your kitchen your own personal touch? It is common these .....
- Gorgeous Mystic Topaz RingsAlso known as rainbow topaz, mystic topaz is a semi-precious gemstone. It has a high hardness and refractive index as well as not being sensitive to chemicals. This means it is a good stone to make jewelry and will last for many years. Invest in mystic topaz rings and you’ll have something you want to wear all the time. What is Mystical About It? Mystic topaz is colorless topaz which has been enhanced with a hi-tech process to give a rainbow effect. The better the original stone used, the better the end result will be, and this means the quality, polish and cut. So if you start with a high quality colorless stone you will end up with a .....
- Chicken Biryani with DrumsticksThis tasty Indian dish, chicken biryani with drumsticks, offers an incredible flavor and it is not difficult to prepare. I had my first authentic Indian biryani when I was backpacking around India and the flavor really blew me away. This recipe originated in the Indian subcontinent or Persia, and it is enjoyed all over Central and South Asia, as well as in the Middle East. Rice, spices and meat and/or vegetables are the main ingredients. Biryani may be compared to pulao rice but biryani is usually cooked with layered meat and rice and pulao is not layered at all. Chicken biryani with drumsticks is usually a main dish while pulao tends to be .....
- Catalan Mussels RecipeFresh mussels have their own distinctive flavor and they don’t need much added to them to bring out their natural taste. Mussels and cockles are great for making appetizers, or starter recipes. Mussels steamed are great, as are mussels cooked in other ways. One of the best ways to work with this seafood is to try out this Catalan mussels recipe. Adding Flavor to the Mussels In this Catalan mussels recipe, vinegar, lemon, oil and basil are used to add flavour and the natural mussel recipe taste shines through. This dish is best chilled overnight so allow plenty of time to do that. This is also a bonus if you are planning a number of .....
- Honey Roasted Nuts with RosemaryIf you are looking for an amazing snack, consider this honey roasted nuts with rosemary recipe. You can use any kind of nuts you want, maybe just walnuts or cashews, or a selection of your favorites. Just choose plain ones, not the spiced, salted or already-roasted kind. Walnuts work really well in this honey roasted nuts with rosemary recipe, or you might want to use different ones so people can take a peek and pick out their favorite ones. Make a big batch of this (perhaps double the recipe) if you have a crowd coming over, because the roasted nuts keep for up to a week in an airtight container. The first thing to do when making honey .....
- 4G Internet PhonesAre 4G phone reviews accurate or not so accurate? Before you choose a new 4G phone read the reviews. Checking a 4G internet phones review will ensure that you have all of the relevant information that you need before purchasing the phone. 4G is perhaps not what everone wants but if you want to move with the times and have a super-quick phone and internet connection it is definitely the way forwards. 4G Internet Phones: New Technology 4G internet phones have been promoted as the new technology, which will change the way that people use the Internet. Mobile telecommunications will be altered, and services that seemed too extreme will be .....
- Best Stuffed Squid Recipe with SauceI love making stuffed squid and I enjoy trying out new recipes, but this is the one I usually made because my husband is crazy about it. Use big squid tubes to make this recipe and only fill them two-thirds full so the filling does not expand and come out. This is, in my opinion, the best stuffed squid recipe with sauce. I love the texture, the flavor… everything! You will need to clean the squid first, unless you are using the cleaned type. I usually get ready-cleaned ones, and I can get a package of 5 frozen ones from the Chinese store. I thaw them overnight in the refrigerator and they are great. When cooking the squid, cook them .....
- Traditional English Chicken Pot PiesPot pies make a great meal and, being English, I have tried lots of British pot pie recipes. Although some people claim pot pies are not English, I beg to disagree. English chicken pot pies are not only ‘a thing’ but they are yummy! In the UK if you eat ‘pub grub’ or a simple meal in a pub, you can expect at least one kind of pie on the menu. My own favorite is beef and ale pie, although chicken makes a nice change, either paired with corn or with mushrooms. I like either mashed potatoes or fries with mine, along with baked beans or some kind of vegetable. Although large pies which you can cut into wedges are nice, .....
- Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée PotsThese are fantastic for Halloween, and suitable for the kids and grownups too. The desserts are served in little jars and you can tie some black ribbon around them to add that festive feel. Why not try this Halloween candy corn brûlée pots this Halloween? The recipe is made in stages. You will be making several layers, then assembling the Halloween candy crème brûlée pots at the end and using a kitchen torch to get the sugar topping nice and crispy. If you don’t have a kitchen torch just omit the last part. Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée pots Make Great Halloween Fare Halloween is a great time to experiment in the kitchen. You can rustle .....