Easy Wonton Recipes with Pork
Wontons are great when served as a snack or appetizer and if you have only ever eaten meat ones in a Chinese restaurant or had them from a takeout, you really are in store for a treat when you make your own easy wonton recipes with pork. Any home cook will be able to manage this recipe without too much effort although, like with most dishes, the more you make these, the easier the process will seem to become.
Different Cooking Methods for Easy Wonton Recipes with Pork
Deep-fry them for crispy, crunchy snacks, or steam or simmer them for a softer result. You could even poach them in your favorite broth for a wonderfully warming lunch or supper. Yes wontons really are that versatile and you can choose whether you want them for an appetizer or the main dish, choosing whether you make a few crispy ones to kick off your dinner in style, adding an oriental accent to the meal, or prepare a homemade wonton soup full of delicious homemade wontons.
Another possibility is potstickers, those soft wontons with a crispy side that are made in a pan. Any of these would make a wonderful appetizer or entree. Nothing beats wontons sometimes, and there are easy wonton recipes with pork for every palate.
Meat and shrimp are the two most common fillings for these bite-size delights. Have a look at our recipes or learn some new facts.
Invest in a Bamboo Steamer
This is just the thing for steaming your little dumplings. Simply line the base with lettuce or cabbage leaves, add your filled easy wonton recipes with pork and steam them over boiling water until done. This versatile bamboo steamer is incredibly easy to use.
It’s not just easy wonton recipes with pork you can steam in the bamboo steamer basket. You can also steam thinly sliced vegetables (even potatoes) and the great thing is you don’t need to add oil or fat, so you are cutting down on calories. Steaming food means you will get the best flavor and texture, so try steaming seafood or even dessert.
This bamboo steamer has 3 tiers so you can steam various dishes at once (put the densest item on the bottom). The lid is also bamboo. Choose from lots of bamboo steamer recipes. For a bamboo steamer Target is one place to shop, but this one is durable and has good reviews. Also, ordering from Amazon is safe and easy. When you have a bamboo steamer how to use it is very easy and you can find lots of recipes for bamboo steamers to try out.
Concord 3 Piece 8 Inch Bamboo Steamer, on Amazon
What are Wontons Anyway?
These are Chinese dumplings. They can be deep-fried which makes them crispy, steamed or simmered which makes them soft, or cooked in another way.
These are made by spreading a wrapper flat in the palm of your hand, adding a small amount of filling in the middle, and sealing the wrappers into the desired shape by compressing the edges of the wrapper together with your fingers.
How to Seal Easy Wonton Recipes with Pork
Moistening the wrapper’s inner edges means you get a better adhesion and you can do this by dipping a fingertip into water and running it across the dry dough to dissolve the extra flour. As part of the sealing process, air is pressed out of the interior, so the little dumpling does not open (and leak out the filling) when it is cooked. Making these is something which is so simple it will soon become second nature to you.
Types of Dumplings
The word wan tan (you can spell it any way because the Chinese word is an image not Western letters) is Chinese for “swallowing clouds” which is a nice description of these tasty little treats, and a colorful way of describing easy wonton recipes with pork.
In Cantonese cuisine, shrimp and ground meat ones are usually served with thin noodles to make won ton noodles. Sometimes the dumplings are served with red vinegar.
Authentic Wonton Soup
The soup is made from boiling shrimp shells, meat bones and dried flounder, which results in a unique taste. MSG (monosodium glutamate) might be added to enhance the flavor. Hong Kong ones were introduced to the area after World War II, first as street food and then later on in indoor eateries.
In the Sichuan province of China, semi-pentagonal won tan are known as chao shou which means crossed hands. This is because after initially folding the wrapper into a right triangle, each end of the triangle are pressed against the middle of opposite sides, so the little treats look like crossed arms or hands. These are often served in a sesame paste and chili oil sauce as a dish called “red oil won tan”.
In Shanghai and Jiangnan, the filling is often made with minced pork and bok choy, and served in chicken soup. Saying that, Shanghai cuisine makes a clear distinction between small wontons and big ones.
Small ones are casually wrapped by closing the palm on a wrapper with a dab of pork filling as if you were crumpling a sheet of paper. These are often enjoyed with breakfast or brunch. The big dumplings are carefully wrapped (often so they look like a big tortellini) and a single bowl can be lunch or dinner.
In Ningbo there are two kinds of wonton – steamed ones and the soup. Both are filled with meat and shrimp and this is the type found in Chinese restaurants in the United States.
Wonderful Chinese Soup
Wonton soup is popular in the US, and so are deep-fried pork and shrimp dumplings (and other flavors). In fact many people would say they are one of the most delicious appetizers ever. And nobody ever gets bored of easy wonton recipes with pork.
Non-traditional wonton soup in Canada features pork-filled wan tons and spaghetti noodles, as well as vegetables and BBQ pork in a clear chicken broth.
- 16 oz (450g) pork tenderloin
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 oz (340g) square wonton wrappers
- 2 quarts (2 liters) peanut oil
- 1 beaten egg white
- Soy sauce, as needed
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Cut the meat into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes.
- Combine it with the garlic, green onion, sesame oil, ginger, lime juice, crushed red pepper, and soy sauce in a food processor.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Pulse until the meat is minced to the consistency of ground beef.
- Separate the wrappers and lay them out on a clean surface.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the filling mixture into the middle of each one.
- Moisten the edges of the wrappers with water, fold over the filling to form a triangle, and press together to seal.
- Brush each one with egg white.
- Pour the peanut oil into a large pot and preheat to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- Gently drop the wontons into the hot oil and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
Some More Hot Content For You
- 4G Internet PhonesAre 4G phone reviews accurate or not so accurate? Before you choose a new 4G phone read the reviews. Checking a 4G internet phones review will ensure that you have all of the relevant information that you need before purchasing the phone. 4G is perhaps not what everone wants but if you want to move with the times and have a super-quick phone and internet connection it is definitely the way forwards. 4G Internet Phones: New Technology 4G internet phones have been promoted as the new technology, which will change the way that people use the Internet. Mobile telecommunications will be altered, and services that seemed too extreme will be .....
- Fresh Mexican Soup RecipesIf you love both Mexican food and soup, prepare yourself to discover more about lovely south of the border soups. There are certainly a lot of Mexican soup recipes to sample and they are ideal for special occasions, perhaps Easter, Christmas or someone’s birthday, and the spicy ones are great when the weather is chilly because they are wonderfully warming. Not all Mexican soup recipes are spicy though. Some are mild and others are sweet. Some of them can be served as appetizers while others are better for the entrée or even as dessert. There really is something for everybody. Take cream of jalapeño soup, which is ideal when the weather is .....
- 7 Ways to Cook Salmon FiletsThere are plenty of ways to cook salmon filets, which is good news if you love this tasty, healthy fish. Salmon is one of the most popular choices when it comes to fish, along with tuna and cod. These 3 fish are often known as ‘the big 3’ because they are so popular. Salmon has a distinctive flavor which pairs well with just about any cuisine, whether you are adding teriyaki and sesame seeds, hoisin or soy sauce for an Asian feel, lemon and parsley along with white wine for a Western European dish, or even barbecue sauce, avocado and tortillas for a Tex-Mex feast. So what are some of the ways to cook salmon filets? Well salmon can be baked, .....
- Traditional English Ploughman’s LunchA ploughman’s lunch is a wonderful treat, best enjoyed in the beer garden of an old country pub, with a cold pint of cider or real ale. You can order a traditional English ploughman’s lunch in many English pubs, and you’ll never be disappointed. Dating back to the 1930s, a traditional English ploughman’s lunch is comprised of crusty bread and butter, English cheese, pickled onions, pickles and chutney, and it might also include ham, apple, radishes, hard-boiled eggs or Scotch eggs, celery, cherry tomatoes, and other cold ingredients. Now you know why a traditional English ploughman’s lunch is so good. Farm .....
- Benefits of Tai ChiWhen most people think of exercise, they think of strenuous activity. Sweating it out at the gym while trying to figure out the weight machines or pounding the pavement outside isn’t the only way to exercise, though. Some exercise can be relaxing and Tai Chi is one of those. Tai Chi is not only an exercise for the body, but only for the mind. There are benefits of Tai Chi most other exercises won’t give you. Some More Hot Content For You Easy UK Appetizer Ideas IHOP Pancakes Copycat Recipe Bling Bling iPad Cases How to Make Vegetable Quiche Easy Cream Cheese Stuffed Peppers Elegant Old Bay Shrimp Appetizers Handy Electric Cookware .....
- Haramaki Belly Band ReviewHaramaki is Japanese for belly wrap (hara means belly and maki means wrap). This garment can be worn over the belly for a comforting feeling and for warmth. Although this haramaki belly band garment is new to the West, they have been worn in Japan for centuries. More Details A haramaki belly band started as something warriors would wear to cover their vital organs and then turned into a garment which keeps the stomach and kidney area warm. They come in different sizes and colors, and you can get them for men, women, expectant mothers and kids. Choose from various colors, either patterns or simple one-color designs. How to Wear a Haramaki .....
- Best Julienne PeelersEveryone needs one of the best julienne peelers in their kitchen drawer in 2017! One of these little gadgets will glide effortlessly over your vegetables to peel them or give you matchstick-thin pieces or little strips. Use these for making coleslaw, for prepping veggies for a salad or for making matching shapes for another use. You can also stir-fry or saute them and they cook very quickly when they are cut so finely. When reading reviews for these the main thing is how well the device in question works, and also how easy it is to use. There are different ones to choose from and whichever one you choose depends how often you plan to use it .....
- Moussaka with Potatoes and EggplantI have to say this moussaka with potatoes and eggplant is one of my absolute favorite dishes. Moussaka is popular in countries of the former Ottoman empire. There are lots of regional and local variations. This dish might be made with potatoes or eggplant, or both, and usually with ground lamb too. Moussaka is eaten cold in Arabic countries, sauteed and served casserole style in Turkey, and layered and served hot in the Balkans. A lot of moussaka variations have an egg-thickened milk sauce on top, or a bechamel (flour-based) sauce. Origin of the Word Moussaka The word moussaka comes from mousakás, a Greek word, which came from the Turkish .....
- Best Sci-Fi Movies of 2014Now that 2014 is well over half a year behind us, all the best sci-fi movies of 2014 are available on DVD, so rather than going to the cinema, why not curl up with some popcorn and a DVD this evening? I love this genre and managed to see plenty of movies last year. My husband doesn’t mind the genre but it’s me who is the real fan, so I’m going to share with you my top sci-fi movie recommendations!.....
- Treat Yeast Infection at HomeYeast infections don’t always require an embarrassing doctor’s visit. You can treat yeast infection at home once you have the correct diagnosis of the symptoms you are suffering. There is a huge array of different reasons that you may be suffering with the yeast infection, and making small changes to your lifestyle and diet, can make a massive difference. You may be surprised to learn that wearing tight jeans and underwear can increase your chance of suffering with yeast infections, and some birth control pills and steroids may also cause the yeast to grow and spread. This means you need to know treat yeast infection at home. .....