How to Make Mapo Tofu
Mapo tofu, which is sometimes written mapo doufu, is a delicious Chinese recipe from the Sichuan province in China. It is comprised of tofu in a reddish, spicy bean and chili based sauce. The tofu is usually cooked with ground meat, either beef or pork, along with fermented beans. There are variations of course, and everyone has their own way of making it. Discover how to make mapo tofu and you will fall in love with this dish!
Why is Mapo Tofu Called That?
So how did mapo tofu get its name? Well the ‘ma’ refers to ‘mazi’ which is pockmarks, and the ‘pa’ refers to ‘popo’ meaning old woman or grandmother. So interestingly mapo tofu means pockmarked grandmother or, better, pockmarked grandmother’s beancurd. This presumably refers to the old lady who first invented the dish. Learning how to make mapo tofu means you can relay this interesting history at the dinner table.
The Flavors of Mapo Tofu
This recipe is traditionally fiery, as many Sichuan dishes are, and this dish in particular is described using 7 Chinese adjectives, namely numbing, hot temperatures, spicy hot, fresh, soft and tender, flake, and aromatic.
The most important ingredients are the beancurd (tofu), salty bean paste or chili broad bean paste, fermented black beans, chili oil, garlic, green onions, rice wine, Sichuan peppercorns, and chili flakes. There might also be some starch to thicken up the sauce and often some kind of ground meat.
Mapo Tofu Outside China
You can find mapo tofu recipes outside of China, especially in Korea and Japan where the spices are toned down a lot to offer a medium heat instead of a really fiery one. The dish is often made meatless in American restaurants so vegetarians will be drawn to it.
If it’s made vegetarian it’s often known as Mala Tofu. In the US it comes with a thick sweet-sour sauce without the meat and most of the spice but with some added vegetables. This is quite far from the original recipe and, in my opinion, nowhere near as good!
Mapo Tofu Variations You Might Like
I like to cook some bok choy with mine, adding ginger and garlic as well as a little chicken broth, but you can steam or saute any veggies you like to go on the side. Consider some noodles or white rice too. When I first learned how to make mapo tofu I liked to experiment with it.
- 6 oz (170g) ground pork (pork mince)
- 2 teaspoons chili bean paste
- 14 oz (400g) silken tofu, drained and cut into ¾ inch (2 cm) cubes
- ½ cup (125ml) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 minced green onions (spring onions, scallions) - white part only
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fermented black beans (or black bean paste)
- ½ teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns, black seeds removed before grinding (optional)
- Minced green part of green onion, for garnish
- Put the chicken stock in a bowl with the cornstarch, sugar and soy sauce, and stir.
- Heat a wok until hot, then add the sesame oil, ginger, garlic and green onions.
- Stir-fry until fragrant, then add the black beans and Sichuan pepper (if using) and keep stir-frying.
- Add the meat and break it up using a spatula; cook it until browned.
- Next add the fermented beans or bean paste.
- Add the tofu and toss to mix.
- Do not stir it else it will break up - you need to be careful with silken tofu.
- Pour the stock mixture over the tofu and pork, toss to coat and then boil until the sauce is thick.
- Serve the mapo tofu garnished with the green parts of the green onions.
- You can serve it with hot boiled rice and perhaps some steamed bok choy or similar.
Some More Hot Content For You
- How to Make an English BreakfastAn English breakfast, often known as a full breakfast in England, is a breakfast meal which usually includes back bacon, fried, scrambled or poached eggs, sausages, and sometimes tomatoes, mushrooms, hash browns (yes they’re American not English, but popular these days!), black pudding, baked beans, toast or fried bread, and tea or coffee. Want to know how to make an English breakfast yourself? Read on for some tips. Bubble and squeak (mashed potatoes and cooked vegetables mashed together and fried) sometimes feature, while in the North you might get fried or broiled oatcakes instead of fried bread or toast. How to Make an English .....
- Herring, Potato and Dill Salad RecipeFish and potatoes have been served together for centuries and dill complements both of them. Sour cream, mayonnaise and gherkins finish off this delicious fish starter recipe perfectly. This herring, potato and dill salad recipe is easy to make and suits any occasion. Simple But a Nice Balance There are not many ingredients in this tasty herring recipe and that is because they would be unnecessary. This is a perfectly balanced dish and one of our more interesting starter recipes. Herrings are delicious and if you want ideas for fish starters, this is well worth considering......
- What to Expect from Cheilectomy SurgeryA cheilectomy operation is a surgical procedure which is done to remove bone spurs from the big toe. If you suffer from big toe pain or stiffness, big toe arthritis or hallux rigidus, this operation might help you. You will want to know what to expect from cheilectomy surgery if you or a loved one are going to have this surgery. I am writing this lens about what to expect from cheilectomy (sometimes misspelled kailectomy or chilectomy) because I had the procedure myself nearly 2 years ago. I want to share my own experience and tell you what to expect. I also have some great tips, as someone who has been through a cheilectomy surgery. This .....
- Spicy Potato CakesSpicy potato cakes go beautifully with any poultry, meat or fish dish, as an alternative to hash brown, boiled or mashed potatoes, or even rice, pasta or other starchy sides. Something else you can do with these spicy potato cakes is serve them for breakfast, perhaps with fried eggs, mushrooms and a sausage or some bacon strips. They are also nice served as a snack with sour cream on top. The spicy potato cakes recipe is Indian influenced, and a lot of Indian dishes feature spices. Adding spices to something doesn’t mean the taste has to be fiery hot. Instead you can add a fragrant, aromatic touch by carefully selecting which spices .....
- Easy Sauteed Brussels Sprouts RecipeWhen I remember Brussels sprouts from my childhood, unfortunately the memory makes me grimace a bit! I assumed Brussels sprouts were supposed to be soggy and flavorless but actually I have discovered a new way of cooking them. That’s right, read on to discover an easy sauteed Brussels sprouts recipe which might just convert even the most die-hard sprout hater! Although a lot of people just boil them, adding a pinch of bicarbonate of soda to keep them vivid green, sauteing them (cooking them in a pan with some oil or butter) is a much better way to go. I like to trim off the bottom, remove a few outer leaves and then slice them .....
- How to Make Rice SaladLearning how to make rice salad is very easy and there are so many different ways you can prepare this delicious dish. Rice salad is perfect for lunch or as part of a buffet, and you can also serve it alongside steak or with chicken or fish. Absolutely anyone can make rice salad recipes and once you are familiar with the recipe you can experiment with other ingredients to make the dish taste different. How to Make Rice Salad: Simple Yet Perfect There are not many steps you need to make this dish, which is why it is so simple. If you enjoy being creative in the kitchen you will love making it because you can be imaginative with what goes into .....
- Recipe for Stuffed Squid TubesHearty ingredients like breadcrumbs, cheese, shrimp, tomato and onion are combined for the filling here, along with aromatics like cumin, paprika, cayenne and coriander. The squid are fried in a skillet on the stove and then sliced to serve. Try these stuffed squid tubes and discover just how wonderful homemade calamari recipes can be. Italian Style Stuffed Squid Tubes This stuffed squid tubes dish is a very tasty recipe and the use of seasonings and spices makes it an unusual one too because the Mediterranean filling is combined with bold spices to offer plenty of dimension to the flavor. This video is narrated and there are plenty of .....
- 10 Minute CrackslawSay you are in a hurry and you want to make some of your favorite recipe but you only have 10 minutes to spare – what can you do? The answer is to make 10 minute crackslaw. Rather than cooking the meat and vegetables separately, you will be saving time by cooking everything together. I always used to make the dish the regular way, which meant frying the meat, draining it, cooking the vegetables, then adding the meat back in and the seasonings, but since fat is not ‘the enemy’ when low carb eating you don’t even have to drain the meat after browning it, although if you’re using high-fat ground meat you might .....
- The Best Casserole Dishes to BuyAlthough it can be nice to have casseroles in many shapes, sizes and colors, that is not always practical. That is, unless you have a huge budget and a lot of storage spare. Instead it makes more sense to figure out what type of casserole you need, the brand you prefer, and the size and shape you want. Also consider the material the dish is going to be made of. Then you can get the best casserole dishes for your household. You might want to start off with one casserole dish, or you might like to invest in a set. Perhaps your favorite casserole broke and you are shopping for a replacement, in which case you will find you have more choice .....
- The Best Creative Wonton IdeasSo you have made beef wontons, cheese wontons, seafood wontons, dessert wontons, several types of wonton soup and dumplings. Now what? There are plenty more ideas for wontons that you can consider. How about a filling of minced caramelized walnuts with toasted sesame seeds, or jelly and peanut butter? Those would be quirky yet delicious creative wonton ideas which would work beautifully. Fresh cottage cheese with smoked paprika would work, as would an Indian style wonton made with potatoes, peas, biryani spices, ginger and cumin. Dip these spicy wontons in a cool yogurt sauce. Chinese sausage meat could work, or make buffalo chicken purses .....