Blue Cheese Stuffed Venison Burgers
If you are in the mood for a change from your usual homemade burger recipes, why not consider a venison burger recipe instead? These blue cheese stuffed venison burgers are very special indeed. Venison is very lean which means it is best to add some fat to the patties. This ensures they will come out juicy and succulent instead of dry. Some people add bacon trimmings to their blue cheese stuffed venison burgers while others will ask their butcher for any pork fat they don’t need (they might give it to you free!)
Venison is very tasty and doesn’t need to be seasoned a lot. A little salt and black pepper along with the meat (and some added fat if it needs it) is enough, but in the following blue cheese stuffed venison burgers recipe we are adding blue cheese and shallots, along with some more flavors, for a gourmet venison burger result! Whatever you are adding into the patty mixture, make sure you don’t over-mix else the burgers will come out tough and that of course isn’t what you want to have.
What Else Goes into Our Blue Cheese Stuffed Venison Burgers
In the following blue cheese stuffed venison burgers recipe we are combining the meat with garlic, cream and herbs, then adding a blue cheese filling to make them extra-special. This recipe makes 4 venison burgers but double the amount if you are having a crowd over. Leftover patty mixture can always be shaped into meatballs and cooked the next day then served with pasta or spaghetti.
You can cook these blue cheese stuffed venison burgers on the barbecue or in a ridged griddle pan. They will take a couple of minutes per side to cook through. Top the burgers with any toppings and sauces you like or, if you are making these for a crowd, have the toppings in separate dishes so people can top their own. This recipe is particularly nice with a creamy, homemade potato salad.
- 23 oz (650g) ground venison
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ tablespoon chopped chives
- ½ tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 8 oz (240g) blue cheese
- Handful of sliced shallots or green onions
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for frying
- 4 buns
- Tomato slices
- Put the ground venison in a bowl and grind in some salt and black pepper.
- Mix in the garlic, cream, chives and parsley with your hands or with a fork.
- Shape the mixture into 4 patties and push an indentation into the top of each one with your fingers.
- Now you are going to stuff the burgers.
- Put 2 oz (60g) of blue cheese into the middle and close the meat around the top.
- Sauté the shallots or green onions in oil until crispy.
- Preheat a barbeque or ridged griddle pan until hot.
- Add some olive oil if you're using a griddle pan.
- Sear the burgers for 2 minutes to seal in the juices.
- Flip and cook for 2 minutes on the other side or until done.
- Serve on rolls with the shallots or green onions.
- Add any of the suggested condiments and/or toppings you want to the finished blue cheese stuffed venison burgers and enjoy!
Photo by: Ron Dollete, on Flickr