Best Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe
Are you in the mood for Cajun cuisine or something Italian? This Cajun chicken pasta recipe offers the best of both worlds. Pasta is an Italian favorite of course, and Cajun seasoning just brings out the beauty of the chicken and the pasta, resulting in a dish you will adore. You might have enjoyed something similar before or perhaps the combination of Italian and Cajun is a brand new treat for your palate. Either way you will certainly enjoy this tasty dish.
This is simple enough for beginner cooks to master and once you have made it you will be sure to want to make it again. The following recipe makes enough for 2 people so you can easily double it to serve 4 or triple it for 6 (or 4 hungry people!) Serve some salad leaves on the side if you want.
A lot of home cooks rely on creamy pasta with chicken, shrimp or similar as one of their regular weeknight menus, but try a pinch of Cajun spice in the mix and you will be really impressed with the results. There are a few Cajun chicken pasta recipes free online and so many chicken pasta dishes to choose from, but this is one of the best, and the following recipe is how I personally like to make it.
Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe: Cajun Spice Mix
Whether you choose to use a Cajun spice mix or create your own, you can add plenty of Cajun flavor to this lovely dish. It is easier just to buy a mix of Cajun spices but if you want to make your own you see my recipe below. This recipe makes half a cup so you can use what you need and then keep the rest in an airtight container somewhere dark and cool.
This recipe is made with Penne pasta, but you can use any kind of pasta you want, so consider fettuccine, linguine or spaghetti if you want long pasta, or wheels, bow-ties or shells if you prefer. The flavor will be the same regardless of which one you use. Whole wheat pasta wouldn’t be as good in this recipe, so save that for the healthy pasta salads.
Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe: Possible Adaptations
You can also use fresh garlic instead of garlic powder if you want, but that would need to be sauteed with the chicken. As for the tomatoes, sun-dried offer a nice flavor or try fresh cherry or plum tomatoes if you prefer to use fresh.
The chicken can be sauteed in just oil, just butter or even spray oil if you want to cut some of the fat. Likewise, the heavy whipping cream can be swapped for Half & Half or another kind of cream, but since this dish is better the richer it is, you might like to use the butter and cream and just indulge yourself this once! It is totally worth it.
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons each of salt and garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, onion powder and black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- 1¼ teaspoons each dried thyme and dried oregano
- 2 chicken breast halves (boneless and skinless) in strips
- 1½ cups (350ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 thinly sliced green onion
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes or fresh tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 oz (110g) Penne pasta, cooked to al dente
- Sprigs of fresh basil, parsley or similar, for garnish (optional)
- ¼ cup (30g) grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Combine the list of ingredients to make it.
- Toss the raw chicken strips with the Cajun seasoning and toss well, then sauté it in oil and butter for 6 minutes or until tender, stirring often.
- Turn the heat down and stir in the cream, green onion, basil, tomatoes, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Warm this mixture through then serve over the hot pasta and garnish with parmesan and/or fresh herbs.
Green onion might be known as spring onion or scallions where you live.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Oysters in Chive Sauce RecipeOysters are great served either cold or warm like in this delicious seafood starter recipe. You can serve this as a canape or as a starter dish for a summer dinner. Oysters are not the cheapest type of seafood but they are special and you do not have to serve a lot to each diner. Make this oysters in chive sauce recipe and you won’t regret it. Oysters in Chive Sauce Recipe: Surprisingly Simple to Make A lot of people think twice about making oysters recipes because they are thought to be difficult but actually the opposite is true. Oysters are easy to work with. In this recipe for oysters you simply make the sauce and grill the oysters .....
- Devils on Horseback RecipeThis is a quick and easy recipe if you only have a few minutes or if you find you have more guests than you thought! Have you made a devils on horseback recipe before? You will find it’s easy! As long as you have the livers, you will almost definitely have the other ingredients to hand too because you only need bread, spices and some bacon. This is a great recipe to use as a starter and everyone who likes meat will enjoy it. Devils on Horseback Recipe: A Special Snack Devils on horseback might conjure up a strange image until you realize this is the name given to bacon-wrapped sausages or another kind of bacon-wrapped meat mixture. .....
- Low Carb CookingLow carb cooking and following a low carb diet is not just for diabetics and those who have problems digesting carbohydrates, but for anyone who wants to drop weight and eat tasty food while still maintaining a great shape and not feeling hungry or deprived. Although low carb cooking sounds easy, it takes a while to get used to if you are used to eating bread, pasta and potatoes as part of your daily diet, as many of us are. As is the case with most diets, the focus should be on eating food ‘from the farm not the factory’ which means minimize the amount of prepackaged food you eat and make sure you get plenty of fresh meat, fish .....
- Moussaka with Potatoes and EggplantI have to say this moussaka with potatoes and eggplant is one of my absolute favorite dishes. Moussaka is popular in countries of the former Ottoman empire. There are lots of regional and local variations. This dish might be made with potatoes or eggplant, or both, and usually with ground lamb too. Moussaka is eaten cold in Arabic countries, sauteed and served casserole style in Turkey, and layered and served hot in the Balkans. A lot of moussaka variations have an egg-thickened milk sauce on top, or a bechamel (flour-based) sauce. Origin of the Word Moussaka The word moussaka comes from mousakás, a Greek word, which came from the Turkish .....
- Cauliflower Nasi Goreng – Low CarbThis cauliflower nasi goreng – low carb and tasty – might well earn a place on your regular meal rotation. It’s just so special! Nasi goreng is a delicious dish from Indonesia, which I’ve enjoyed plenty of times since moving to the Netherlands, since the Dutch are very much into Indonesian foods. Although this is a rice-based dish and you might think no way can that be low carb, swap the rice for cauliflower and it will be! Also, because this is a spicy dish (a dish with spices, not necessary ‘hot’ if you don’t want it to be) you won’t taste the cauliflower. What is Nasi Gorgeng? The name .....
- Edamame Noodle Salad with AlmondsThis edamame noodle salad is a fantastic recipe and boasts wonderful Asian accents in every mouthful. Making this edamame salad recipe couldn’t be simpler. You just need to prepare and combine the salad ingredients, whisk all the dressing ingredients together then combine the lot to make a colorful, healthy salad. This is a vegetarian edamame salad but swapping the honey for agave nectar makes this a vegetarian edamame salad if you want to do that instead. If you aren’t vegetarian or vegan, feel free to add some shredded cooked chicken breast to the mix. This edamame noodle salad makes a great lunch and because there are no .....
- How to Cook Lobster TailsLobster tails make a real treat and, when cooked right, you can expect a succulent, tasty result with plenty of ocean flavor. Learning how to cook lobster tails is straightforward and the results are impressive. These little delicacies might not be the cheapest type of seafood in the store (far from it, usually) but once it in a while it is nice to spoil yourself to a lobster tails recipe. Buying the tails is cheaper than buying a whole lobster, and they’re easier to prepare and eat too. I spotted some of these on sale just after Christmas. Of course we had a full-to-bursting refrigerator then (who doesn’t?) but they were frozen, .....
- Fruits de Mer RecipePlateau de fruits de mer is the French term for seafood platter, and this recipe comprises both cooked and raw seafood on a chilled platter, often on a bed of ice. If you order a fruits de mer recipe, you can expect shellfish along with bread, mayonnaise (preferably homemade) and condiments like cocktail sauce and mignonette sauce. The serving platter will be above table level on some kind of stand, and sometimes there are several tiers, both to make it look for elegant, and also because some of the shellfish is served on the half-shell or in the full shell, and then it takes up a lot of room. A fruits de mer recipe is traditionally served .....
- Sunny Pumpkin Rice SoupPumpkin rice soup is always good, especially when you stumble upon a brand new recipe for it and discover how to give the soup a different edge. This recipe makes use of ginger, chili and rice, to give it not only an aromatic and spicy flavor, but the heartiness of rice. The recipe calls for brown rice but feel free to use white rice, basmati perhaps. How to Serve Pumpkin Rice Soup Serve this pumpkin rice soup for lunch or dinner, or serve small portions as an appetizer if your main dish does not include rice. You will find this soup very simple to make. Choose how thick you want it. If it is looking too thick at any time you can add more .....
- Easy Chicken and Peach SaladThis easy chicken and peach salad takes mere minutes to put together and it’s a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken. I’ve made it with chicken breast but you could use other cooked chicken pieces or some deli chicken slices. You could even use rotisserie chicken to make this (perhaps, still warm – yum!) This easy chicken and peach salad is made on a bed of iceberg lettuce, but of course you can switch the iceberg for any variety. Baby salad leaves would be good or chopped romaine. I like to add some lamb’s lettuce or a contrasting variety as well. Then you have the chicken on top, plus some peach for juicy .....