How to Make a White Wine Pasta Sauce
Although pasta goes great with all kinds of sauces, the gentle aromatic appeal of a white wine pasta sauce is something incredibly special. White wine pasta sauce is so easy to make and other ingredients which go well with the wine include garlic, butter and parsley.
A lot of these white wine pasta sauce recipes might include olive oil instead of the butter, or alongside it, and you can make such a sauce even if you don’t really drink white wine, since you are just using it for a rich flavor and typically only need a splash.
When making a white wine pasta sauce, it is important to use a white wine you would drink, not something labeled ‘cooking wine’ or something you don’t like, the reason being this is one of the main flavors in the finished dish, so use good quality ingredients and the resulting white wine sauce for your pasta will have a nice taste and not disappoint you.
Although whole wheat pasta is popular these days because of its fiber content, I like to use white pasta, and I also feel it goes best with a light, aromatic pasta sauce because white pasta has a more neutral taste so the flavors in the sauce will be more evident.
The following recipe blends olive oil, butter and white wine with red and black pepper, garlic, parsley and parmesan cheese, for a really delicious dish. If you want to make any tweaks, perhaps you could add some lightly steamed vegetables to the dish, such as sliced mushrooms or asparagus – fresh of course!
You could also add shrimp or chicken. If you do want to add any extras, prepare them in another pan and simply toss them with the finished pasta and white wine pasta sauce at the end.
Tips on Choosing and Cooking the Pasta
You can use any kind of pasta in this recipe – penne, rigatoni, fusilli, pretty much anything really. You could even use spaghetti. The pasta should be cooked to ‘al dente’ which means tender but not too soft. Follow the directions on the package and taste a piece of pasta when the time is up, to see if it’s ready. Be careful not to burn your lip (yes, the voice of experience here!)
How to Serve Pasta in White Wine Sauce
Because the finished dish is, well, cream-colored, you might want to add a splash of color, and this can be achieved in a number of ways.
You could serve some steamed vegetables on the side. Consider broccolini or regular broccoli, some green beans or asparagus. Even think about bruschetta or garlic bread (with parsley) if you’re in the mood for a carb-fest! Any of those would be a good contrast with white wine pasta sauce. Another idea is to serve a crisp green salad with the pasta in white wine sauce, or you could just serve it as it is with some sprigs of parsley on there for a splash of green.
Use good quality ingredients when making a white wine pasta sauce recipe, like a good quality olive oil and fresh (not wilted) parsley, and the result will be really nice. You might want to serve this as a romantic Valentines meal (you will have some left over unless you halve the recipe) or even as a special treat. It is also simple enough to throw together at any time. You will have plenty of white wine left over so serve a glass (or 2!) with the meal.
- 1 lb (450g) uncooked white pasta
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup (125 ml) white wine
- Small handful chopped flat parsley
- Small handful grated fresh parmesan
- Cook the pasta to al dente following the directions on the package.
- Heat the oil over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and crushed red pepper, then sauté for a minute or 2, or until golden.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, white wine and butter.
- Stir for a couple of minutes, then remove from heat.
- Toss the hot cooked pasta with the sauce, stirring in the cheese and parsley.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Carb Blockers – Everything You Need to KnowDieting isn’t always easy. If it was, we would all be slim, right? The problem with a lot of diets is you have to deprive yourself of your favorite foods (you know, all those ones that taste good) and feel hungry in order to shed a pound or two, if you’re lucky. So what about carb blockers – everything you need to know about these might just convince you to give them a try but honestly, do they really work? Reducing the intake of carbs is a popular way of lowering weight, and you can try diets such as Atkins to show you how to keep your carbs very low. The problem with diets like this is they eliminate (at least in the .....
- Baked Stuffed Zucchini BoatsLow in calories but high in flavor, this wonderful baked stuffed zucchini boats recipe is sure to please your palate. The middles of the zucchini are scooped out and then you can add a wonderful ham and cheese filling, and bake them to perfection. This is a very easy baked stuffed zucchini boats recipe which is nice served with Spanish rice or risotto, and just as nice served alone as a savory snack. If you want to make this dish vegetarian friendly, simply omit the ham, or else you might like to swap it for shrimp, salmon, walnuts, or pretty much anything else. Tweak the Filling to Make It Your Own The main ingredients in this baked stuffed .....
- Traditional British AppetizersTraditional British Appetizers from all Over the UK It’s true that the UK is home to so many delicious traditional British appetizers. Whether you fancy reproducing the tasty dishes from English, Ireland, Scotland or Wales, there are lots of different recipes you can play around with, to make the most mouthwatering dishes for your friends or family. From classic English prawn cocktail to Scottish seafood dishes, Irish onion rings with Guinness or Welsh rarebit, there are traditional british appetizers for all occasions. These starter recipes, as they are known in the UK, or appetizers as they are known in the US, offer something for .....
- Mediterranean Tapas PlatterIf you are looking for inspiration for quick and easy starter recipes, what about making a Mediterranean tapas platter? Tapas are great to nibble on and make a colourful and attractive starter recipe. For the best tapas recipe, choose a couple of different contrasting cheeses, some chorizo or salami, cherry tomatoes and olives. This mixture ensure you get plenty of color and diverse textures and flavors. Mediterranean Tapas Platter: Tasty Tapas Tips Choose any kind of olives you like for your Mediterranean tapas platter; black olives, green ones and stuffed ones are all good. Anchovies make nice tapas too, as do pickled onions, nuts, chopped .....
- Korean Tuna and Broccoli PancakesI had some leftover broccoli and decided to experiment a little, after the success of my vegetable jeon the other day. These Korean tuna and broccoli pancakes came out really well and I decided to share the recipe. They are so good! What are Jeon? Jeon (pronounced jun) is a Korean pancake and these fantastic little snacks make a great appetizer, or you could serve them as the main dish. Suitable for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a snack, there are lots of different jeon recipes. Making this Korean tuna and broccoli pancakes recipe is easy. Combine an egg, a couple tablespoons of flour and a handful of your main ingredient (could be mashed .....
- Recipe for Squid Stuffed with Rice and HerbsThis fun video shows you how to make delicious squid stuffed with rice and it is aimed at beginners, so you can see exactly what you need, how to prepare the ingredients and how to stuff and cook your squid to perfection. Stuffed squid recipes are really easy, so long as you know what you need and how to prepare and combine the ingredients, as well as how long to cook it so your squid comes out beautifully tender. This squid stuffed with rice cooking video is easy enough for complete beginners to master so if you are worried about getting lost in technical cooking jargon then don’t, because that is not what stuffed squid is all about. .....
- Why White Noise Helps You SleepSome people find it hard to fall asleep without a fan whirring while others find the sound of a blow dryer or washing machine soothing. But how come making more noise can help with sleep? Isn’t a silent room the most conducive to getting a good night’s rest? Actually that isn’t always the case, and some people even buy white noise machines or download white noise apps to ensure they get to sleep quickly and easily, and stay asleep until morning. A lot of people have hear it works but don’t know exactly why white noise helps you sleep. What is White Noise? This consistent sound comes out across all audible frequencies .....
- Creamy Mushroom StroganoffThis creamy mushroom stroganoff recipe is so good. Combining mushrooms with onion and celery, this nutrient-rich dish is flavored with mixed herbs, basil and stock. You can use chicken or vegetable stock, as you wish. A little parsley and some sour cream is all you need to add to this mixture to finish it off well, perfecting both the flavor and texture of the dish. You might be more familiar with beef stroganoff but this exciting creamy mushroom stroganoff dish is also nice when you use an earthy vegetable to make it and mushrooms are idea. Celery also goes well in this. You can use full-fat or reduced-fat sour cream or crème fraîche to .....
- Canapes for a PartyCanapes (KAH-nah-pays) for a party, which are also known as hors d’oevres, are little snacks which are served with drinks, either by themselves or before the sit-down meal is ready. These canapes for a party can be very simple and might be something spread on crackers or melba toast, or even a stuffed cherry tomato or deviled egg. The best canapes for a party are those which can be eaten with the fingers, so people can just pick them up without making their fingers messy. Also, they should be able to be eaten in one or two bites, and you shouldn’t need cutlery. A canape in one hand and a drink in the other is fine. Add cutlery .....
- Vegan Squash Crostini RecipeThis is a delicious vegan dip which sits on crispy crostini. This vegan squash crostini recipe is a great appetizer for vegans and you can use sweet potato instead of squash if you prefer. You don’t have to be a vegan to enjoy this lovely vegan recipe, and if you are having a mixed crowd (ie some vegans and some veggies and others who are carnivores) this is a nice offering because it’s suitable for everyone. What is Crostini? Before you make this vegan squash crostini recipe you might like to know more about the dish. Crostini means toasted bread, and of course the Italian word sounds much more elegant. It can be topped with .....