Lasagna with Ricotta and Italian Sausage
This delicious lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage is a snap to make and it freezes well too if you wrap individual portions in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Simply unwrap and reheat any time you want to enjoy this ricotta lasagna again. If you want to use ground beef rather than the Italian sausage, go ahead.
Tasty Lasagna with Ricotta and Italian Sausage Additions
Some people like to add some sage to the sausage or use sweet sausage instead of the hot kind and add some red chili flakes. You know which you like best, so go ahead and choose your favorite kind when preparing this lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage. If you want to use a ready-made, herbed tomato-based sauce rather than the tomato sauce and canned tomatoes, again go ahead.
As well as our basic ingredients in this lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage recipe, which are the meat, 3 cheeses, lasagna noodles and tomatoes, we are using garlic, parsley, oregano, basil to add aromatic accents to the overall flavor of this dish. After preparing the various components we are going to layer them in a glass lasagna dish, then bake the lasagna in the oven.
Side Dish Options
What are you going to have as a side dish with this pork and ricotta lasagna? I like garlic bread with mine, and perhaps a tossed baby leaf salad with some extra-virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar to dress it. The garlic bread might be carb overkill but what the heck, I like it!
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 lb (225g) bulk Italian pork sausage
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 15 oz (425g) tomato sauce
- 14 oz (400g) diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 8 oz (230g) shredded mozzarella
- 15 oz (425g) ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup (25g) freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for on top
- Cook the onion, garlic and sausage in a 10-inch (25cm) skillet, stirring often, until the sausage is browned.
- Drain off the fat.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of the parsley, along with the sugar, basil, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and stir it often.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 45 minutes or until noticeably thicker.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Cook the noodles and drain them, following the instructions on the box.
- Combine the ricotta with ¼ cup (25g) parmesan, the other 1 tablespoon of parsley and the oregano.
- Spread a cup (250ml) of the sauce over the base of an ungreased 13x9 inch (33x23 cm) glass baking dish.
- Top it with 4 noodles, then spread a cup (250g) of the cheese mixture over the top.
- Spread a cup of the sauce mixture over that and ⅔ cup of mozzarella over that.
- Repeat these layers, finishing with noodles and sauce and then the last of the mozzarella and parmesan.
- Cover and bake in the oven for half an hour.
- Uncover and cook for another 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Stand it for 15 minutes then serve your lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage hot.
Photo by: Tiramisustudio, at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Some More Hot Content For You
- Chinese Chicken SaladChinese chicken salad is a tasty, nutritious option and it makes a wonderful lunch. Perhaps you usually have ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing or Italian dressing over mixed leaves and you are getting tired of it. Or it could be you are simply looking for new lunch inspiration. Whichever is the case, this Chinese chicken salad is very simple to prepare and the flavors work wonderfully together. What is Chinese Chicken Salad? You can use a julienne peeler to cut the vegetables into matchstick shapes, or if you don’t have one cut them by hand. We are using romaine and baby leaves in this dish too, along with grilled chicken, edamame .....
- Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon and ShallotsHow does a warm spinach salad with bacon and shallots sound to you? This is a really satisfying recipe, and one of those you will be happy you made. Here, spinach is teamed with spinach and shallots, as well as garlic, nutmeg and even some hard-boiled egg if you like. Go ahead and add all your favorite ingredients to this warm spinach salad with bacon and shallots. Go ahead and personalize this salad as much as you want. It is going to taste great anyway. The result is a salad which is ideal for the cooler months and can be served alongside any meat, poultry or even seafood dish. Or you can enjoy the warm spinach salad with bacon and .....
- Best iPad Mini Cases with KeyboardSee all the best keyboard cases for iPad Mini and pick out your favorite. There are iPad Mini cases with keyboard for every taste and budget, no matter whether you want a cute pink one, a handy one which doubles as a padded case, something neat for work, or something else. The iPad Mini is the newest Apple product on the market but there are already plenty of cool accessories for it. If you have one of these tablets already then you will want a cover to keep it safe and a keyboard to make typing speedier. Touch typing on the screen is time-consuming because it is usually one-fingered unless you have mastered the art of typing quicker on .....
- Bring Modern Kitchen Trends into Your HomeModern kitchen trends can be daunting and many homeowners are concerned that they will dominate the house or not look right, or they find another reason to stick with the old stuff. However, if you research the different trends correctly, and ensure that you choose wisely, your kitchen will look and feel fantastic. You can include as many or as few of the modern kitchen trends as you want, and they can enhance your kitchen ensuring that you add personality to the room. Deciding Which Modern Kitchen Trends to Choose There are many different ways that you can enhance your kitchen and ensure that you include modern trends which will not cost .....
- What to Eat with Type 2 DiabetesType 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes affecting around 90 – 95 % of the 26 million children and adults with the condition in United States. Hardly surprisingly, controlling the diet is a very important part of looking after yourself. This is why knowing what to eat with Type 2 diabetes is so important. Also known as non-insulin dependent diabetes, it is a chronic condition where the individuals have problems regulating the blood sugar in their body. Those who have high blood sugar are either unable to produce enough insulin or are not responsive to insulin. In recent years the incidence of diabetes has increased, perhaps partly .....
- Colourful Tuscan Bread SaladThis Tuscan bread salad is a wonderful summer starter recipe because there is no cooking involved. It is best to make this colourful Tuscan bread starter using Italian bread but you can use another type if you have some to use up. Sourdough bread, pita bread and wholemeal bread all work well. Tuscan Bread Salad: Preparing the Bread Tear the bread up to make big chunks or shred it like breadcrumbs, whichever you prefer. You can get creative with this easy salad recipe and add your own touches to it. This is a bread salad not a crouton salad so you don’t need to fry or toast the bread. This vegetarian starter recipe is called .....
- Risotto Stuffed SquidThis Italian-inspired risotto stuffed squid recipe makes a delicious dinner and it is impressive enough to serve at a dinner party. Calamari is often battered and deep-fried but in this recipe it is stuffed with tasty risotto and cooked on the grill or griddle, then served in slices for a beautiful presentation. What Kind of Squid to Use for Risotto Stuffed Squid You can use whatever size squid you like. Use smallish ones (the width of your palm) and each person can eat 2 or even 3, or use larger ones and 1 per person should be sufficient. The size of the squid affects the cooking time (bigger squid take longer to become tender) but not the .....
- Octopus and Squid Stir FryLast night I decided to make seafood so I grabbed some raw squid (calamari) tubes and also 2 cooked octopus legs. I had an idea of how to cook them but wasn’t sure how to reheat the octopus without it going tough. I really wanted an octopus and squid stir fry though, so I went ahead with it. On the package it said to give it a couple of minutes in the microwave but I wasn’t keen on that idea. Instead I prepared a stir-fry type dish with the squid, then added the octopus at the end and just stirred it into the rest of the mixture until it was warmed through. It came out really well and octopus and squid stir fry is something I .....
- How to Make a Cassoulet the French WayA cassoulet is a slow-cooked casserole with meat (usually pork sausage, duck, mutton or goose) as well as white haricot beans and pork skin. This dish originated in the South of France, and is named after the casserole dish it is made in. Discover how to make a cassoulet the French way and you will be able to rustle up this wonderful meaty treat any time comfort food is the order of the day. There are lots of regional variations on cassoulet, although all of them feature white beans. Crackling (crispy fried pork rind) and fried bread cubes are often scattered on top before serving. Is your mouth watering yet? If not, keep reading and it will .....
- How to Cook Gammon SteakGammon steak is one of the most delicious treats you can have for your dinner. Learn how to cook gammon steak and you will be able to make a delicious meal. If you have not enjoyed this juicy treat in a while you might be in the mood for it tonight, in which case read on and find out how to prepare it like a pro for juicy and succulent results. Gammon steak cooks quickly and some people accidentally overcook it, which you will want to avoid. What is Gammon Steak Anyway? If you are in the UK you will probably already know what gammon is, but our friends across the Pond might not! Gammon comes from an Old Northern French word .....