Pesto Spaghetti with Easy Meatballs
This is a great pesto spaghetti recipe to make if you are in the mood for Italian but also looking for something you can just throw together and have on the table half an hour after you thought of making it!
Spaghetti and meatballs is a typical Italian dish which combines pasta and meat in a simple way, and although a tomato sauce is often served with such a dish, pesto spaghetti is also nice and it is what we are using here, although you can switch one for the other if you like.
We are making baked meatballs and you can prepare the pesto spaghetti while the meatballs are baking, then have everything together at once. Make sure you have some extra fresh basil sprigs for an attractive garnish and consider what you want to serve on the side, or whether you want to omit a side dish and instead serve a tasty side dish such as this delicious Italian bruschetta recipe.
Pesto Spaghetti & Meatballs: Which Meat to Use
Here in Holland you can’t get ground pork for whatever reason (don’t ask me, I only live here!) so we use half and half (which is half beef and half pork) and that seems to work just fine, but you can use beef or pork if you prefer, or even ground turkey if that is what you like.
I like to serve this pesto spaghetti with some kind of Italian side dish depending on my mood, so that might be tomato, mozzarella and fresh basil (insalata tricolore) or perhaps some buttered asparagus spears. This is quite a hearty dish so you do not need a huge side dish or even more than one. In fact, if you are serving a salad as your appetizer you can forgo the side dish altogether here.
How Do You Eat Spaghetti Like an Italian?
Spaghetti is probably the best-known, or at least most recognized Italian food, but it has also caused plenty of disagreements about the ‘proper’ way of eating it. People tend to avoid spaghetti in restaurants if they are in any doubt about how to eat it or if they are scared about making a mess, but it is a pity to miss out on it just because of this.
The best way to eat pesto spaghetti is how an Italian would eat it, so first of all keep your hands (but not elbows) on the table and ensure everyone has their food in front of them before you start eating. It is bad form to use a spoon in Italy while eating spaghetti, and it is also a mistake to cut the spaghetti shorter. Any sounds you make while eating pesto spaghetti, such as sucking or slurping, are seen as rude. So how do you eat it?
Well, push the spaghetti to the middle of your rimmed bowl and then pull a little to the side of the plate. Hold the fork vertically and turn it clockwise, keeping the prongs on the rim. Lift up your fork and see whether you have twirled them enough to put the fork in your mouth, or keep rotating the fork a bit more. If you do need to repeat the process, put the fork down and take fewer noodles then twist again until they are wrapped around the fork and you can get it into your mouth neatly.
- 8 oz (230g) dried spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto sauce
- 4 sprigs of fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
- 1 lb (450g) ground beef or pork
- 1 lightly beaten large egg
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ½ minced small onion
- 2 tablespoons marinara or tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon each chopped fresh rosemary, chopped fresh parsley and chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup (65g) regular or Italian breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup (25g) shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all the meatball ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Take care not to over-mix unless you like tough meatballs.
- Divide the mixture in half then repeat until you have 16 equal-sized meatballs.
- It is best to do this with wet hands so you can shape them better without having them cracking.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- While they are baking, cook the spaghetti following the instructions on the package.
- Drain off the water then toss the hot cooked spaghetti with the pesto sauce.
- You might want to add a little more pesto sauce - just use your judgement.
- Divide the pesto spaghetti between 4 warmed serving plates.
- Add 4 meatballs to each one and garnish with fresh basil.
- Serve right away.
Some people like to toss the meatballs with the spaghetti while others serve the meatballs on top - this is up to you of course.
Serve some shredded parmesan cheese on the side if you like - fresh parmesan of course, to keep it authentic and delicious!
Some More Hot Content For You
- Vegan Squash Crostini RecipeThis is a delicious vegan dip which sits on crispy crostini. This vegan squash crostini recipe is a great appetizer for vegans and you can use sweet potato instead of squash if you prefer. You don’t have to be a vegan to enjoy this lovely vegan recipe, and if you are having a mixed crowd (ie some vegans and some veggies and others who are carnivores) this is a nice offering because it’s suitable for everyone. What is Crostini? Before you make this vegan squash crostini recipe you might like to know more about the dish. Crostini means toasted bread, and of course the Italian word sounds much more elegant. It can be topped with .....
- Pink Toilets and Pink Toilet SeatsPink toilets will make a statement, which is what many people want to do in their homes. The bathroom can often be the best place to be adventurous so don’t rule pink toilets out entirely! If you have a typically conservative taste, yet you want to step out of the box, choosing pink toilets could be the way to achieve this goal. There are no rules when it comes to designing your bathroom; therefore, colorful accessories and fixtures can be an excellent choice. Deciding on the Design, Style and Color of the Toilet Contemporary toilets and bathroom designs have become incredibly popular, and many people are choosing bright, vibrant .....
- Best iPad Mini Cases with KeyboardSee all the best keyboard cases for iPad Mini and pick out your favorite. There are iPad Mini cases with keyboard for every taste and budget, no matter whether you want a cute pink one, a handy one which doubles as a padded case, something neat for work, or something else. The iPad Mini is the newest Apple product on the market but there are already plenty of cool accessories for it. If you have one of these tablets already then you will want a cover to keep it safe and a keyboard to make typing speedier. Touch typing on the screen is time-consuming because it is usually one-fingered unless you have mastered the art of typing quicker on .....
- How to Griddle Chicken BreastThe griddle is a fantastic tool which I often use in the kitchen for cooking not only chicken but steak, fish and vegetables too. You need less fat than if you were to shallow fry or saute, and can expect attractive griddle marks, either lines or crisscross, depending how you turn the chicken while it is cooking. Learning how to griddle chicken breast is so easy and worthwhile. A nice cast iron griddle pan is a worthwhile investment, and since you can cook all kinds of meat, poultry, seafood, vegetables, and even some kinds of cheese (like halloumi) in there, you will find yourself using it frequently. Griddled Chicken Breast Uses One of the .....
- Kitchen Gadgets Every Home Cook Should HaveMost people already have basic kitchen appliances such as toasters and kettles but these items do break! That’s why it’s good that you can pick up replacement kitchen gadgets cheaply. Other small kitchen appliances include juicers, blenders, mini blenders and coffee machines and you can get tiny kitchen appliances if you have a tiny kitchen. Others fold up or you can store them in the cupboard on on a wall. Once you have sorted out all your main kitchen appliances, it is time to stock up on handy time-saving tools and labor-saving kitchen gadgets. Kitchen gadgets do not have to be complicated or expensive. Some of the best and .....
- Simple Zucchini PancakesThese simple zucchini pancakes make a great breakfast and you can make them in advance, so what is not to love about that? Low in calories and fat (especially if you fry them in cooking spray rather than butter or oil) they can be enjoyed with sausage or bacon, or simply as they are, perhaps with some garlic mushrooms on the side or a broiled tomato. Try these simple zucchini pancakes and you will be surprised how great they are. Different Types of Pancakes Pancakes range from thin and crepe-like to thick and fluffy, and different people prefer them different ways. And yes some even prefer these simple zucchini pancakes. Personally I am more .....
- iPhone Airbags – Fact or Fallacy?Have you heard about these useful little things which attach to the cell and open out in the case of a fall? Although iPhone airbags are still a concept rather than a reality, if these can be concealed and not add bulk to the handset this could well become a reality soon. One drop on a hard floor can crack your screen or break it altogether, so this concept might not be as far-out as it sounds when you consider it like that. Now are iPhone airbags making a little more sense? This continues to be one of the most popular cells on the market, and with the latest apps and accessories, it is no surprise that it remains one of the market leaders. .....
- Mushroom Risotto with Truffle OilThis easy mushroom risotto with truffle oil recipe combines rice with mushrooms, and you can use any kind of mushrooms you want. Last time I used button mushrooms, but you can also use assorted wild mushrooms if you want, or another kind. We are also using dried mushrooms in the mushroom risotto with truffle oil, which you will reconstitute before proceeding with the recipe. Different Types of Risotto There are lots of different type of risotto, including shrimp, chicken and vegetable types. I like asparagus risotto with plenty of parmesan. Everyone has their own favorite. I like to use arborio rice to make mushroom risotto with truffle .....
- Rune Stones – A Beginner’s GuideWhat are rune stones? Well, rune stones, or runes as they are also known, are a system of communication, decision making and divination. There are 24 runes in a set and they are like an alphabet of the North and North Central Europe. To Buy or Make Rune Stones You can buy runes from New Age shops or online, but a lot of people like to make their own, and you can use stones or discs made from wood. Rune stones are often engraved but some are painted or drawn on instead. One way to make your own runes would be to find 24 similar size pebbles or cut 24 discs out of wood, and write on each one with a black marker pen......
- Fresh Mexican Soup RecipesIf you love both Mexican food and soup, prepare yourself to discover more about lovely south of the border soups. There are certainly a lot of Mexican soup recipes to sample and they are ideal for special occasions, perhaps Easter, Christmas or someone’s birthday, and the spicy ones are great when the weather is chilly because they are wonderfully warming. Not all Mexican soup recipes are spicy though. Some are mild and others are sweet. Some of them can be served as appetizers while others are better for the entrée or even as dessert. There really is something for everybody. Take cream of jalapeño soup, which is ideal when the weather is .....