Chinese Chicken Salad
Chinese chicken salad is a tasty, nutritious option and it makes a wonderful lunch. Perhaps you usually have ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing or Italian dressing over mixed leaves and you are getting tired of it.
Or it could be you are simply looking for new lunch inspiration. Whichever is the case, this Chinese chicken salad is very simple to prepare and the flavors work wonderfully together.
What is Chinese Chicken Salad?
You can use a julienne peeler to cut the vegetables into matchstick shapes, or if you don’t have one cut them by hand. We are using romaine and baby leaves in this dish too, along with grilled chicken, edamame beans, green onion and mandarin segments. The dressing is especially delicious, made with soy sauce, hot sauce, garlic, honey, mustard, rice wine vinegar, and herbs.
A teaspoon of hot sauce in your Chinese chicken salad dressing really kicks up the heat a notch. You can adjust this though if you would rather make a mild-tasting dressing. Serve this for lunch or have it as a light evening meal.
Feel free to adjust the ingredients if you don’t have some of them. You can use different lettuce, switch the vegetables around or use steamed chicken. Make it your own. This is the best Chinese chicken salad in terms of flavor, in my opinion!
Make Your Chinese Chicken Salad Unique
When I make it I usually just take a look in the vegetable drawer and pull out anything that needs to be used up. If you want to use just salad leaves, chicken, mandarin segments, noodles and the dressing though, that is also fine. You could even throw some chopped nuts in there.
This easy Chinese chicken salad is wide open to tweaking, so make it however you wish, using the ingredients you have available.
- 16 canned mandarin segments
- 1 chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup (150g) chopped grilled chicken
- 2 chopped green onions
- ½ cup (75g) cooked, shelled edamame beans
- ½ julienned red bell pepper
- 1½ cups (2 handfuls) mixed baby leaves
- ½ cup (25g) julienned carrots
- ¾ cup (115g) cooked ramen or chow mein noodles
- ½ cup (25g) julienned red cabbage
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Black pepper, to taste
- Put the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to mix, or combine them in a food processor.
- Set the dressing to one side to let the flavors blend.
- Toss the leaves, romaine, cabbage, green onion, bell pepper, carrots and edamame together.
- Add in the dressing and toss a few times.
- Add in the noodles, chicken and mandarin segments.
- Toss the mixture once more, then divide the salad between 4 chilled plates and serve.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Healthy Easy Shrimp Salad RecipeShrimp is a great addition to salad recipes. It offers a subtle, light flavor and goes well with many other salad ingredients. A base of salad leaves or spinach can be topped with hot, warm or chilled cooked shrimp along with other things like pineapple chunks or mandarin segments for sweetness, walnuts or cashews for crunch, cherry tomatoes for color and anything else you want to add to your healthy easy shrimp salad recipe. You can cook shrimp in various ways, such as deep-frying, stir-frying, boiling, baking or grilling. If you want to pan-fry the shrimp, they will only take a couple of minutes, as will boiling or grilling, although if .....
- Very Easy Starter RecipesThere are easy starter recipes, or appetizers, for every season and occasion – something for every palate and every diet. So what are you going to make for your starter recipe? You might already be considering meat, fish, international appetizers or something else, or you might just be looking for some ideas and inspiration. There are lots of different easy starter recipes which are suitable for everyone from beginner cooks right up to seasoned chefs. If you want some tips on making the best easy starter recipes for any event, have a look at our articles or if you already have some idea of what you want to make you can browse our .....
- Different Kinds of Starter RecipesThere are many different kinds of starter recipes, ranging from basic two or three ingredient combinations which you can put together in one minute flat, to the more elaborate and gourmet style dishes which are a mixture of many ingredients and take a long time to create. There are different dishes for different occasions and you should always match the type of food you serve with the people who are going to be eating it and the type of occasion itself. Old Favorites and Classic Starters There is nothing wrong with sticking to tried and tested recipes if you aren’t sure what to make. There are many kinds of starter recipes to choose .....
- Wonderful Weightwatchers RecipesWeightWatchers is certainly a diet to consider if you want to lose a few pounds. This company was founded by Jean Nidetch from Brooklyn in the 1960s. Today WeightWatchers is international and operates in more than thirty countries. There are lots of WeightWatchers recipes you can make, most of which are really tasty. This diet program includes regular meetings, group support and a points system to calculate how much food you can eat in order to shed excess weight. Weightwatchers Recipes and Weight Watchers Points Each type of food or beverage has a point value and you first calculate how many points you are allowed per day (depending on your .....
- Baked Chicken ChimichangasBaked chicken chimichangas might change your whole idea of deep-frying! Chimichangas are gorgeous although they are often considered an indulgence because they are deep-fried. Saying that, it is perfectly possible to oven-bake this tasty snack and that cuts down on fat and calories, offering up a healthy meal which is just as good as its deep-fried cousin! If you want to know how to bake chimichangas read on for a great recipe. We have chosen to use chicken in this baked chicken chimichangas recipe but feel free to use beef, pork, beans, cheese – anything you want really. The filling is up to you. Some people like to make a vegetarian .....
- Ham and Lentil SoupAdd ham to your lentil soup and not only do you have a tasty, nutritious soup but you can also enjoy the meatiness that ham adds in there. Ham and lentil soup is great for lunch or as a comforting, warming snack. Whether you are using a ham hock or some leftover cooked ham, you can add that flavor to the lentil soup and be guaranteed that it will come out beautifully. Ham and lentil soup is usually thick and chunky, and the lentils will start to disintegrate when they are cooked, thickening up the soup without you needing to add starch or another thickener. Why You Should Make this Ham and Lentil Soup This is a great recipe for home cooks .....
- Hot Honey and Lemon Drink for the FluNobody likes to be suffering with a cold or the flu but if you are unfortunate enough to have it, then the good news is there is a wonderful hot honey and lemon drink for the flu you can make yourself quickly and easily, which will help you feel better. All you need are honey and lemon to make this hot honey and lemon drink for the flu, as well as some hot water, so while the kettle is coming to a boil, you can squeeze some fresh lemon juice. If you don’t have any lemons then squeezy lemon juice will do at a pinch. You might also want to add some whiskey, brandy or your favorite liquor. Although this does not do much for your cold or .....
- Honey Roasted Nuts with RosemaryIf you are looking for an amazing snack, consider this honey roasted nuts with rosemary recipe. You can use any kind of nuts you want, maybe just walnuts or cashews, or a selection of your favorites. Just choose plain ones, not the spiced, salted or already-roasted kind. Walnuts work really well in this honey roasted nuts with rosemary recipe, or you might want to use different ones so people can take a peek and pick out their favorite ones. Make a big batch of this (perhaps double the recipe) if you have a crowd coming over, because the roasted nuts keep for up to a week in an airtight container. The first thing to do when making honey .....
- Oysters in Chive Sauce RecipeOysters are great served either cold or warm like in this delicious seafood starter recipe. You can serve this as a canape or as a starter dish for a summer dinner. Oysters are not the cheapest type of seafood but they are special and you do not have to serve a lot to each diner. Make this oysters in chive sauce recipe and you won’t regret it. Oysters in Chive Sauce Recipe: Surprisingly Simple to Make A lot of people think twice about making oysters recipes because they are thought to be difficult but actually the opposite is true. Oysters are easy to work with. In this recipe for oysters you simply make the sauce and grill the oysters .....
- Best Toaster Oven Under $30Buy the best toaster oven for less than $30 and be assured it will be perfect quality. Perhaps you have read some reviews of toaster ovens or maybe you are just thinking about adding one to your kitchen. Non stick cookware toasters review articles are essential to provide you with the information you need to decide if this toaster will suit your needs and budget. Toaster ovens are cheaper to run than large ones, so you can save money if you are just cooking or reheating a small amount of food. They will not overheat your kitchen the way large ovens can either, which is another benefit of the best toaster oven......