Crispy Chicken on Kale Salad
Sometimes the best salads are those which team contrasting ingredients. Take this one, for example. The crispy warm chicken contrasts with the cool kale salad perfectly. I often used mixed salad leaves instead of kale, but my husband loves kale so I use that whenever I can. This crispy chicken on kale salad is so good!
The Perfect Contrast
The chicken is coated in a tasty panko and parmesan mixture and baked in the oven until it is golden brown and crispy, then you can slice it and serve it on top of the tangy honey-mustard dressed salad. This crispy chicken on kale salad sounds good but tastes even better.
This is filling, nutritious and really satisfying. Panko, or Japanese breadcrumbs, are perfect for everything from shrimp to chicken, to add a really crispy coating. We are using Italian dressing to help the coating stick to the chicken, but use a beaten egg if you don’t have the Italian dressing, since that does the same job.
How to Serve Crispy Chicken on Kale Salad
Serve this crispy chicken on kale salad for lunch or dinner. It always goes down well and you will find even the kids love the warm, crispy chicken. You can use any kind of skinless, boneless chicken. Perhaps you have some frozen tenderloins you can thaw overnight or a couple of chicken breasts in the refrigerator. Enjoy this with some crusty bread on the side or just as it is.
Why not garnish the finished crispy chicken on kale salad with some shredded parmesan, a sprig of fresh parsley or anything else you wish to add? Actually anything goes here. Throw some raisins, chopped nuts, sunflower seeds, tangerine segments, capers, pineapple chunks,bacon bits, or anything else you want into the salad. Anything goes here. You can take our crispy chicken on kale salad recipe, put a twist on it, and really make it your own.
- 1 lb (450g) skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 cup (150g) Panko crumbs
- ½ cup (75g) shredded parmesan
- ½ cup (125 ml) Italian dressing
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups (110g) chopped, stemmed kale (or use salad leaves)
- ½ red onion, in thin slices
- ½ cup (70g) toasted sesame seeds or chopped walnuts
- ½ cup (75g) crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup (25g) shredded or grated carrots
- ½ diced red bell pepper
- ½ diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup (65 ml) olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Cover a baking pan in aluminum foil and put a metal cooling rack on top.
- Spray the cooling rack with nonstick cooking spray.
- Put the Italian dressing in one bowl and combine the panko, parmesan and garlic in another.
- Dip the chicken in the dressing and then into the panko mixture to coat.
- Arrange the coated chicken on the cooling rack.
- Cook for 15 minutes, turning halfway through, or until cooked through.
- While the chicken cooks, put the kale or salad leaves in a bowl.
- Whisk the honey, vinegar and mustard in another bowl.
- Slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking all the time.
- Grind in some salt and black pepper.
- Toss the sesame seeds, feta cheese, carrots, bell pepper and red onion with the kale or salad leaves.
- Pour the dressing over the kale or salad leaves and toss to mix..
- Serve the kale salad with the crispy chicken on top.
Photo by Christine Leiser, on Flickr