Curried Chicken Waldorf Salad Recipe
If you fancy making a waldorf salad recipe with a twist, try this delicious version with curried chicken. A traditional waldorf salad contains just red apples, mayonnaise and celery and the walnuts came later. You can use more curry paste in this curried chicken waldorf salad recipe if you want, depending how hot you like it.
An Interesting Twist
Puritans might argue this curried chicken waldorf salad recipe is not actually a “waldorf salad” exactly, because there are other ingredients in the mix which never appeared in the original dish. But I prefer to say this is a twist on the classic recipe, because it features everything you would expect to find, that wonderful combination of sweet and savory, soft and crunchy, as well as other ingredients too, to support the flavour and add further dimensions to the overall taste of it.
This curried chicken waldorf salad recipe is a great option as a starter recipe because it is light enough not to fill everyone up before their main course but filling enough to be a good appetizer. Waldorf salad is known all around the world and if you like the classic recipe for it but wish to try something slightly different, this dish is very good.
- 500g (1 lb) skinless, boneless cooked chicken in 10 cm (4 inch) strips
- 1 teaspoon curry paste
- 150ml (2/3 cup) mayonnaise
- 150ml (2/3 cup) natural yogurt
- 1 small lettuce, shredded
- 75g (1/3 cup) walnuts, chopped
- 100g (3½ oz) green seedless grapes, halved
- 4 spring onions (scallions) or 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 2 dessert apples
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- Juice of a lemon
- Salt and black pepper
- Combine the mayonnaise and yogurt.
- Mix the curry paste and lemon juice and fold this into the mayonnaise mixture.
- Core and slice the apples without peeling them.
- Add these to the mayonnaise with the grapes, walnuts, celery and onions.
- Add the chicken, turning to coat well with the mayonnaise.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper and perhaps more lemon juice if necessary.
- Divide the lettuce between 4 bowls, arrange the salad on top and serve right away.
This spin on waldorf salad is great. Enjoy this curried chicken waldorf salad recipe as an appetizer or light meal with bread or crackers. Not only can you enjoy an appealing curried salad but you get the classic waldorf ingredients in it. The mayonnaise and yogurt make a creamy dressing. The mayonnaise is creamy and the yogurt stops it from being too rich. Yogurt is often served with curry, another reason to use it. The walnuts and grapes add nutrients, as do the other ingredients, and of course the chicken is wonderful in this recipe. If you are in the mood for something new, why not try this delicious waldorf salad? Served over lettuce or even used to fill sandwiches, you are sure to enjoy its aromatic flavour.
Image courtesy of Adactio, on Flickr.com
Some More Hot Content For You
- Low Carb Mini Quiches RecipeWhether you serve these low carb mini quiches for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just as a snack, there is no doubt these mini quiches will satisfy your hunger. Eggs are a basic staple on low carb diets because they offer plenty of nutrients, they are filling and tasty, and there are so many recipes you can make with this versatile, budget ingredient. Eggs are great for vegetarians and pescetarians, as well as carnivores. Low Carb Mini Quiches: An Easy Freezy Idea! One great thing about this low carb mini quiches recipe is you can freeze the quiches, then just pop one in the microwave for half a minute. Make a big batch at once and you will .....
- Benefits of Tai ChiWhen most people think of exercise, they think of strenuous activity. Sweating it out at the gym while trying to figure out the weight machines or pounding the pavement outside isn’t the only way to exercise, though. Some exercise can be relaxing and Tai Chi is one of those. Tai Chi is not only an exercise for the body, but only for the mind. There are benefits of Tai Chi most other exercises won’t give you......
- Easy Sukiyaki RecipeOne of my favorite Japanese dishes has to be sukiyaki. This is similar to shabu-shabu, and is a hot pot style dish with thinly sliced beef and vegetables in a sweet, tangy sauce. You can also get vegetarian sukiyaki recipes. This versatile and easy sukiyaki recipe is perfect for cool winter evenings, and you can present or even cook it in a pot in the middle of the dinner table. The ingredients are usually dipped into raw, beaten eggs before being eaten, although this is not so prevalent outside Japan. An easy sukiyaki recipe is usually a winter dish in Japan, often served at year-end parties. Thinly sliced beef is usually the meat that goes .....
- Layered Mason Jar Salad IdeasMason jars have many uses, such as canning, storing grains, shaking cocktails, and more, but one of the best ways to use them, and something very popular right now, is making mason jar salad recipes. There are plenty of layered mason jar salad ideas to consider. You have the dressing at the bottom and then vegetables, then other ingredients and finally your lettuce or salad greens. Keep the jar upright and you will keep the greens away from the dressing until you tip the whole delicious lot on to a plate at lunchtime. This type of salad lasts for days in the refrigerator (depending on what you put in there) so you can make all your weekday .....
- An Introduction to Breda for VisitorsBreda (pronounced bray-DAH) is a city and municipality in the south of the Netherlands. The name comes from ‘brede Aa’ which means ‘wide Aa’, referring to where the rivers Mark and Aa meet. In 2014, Breda, Netherlands had 180,420 residents. Breda is known for its food and drink industry, and companies like Van Melle (Mentos), Kwatta (chocolate), Hero (soft drinks), and De Faam (licorice) are based there and known throughout Western Europe. Breda beer is exported all over the world, and there is also a sugar factory there to supply the sweet stuff to the food and beverage factories. The biggest brewery in the Netherlands, Oranjeboom, was .....
- Chili with Baked PotatoChili is always good, especially when served on a baked potato with some grated cheese on top, and perhaps also some sour cream or guacamole if you like it. Try chili with baked potato for lunch and see how satisfying this dish is. Chili is versatile enough to be tweaked a lot, so not only can you choose how spicy you want it but you can also choose the ingredients which go in there, such as kidney beans or another kind of bean, garlic, even some grated Mexican chocolate or cocoa powder if you wish. This recipe shows you how to make a simple chili con carne recipe using ingredients guaranteed to come together seamlessly and offer an .....
- 100 Calorie Vegetable SoupI love making this 100 calorie vegetable soup but I am quite lazy sometimes! Even though I will go to the trouble of roasting pumpkin to make pumpkin soup or caramelizing onion for French onion soup, other times I like to toss the ingredients into a pot. Then I forget about it for an hour, then puree the results, and actually that’s how you end up with a really good vegetable soup recipe sometimes! If you’re new to making soup (or looking for some vegetable soup ideas) read on for a very easy recipe for 100 calorie vegetable soup. I’d like to share my 100 calorie vegetable soup recipe with you because I’ve made it a .....
- Corned Beef Hash with a TwistThis corned beef hash recipe is fantastic and it is versatile enough to be breakfast, brunch, lunch, or just a comfort food snack if you are in the mood for it. The twist is the cream in the recipe and even though that might sound like an odd ingredient for corned beef hash it totally transforms it from good to great, so give this recipe a try and this might be how you make your corned beef hash from now on. As well as the potatoes and corned beef you will need butter and cream to add a luxurious mouth feel, onion and bell pepper to add nutrients, color and crunch, and some eggs if you wish to garnish your corned beef hash with fried eggs .....
- Easy Spaghetti Bolognese SauceThis easy spaghetti Bolognese sauce is so good. Once you have made it you will never want to use a jar of spaghetti sauce again! Making your own is always best and this recipe is so easy as well. Featuring ground beef and red wine for a full flavor, this easy spaghetti Bolognese sauce also includes garlic sausage or bacon, as well as garlic and mushrooms, for a gourmet flavor. In fact this easy spaghetti Bolognese sauce would be special enough to serve at a dinner party. Everyone loves Italian food and serve this over fresh spaghetti with a sprig of green basil on top for a beautiful meal. Serve a glass of Italian red wine on the side to add .....
- Ground Beef Wontons with Green OnionThese delicious ground beef wontons with green onion contain ground beef and green onions of course, along with soy sauce and more. You can either steam or simmer them, and you can even freeze them and cook them from frozen whenever you have a wonton craving! If you are wondering just how versatile wontons are the answer is… very! They can be steamed, boiled, baked or deep fried, and they can be filled with all kinds of wonderful fillings. Pork and shrimp make a typical filling, while other wonton recipes like Crab Rangoon wontons are also popular. Then there are beef recipes such as this one, and beef is both filling and rich-tasting, .....