Easy Freekeh Salad
Before you think about making this easy freekeh salad you might be wondering about this grain. What is freekeh, you might be thinking, and that is a very good question because a lot of people have never heard of this particular grain. Freekeh can also be spelt frikeh, and it is known as farik as well. This cereal food is made from green wheat which goes through a roasting process. It is traditional in Arabian cuisine along with North African and some other cuisines.
The wheat is harvested while the seeds are soft and the grains are yellow, and then it is sun-dried. Piles of freekeh are set on fire and the straw and chaff burn, leaving the seeds intact. The roasted wheat is then thrashed and dried more in the sun to get the right color, flavor and texture. The seeds are then cracked to resemble green bulgur and this is what goes into our easy freekeh salad recipe.
The earliest mention of freekeh was in the early 1200s in a Baghdad cookery book. In that particular recipe, meat is fried in oil, then braised with water, cinnamon bark and salt.
Next, dried coriander is added and then the dish is served with cinnamon, cumin and lamb fat. Freekeh is served as a pigeon stuffing in Egypt and it is made into a soup in Tunisia. One famous Syrian freekeh dish is made with roast lamb, spring peas and pine nuts. This grain is also enjoyed in Israel. So there are many alternatives to our easy freekeh salad.
Nutritional Benefits of Easy Freekeh Salad
Freekeh has 4 times as much fiber as some similar grains which are mainly comprised of insoluble fiber. Another benefit of freekeh is that it has a low glycemic index (GI) which means it is a suitable food for diabetics because it will not spike the blood sugar.
The following easy freekeh salad teams cooked freekeh with shallots, celery, hazelnuts, bell pepper, lemon, garlic, mint and more. The flavor is really good and this makes a nice side dish for chicken or meat, or you can serve it by itself, perhaps with pita bread, for lunch.
- 2 oz (60g) butter
- 1 finely diced celery rib
- 3 finely diced shallots
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 oz (200g) freekeh
- ½ cup (10g) chopped fresh mint
- 3½ oz (100g) chopped roasted hazelnuts
- 3½ oz (100g) finely chopped red bell pepper
- 6 finely sliced green onions
- 1 cup (20g) chopped parsley
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 3½ fl oz (100 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped sun-dried tomato (optional)
- 11 oz (310g) feta cheese (optional)
- Put the butter, celery, shallots, garlic and bay leaf in a pan and sweat them over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the freekeh under cold water then add it to the pan and stir it well with the butter mixture.
- Add 8 fl oz (230 ml) of water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover the pan.
- Keep cooking and check after 12 minutes to see if it's cooked.
- When it is soft but still a bit al dente (firm to the bite) take it off the heat.
- Spread it over a tray so it cools down fast.
- You can now keep it in an airtight container for up to 2 days or continue with the recipe.
- Combine the herbs, green onions, hazelnuts and bell pepper with the cooled freekeh.
- Combine the oil and lemon juice and drizzle this over the salad.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and/or feta if using.
Photo by Meal Makeover Moms, on Flickr
Some More Hot Content For You
- Chinese Kitchen EssentialsSome Chinese utensils are the same as Western ones, but not all. To make the best Chinese recipes you will need various pots and pans, ladles and spoons or spatulas. Yes, investing in Chinese kitchen essentials is going to be a good idea if you want to rustle up authentic Chinese recipes. A good-quality wok is also a staple, and you might like to get a bamboo steamer too since you can make steamed wontons in there, or even cook vegetables or chicken. A bamboo steamer can be yours for just $4 or $5. The texture of the bamboo allows steam to circulate and evaporate so you do not get a lot of moisture stuck on the lid. Also, you can steam more .....
- Middle Eastern Shakshuka RecipeShakshuka is a Middle Eastern tomato, bell pepper and egg dish. Sometimes it is spelt shakshouka. This Middle Eastern shakshuka recipe actually originated in Northern Africa and there are many different variations on the basic theme. The feta cheese is not a traditional ingredient, for example, but I love to add it because the creamy tang goes so well with the dish. Leave it out if you prefer though. How to Serve a Middle Eastern Shakshuka Recipe It is often served for breakfast in Israel with challah or pita on the side. The dish is also good for brunch or lunch. I like it with pita bread, homemade hummus and other Middle .....
- Gourmet Potato Salad with WalnutsPotato salad is always good, but what if you are in the mood for an elegant gourmet potato salad with walnuts rather than the comfort food style? The following recipe shows you how to add a gourmet twist to this all-American classic recipe, making it perfect for any special occasion. Potato salad offers not only delicious flavors but also a softness in the mouth, and it is this soft texture that we love. This gourmet potato salad with walnuts recipe features walnuts however, to add an unusual crunch to the dish. You will love how well the sherry vinegar and walnut oil combine, as well as how the other flavors work so nicely in the dish. .....
- Can You Freeze Wonton Wrappers – Freeze WontonsA lot of people wonder can you freeze wonton wrappers? The answer is yes you can freeze wonton wrappers (and you can also buy them frozen). The problem is if you freeze a pack of 50 wrappers and only want to make 10 wontons, how do you pull them apart? From trial and error, I have found that if you let the package thaw at room temperature until you can peel a few off the top without breaking any, then pop the unused ones back in the freezer, that works well. Alternatively you can thaw them all, make wontons and then freeze the wontons. It all depends on the wonton recipe you want to make, but sometimes if you are taking the trouble to make .....
- Deep-Fried Chicken Dim SumThis tempting deep-fried chicken dim sum recipe serves a crowd, and you can double it too. It is easy to make if you are methodical, mixing the filling together, then distributing it between the wrappers and working in batches. The crunchy hot chicken treats can be served alone or with your favorite sauce. Why We Love Deep-Fried Chicken Dim Sum, Actually ALL Dim Sum! Known as dim sum in Chinese, appetizers in the Western world, or tapas in Spain, small snacks will always have a place in our hearts and on our tables. They can precede a main dish or just be served as a snack. Dim sum, or Chinese appetizers, are versatile, tasty and just so .....
- Sesame SeedsSesame is a flowering plant and it is naturalized and cultivated for its edible seeds. Sesame seeds are believed to be the oldest oilseed crop and has been domesticated for more than 5000 years. The plant is drought-tolerant, making it a ‘survivor crop’ – capable of growing where most other crops would fail. In 2010, more than 3.84 million metric tons of sesame seeds were harvested in the world, the largest producer of which was Myanmar. India exported the most and Japan was the biggest importer. Sesame has one of the highest oil contents of any seed. This rich, nutty-tasting ingredient is used in many different cuisines, .....
- Authentic Spanish Omelet RecipeSpanish omelet, or tortilla espanola as it is also known, is a combination of potatoes and eggs, giving you not only a ton of flavor, but also a protein and energy boost. You can eat a Spanish omelet recipe hot, chilled or at room temperature. I Love This Spanish Omelet Recipe! When I lived in the Canaries and mainland Spain, a Spanish omelet recipe was one of my favorite tapas, and sometimes I would indulge in a Spanish omelet sandwich in crusty bread with aioli (garlic mayonnaise) and a touch of ketchup too. Oh – and a slice of cheese. Now that was a real treat! The main ingredients you need to make tortilla espanola are eggs and .....
- Elizabethan Chicken in Cream SauceThis delicious Elizabethan chicken in cream sauce recipe features chicken breasts, a lean and healthy choice, as well as onion and chicken stock for the base. The real appeal comes when you add grapes and sour cream, transforming this dish into something fruity and unique. Nutmeg and cider vinegar add a spicy twist to the flavor, and this may be served on rice or on a bed of mashed potatoes. Like most of our recipes, this Elizabethan chicken in cream sauce is pleasingly simple to put together. First you need to brown the chicken and then just keep it warm while you prepare the rest of the dish. Golden pan-fried onions are then simmered with .....
- Potato Leek Soup with BaconThis warm and delicious potato leek soup with bacon recipe makes a wonderful starter. The ingredients are very simple, and the main flavors come from the potatoes, leeks and bacon. The milk and cream add a wonderful, luxurious creaminess and the chicken stock gives the soup a good flavor. What Kind of Stock to Use for Potato Leek Soup with Bacon You could use vegetable stock if you wanted to but the best thing to use is fresh chicken stock rather than using stock cubes. Choose lean bacon for making this leek potato soup recipe, rather than streaky bacon, both for the better texture and a meatier flavor. Some More Hot Content For You Easy UK .....
- Potato Pierogi RecipeThis potato pierogi recipe is one of my favorites, but what are pierogi exactly? Well, pierogi are unleavened dough dumplings which are boiled and then fried or baked in butter. They can be stuffed with potatoes, ground meat, fruit, cheese, sauerkraut, or something else. Pierogi are normally half moon shape but they can also be triangular or rectangular. Not to be confused with pirog (Russian pies) or pirozhki (Russian stuffed fried buns), pierogi are small enough to be served several at a time, which is why the plural of the word is used when talking about them. These little snacks are popular in Russia, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, .....