Gourmet Potato Salad with Walnuts
Potato salad is always good, but what if you are in the mood for an elegant gourmet potato salad with walnuts rather than the comfort food style? The following recipe shows you how to add a gourmet twist to this all-American classic recipe, making it perfect for any special occasion.
Potato salad offers not only delicious flavors but also a softness in the mouth, and it is this soft texture that we love. This gourmet potato salad with walnuts recipe features walnuts however, to add an unusual crunch to the dish. You will love how well the sherry vinegar and walnut oil combine, as well as how the other flavors work so nicely in the dish.
Gourmet Potato Salad with Walnuts: Herby and Tasty
The minced fresh herbs work especially nicely in the dish, and you can add some minced chervil to the herbs mixture if you wish. Also, feel free to add other ingredients to the finished salad, such as blue cheese or bacon, if you want to make it more substantial, or serve it as an appetizer rather than a simpler side dish.
The more you make this gourmet potato salad with walnuts, the more you will fall in love with it, especially if you work fast and serve it while the potatoes are still warm. Serve this with something simple like a grilled chicken breast or a poached whitefish filet, so you don’t end up with flavors which don’t flatter each other.
- 2 lbs (1 kg) small thin-skinned potatoes, in ¼ inch slices
- 1 peeled garlic clove
- 1½ tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon each fresh parsley, chives and fresh tarragon, all minced
- ¼ cup (60 ml) walnut oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Small handful walnut halves
- Peel the potatoes if you wish (this is optional though).
- Put the potatoes in a pot with 3 pints of water and a couple tablespoons of salt and bring to a boil.
- Lower the garlic into the water and blanch it for about 45 seconds, then remove it and run it under cold water.
- Keep simmering the potatoes for 5 minutes or until they are tender but not too soft.
- Don't cover the pot.
- Drain them and keep about ¼ cup (60 ml) of the cooking water.
- Arrange the potatoes on a couple of rimmed baking sheets in one layer.
- Mince the garlic.
- Whisk the oil and vinegar with the garlic, some black pepper, and the reserved cooking water from the potatoes.
- Taste and add more salt if required.
- Drizzle the dressing over the potatoes and let the salad stand for 10 minutes.
- Mince the shallots and herbs now if not already done.
- Transfer to a serving dish.
- Sprinkle the shallots and herbs over the potatoes, along with the walnut halves.
- Toss gently with a rubber spatula and serve immediately.
This salad is OK to sit at room temperature for a couple of hours.
It is nice served at room temperature or when the potatoes are still quite warm.
Some More Hot Content For You
- The Best Casserole Dishes to BuyAlthough it can be nice to have casseroles in many shapes, sizes and colors, that is not always practical. That is, unless you have a huge budget and a lot of storage spare. Instead it makes more sense to figure out what type of casserole you need, the brand you prefer, and the size and shape you want. Also consider the material the dish is going to be made of. Then you can get the best casserole dishes for your household. You might want to start off with one casserole dish, or you might like to invest in a set. Perhaps your favorite casserole broke and you are shopping for a replacement, in which case you will find you have more choice .....
- Siberian Ice Diamond JewelryWhat is Siberian Ice diamond jewelry exactly, and where can you get some? Siberian Ice is a top quality diamond alternative which has recently begun to take the world by storm. It is very hard like diamonds and can even scratch glass. This diamond alternative is also guaranteed for life. Basically, it is an alternative to real diamonds which is much closer to an actual diamond than other imitations (cubic zirconia, for example) and that is why so many women are going crazy for it. They Look the Same A Siberian Ice diamond has almost the same visual appearance as a true diamond and it is almost as durable too, making it very attractive to .....
- Amazing Quinoa Burger RecipeThese delicious vegetarian burgers are made with quinoa and beans, ensuring they are hearty and appealing to vegetarians and carnivores alike. Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah, is a tasty grain available in health food stores and, these days, most food markets too. It is great for making everything from side dishes to this delicious quinoa burger recipe. Quinoa is actually a pseudocereal, not a true cereal, since it is not in the grass family. Quinoa is closely related to spinach and beetroot. It is high in protein and can be used to make appetizers, entrees, risotto-type dishes, and even burgers. If you have never cooked with this grain, grab .....
- Review of Every Yankee Candle Tart ScentI love Yankee Candle Tart Wax Melts and can’t seem to stop buying them! Since I have tried pretty much every scent, I thought I would share my Yankee Candle Tart scent reviews with you, to inspire you to try new scents and discover a new favorite perhaps. I have an electronic tart burner as well as a tea-light one, and my husband and I both like trying new fragrances in our home. The first time I ever tried using wax tart melts was when I found a bargain set in one of the local shops here in Holland including a tea-light burner and a few small melts. They were unbranded and didn’t smell that appealing but I liked the concept and .....
- Dim SumDim sum, which translates to mean ‘to dot your heart’ refers to small dishes eaten as snacks. These can be baked, deep-fried, steamed or braised, and they are presented well and delicious too. Examples of dim sum include har gao, steamed shrimp dumplings in a rice flour pastry, char siu bao, which are roast pork-filled steamed buns, lor bak ko, which is turnip cake, and woo kok, which is shrimp with Chinese mushrooms. A lot of dim sum restaurants also offer congee porridge, soups, steamed green vegetables and roasted meats. The serving size is small and you usually get three or four pieces in one dish. Dim sum is eaten with a cup .....
- How Many Calories in WineA lot of people dieting know how many calories are in food, or at least they have some idea and then find out the rest, so they can keep a record, but how about calories in wine because those count just as much. Wine drinkers might be surprised how many calories are in their favorite tipple. In fact, if you drink wine it’s vital to know. So, how many calories in wine exactly? Although most wines are less than 100 calories a glass that is not always the case and of course it depends on the serving size. Wine is lower in calories than a lot of other alcoholic drinks, with Sauvignon Blanc and Zinfandel at less than 80 calories a serving. .....
- Blue Cheese Stuffed Venison BurgersIf you are in the mood for a change from your usual homemade burger recipes, why not consider a venison burger recipe instead? These blue cheese stuffed venison burgers are very special indeed. Venison is very lean which means it is best to add some fat to the patties. This ensures they will come out juicy and succulent instead of dry. Some people add bacon trimmings to their blue cheese stuffed venison burgers while others will ask their butcher for any pork fat they don’t need (they might give it to you free!) Venison is very tasty and doesn’t need to be seasoned a lot. A little salt and black pepper along with the meat (and .....
- Chicken Wonton Soup with CabbageThis flavorful chicken wonton soup with cabbage also has green onions, sesame oil and more. If you are looking for an alternative to pork wonton soup recipes you might enjoy this one. You can make the filling up to 2 days in advance if you like. This flavorful chicken wonton soup recipe makes a healthy dinner or a warming lunch and you can even enjoy it as a snack in the middle of the morning of afternoon, whenever you aren’t ready for a meal but you want something more substantial than just a cup of coffee, which is not going to fill you up too much but still warm your belly and put a smile on your face. Chicken wonton soup recipes .....
- Authentic Thai Chicken Soup RecipeYesterday I decided to get a Thai massage. I suffer from a stiff neck and shoulders. For some reason, I hold all my tension in there! I love a good hot oil massage but the Thai massage is, well slightly different. More ‘painful’ but today I can move really freely and feel great! The woman was literally walking up my legs and back, digging her knees and elbows into me and making me yelp! However, ‘no pain no gain’ as they say, and today I can honestly say I feel great after it. And yes, all that gave me the inspiration to make this authentic Thai chicken soup recipe. Thai Food Inspiration While I was having this .....
- Best Brussels Sprouts Side DishI admit I used to hate Brussels sprouts as a child, largely thanks to the way they were presented in an over-boiled, mushy heap (apologies to my mother if she’s reading this) but seriously, sprouts are not only healthy, they can be yummy too, as long as you cook them right! So, find out how to cook Brussels sprouts like a pro and make the best Brussels sprouts side dish of all. In the old days, this vegetable used to be boiled to soggy death in water, then plonked on the plate alongside the meat or poultry of choice, and kids everywhere (myself included) would leave them on the plate until they were cold, hoping they would just… .....