Greek Couscous Salad
The following Greek couscous salad offers all the wonderful flavors typically found in Greek salad. Those include feta cheese, tomatoes, Kalamata olives and cucumber, along with a bright and zingy lemon-based dressing. But then you also have couscous in there which works perfectly and makes the Greek couscous salad more filling.
This Greek couscous salad is a versatile dish which can be served as an appetizer or main dish, perhaps teamed with some crusty bread and aioli or butter. It can be served chilled or at room temperature although we prefer it at room temperature because the flavors are better that way. Making a change from a Greek pasta salad recipe or other chilled Greek vegetable dish, you will find this refreshing and tasty.
The Perfect Side Dish for Greek Couscous Salad
Perhaps you are on the lookout for potluck recipes or you just want something which is going to go nicely with grilled meat or fish. This tasty couscous salad with Greek ingredients is a really good match, and the flavors are amazing.
I recommend you use the best quality ingredients you can get for this Greek couscous salad recipe, and that includes using a nice olive oil in the dressing and using Kalamata olives instead of just generic ones. Real feta cheese and fresh herbs instead of dried also lend the perfect flavor to the salad.
Make this Greek Couscous Salad Your Own
Feel free to tweak the ingredients if you want a different result. You could try this with pearl couscous (Israeli couscous) or swap the parsley for just oregano. Even use a different dressing. Make any tweaks you want, to truly make this salad your own.
- 1 cup (175g) uncooked yellow couscous
- 1½ cups (375 ml) water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup (100g) sliced, pitted Kalamata olives
- 10 oz (285g) halved grape tomatoes
- 4 inches (10 cm) chopped seedless cucumber
- Small handful chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 5 oz (140g) crumbled feta cheese
- Fresh parsley or basil, for garnish (optional)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Bring the water to a boil in a pan with a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Add the couscous and turn off the heat.
- Cover the pan then let the couscous sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff it with a fork then put it in a bowl to cool down a bit.
- Stir in the olives, tomatoes, oregano and parsley, then stir in the feta.
- Whisk the extra-virgin olive oil with the lemon zest and juice, salt, and pepper, to make the dressing.
- Stir the dressing into the salad then serve it either chilled or at room temperature.
- Add some fresh herb sprigs for garnish if you like.