Healthy Easy Shrimp Salad Recipe
Shrimp is a great addition to salad recipes. It offers a subtle, light flavor and goes well with many other salad ingredients. A base of salad leaves or spinach can be topped with hot, warm or chilled cooked shrimp along with other things like pineapple chunks or mandarin segments for sweetness, walnuts or cashews for crunch, cherry tomatoes for color and anything else you want to add to your healthy easy shrimp salad recipe.
You can cook shrimp in various ways, such as deep-frying, stir-frying, boiling, baking or grilling. If you want to pan-fry the shrimp, they will only take a couple of minutes, as will boiling or grilling, although if you want to grill or bake them, you will need to wait for the grill or oven to heat up first. Then cook them to perfection for your healthy easy shrimp salad recipe.
How Do You Know When Shrimp is Cooked?
Shrimp starts off a grayish color and turns pink when it is ready. When you see this color change it means your shrimp is done.
A healthy easy shrimp salad recipe belongs in various cuisines. You might like to keep the ingredients very simple and add some ranch or caesar dressing for an American flavor, marinate the shrimp in soy sauce to give them an Asian flavor, or even saute them with curry powder and other spices then serve them with a yogurt-based dressing for an Indian taste on your plate.You can buy ready-cooked shrimp to make a healthy easy shrimp salad recipe but cooking them is so quick and easy you might as well just cook them yourself for a fresher flavor.
I always keep frozen shrimp to hand. You can thaw them out fast and then use them in all kinds of dishes. Frozen shrimp taste just fine when they’re cooked.
How to Thaw Frozen Shrimp
You can leave them in the refrigerator overnight and they will be fully defrosted by the morning. If you are in a rush though, put them in a plastic bowl and pour cold water over them. Change the water every now and then.
Depending on the size of the shrimp they should be thawed in an hour or so (maybe less if you use warm water instead of cold).
This is a good method if you are going to be using the thawed shrimp immediately, such as making a healthy easy shrimp salad recipe or similar. It is not recommended to cook shrimp from frozen.
Tempting Ideas for Making a Healthy Easy Shrimp Salad Recipe
We already mentioned how you can tweak the spices and other flavors in a salad to bring a taste of another cuisine into it, but there is so much else you can do. What about making the perfect, healthy easy shrimp salad recipe to fill a baked potato or sandwich?
In that case, I would boil the shrimp until pink, then drain them well before tossing them with mayonnaise. Perhaps add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and some black pepper.
If you prefer a marie rose (thousand island) dressing for your healthy easy shrimp salad recipe, combine tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and perhaps even a splash of whisky to make a delicious pink sauce which goes beautifully with shrimp. Use your judgment as to the quantities you are using, adding small amounts of Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste until the flavor is just right.
Another idea is tossing the cooked shrimp with cold cooked noodles, mandarin segments, baby salad leaves, chopped peanuts and green onions, along with your favorite Asian salad dressing, to make an easy Asian shrimp salad.
Finally, what about threading the shrimp on to skewers (bamboo ones must be soaked in cold water for 30 minutes first) and then grilling them? This works well with large shrimp, tail-on too if you want. Then you can serve them, still on the skewers, on a bed of mixed salad leaves, with some yogurt-based dressing (try a mixture of Greek yogurt, grated cucumber, fresh mint leaves, salt and garlic powder). That would a really good way of making a healthy easy shrimp salad recipe.
- 2 large handfuls mixed salad leaves or baby spinach
- 1 small handful raw medium shrimp
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons your favorite salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese
- Small handful well-drained pineapple chunks
- Crispy onions or bacon bits
- 1 chopped green onion
- Anything else you wish to add!
- Boil the shrimp in lightly salted water for 2 minutes or until pink.
- Alternatively you can fry them in a little olive oil for 2 minutes or until pink.
- Put the salad leaves in a bowl topped with the shrimp and cherry tomatoes.
- Add any of the optional ingredients and either leave the salad layered or toss it.
- Now drizzle the salad dressing on top, and serve.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Marsala Chicken with AsparagusMarsala chicken is a tasty Italian dish which you can find not only in the best Italian restaurants but also in your very own kitchen if you choose to follow this marsala chicken with asparagus recipe. This marsala chicken with asparagus dish is made with chicken thighs which offer more flavor than breast, and are also juicier and more succulent. Chicken thighs are harder to overcook and dry out than chicken breast. Leek, fennel and asparagus make up the vegetable content of the dish. As well as the chicken and veggies, this Italian Marsala chicken recipe features lemon juice, Marsala wine and parsley, to bring out all the delicious flavors .....
- Hummus Recipe No TahiniYou can make a perfectly delicious hummus recipe no tahini in a couple of minutes. In fact a hummus recipe without tahini is just as good as the traditional kind. However you choose to enjoy your hummus – served as a dip with breadsticks or veggie crudites, or paired with homemade falafel in pita bread, you will love this version. As well as the chickpeas, which are also known as garbanzo beans, you are going to need oil, garlic, lemon, cumin and salt. Those ingredients will help you get the right hummus recipe no tahini texture along with the perfect flavor. You might want to thin it with a bit more water and/or add more salt to get .....
- Best Yeast Infection TreatmentsYeast infections can affect anyone, regardless of your age, gender or lifestyle; however, there are treatments available that will ensure that you do not need to suffer. This infection is triggered by the natural fungus Candida being allowed to grow and spread. Yeast is present in everyone’s body but, when provided with the ideal environment, it can grow out of control , which is when you will be desperately looking for the best yeast infection treatments to get things under control once more. Common places for yeast infections to strike are the vaginal area, nail bed, diaper area, and mouth, all of which can be uncomfortable. You may .....
- Layered Mason Jar Salad IdeasMason jars have many uses, such as canning, storing grains, shaking cocktails, and more, but one of the best ways to use them, and something very popular right now, is making mason jar salad recipes. There are plenty of layered mason jar salad ideas to consider. You have the dressing at the bottom and then vegetables, then other ingredients and finally your lettuce or salad greens. Keep the jar upright and you will keep the greens away from the dressing until you tip the whole delicious lot on to a plate at lunchtime. This type of salad lasts for days in the refrigerator (depending on what you put in there) so you can make all your weekday .....
- Amethyst Engagement Rings | 10 of the Most BeautifulAmethyst is a beautiful stone and a great choice for an engagement ring. I’ve found 10 stunning amethyst engagement rings which you are free to drool over! Not everyone wants a classic diamond solitaire. Some women prefer something more unique, which resonates with their personality more than a classic diamond. If you find amethyst magical, mystical or just beautiful consider amethyst engagement ring ideas and see which style resonates with what you personally love. Amethyst is usually a purple color but you can also get a green variety which is even more unusual. You can pair amethyst with white, yellow or rose gold, or even silver or .....
- How to Make Wontons Like a ProThe first thing you need to do when making wontons is familiarize yourself with how these bite-sized treats are made, and find out what you need to make wontons. Knowing how to make wontons doesn’t require a whole lot of training. Practice makes perfect and really, it’s easy! You also need to decide what type of wonton recipe you wish to prepare. Do you want to make a classic wonton soup recipe or would you like to start off with baked wontons or fried ones? You can even steam them if you have a bamboo steamer and you want a softer texture. Once you have found a good recipe for your wonton filling, you can assemble your wontons .....
- Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon and ShallotsHow does a warm spinach salad with bacon and shallots sound to you? This is a really satisfying recipe, and one of those you will be happy you made. Here, spinach is teamed with spinach and shallots, as well as garlic, nutmeg and even some hard-boiled egg if you like. Go ahead and add all your favorite ingredients to this warm spinach salad with bacon and shallots. Go ahead and personalize this salad as much as you want. It is going to taste great anyway. The result is a salad which is ideal for the cooler months and can be served alongside any meat, poultry or even seafood dish. Or you can enjoy the warm spinach salad with bacon and .....
- Easy Roast Duck Leg with PotatoesThis easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe makes a wonderful dinner. The duck combines perfectly with the roasted potatoes and you should also add your favorite green vegetable, or even some kind of salad on the side. A Greek salad would go well with this or consider some stewed red cabbage or similar. You will need a couple of duck legs for this easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe, along with potatoes and thyme. The duck is fried skin side down in a roasting pan, then you can flip it over and add the potatoes. Add thyme, salt and black pepper, and then you can roast the duck and potatoes for about an hour and a half or up to two .....
- Hot Cherry Pit Pillow ReviewI love my hot cherry pit pillow and use it all the time. A couple of weeks ago I slept in a strange position on a flight and ended up with not only a crick in my neck but also really stiff shoulders. I remembered I had given my mother a hot cherry pit pillow for her birthday a year back and thought something warm on my shoulders would feel nice. It’s hard to keep a hot water bottle in that position but a long, thin shaped pillow would be perfect, so I placed an order and it came the following day. I was very excited to open it, heat it up and enjoy the wonderful feeling!.....
- Strawberry Apple SmoothieThis wonderful strawberry apple smoothie recipe makes the most amazing smoothie. If you are in the mood for something cool, fruity and reminiscent of the summer then go ahead and make this. It only takes a few minutes and the flavor is amazing. The texture of our strawberry apple smoothie is not too thick or too thin but just right, so you can use a straw if you want. Frozen strawberries are always found in the bottom drawer of my freezer. Not only are they handy to thaw and add to yogurt or whiz up with cream sugar to make mousse, but they are cheaper than fresh strawberries. I save the fresh ones to enjoy with Greek yogurt as a dessert or .....