Healthy Easy Shrimp Salad Recipe
Shrimp is a great addition to salad recipes. It offers a subtle, light flavor and goes well with many other salad ingredients. A base of salad leaves or spinach can be topped with hot, warm or chilled cooked shrimp along with other things like pineapple chunks or mandarin segments for sweetness, walnuts or cashews for crunch, cherry tomatoes for color and anything else you want to add to your healthy easy shrimp salad recipe.
You can cook shrimp in various ways, such as deep-frying, stir-frying, boiling, baking or grilling. If you want to pan-fry the shrimp, they will only take a couple of minutes, as will boiling or grilling, although if you want to grill or bake them, you will need to wait for the grill or oven to heat up first. Then cook them to perfection for your healthy easy shrimp salad recipe.
How Do You Know When Shrimp is Cooked?
Shrimp starts off a grayish color and turns pink when it is ready. When you see this color change it means your shrimp is done.
A healthy easy shrimp salad recipe belongs in various cuisines. You might like to keep the ingredients very simple and add some ranch or caesar dressing for an American flavor, marinate the shrimp in soy sauce to give them an Asian flavor, or even saute them with curry powder and other spices then serve them with a yogurt-based dressing for an Indian taste on your plate.You can buy ready-cooked shrimp to make a healthy easy shrimp salad recipe but cooking them is so quick and easy you might as well just cook them yourself for a fresher flavor.
I always keep frozen shrimp to hand. You can thaw them out fast and then use them in all kinds of dishes. Frozen shrimp taste just fine when they’re cooked.
How to Thaw Frozen Shrimp
You can leave them in the refrigerator overnight and they will be fully defrosted by the morning. If you are in a rush though, put them in a plastic bowl and pour cold water over them. Change the water every now and then.
Depending on the size of the shrimp they should be thawed in an hour or so (maybe less if you use warm water instead of cold).
This is a good method if you are going to be using the thawed shrimp immediately, such as making a healthy easy shrimp salad recipe or similar. It is not recommended to cook shrimp from frozen.
Tempting Ideas for Making a Healthy Easy Shrimp Salad Recipe
We already mentioned how you can tweak the spices and other flavors in a salad to bring a taste of another cuisine into it, but there is so much else you can do. What about making the perfect, healthy easy shrimp salad recipe to fill a baked potato or sandwich?
In that case, I would boil the shrimp until pink, then drain them well before tossing them with mayonnaise. Perhaps add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and some black pepper.
If you prefer a marie rose (thousand island) dressing for your healthy easy shrimp salad recipe, combine tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and perhaps even a splash of whisky to make a delicious pink sauce which goes beautifully with shrimp. Use your judgment as to the quantities you are using, adding small amounts of Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste until the flavor is just right.
Another idea is tossing the cooked shrimp with cold cooked noodles, mandarin segments, baby salad leaves, chopped peanuts and green onions, along with your favorite Asian salad dressing, to make an easy Asian shrimp salad.
Finally, what about threading the shrimp on to skewers (bamboo ones must be soaked in cold water for 30 minutes first) and then grilling them? This works well with large shrimp, tail-on too if you want. Then you can serve them, still on the skewers, on a bed of mixed salad leaves, with some yogurt-based dressing (try a mixture of Greek yogurt, grated cucumber, fresh mint leaves, salt and garlic powder). That would a really good way of making a healthy easy shrimp salad recipe.
- 2 large handfuls mixed salad leaves or baby spinach
- 1 small handful raw medium shrimp
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons your favorite salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese
- Small handful well-drained pineapple chunks
- Crispy onions or bacon bits
- 1 chopped green onion
- Anything else you wish to add!
- Boil the shrimp in lightly salted water for 2 minutes or until pink.
- Alternatively you can fry them in a little olive oil for 2 minutes or until pink.
- Put the salad leaves in a bowl topped with the shrimp and cherry tomatoes.
- Add any of the optional ingredients and either leave the salad layered or toss it.
- Now drizzle the salad dressing on top, and serve.
Some More Hot Content For You
- iPod Scams and How to Avoid ThemMaybe you have seen iPods or mp3 players on eBbay retailing for a few cents and wonder how come they’re so cheap when in the stores they cost many times that price. The phrase ‘iPod scams’ might come to mind right away because, well, who in their right mind would sell a perfectly working iPod for a few cents? Despite this being obvious, people still get sucked into iPod scams. Not all scams are obvious either. The price might be significantly higher, like in the shop or slightly less, but maybe there is something wrong with the iPod or perhaps it’s not genuine or doesn’t have the amount of memory it should. You .....
- Best Wine Cooler for the HomeA wine cooler for the home is something you might want to consider. Wine coolers are becoming popular additions as more people include wine with every social gathering. Even if you do not enjoy a daily tipple you can still store your bottles in a cooler until required, then you know it will be the perfect temperature to serve. Not only is wine served for events and parties but as an everyday drink, which is enjoyed throughout the day. Storing the bottles can be a challenge, as you need to ensure that it is chilled correctly and the contents remain in perfect condition. This is why a wine cooler for the home could help. If you do not store .....
- Best Tweed Jackets for WomenTweed suits and the best tweed jackets for women make a fashion statement and you can buy some gorgeous pieces. Look at some of the best tweed jackets for woman and find something which is perfect for you. They are warm, stylish and comfortable. Buy a tweed jacket and you can be the envy of your friends. Choose from Warm or Cool, Heavy or Light, Thick or Thin Fabric Tweed comes in many different colors and you can get different blends too, perhaps warm wool for a winter jacket or a lighter blend with cotton if you still want the look of tweed during the warmer seasons. Invest in tweed and you will have a staple in your closet which is never .....
- Super Low Calorie Cajun Lime Stir FryLow in calories yet sky-high in flavor, this low calorie Cajun lime stir fry is something you will want to make regularly. Vegetables such as bell peppers, celery, carrot and mushrooms are combined with tomato concentrate, Cajun seasoning and lime juice to make a simple yet wonderfully flavored dish. Work out the calories and it is only about 100, which is very low indeed. The bell peppers are the main ingredient in this low calorie Cajun lime stir fry, supported by the other veggies, but you can swap the vegetables for others if you wish. Broccoli, zucchini and okra would all work in our low calorie Cajun lime stir fry recipe. The sauce is .....
- Easy Pork and Ginger WontonsChinese recipes have been used for generations and have slowly been adapted to the Western world. However, if you want authentic, healthy meals, this cuisine is perfect. Try these easy pork and ginger wontons and you will see just how delicious Chinese food can be. There are many different recipes available to cater to your taste and budget. Ingredients need to be fresh, ensuring that all of the nutrients are locked inside the meal. There are ingredients which are chosen for every Chinese recipe, to enhance the flavors and produce the ideal texture. Vegetables are a huge part of these recipes, and you will find that many different forms can .....
- Lasagna with Ricotta and Italian SausageThis delicious lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage is a snap to make and it freezes well too if you wrap individual portions in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Simply unwrap and reheat any time you want to enjoy this ricotta lasagna again. If you want to use ground beef rather than the Italian sausage, go ahead. Tasty Lasagna with Ricotta and Italian Sausage Additions Some people like to add some sage to the sausage or use sweet sausage instead of the hot kind and add some red chili flakes. You know which you like best, so go ahead and choose your favorite kind when preparing this lasagna with ricotta and Italian sausage. If you .....
- Chunky Vegetable Stew with Potato RostiNothing beats a stew on a chilly day, and even if you do not eat meat or chicken, you can still make the most wonderful flavored chunky vegetable stew with potato rosti. This dish is made with vegetables instead of meat so it is also nutritious. The onion and garlic are fried first, just to turn them golden brown and bring out their wonderful aromas, then all the other ingredients go into the pot and the stew really starts to take shape. The seasonings for the chunky vegetable stew with potato rosti are cumin and orange juice, and then of course you have the garlic taste. This might not sound like much but don’t forget how great the .....
- Tuna Nicoise SaladThe classic French tuna nicoise salad is made with tuna, tomatoes, eggs, and nicoise olives. It can be served on a platter or on single plates. Some people like to serve it on a bed of salad leaves while others do not. You can use cooked or canned tuna. Perhaps you have had this before in a French restaurant, in which case it would have been made with ahi tuna (or canned tuna if it was a more casual setting). The following recipe shows you how to recreate this wonderfully balanced dish yourself. Optional Ingredients in Tuna Nicoise Salad Optional ingredients in tuna nicoise salad might include shallots, sweet red peppers and artichoke .....
- Moroccan Appetizer RecipesExperimenting with food and flavors is part of the fun when discovering new recipes and Moroccan food is often considered to be exotic and exciting. Why not experiment with Moroccan appetizer recipes and discover a brand new flavor sensation? Authentic Moroccan cuisine is straightforward, yet full of distinctive flavors and aromas. There is no other cuisine quite like it. You might never have considered cooking Moroccan food before but there is a huge array of different Moroccan appetizer recipes to choose from and no matter which ingredients you like to use, or what taste you want to aim for, there is sure to be a perfect recipe for you to .....
- Best Cajun Chicken Pasta RecipeAre you in the mood for Cajun cuisine or something Italian? This Cajun chicken pasta recipe offers the best of both worlds. Pasta is an Italian favorite of course, and Cajun seasoning just brings out the beauty of the chicken and the pasta, resulting in a dish you will adore. You might have enjoyed something similar before or perhaps the combination of Italian and Cajun is a brand new treat for your palate. Either way you will certainly enjoy this tasty dish. This is simple enough for beginner cooks to master and once you have made it you will be sure to want to make it again. The following recipe makes enough for 2 people so you can easily .....