How to Make Rice Salad
Learning how to make rice salad is very easy and there are so many different ways you can prepare this delicious dish. Rice salad is perfect for lunch or as part of a buffet, and you can also serve it alongside steak or with chicken or fish. Absolutely anyone can make rice salad recipes and once you are familiar with the recipe you can experiment with other ingredients to make the dish taste different.
How to Make Rice Salad: Simple Yet Perfect
There are not many steps you need to make this dish, which is why it is so simple. If you enjoy being creative in the kitchen you will love making it because you can be imaginative with what goes into it. That’s right, learning how to make rice salad is supremely simple.
First you need to cook your rice in a pot on the stove, then drain it and let it cool. Stir in some mayonnaise or another kind of dressing, then add meat, fish, seafood, chicken, vegetables, fruit, herbs, spices, or anything else you fancy. The resulting dish will be unique and wonderful.
Different Rice Salad Recipes
Perhaps you fancy a creamy rice salad made with mayonnaise or sour cream, adding some crunch with peanuts and some fruity sweetness with banana or strawberry slices, or perhaps you would prefer to make a healthy rice salad with lemon vinaigrette and some finely chopped raw veggies and herbs.
Try adding tuna and corn for a classic rice salad, or try soy sauce, sesame oil, water chestnut slices and Chinese mushrooms for an amazing Asian twist. The sky is the limit when learning how to make rice salad and not only that, but making your own unique variety of it!
Coordinating the Meal Elements
Image from Dreamstime
You can coordinate the rice salad with the other elements of the meal if you like. Perhaps you are serving fried chicken with rice salad, in which case what about using lemon juice, crispy fried bacon pieces, fresh herbs and sour cream in the rice?
That would really go nicely alongside the chicken. If you are serving a highly spiced or seasoned piece of meat or fish, keep the rice salad simple. In fact, the more flavors you have in the meat or fish, the simpler the rice salad needs to be.
Stir a little mayonnaise, a pinch each of salt and pepper and some finely chopped cooked mushrooms or zucchini in the rice, for example.
That would very simple and ensure the salad is not going to overpower or clash with the meat.
My Rice Salad Recipe
The point of this recipe is to give you a starting point. When finding out how to make rice salad you will want to make something basic and then tweak future recipes to your own taste and experiment if you wish. If you want to stir cooked chopped chicken or seafood into the cooled rice, go for it. Add capers if you like, or olives.
How do you make rice yellow, you might be wondering. That is simple. If you want your rice yellow not white, then add a pinch of turmeric to it before you add the boiling water. Saffron would also work but it’s expensive!
Omit the vegetables if you like, and add fruit instead. Make this rice salad your way, to inject your own personality and palate into it. It’s so easy. You can’t go wrong!
How to Cook Rice for Rice Salad Recipes
So how to make rice salad is about more than simply combining cooked rice with veggies and a dressing. To make a rice salad, you need to cook the rice until it is tender (simmer one part white rice in two parts salted water) and make sure you drain it well.
Different types of rice have different cooking times, so check the instructions on the package. If there are no instructions then use your judgment. You can tell when the rice is tender by tasting a little.
- Handful of uncooked white rice
- Mayonnaise, as needed
- Boiling water to cook the rice (enough to cover the rice by a couple inches)
- Finely chopped vegetables (eg broccoli mushrooms onion celery zucchini)
- ¼ cup (110g) grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- A few walnut halves or cashews
- Salt and black pepper
- Cook the rice following the instructions on the package, adding the finely chopped vegetables 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Drain well and let it cool.
- Stir in the mayonnaise (the amount depends how creamy you want it, so add a tablespoon at a time until it's just right).
- Stir in the cheese, nuts, herbs and a pinch each of salt and black pepper.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
How to Make Rice Salad: What Type of Rice to Use
Sushi rice would be good in an Asian style rice salad. Brown rice would provide a nutty base for a healthy rice salad.
Or try mixing your rice with quinoa or another grain, or even adding some wild rice to the mix. Store it in the refrigerator overnight and you can use it the next day to make some tasty buffet recipes.
Image Credit: RexRoof, on Flickr
For the dressing, you can add sour cream, mayonnaise, vinaigrette, or any salad dressing you like. Feel free to combine mayonnaise with lemon juice, curry powder or mayonnaise for a tangy and delicious dressing.
How to Make Rice Salad: Savory Rice Salad Recipe Ideas
Mix the cooled rice with mayonnaise, sour cream, heavy cream or a combination of these. Rice will be too dry if you do not add some kind of dressing. Use a fork or tablespoon to mix it in. Stir in a little at a time, adding more if necessary. If you do not add enough the rice will be dry. Adding too much will give you a gloopy mess, so take care you add the right amount.
Add a little salt and black pepper too, if needed. Perhaps some chilli powder would also be tasty, or some red pepper flakes.
Rice Salad Ideas
Add cashews and your favorite crumbled or grated cheese for an exciting, tasty dish. Add chopped beets, pineapple and peas for something with plenty of color. Add Cheddar, ham or tuna, and some peas for a retro rice salad. Add drained, canned crab and chopped anchovies or baby shrimp for a fishy one.
As well as the mayonnaise you might wish to stir in tomato concentrate, mustard or curry powder. If you are making a seafood or fish based salad, add some tomato concentrate stirred into a base of mayonnaise, and you can also throw in a couple drops of Worcestershire sauce and perhaps some Tabasco if you want to add some heat.
Whenever you make rice salad recipes using bold flavors like blue cheese and walnuts, or 2 kinds of fish or seafood for example, just use the mayo to keep the dressing flavor simple. If you are using chopped turkey and sultanas or beef and fried onions, feel free to include a pinch of curry powder to set off these amazing flavors and create a well balanced, stylish dish. Knowing how to make rice salad means you can try any of these tasty variations.
The key to making a winning rice salad is to be imaginative, thinking about combining colors and textures, as well as of course flavors.
Add finely chopped veggies or some fruit or chicken, shrimp, or whatever you like, and the chill the rice salad in the refrigerator to get your rice salad recipe cold. Taste it and check the flavors are balanced, then serve this delicious dish.
Photo by: Giffconstable, on Flickr
How to Make Rice Salad: Fruity Rice Salads
Yes rice pudding is a well-known dessert. However, it is possible to serve a sweet rice salad recipe on the buffet table alongside the savory foods. Using a fork or tablespoon, mix together your cold cooked rice with sour cream or mayo, then add some raw, baked or stewed chopped fruit and see what an amazing rice side dish that makes.
Try grapes, apples, banana, plums, raspberry, peach, strawberry, or several of these. Go exotic with mango, papaya and coconut, or keep things simple using apple and banana. Bright red fruits look attractive too.
You can use half mayo and half sour cream for a balanced flavor. Adding allspice, nutmeg or cinnamon brings out the fruitiness. Perhaps you would also like to add walnuts, cashews or a handful of peanuts to this fruit rice salad side dish recipe.
We All Love a Good Rice Salad
Oh yes, rice salad has been popular at buffets for over 50 years and it is not disappearing from our hearts just yet. Rice salad is always a fail-proof choice if you wish to make something economical and easy, yet tasty and impressive for everyone. Rice is filling and there are endless possibilities when making a rice salad recipe. The fact that you can make it ahead is another plus.
Making the Best Rice Salad for a Party
Discover how to make rice salad and cater easily for a party, even making big batches of it. Rice salad is one of the most popular dishes at a buffet and the dish is guaranteed to be finished. Even if it is not finished you can store it for a few days in the refrigerator. It will keep for a while, so just set out as much as you think people will eat and keep the rest in the refrigerator in case it is needed.
If you let the whole batch become warm you might have to toss it out after the party, since mayonnaise or cream dishes should not be left in warm conditions for too long. Cook a good amount of rice hours before your party, or preferable the day before. Then you will be able to divide it up and make various rice salad recipes, not just one. Rice costs very little so if you want to make party food which will not cost too much, ensure you have a big batch of rice salad. It is tasty, filling and always a hit at parties.
How to Make Rice Salad Like a Pro: Let the Rice Cool Down
Rice salad can be served chilled or at room temperature but not warm else it becomes a pilaf. Choose your own preferred serving temperature. Some people do like their rice salads chilled well and others like the way that having them warm brings out the subtle flavors in the recipe, so it is up to you.
Rice salad should not be left sitting around at room temperature for too long though, especially if you have added cream or mayonnaise, so take this into account when planning yours.
Photo Credit: Rooey, on Flickr
How to Serve Rice Salad
The most popular way to serve this dish is from a big salad bowl, offering a ladle or similar so that people can serve themselves. If you are serving it as an appetizer or as part of a main dish then you can fill small cups with the rice salad mixture, use a flat wide knife to level it off, and tip it out on to a serving plate. It will keep its shape.
Make sure you stuff as much rice salad as possible in the cup before turning it out on to the serving plate, to ensure it holds it shape. When sliding it out, hit it firmly on the plate so it slides out and stays cup-shaped. This looks excellent and adds a gourmet touch to dinner, so it is worth doing. Another option is to serve your fried chicken or steak on top of a bed of rice salad, or next to it.
So then you can add a handful of mixed green salad leaves to the dish and you have a complete meal. Rice salad is a key dish because it always makes a wonderful side dish and you can make a lot of it if you are preparing food for a buffet. Learning how to make rice salad means you will be able to prepare this tasty dish any time you choose.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Vegan Parsnip Crisps RecipeThis vegan parsnip crisps recipe is really well worth making. The crisps (chips) are made from parsnips. You can serve them as they are or with any dip you like, such as an onion dip, hummus or a salsa. These are one of our easiest vegan recipes. Vegan Parsnip Crisps: Crispy Crunchy Appeal Crisps are normally made from potatoes of course, and then you have ones made with sweet potatoes, but these are very similar, albeit offering a slightly more unusual flavor. Parsnips are tasty and versatile. They can be roasted or used to make a mash, or they might go in a soup or stew. Parsnips are lovely roasted and served alongside a roast, even a nut .....
- Easy Spaghetti Bolognese SauceThis easy spaghetti Bolognese sauce is so good. Once you have made it you will never want to use a jar of spaghetti sauce again! Making your own is always best and this recipe is so easy as well. Featuring ground beef and red wine for a full flavor, this easy spaghetti Bolognese sauce also includes garlic sausage or bacon, as well as garlic and mushrooms, for a gourmet flavor. In fact this easy spaghetti Bolognese sauce would be special enough to serve at a dinner party. Everyone loves Italian food and serve this over fresh spaghetti with a sprig of green basil on top for a beautiful meal. Serve a glass of Italian red wine on the side to add .....
- How to Plan Kitchen ImprovementsIf you want to improve your kitchen it is vital to plan it properly. If you don’t plan well, you might end up with an expensive bad kitchen which you are unhappy with. This is why it’s vital to learn how to plan kitchen layout, improvements and everything else. In the past, kitchen planning involved the stove, sink and refrigerator work triangle and the work surfaces took second place. Today there is a lot more to think about. Do you want a modern style kitchen? Do you want a rustic style kitchen with a kitchen pantry? Do you have your own ideas about how to blend styles to give your kitchen your own personal touch? It is common these .....
- Mediterranean Tapas PlatterIf you are looking for inspiration for quick and easy starter recipes, what about making a Mediterranean tapas platter? Tapas are great to nibble on and make a colourful and attractive starter recipe. For the best tapas recipe, choose a couple of different contrasting cheeses, some chorizo or salami, cherry tomatoes and olives. This mixture ensure you get plenty of color and diverse textures and flavors. Mediterranean Tapas Platter: Tasty Tapas Tips Choose any kind of olives you like for your Mediterranean tapas platter; black olives, green ones and stuffed ones are all good. Anchovies make nice tapas too, as do pickled onions, nuts, chopped .....
- Easy Spaghetti CarbonaraThis is a classic Italian dish made with spaghetti, bacon and eggs. There are different variations – some people add cream or cream cheese, some will add parsley or another herb, and others will use whole wheat spaghetti over white spaghetti. However you prefer it, an easy spaghetti carbonara recipe is well worth adding to your culinary repertoire. The following recipe is really simple, even if you are a newbie in the kitchen, and the flavor is amazing. This is good served with mixed salad leaves dressed with vinaigrette. Learning how to make spaghetti carbonara is a great idea if you want to serve something impressive but only have 2 .....
- Easy Chicken Cacciatore with Thighs and BreastsThis easy chicken cacciatore with thighs and breasts recipe is seriously impressive. With the right wow factor for a dinner party but with an ease of preparation to make the cook smile, you can’t go wrong with a chicken cacciatore recipe. This easy chicken cacciatore with thighs and breasts features chicken as well as wine, fresh herbs, tomato sauce and a few capers for good measure. Garlic and onion also feature for a nice, earthy flavor. Serve your chicken cacciatore with noodles or rice, or even mashed potatoes if you want to have the ‘comfort food’ type appeal, as well as your favorite steamed veggies. What does .....
- Easy Winter Appetizer IdeasMost people love to cozy up and relax during the colder months. There’s something about the winter weather that brings people together and gathering around some hearty and easy winter appetizer ideas is a great way to spend that time with friends and family. In the winter, it’s best to serve warm foods, but don’t let that overwhelm you. There are plenty of ways to present a great spread without slaving away in the kitchen for hours. You don’t have to tell anyone how easy the winter appetizer ideas were to prepare! One simple strategy for an appetizer sure to impress is to do fondue. Fondue can be easily customized to your party’s theme .....
- Interesting Things about Stuffed SquidI love seafood, especially stuffed squid. I was born in England but have lived in various places including the Canary Islands and Spain, which is how I picked up many tips about cooking stuffed squid and other seafood and how I developed my love of squid, octopus and every delightful treat from the sea! Like many people, I was nervous about cooking squid because I was worried about it turning rubbery, but with the right recipe and the correct cooking time/temperature that is not a concern, and if my squid is not tender then I know it just needs more time. Yes, being a fan of stuffed squid means knowing how to cook it properly. When a sharp .....
- Hawaiian Poke Co, Spring | Great Poke in HoustonPoke (pronounced po-kay, let’s get that out of the way first!) is currently a huge craze here in Houston, and actually nationwide. There are poke restaurants springing up all over the place as this tasty way of serving seafood takes off. Talking of ‘springing up’ there is a new poke restaurant in Spring, just north of Houston and south of The Woodlands. Spring is part of the Houston-Sugar Land-Woodlands metropolitan area. Hawaiian Poke Co, Spring, is one of the newcomers to this seafood lovers’ arena. This poke restaurant opened just a few weeks back, occupying Howie’s Tiki bar until 9pm when Howie’s .....
- Best Tweed Jackets for WomenTweed suits and the best tweed jackets for women make a fashion statement and you can buy some gorgeous pieces. Look at some of the best tweed jackets for woman and find something which is perfect for you. They are warm, stylish and comfortable. Buy a tweed jacket and you can be the envy of your friends. Choose from Warm or Cool, Heavy or Light, Thick or Thin Fabric Tweed comes in many different colors and you can get different blends too, perhaps warm wool for a winter jacket or a lighter blend with cotton if you still want the look of tweed during the warmer seasons. Invest in tweed and you will have a staple in your closet which is never .....