How to Make Rice Salad
Learning how to make rice salad is very easy and there are so many different ways you can prepare this delicious dish. Rice salad is perfect for lunch or as part of a buffet, and you can also serve it alongside steak or with chicken or fish. Absolutely anyone can make rice salad recipes and once you are familiar with the recipe you can experiment with other ingredients to make the dish taste different.
How to Make Rice Salad: Simple Yet Perfect
There are not many steps you need to make this dish, which is why it is so simple. If you enjoy being creative in the kitchen you will love making it because you can be imaginative with what goes into it. That’s right, learning how to make rice salad is supremely simple.
First you need to cook your rice in a pot on the stove, then drain it and let it cool. Stir in some mayonnaise or another kind of dressing, then add meat, fish, seafood, chicken, vegetables, fruit, herbs, spices, or anything else you fancy. The resulting dish will be unique and wonderful.
Different Rice Salad Recipes
Perhaps you fancy a creamy rice salad made with mayonnaise or sour cream, adding some crunch with peanuts and some fruity sweetness with banana or strawberry slices, or perhaps you would prefer to make a healthy rice salad with lemon vinaigrette and some finely chopped raw veggies and herbs.
Try adding tuna and corn for a classic rice salad, or try soy sauce, sesame oil, water chestnut slices and Chinese mushrooms for an amazing Asian twist. The sky is the limit when learning how to make rice salad and not only that, but making your own unique variety of it!
Coordinating the Meal Elements
Image from Dreamstime
You can coordinate the rice salad with the other elements of the meal if you like. Perhaps you are serving fried chicken with rice salad, in which case what about using lemon juice, crispy fried bacon pieces, fresh herbs and sour cream in the rice?
That would really go nicely alongside the chicken. If you are serving a highly spiced or seasoned piece of meat or fish, keep the rice salad simple. In fact, the more flavors you have in the meat or fish, the simpler the rice salad needs to be.
Stir a little mayonnaise, a pinch each of salt and pepper and some finely chopped cooked mushrooms or zucchini in the rice, for example.
That would very simple and ensure the salad is not going to overpower or clash with the meat.
My Rice Salad Recipe
The point of this recipe is to give you a starting point. When finding out how to make rice salad you will want to make something basic and then tweak future recipes to your own taste and experiment if you wish. If you want to stir cooked chopped chicken or seafood into the cooled rice, go for it. Add capers if you like, or olives.
How do you make rice yellow, you might be wondering. That is simple. If you want your rice yellow not white, then add a pinch of turmeric to it before you add the boiling water. Saffron would also work but it’s expensive!
Omit the vegetables if you like, and add fruit instead. Make this rice salad your way, to inject your own personality and palate into it. It’s so easy. You can’t go wrong!
How to Cook Rice for Rice Salad Recipes
So how to make rice salad is about more than simply combining cooked rice with veggies and a dressing. To make a rice salad, you need to cook the rice until it is tender (simmer one part white rice in two parts salted water) and make sure you drain it well.
Different types of rice have different cooking times, so check the instructions on the package. If there are no instructions then use your judgment. You can tell when the rice is tender by tasting a little.
- Handful of uncooked white rice
- Mayonnaise, as needed
- Boiling water to cook the rice (enough to cover the rice by a couple inches)
- Finely chopped vegetables (eg broccoli mushrooms onion celery zucchini)
- ¼ cup (110g) grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- A few walnut halves or cashews
- Salt and black pepper
- Cook the rice following the instructions on the package, adding the finely chopped vegetables 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Drain well and let it cool.
- Stir in the mayonnaise (the amount depends how creamy you want it, so add a tablespoon at a time until it's just right).
- Stir in the cheese, nuts, herbs and a pinch each of salt and black pepper.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
How to Make Rice Salad: What Type of Rice to Use
Sushi rice would be good in an Asian style rice salad. Brown rice would provide a nutty base for a healthy rice salad.
Or try mixing your rice with quinoa or another grain, or even adding some wild rice to the mix. Store it in the refrigerator overnight and you can use it the next day to make some tasty buffet recipes.
Image Credit: RexRoof, on Flickr
For the dressing, you can add sour cream, mayonnaise, vinaigrette, or any salad dressing you like. Feel free to combine mayonnaise with lemon juice, curry powder or mayonnaise for a tangy and delicious dressing.
How to Make Rice Salad: Savory Rice Salad Recipe Ideas
Mix the cooled rice with mayonnaise, sour cream, heavy cream or a combination of these. Rice will be too dry if you do not add some kind of dressing. Use a fork or tablespoon to mix it in. Stir in a little at a time, adding more if necessary. If you do not add enough the rice will be dry. Adding too much will give you a gloopy mess, so take care you add the right amount.
Add a little salt and black pepper too, if needed. Perhaps some chilli powder would also be tasty, or some red pepper flakes.
Rice Salad Ideas
Add cashews and your favorite crumbled or grated cheese for an exciting, tasty dish. Add chopped beets, pineapple and peas for something with plenty of color. Add Cheddar, ham or tuna, and some peas for a retro rice salad. Add drained, canned crab and chopped anchovies or baby shrimp for a fishy one.
As well as the mayonnaise you might wish to stir in tomato concentrate, mustard or curry powder. If you are making a seafood or fish based salad, add some tomato concentrate stirred into a base of mayonnaise, and you can also throw in a couple drops of Worcestershire sauce and perhaps some Tabasco if you want to add some heat.
Whenever you make rice salad recipes using bold flavors like blue cheese and walnuts, or 2 kinds of fish or seafood for example, just use the mayo to keep the dressing flavor simple. If you are using chopped turkey and sultanas or beef and fried onions, feel free to include a pinch of curry powder to set off these amazing flavors and create a well balanced, stylish dish. Knowing how to make rice salad means you can try any of these tasty variations.
The key to making a winning rice salad is to be imaginative, thinking about combining colors and textures, as well as of course flavors.
Add finely chopped veggies or some fruit or chicken, shrimp, or whatever you like, and the chill the rice salad in the refrigerator to get your rice salad recipe cold. Taste it and check the flavors are balanced, then serve this delicious dish.
Photo by: Giffconstable, on Flickr
How to Make Rice Salad: Fruity Rice Salads
Yes rice pudding is a well-known dessert. However, it is possible to serve a sweet rice salad recipe on the buffet table alongside the savory foods. Using a fork or tablespoon, mix together your cold cooked rice with sour cream or mayo, then add some raw, baked or stewed chopped fruit and see what an amazing rice side dish that makes.
Try grapes, apples, banana, plums, raspberry, peach, strawberry, or several of these. Go exotic with mango, papaya and coconut, or keep things simple using apple and banana. Bright red fruits look attractive too.
You can use half mayo and half sour cream for a balanced flavor. Adding allspice, nutmeg or cinnamon brings out the fruitiness. Perhaps you would also like to add walnuts, cashews or a handful of peanuts to this fruit rice salad side dish recipe.
We All Love a Good Rice Salad
Oh yes, rice salad has been popular at buffets for over 50 years and it is not disappearing from our hearts just yet. Rice salad is always a fail-proof choice if you wish to make something economical and easy, yet tasty and impressive for everyone. Rice is filling and there are endless possibilities when making a rice salad recipe. The fact that you can make it ahead is another plus.
Making the Best Rice Salad for a Party
Discover how to make rice salad and cater easily for a party, even making big batches of it. Rice salad is one of the most popular dishes at a buffet and the dish is guaranteed to be finished. Even if it is not finished you can store it for a few days in the refrigerator. It will keep for a while, so just set out as much as you think people will eat and keep the rest in the refrigerator in case it is needed.
If you let the whole batch become warm you might have to toss it out after the party, since mayonnaise or cream dishes should not be left in warm conditions for too long. Cook a good amount of rice hours before your party, or preferable the day before. Then you will be able to divide it up and make various rice salad recipes, not just one. Rice costs very little so if you want to make party food which will not cost too much, ensure you have a big batch of rice salad. It is tasty, filling and always a hit at parties.
How to Make Rice Salad Like a Pro: Let the Rice Cool Down
Rice salad can be served chilled or at room temperature but not warm else it becomes a pilaf. Choose your own preferred serving temperature. Some people do like their rice salads chilled well and others like the way that having them warm brings out the subtle flavors in the recipe, so it is up to you.
Rice salad should not be left sitting around at room temperature for too long though, especially if you have added cream or mayonnaise, so take this into account when planning yours.
Photo Credit: Rooey, on Flickr
How to Serve Rice Salad
The most popular way to serve this dish is from a big salad bowl, offering a ladle or similar so that people can serve themselves. If you are serving it as an appetizer or as part of a main dish then you can fill small cups with the rice salad mixture, use a flat wide knife to level it off, and tip it out on to a serving plate. It will keep its shape.
Make sure you stuff as much rice salad as possible in the cup before turning it out on to the serving plate, to ensure it holds it shape. When sliding it out, hit it firmly on the plate so it slides out and stays cup-shaped. This looks excellent and adds a gourmet touch to dinner, so it is worth doing. Another option is to serve your fried chicken or steak on top of a bed of rice salad, or next to it.
So then you can add a handful of mixed green salad leaves to the dish and you have a complete meal. Rice salad is a key dish because it always makes a wonderful side dish and you can make a lot of it if you are preparing food for a buffet. Learning how to make rice salad means you will be able to prepare this tasty dish any time you choose.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Amethyst Engagement Rings | 10 of the Most BeautifulAmethyst is a beautiful stone and a great choice for an engagement ring. I’ve found 10 stunning amethyst engagement rings which you are free to drool over! Not everyone wants a classic diamond solitaire. Some women prefer something more unique, which resonates with their personality more than a classic diamond. If you find amethyst magical, mystical or just beautiful consider amethyst engagement ring ideas and see which style resonates with what you personally love. Amethyst is usually a purple color but you can also get a green variety which is even more unusual. You can pair amethyst with white, yellow or rose gold, or even silver or .....
- Dairy Free Cantaloupe and Prawn StarterThis dairy free cantaloupe and prawn starter recipe is also nut free and soy free, as well as dairy free. The delicious prawn salad is served inside a cantaloupe melon, making this a very attractive starter recipe as well as a delicious one. You can either cut the cantaloupe melons into wedges and serve them with the salad or use this recipe as the centrepieces for a buffet table. This is a colorful and appetizing starter recipe. Cantaloupe and Prawn Starter: Tweaks You Can Make You don’t have to use the melon at all for this seafood starter recipe if you don’t want to and a bed of salad leaves is fine instead. Use baby spinach, .....
- Simple Chicken Enchilada RecipeI love Mexican and Tex-Mex food and enchiladas are right up there with my absolute favorites, so when I first made this simple chicken enchilada recipe, I was hoping for a good result, and I got it! The resulting enchiladas were really good, and the flavors were amazing. I hope you like them as much as we all did. Enchiladas are made by rolling corn tortillas around your chosen filling and then adding a spicy sauce and usually cheese on top. You can fiddle about with this recipe as much as you want because it would be hard to mess it up. Just add your favorite ingredients to the filling and top with your favorite toppings, using as many or .....
- How to Make Mulled WineMulled wine is a hot beverage which is popular during the chillier months. This red wine-based cocktail is really flavorful and you will be able to taste the spices and fruit which go into it. Once you know how to make mulled wine you will often want to prepare it for chilly fall and winter evenings. Our recipe is made with apple cider or juice, red wine and other flavorings. It is actually tastier the day after you make it and even more so the following day if you have any left by then! Mulled wine is nice served in clear mugs so you can see the lovely color, and you can decorate the glasses with some orange zest or orange slices. How to .....
- Tasty Taco Salad in Tortilla BowlsAs much as I love salad (and I really do!) I do find myself getting bored with the same old salad recipes over and over, which is why finding a new recipe or learning a new salad tip or trick is always so great. Take this taco salad for example. Not only can you expect the flavorful flavors of Mexico, but you also get a crunchy taco bowl to serve the salad in. I love to present my taco salad in tortilla bowls because it looks so impressive but is actually easy! Tortilla bowls are very easy to make and you can do them in the oven. Use cooking spray and you add only a few calories to the tortillas themselves. You can serve any kind of salad in .....
- Tom Kha Gai Soup Recipe | Quick and EasyThis delicious Thai tom kha gai soup recipe is made with 10 ingredients only plus a few optional extras for serving. We are using chicken and mushrooms to make this, along with typical Thai ingredients like galangal, lemongrass, lime, coriander, coconut, fish sauce and palm sugar to make it. This is a tasty, filling Thai chicken soup recipe and it’s also therapeutic if you’re under the weather or suffering from a cold or the flu. The chicken and vegetables are nourishing while the steam from the soup helps with decongestion. As for the garnish, we like to present this traditional tom kha gai soup recipe with cilantro, chilies, .....
- Potato Leek Soup with BaconThis warm and delicious potato leek soup with bacon recipe makes a wonderful starter. The ingredients are very simple, and the main flavors come from the potatoes, leeks and bacon. The milk and cream add a wonderful, luxurious creaminess and the chicken stock gives the soup a good flavor. What Kind of Stock to Use for Potato Leek Soup with Bacon You could use vegetable stock if you wanted to but the best thing to use is fresh chicken stock rather than using stock cubes. Choose lean bacon for making this leek potato soup recipe, rather than streaky bacon, both for the better texture and a meatier flavor. Some More Hot Content For You Easy .....
- 12 Crockpot Recipes for Weight LossThe following crockpot recipes for weight loss are perfect for making in a slow cooker. One of the benefits to using a crockpot is you can tip the ingredients in there in the morning, then go to work or out for the day. When you get home your meal will be ready! This mean you don’t have to stand over the stove, nibbling on snacks you shouldn’t be having, but you can eat your healthy meal right away. A crockpot, also known as a slow cooker, is an electrical appliance used to gently simmer food. The temperature is kept low so your food slowly cooks over a period of hours. A basic model should have a low and a high setting while others might .....
- Walden Farms Calorie-Free Food ReviewFlavorful Items to Complement Your Diet This calorie free food is for anyone looking for items which do not contain calories, carbohydrates, fat or sugar. Doesn’t that sound exciting! Their range includes fruit spreads, regular and flavored mayo, pouring syrups, salad dressings, pasta sauces, whipped peanut spreads, dips for chips or fruit, condiments, and more. Carb-Free Too These products contain no carbs either, so you can enjoy as much as you want. But what do these calorie free food products actually taste like? I have bought a selection of them recently, to try them out for myself, and I have to say some are better than others. .....
- Spinach Potato Knishes – Jewish Comfort FoodI first tried spinach potato knishes (pronounced kuh-NISH-es) at Kenny and Ziggy’s in Houston TX, and wow was this some spectacular comfort food. I’m British so I am used to Cornish pasties (a tasty pastry-enclosed meat and potato recipe from the southwest corner of England) and I also enjoy pastry-wrapped or pastry-enclosed vegetable recipes for lunch or as snacks. What are knishes, I asked myself, perusing the menu. Google to the rescue and I read the description. My mouth began to water and I thought wow I have to order these! So, now you’re asking what are knishes exactly? Well this tasty Jewish recipe is a savory pie. .....