Indian Pasta Salad with Chicken
Pasta is not the first ingredient that should come to mind when you think about Indian cuisine because of course it is an Italian ingredient. However that is the beauty of fusion cooking. This Indian pasta salad offers some exciting flavors, all of which go together nicely. When combined they offer an exotic flair in what would otherwise just be a basic pasta salad.
You can find all kinds of ingredients in this Indian pasta salad which come together wonderfully. The neutral flavor of pasta along with its firm al dente texture means a spicy, aromatic dressing is sure to suit it instead of clashing. In the following recipe we are teaming our pasta and chicken breast with a fragrant Indian inspired dressing.
Taking inspiration from the classic English Coronation chicken recipe, this salad boasts plenty of exotic flair. Learn more about how British Indian cuisine began and grew and you will soon see how such dishes gained such popularity in the UK.
Serving Tips and Tweak Ideas for Indian Pasta Salad
This Indian pasta salad pairs well with a bunch or red grapes. Alternatively you could serve it over a bed of lettuce, or even just as it is for a ‘lunch in a rush’ at your desk. Feel free to tweak the ingredients. Perhaps you prefer to use turkey (or have some left over) instead of chicken. Maybe you’d like to swap the celery for green bell pepper or the slivered almonds for cashews.
You might want to use fat-free mayonnaise or even Greek yogurt instead of half the cream in this Indian pasta salad. Any of these tweaks is fine. Try swapping the sugar for ½ tablespoon of mango chutney if you have some, or throw in a pinch of chili powder to ramp up the heat. Use mild curry powder if you want a mild taste, or choose the medium or hot kind instead if you prefer.
When to Serve Indian Pasta Salad
You will find this Indian pasta salad to be wonderful for any occasion, whether you are looking for potluck salad recipes, something tasty to take along to a picnic, a nice dish to serve for lunch with bread and maybe some kind of baby leaf salad, or simply a deliciously different buffet dish.
If you’re looking for something more classic, Italian rather than fusion, you might like to compare this recipe with our pasta salad and parmesan cheese recipe.
Warm or Cold, Indian Pasta Salad is Always Good
I like to enjoy this Indian pasta salad warm but it’s also good cold. Another benefit of refrigerating it means all the flavors and ingredients are given time to mellow and combine, and the end flavor will be better. I usually can’t resist a couple mouthfuls while it’s still warm though, just because it is so tasty!
Let the chicken cool down enough to shred it though, else you might burn your fingers. Similarly the pasta needs to cool down before you stir in the creamy ingredients so the dressing doesn’t separate.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 oz (170g) uncooked pasta shells
- 4 thinly sliced celery ribs
- ½ cup (125 ml) sour cream
- ½ cup (125g) mayonnaise
- 1 cup (250 ml) heavy cream
- ¾ cup (75g) slivered almonds
- ¾ tablespoon white sugar, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- ¾ (120g) cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Simmer the chicken in water until it is cooked through, then drain it.
- Boil the pasta in the chicken-cooking water until al dente then drain it.
- Use a pair of forks to shred the chicken when it is cool enough to handle.
- Alternatively you can dice it with a sharp knife.
- Combine the other ingredients to make the dressing.
- Combine the pasta and chicken, then stir in the dressing.
- Use a silicon spatula or wooden spoon to get everything combined.
- Taste the salad and ensure it is sweet/savory/spicy enough and the balance is good.
- If not, add a little more of whatever it needs.
- Chill the salad for a few hours before serving.
Photo by: Audreys6, on Flickr
Some More Hot Content For You
- Risotto Stuffed SquidThis Italian-inspired risotto stuffed squid recipe makes a delicious dinner and it is impressive enough to serve at a dinner party. Calamari is often battered and deep-fried but in this recipe it is stuffed with tasty risotto and cooked on the grill or griddle, then served in slices for a beautiful presentation. What Kind of Squid to Use for Risotto Stuffed Squid You can use whatever size squid you like. Use smallish ones (the width of your palm) and each person can eat 2 or even 3, or use larger ones and 1 per person should be sufficient. The size of the squid affects the cooking time (bigger squid take longer to become tender) but not the .....
- Micro Sim CutterFirst of all, what is a micro sim cutter? If you already have a sim-card then you might find your new phone will only accept a nano or micro sim size. So how do you trim your card to make it fit? Obviously making a mistake is going to make it pretty much useless. The answer is to invest in one of these cutters and cut your new sim easily and quickly. A good cutter will have adapters to transform your micro sim back to a regular size if you need to use it in a phone which takes that size. Some More Hot Content For You Bling Bling iPad Cases Handy Electric Cookware Reviews How to Make Vegetable Quiche Decadent Chocolate Walnut Cake IHOP .....
- White Food Recipes for After Teeth WhiteningHaving your teeth professionally whitened is the best way to get that gorgeous pearly shade without breaking the bank on veneers or another expensive treatment. The process itself is usually painless although your teeth might be a little sensitive afterwards. You will need white food recipes for after teeth whitening for a couple of days. Even though it’s possible to fashion a menu from the list of ‘allowed’ white foods it’s helpful to have some fresh ideas to keep things interesting! Read on to learn what you can eat after teeth whitening, what you must avoid after teeth whitening, and some more teeth whitening .....
- Greek Stuffed Squid with Parsley and White WineKnown all over the world, this wonderful Greek take on stuffed squid is a surefire way to anyone’s heart. Greek stuffed squid with parsley will win its way to anyone’s heart. Want to impress someone? Easy! Just make this! Who else cooks seafood with as much passion or commitment as the Greeks? Greek stuffed squid with parsley is sure to be a hit. Well, perhaps other Mediterranean countries too, but this recipe is one of the nicest, and all the passion of the Greeks goes into selecting and preparing the ingredients, and the result is something you can call ‘gourmet’ and is definitely both well-balanced and highly .....
- Traditional English Ploughman’s LunchA ploughman’s lunch is a wonderful treat, best enjoyed in the beer garden of an old country pub, with a cold pint of cider or real ale. You can order a traditional English ploughman’s lunch in many English pubs, and you’ll never be disappointed. Dating back to the 1930s, a traditional English ploughman’s lunch is comprised of crusty bread and butter, English cheese, pickled onions, pickles and chutney, and it might also include ham, apple, radishes, hard-boiled eggs or Scotch eggs, celery, cherry tomatoes, and other cold ingredients. Now you know why a traditional English ploughman’s lunch is so good. Farm .....
- Different Kinds of Starter RecipesThere are many different kinds of starter recipes, ranging from basic two or three ingredient combinations which you can put together in one minute flat, to the more elaborate and gourmet style dishes which are a mixture of many ingredients and take a long time to create. There are different dishes for different occasions and you should always match the type of food you serve with the people who are going to be eating it and the type of occasion itself. Old Favorites and Classic Starters There is nothing wrong with sticking to tried and tested recipes if you aren’t sure what to make. There are many kinds of starter recipes to choose .....
- Why White Noise Helps You SleepSome people find it hard to fall asleep without a fan whirring while others find the sound of a blow dryer or washing machine soothing. But how come making more noise can help with sleep? Isn’t a silent room the most conducive to getting a good night’s rest? Actually that isn’t always the case, and some people even buy white noise machines or download white noise apps to ensure they get to sleep quickly and easily, and stay asleep until morning. A lot of people have hear it works but don’t know exactly why white noise helps you sleep. What is White Noise? This consistent sound comes out across all audible frequencies .....
- All the Facts about Healthy Juicing RecipesIt is a fact that we are becoming more and more concerned about what we put into our bodies, the more we get to know about health issues. We are what we eat (and drink!) and we know that cooking often damages nutrients and kills healthy enzymes. This is why healthy juicing recipes are all the rage these days. However, eating raw fruit and vegetables is not always an appetizing prospect, which is one reason healthy juicing recipes are becoming so popular. Do you really want to sit down and eat a handful of raw kale, 2 apples, a raw beet and 2 carrots, or would you prefer to whiz these ingredients up and make a nutrient-rich drink which tastes .....
- Classic Cajun Food and 4 Cajun RecipesThere are not many exact recipes in Cajun cooking, because most of it is done to taste not to measurements, and the same dish can be prepared a different way each time, even by the same chef. This is because Cajun cuisine is an art form and the result of the dish depends on the mood of the chef as well as what happens to be in the refrigerator and cupboards. This means creating classic Cajun food is largely about getting a ‘feel’ for the ingredients and flavors. Although there are plenty of adaptations and tweaks you can make when making classic Cajun food, if you do want to follow a recipe it can be hard to find the right .....
- Marsala Chicken with AsparagusMarsala chicken is a tasty Italian dish which you can find not only in the best Italian restaurants but also in your very own kitchen if you choose to follow this marsala chicken with asparagus recipe. This marsala chicken with asparagus dish is made with chicken thighs which offer more flavor than breast, and are also juicier and more succulent. Chicken thighs are harder to overcook and dry out than chicken breast. Leek, fennel and asparagus make up the vegetable content of the dish. As well as the chicken and veggies, this Italian Marsala chicken recipe features lemon juice, Marsala wine and parsley, to bring out all the delicious flavors .....