Tasty Taco Salad in Tortilla Bowls
As much as I love salad (and I really do!) I do find myself getting bored with the same old salad recipes over and over, which is why finding a new recipe or learning a new salad tip or trick is always so great. Take this taco salad for example. Not only can you expect the flavorful flavors of Mexico, but you also get a crunchy taco bowl to serve the salad in. I love to present my taco salad in tortilla bowls because it looks so impressive but is actually easy!
Tortilla bowls are very easy to make and you can do them in the oven. Use cooking spray and you add only a few calories to the tortillas themselves. You can serve any kind of salad in these tortilla bowls but Mexican or Tex-Mex ones are the obvious choices.
Feel free to tweak the recipe, changing any ingredients you want. All kinds of things work when making salad, so go for plenty of flavor add texture in there, and create a real masterpiece for everyone at the table to enjoy. This easy taco salad recipe has a gourmet look because of the tortilla bowl, making it a candidate for a dinner party.
What are you going to put in your taco salad in tortilla bowls? Well, good ingredients to use for your taco salad include lettuce and tomatoes, which are staples, Then you have black olives or black beans and shredded or grated cheese for a splash of color, then also consider something crunchy like pumpkin seeds. Shredded pork, beef or chicken, or some shrimp works well in the salad, or simply make it vegetarian. Garnish the taco salad in tortilla bowls with cilantro sprigs.
Can You Make Tortilla Bowls Ahead?
Yes you can! If you want to make the tortilla bowls in advance, do so, then put them in a Ziploc bag or airtight container for up to 2 days. The following recipe makes 6 so you can halve it if you want, or else just make all 6. Any used tortilla bowls can be broken into ‘chips’ and served with a dip. You’re going to love this taco salad in tortilla bowls!
- 6 burrito-sized flour tortillas
- ⅓ cup (60g) grated cheese
- 6 cups (300g) mixed salad leaves
- 1 chopped green onion
- ⅔ cup (120g) shredded cheese
- 7 oz (200g) can drained, rinsed black beans
- 2 diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup creamy dressing (your choice), to serve
- Avocado slices rubbed with lime juice
- Sliced black or green olives
- Pumpkin seeds
- Roasted peppers
- Shredded meat
- Cooked ground beef or pork
- Crispy crumbled bacon
- Anything else you fancy!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Spritz the inside of 6 oven-proof bowls with cooking spray then press a tortilla inside each one.
- Put the bowls on baking sheets and bake for 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle a little cheese in each one then return to the oven for another 2 or 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool the tortillas in the bowls for 5 minutes then transfer them to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Fill them with salad leaves, green onion, cheese, black beans, and tomatoes.
- Add any other ingredients you want, then garnish with cilantro sprigs if liked.
- Serve with a creamy avocado dressing, ranch dressing or any other dressing you want.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Wonton Making SuppliesSo what exactly do you need for making wontons? Well, wonton wrappers (also known as wonton skins or wonton papers) are crucial. Unless you decide to make your own of course! You will need some wonton making supplies in order to make delicious wontons. You will also need your chosen ingredients for the filling and that might be anything from minced pork, beef or chicken to cheese, vegetables or, if you want to make dessert wontons, chocolate, caramel, bananas, apple and other goodies. Wonton wrappers have a neutral flavor so they are equally well suited to spicy, mild or even sweet fillings. Some More Hot Content For You Easy Cream Cheese .....
- Top Tips for Gorgeous FoodStarters are supposed to make people want to tuck into them, so choosing a nice garnish as well as the best recipes is important. Learn some top tips for gorgeous food and find out how to present the most gorgeous looking dishes imaginable. You can even serve something basic like raw broccoli and carrot pieces with a dip in style. Make sure you only use perfect crudites and make them all the same size. Present the dip in a nice bowl and arrange the crudites around the outside. You can make any meal look good, even if it is something quite plain and not colorful. That’s what tips for gorgeous food are all about. Take meatballs for .....
- A Delicious Recipe for Braised Stuffed CalamariThe braised stuffed calamari in this recipe sure looks good. Breadcrumbs, olives, capers, garlic, parsley and more are combined for a tasty filling for your squid. Laura Vitale talks you through everything you need for the recipe and then shows you how to prepare your ingredients to make the filling. I liked this braised stuffed calamari video because I found it very easy to follow and I love the resulting stuffed squid. I think it looks great! And also because this is so similar to the way I usually make my own squid so Laura Vitale is on to a winner here. Just watch the video through and then as soon as it finishes you will wish to .....
- Gorgeous Mystic Topaz RingsAlso known as rainbow topaz, mystic topaz is a semi-precious gemstone. It has a high hardness and refractive index as well as not being sensitive to chemicals. This means it is a good stone to make jewelry and will last for many years. Invest in mystic topaz rings and you’ll have something you want to wear all the time. What is Mystical About It? Mystic topaz is colorless topaz which has been enhanced with a hi-tech process to give a rainbow effect. The better the original stone used, the better the end result will be, and this means the quality, polish and cut. So if you start with a high quality colorless stone you will end up with a .....
- Prada Infusion d’Iris Perfume ReviewThis Prada Infusion d’Iris perfume scent has been around since 2007 if you are wondering what year it came out, and this is a beautiful fragrance. Read on for some links to discount Prada Milano if you want to buy some of this gorgeous perfume for yourself or a friend. How Prada Infusion d’Iris Perfume Smells You will be able to smell orange as well as orange blossom, mandarin and galbanum and then iris, vetiver and cedar come in afterwards. This delicious fragrance is held in a delicate glass vessel which has a retro look and feel about it. If you haven’t been able to get Prada Infusion d’Iris out of your head it is .....
- Very Easy Starter RecipesThere are easy starter recipes, or appetizers, for every season and occasion – something for every palate and every diet. So what are you going to make for your starter recipe? You might already be considering meat, fish, international appetizers or something else, or you might just be looking for some ideas and inspiration. There are lots of different easy starter recipes which are suitable for everyone from beginner cooks right up to seasoned chefs. If you want some tips on making the best easy starter recipes for any event, have a look at our articles or if you already have some idea of what you want to make you can browse our .....
- Fried Shrimp Wontons with Water ChestnutsShrimp or prawns are a very popular wonton filling and who can resist a wonton appetizer recipe – crisp wontons stuffed with a juicy shrimp and water chestnut mixture? The following easy fried shrimp wontons with water chestnuts recipe shows you how to make gorgeous little dumplings which taste amazing. Replace the sugar with sweetener if you prefer, or just leave it out. You can make these fried shrimp wontons with water chestnuts as sweet or otherwise as you personally prefer. A touch of sweetness in a wonton recipe appeals to a lot of people but not to everyone. The other flavors – the sesame oil, ginger, chili and soy sauce – also .....
- Pears with Stilton and Curd Cheese RecipeDoesn’t the name of the recipe get your mouth watering already? Pears with Stilton and curd cheese – yum! Pears are often served with cheese because the flavors are so good together and in this recipe, both Stilton cheese and curd cheese are used. The yogurt and nutmeg add color, texture and flavor, and this is one of the best vegetarian starter recipes. What is Stilton Like? Stilton is an acquired taste to some people, especially if they are usually only found eating cheddar and the like, but it really is good. Stilton is a British blue cheese and it offers a lovely creaminess and slight salty taste. It’s particularly good .....
- Baked Stuffed Zucchini BoatsLow in calories but high in flavor, this wonderful baked stuffed zucchini boats recipe is sure to please your palate. The middles of the zucchini are scooped out and then you can add a wonderful ham and cheese filling, and bake them to perfection. This is a very easy baked stuffed zucchini boats recipe which is nice served with Spanish rice or risotto, and just as nice served alone as a savory snack. If you want to make this dish vegetarian friendly, simply omit the ham, or else you might like to swap it for shrimp, salmon, walnuts, or pretty much anything else. Tweak the Filling to Make It Your Own The main ingredients in this baked stuffed .....
- Spinach Potato Knishes – Jewish Comfort FoodI first tried spinach potato knishes (pronounced kuh-NISH-es) at Kenny and Ziggy’s in Houston TX, and wow was this some spectacular comfort food. I’m British so I am used to Cornish pasties (a tasty pastry-enclosed meat and potato recipe from the southwest corner of England) and I also enjoy pastry-wrapped or pastry-enclosed vegetable recipes for lunch or as snacks. What are knishes, I asked myself, perusing the menu. Google to the rescue and I read the description. My mouth began to water and I thought wow I have to order these! So, now you’re asking what are knishes exactly? Well this tasty Jewish recipe is a savory pie. .....