Tasty Taco Salad in Tortilla Bowls
As much as I love salad (and I really do!) I do find myself getting bored with the same old salad recipes over and over, which is why finding a new recipe or learning a new salad tip or trick is always so great. Take this taco salad for example. Not only can you expect the flavorful flavors of Mexico, but you also get a crunchy taco bowl to serve the salad in. I love to present my taco salad in tortilla bowls because it looks so impressive but is actually easy!
Tortilla bowls are very easy to make and you can do them in the oven. Use cooking spray and you add only a few calories to the tortillas themselves. You can serve any kind of salad in these tortilla bowls but Mexican or Tex-Mex ones are the obvious choices.
Feel free to tweak the recipe, changing any ingredients you want. All kinds of things work when making salad, so go for plenty of flavor add texture in there, and create a real masterpiece for everyone at the table to enjoy. This easy taco salad recipe has a gourmet look because of the tortilla bowl, making it a candidate for a dinner party.
What are you going to put in your taco salad in tortilla bowls? Well, good ingredients to use for your taco salad include lettuce and tomatoes, which are staples, Then you have black olives or black beans and shredded or grated cheese for a splash of color, then also consider something crunchy like pumpkin seeds. Shredded pork, beef or chicken, or some shrimp works well in the salad, or simply make it vegetarian. Garnish the taco salad in tortilla bowls with cilantro sprigs.
Can You Make Tortilla Bowls Ahead?
Yes you can! If you want to make the tortilla bowls in advance, do so, then put them in a Ziploc bag or airtight container for up to 2 days. The following recipe makes 6 so you can halve it if you want, or else just make all 6. Any used tortilla bowls can be broken into ‘chips’ and served with a dip. You’re going to love this taco salad in tortilla bowls!
- 6 burrito-sized flour tortillas
- ⅓ cup (60g) grated cheese
- 6 cups (300g) mixed salad leaves
- 1 chopped green onion
- ⅔ cup (120g) shredded cheese
- 7 oz (200g) can drained, rinsed black beans
- 2 diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup creamy dressing (your choice), to serve
- Avocado slices rubbed with lime juice
- Sliced black or green olives
- Pumpkin seeds
- Roasted peppers
- Shredded meat
- Cooked ground beef or pork
- Crispy crumbled bacon
- Anything else you fancy!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Spritz the inside of 6 oven-proof bowls with cooking spray then press a tortilla inside each one.
- Put the bowls on baking sheets and bake for 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle a little cheese in each one then return to the oven for another 2 or 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool the tortillas in the bowls for 5 minutes then transfer them to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Fill them with salad leaves, green onion, cheese, black beans, and tomatoes.
- Add any other ingredients you want, then garnish with cilantro sprigs if liked.
- Serve with a creamy avocado dressing, ranch dressing or any other dressing you want.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Beef and Avocado Wrap with Horseradish DressingIf you are looking for brand new lunch ideas, this beef and avocado wrap is certainly deserving of your consideration. Teaming juicy roast beef with fresh avocado and a homemade horseradish dressing, this is just so good. I had some deli beef and a tortilla in the refrigerator and decided to make a horseradish dressing rather than just spooning in some of the horseradish sauce. I also had half an avocado left over from some tortilla pizzas I made last night, so threw that in there too. The resulting beef and avocado wrap sandwich was amazing and I immediately went out and made another! Variations and Tweaks for a Beef and Avocado Wrap You .....
- Alpine and German Weather HousesFirst things first… what on Earth is a weather house and why would you use German weather houses? Well, a weather house is a little house in the shape of a Swiss or German chalet, and it is used to indicate the weather. Usually there are 2 side-by-side doors, with a girl in the left one and a boy in the right one. If the weather is supposed to be dry and sunny the girl comes out. If it’s going to be rainy the boy comes out. The boy/girl might be young or they might be man/woman figures depending on the design of the weather house itself. Alpine and German weather houses are all different so you can choose exactly what you prefer. .....
- Elegant Squid with Pistachio and LemonThis recipe is a little unusual, at least more unusual than most stuffed squid recipes. Not only does it look delicious but the tangy chili sauce is the perfect partner for the tender seafood, another great reason to prepare this fantastic dish. Squid with pistachio might be hard to imagine but believe me, it’s the stuff of dreams! The squid is stuffed with a pistachio and lemon infused brown rice which is really filling, and the sauce can be served on the side, like you see in the picture, or you can drizzle it over the plates and arrange the squid slices on top, as you wish. If you want to change this recipe a bit you can use fresh .....
- How Many Calories in WineA lot of people dieting know how many calories are in food, or at least they have some idea and then find out the rest, so they can keep a record, but how about calories in wine because those count just as much. Wine drinkers might be surprised how many calories are in their favorite tipple. In fact, if you drink wine it’s vital to know. So, how many calories in wine exactly? Although most wines are less than 100 calories a glass that is not always the case and of course it depends on the serving size. Wine is lower in calories than a lot of other alcoholic drinks, with Sauvignon Blanc and Zinfandel at less than 80 calories a serving. .....
- Lebanese Lamb MeatballsI love this Lebanese lamb meatballs recipe. I’ve only made the meatballs once so far but it’s something I’m definitely going to make again! These Lebanese lamb meatballs boast plenty of herbs in the form of parsley and mint. You might be surprised at the amount of herbs in these meatballs but, believe me, the combination works really well. Ground lamb is something I don’t use that often, just because the only place I can get it where I live is the Cash and Carry and that’s not somewhere I go much, but when I do use it I like to make something special, perhaps some comfort food like shepherd’s pie, or else .....
- Aromatic Crab Cakes RecipeThis lovely crab cakes recipe makes a great starter or lunch and you can imagine how beautiful they smell while they are cooking. Everyone wants to know how to make the best crab cakes and this recipe will show you how easy it is to make this popular dish. Exciting Ingredients The crab cakes recipe includes potato, flour and eggs, which are basil ingredients and used to give the crab cakes the right consistency, as well as aromatic ingredients such as chilies, lime and fresh coriander. The flavor is really nice, and you are sure to appreciate they have a wonderful homemade charm. Yes could can buy crab cakes in the supermarket but they will .....
- Bathroom Accessories to Jazz Up Your BathroomBathroom accessories can make a huge difference to the look and feel of your bathroom, and can be surprisingly cheap. Once the essential pieces are in place in there, you can begin the enjoyable task of accessorizing. With a small budget and a boundless imagination, you will be amazed how straightforward it is to liven up your bathroom. Choosing the Right Bathroom Accessories for Your Style There is a huge array of different cheap accessories available; however, you need to ensure that you choose the right ones for your style so you are completely happy with them. Bathrooms are an essential room in every home so you need to get the look and .....
- Chilled Cherry Soup RecipeThe following chilled cherry soup recipe features lemon and cinnamon to highlight the wonderful cherry flavor and lend a gourmet touch to this soup, while the flour thickens it up a bit and the sour cream adds a nice tang. A Starter or a Dessert This chilled cherry soup recipe would be excellent served as a starter recipe or for dessert, whichever you like. It is light enough not to fill people too much before their main course, which is always something you want from starters. What is the point of filling people up so much they don’t want their main course! You won’t have that problem here. The chilled cherry soup recipe is .....
- Quick Thai Green Curry with ChickenThai curries are fragrant and aromatic, and this quick Thai green curry with chicken is no exception. Even though it can be on the table in under half an hour, the flavor is authentic and wonderful. You are not going to be missing anything by making a speedy curry over one that has to be cooked for longer, or takes longer to make. Quick Thai Green Curry with Chicken: Such Great Flavors The following quick Thai green curry with chicken dish is based on chicken breasts and green curry paste, and it also features garlic, ginger and lime juice for aromatic flavor, mushrooms and mushroom soup. Although Thai curry is usually made with coconut .....
- Superb Summer Dessert IdeasSummer is a great time for refreshing and fruit-based desserts and other tempting, light summer dessert ideas. If you want to linger a bit longer at the dinner table and savor something sweet while you do it there are plenty of choices. Most of the time you will want to serve something to either cool people down or showcase the wonderful summer fruits available during the warm months of the year. A favorite summer dessert is ice cream. To make this common dish a little more special you can make it yourself. If you have an ice cream maker and a little bit of time you can create a special recipe for whatever you’re craving that day, thinking .....