Tasty Thai Tuna Salad
This Thai tuna salad is a great recipe because you can throw it together in about 10 minutes. Canned tuna is often nice in Asian recipes and I have used it in stir-fries before. This recipe adds Thai ingredients to the mix to offer an authentic Southeast Asian flavor.
There is no cooking involved in this Thai tuna salad and you can have this on the table in less than half an hour from right now, if you have all the ingredients. If not, feel free to make adaptations because there are plenty of tweaks you could make to such a versatile dish.
Thai Tuna Salad: Play with the Flavors
Maybe you would like to switch the spices. I used ground ginger because I didn’t have fresh, and you can see in the photo I also added some strawberries for color, and some strips of cucumber and bell pepper for color and crunch too. The salad has red pepper flakes and you can add more if you want a little spice, or even a little cayenne pepper or a a teaspoon or 2 of finely diced red chili pepper. I like to up the shallot amount too, so you could do that if you want the extra piquancy. Red onion would also work.
How to Serve Thai Tuna Salad
This is nice served on a bed of salad leaves. I like Romaine or iceberg, or sometimes the softer lettuce like butter lettuce works well too. Another idea is to forget the lettuce and serve some chips with the salad. If you want to make it as an appetizer, this recipe will serve 4 not 2.
It is a very healthy salad and if you use sweetener instead of brown sugar this turns into a low carb option as well as a low calorie one, so make this and you will definitely enjoy it! This is a healthy recipe because it is pretty much fat-free and it is also nice and filling. You might like to enjoy it for lunch or make it for dinner. We had Thai tuna salad for dinner last night and it was really satisfying.
- 14 oz (400g) canned tuna, drained
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 2 thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar (or your favorite sweetener)
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallot
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped roasted peanuts
- Big handful of lettuce, to serve
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, plus more, for garnish
- 8 strips of red bell pepper and cucumber, for garnish (optional)
- Combine the tuna with the lime juice, fish sauce, shallot, sugar, ginger, green onion, red pepper flakes and peanuts with 2 tablespoons of cilantro in a bowl, and toss gently.
- Let the mixture stand for at least 15 minutes or up to 2 days in the refrigerator. Serve on a bed of lettuce, either chilled or at room temperature, as you prefer.
- Garnish with some more cilantro on top, and add some bell pepper strips and cucumber strips if you want.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Reliable Printers Under $100Look at these cheap and reliable printers under $100. All of them are under $100 and some under $50. A low-cost one is a great investment and you can get discounted top brands which will last for a long time. Hewlett-Packard, Epson, Canon and Brother are just some of the names to look out for. The most obvious reason to make an economical choice is that you will save money. Another good reason is that you can get just as good a one for $100 as you can for $200. Some are even cheaper than that. What Do You Need If you want an all-singing, all-dancing machine which will print photograph-quality shots, receive WiFi instructions so you can print .....
- Best Sci-Fi Movies of 2014Now that 2014 is well over half a year behind us, all the best sci-fi movies of 2014 are available on DVD, so rather than going to the cinema, why not curl up with some popcorn and a DVD this evening? I love this genre and managed to see plenty of movies last year. My husband doesn’t mind the genre but it’s me who is the real fan, so I’m going to share with you my top sci-fi movie recommendations!.....
- Octopus and Squid Stir FryLast night I decided to make seafood so I grabbed some raw squid (calamari) tubes and also 2 cooked octopus legs. I had an idea of how to cook them but wasn’t sure how to reheat the octopus without it going tough. I really wanted an octopus and squid stir fry though, so I went ahead with it. On the package it said to give it a couple of minutes in the microwave but I wasn’t keen on that idea. Instead I prepared a stir-fry type dish with the squid, then added the octopus at the end and just stirred it into the rest of the mixture until it was warmed through. It came out really well and octopus and squid stir fry is something I .....
- Best Gourmet Food Gift BasketsIf you aren’t sure what to give as a gift, then a gourmet food gift basket is a wonderful idea. Giving the gift of food never gets old. Everyone loves to eat and there are gift baskets for every budget and taste. Choose from the best gourmet food gift baskets to find the perfect one for the occasion. You can get themed gift baskets, perhaps with a range of delicious cheeses and some crackers, or you might prefer something offering nuts, cookies, preserves, wine and more, so there is definitely something for everyone in there. Best Gourmet Food Gift Baskets: Some Ideas Give a gift hamper to a family, couple or individual and personalize .....
- Japanese Beef Teriyaki RecipeThis Japanese beef teriyaki recipe is so delicious. It looks good, smells wonderful and tastes even better. Beef teriyaki is a very popular Japanese dish and can be served as a starter or as part of a main course. Serve this before your chicken or fish main course perhaps, and you can even continue the Asian theme by having a Chinese main dish. What is Teriyaki Sauce? The teriyaki sauce for this Japanese beef teriyaki recipe can be bought or made fresh, and it is a sweet, thick, dark sauce. Chicken is nice with teriyaki and beef is also good.If you like sweet, sticky sauces you will certainly like this one. It offers a typical flavor and .....
- Lancashire Hotpot with BeefThis Lancashire hotpot with beef is a wonderfully warming dinner, and it is so easy to make. Beef (or lamb) and potatoes come together with a red wine based sauce to make this hearty dish. Served with peas or another green vegetable, this makes the perfect cold weather dinner for the whole family to enjoy. Lancashire hotpot with beef leftovers warm up nicely for lunch the next day. As well as the beef and potatoes, we are using carrots (if you like) along with onion, beef stock, red wine, and some thyme to add a nice earthy, herby flavor. This is a good recipe for the cooler months when you crave something that is really going to .....
- Vegan Quinoa Salad with Garlic Lime DressingAlthough nobody ever gets tired of pasta salad or rice salad recipes, there is something so special about a vegan quinoa salad, perhaps because of its unusual texture or because it is something different to what you usually have. This salad is especially good because the quinoa is combined with a variety of tasty veggies as well as seasonings. The following vegan quinoa salad recipe shows you how to make an easy quinoa salad using this delicious grain. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is easy to cook and work with and combines well with various flavors. If you are new to using this grain, then you will enjoy the following recipe and once you .....
- Top Tips for Gorgeous FoodStarters are supposed to make people want to tuck into them, so choosing a nice garnish as well as the best recipes is important. Learn some top tips for gorgeous food and find out how to present the most gorgeous looking dishes imaginable. You can even serve something basic like raw broccoli and carrot pieces with a dip in style. Make sure you only use perfect crudites and make them all the same size. Present the dip in a nice bowl and arrange the crudites around the outside. You can make any meal look good, even if it is something quite plain and not colorful. That’s what tips for gorgeous food are all about. Take meatballs for .....
- Indoor Smoker RecipesAn indoor smoker is a wonderful buy if you want to smoke your own food but you either don’t want to do it outdoors, you don’t have a backyard, or the weather isn’t really on your side. There are different types of indoor smokers to choose from but you can get one for under $50 and the results of your indoor smoker recipes will be really impressive. Bring all the delicious flavors of wood smoking indoors and try smoking a whole fish filet or ham. You can also smoke ribs, salmon, chicken, sausages, tofu, cheese, nuts, garlic, salt (yes, smoked salt is amazing!), Cornish hens, and much more. No oil or fats need to be added .....
- Easy Pasta Salad with Parmesan CheesePasta salad is always a winning dish. It is cheap to make, you can use leftover cooked pasta or cook some in about 10 minutes, and there are all kinds of flavors you can add to this easy pasta salad with parmesan cheese. In this recipe we are keeping with the Italian theme (although you might like to look at our Indian pasta salad for a wonderful fusion idea!) by incorporating parmesan cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. Dressing Tweaks Although the tangy red wine vinegar dressing is good, sometimes I prefer to just use mayo for a super-simple dressing which boasts a lovely creaminess everyone is going to love. You can add other flavors to the .....