Traditional English Ploughman’s Lunch
A ploughman’s lunch is a wonderful treat, best enjoyed in the beer garden of an old country pub, with a cold pint of cider or real ale. You can order a traditional English ploughman’s lunch in many English pubs, and you’ll never be disappointed.
Dating back to the 1930s, a traditional English ploughman’s lunch is comprised of crusty bread and butter, English cheese, pickled onions, pickles and chutney, and it might also include ham, apple, radishes, hard-boiled eggs or Scotch eggs, celery, cherry tomatoes, and other cold ingredients. Now you know why a traditional English ploughman’s lunch is so good.
Farm workers used to take their lunches out into the fields with them and eat it there, and a ploughman’s was a picnic-type lunch which was great for eating al fresco.
You can take the following recipe and tweak it as you wish. As long as the main ingredients are the crusty bread, cheese and some kind of pickles, you can call it a traditional English ploughman’s recipe.
When to Enjoy a Traditional English Ploughman’s Lunch
Ploughman is of course the British spelling of plowman, and this is a typical English lunch which you can get in cafes, hotels, restaurants and sometimes rustle it up at home if the weather’s hot and you don’t want to cook, or perhaps you have some cold meats and cheese to use up, and you want something hearty and delicious. Feel free to add in other ingredients. Perhaps you have some tortilla espanola (potato omelet) to use up, some olives, pasta salad, or anything else that would work on the plate. Go ahead and add anything you want and enjoy a traditional English ploughman’s lunch whenever you like!
- 4 thick slices of crusty bread, ½ a French baguette or 2 big crusty bread rolls
- 2 oz (60g) butter
- 230g (8 oz) cheese (see note)
- 4 big pickled onions
- 2 small tomatoes or 4 cherry tomatoes
- 4 green onions (spring onions)
- 4 tablespoons Branston's pickle, fruit chutney or other pickles
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 Scotch egg, cut in half
- 1 hard-boiled egg, cut in half
- 4 radishes
- 2 small wedges tortilla espanola (potato omelet)
- Ham or another kind of deli meat, in slices
- 1 cored apple, in wedges
- Butter the bread and put it on a platter.
- Chop or slice the cheese and add that.
- Add the pickled onions, tomatoes and green onions.
- Put the pickle, chutney or mixed pickles in a little container and put that on the platter.
- Add any of the optional ingredients to the platter.
- Serve with salt and black pepper on the side (and preferably a pint of real ale or cider!)
Some More Hot Content For You
- Indian Ground Beef with Fresh Tomato SaladThis Indian ground beef recipe is just amazing and I have made it 5 or 6 times. Despite beef not being the most popular meat in India (the Holy Cow and all that) it works beautifully with this recipe and these seasonings, so if you are into beef and you want to make something Indian, consider this recipe. The ingredients in this Indian ground beef dish work amazingly together and the finished dish is just heaven on a plate. You will cook the beef and onion, then add chickpeas, curry powder and stock. This mixture is served spooned over naan bread with a fresh tomato and cilantro salad. Some More Hot Content For You Tender Oven Baked Short .....
- Chicken Thighs with Apricot and CuminThis easy chicken recipe is suitable for any occasion. Chicken thighs are used here, because they are more moist and succulent, not to mention more flavorful, than chicken breast, which can dry out more easily. Chicken thighs with apricot and cumin make a delicious dinner for the whole family. Why not try this recipe tonight? As well as the chicken, you will be adding garlic and onion for a nice base flavor, as well as cumin and coriander for taste, carrot and fennel for crunch and color, and of course chopped apricots for a lovely, fruity flavor. Look at the recipe and you will see how simple this is to make, so if you were looking for an .....
- Banana Wontons with Chocolate Dipping SauceDessert wonton recipes are becoming more and more popular. This banana wontons with chocolate dipping sauce recipe features crunchy deep-fried wontons with a banana, orange and cinnamon filling. You can serve them alone if you like but they are even more tempting served with a hot chocolate sauce. Save time by buying a chocolate sauce or impress your dinner guests by making your own. Why We Love Sweet Wontons Dessert wonton recipes are becoming more and more popular. This banana wontons with chocolate dipping sauce recipe features crunchy deep-fried wontons with a banana, orange and cinnamon filling. You can serve them alone if you like but .....
- Superb Summer Dessert IdeasSummer is a great time for refreshing and fruit-based desserts and other tempting, light summer dessert ideas. If you want to linger a bit longer at the dinner table and savor something sweet while you do it there are plenty of choices. Most of the time you will want to serve something to either cool people down or showcase the wonderful summer fruits available during the warm months of the year. A favorite summer dessert is ice cream. To make this common dish a little more special you can make it yourself. If you have an ice cream maker and a little bit of time you can create a special recipe for whatever you’re craving that day, thinking .....
- An Introduction to Breda for VisitorsBreda (pronounced bray-DAH) is a city and municipality in the south of the Netherlands. The name comes from ‘brede Aa’ which means ‘wide Aa’, referring to where the rivers Mark and Aa meet. In 2014, Breda, Netherlands had 180,420 residents. Breda is known for its food and drink industry, and companies like Van Melle (Mentos), Kwatta (chocolate), Hero (soft drinks), and De Faam (licorice) are based there and known throughout Western Europe. Breda beer is exported all over the world, and there is also a sugar factory there to supply the sweet stuff to the food and beverage factories. The biggest brewery in the Netherlands, Oranjeboom, was .....
- Bacon Wrapped Avocado AppetizersThese bacon wrapped avocado appetizers are absolutely gorgeous and you can serve them as an appetizer or side dish. They are low in carbs (if you leave out the sugar) but high in flavor. Spicy or Mild, Your Choice Use the chili or cayenne pepper if you wish, or just have the bacon wrapped avocado appetizers without if you want a milder finish. These are great to pop into the oven when you have something else cooking on the stove. I wasn’t sure these would work the first time I made bacon wrapped avocado appetizers. I have made bacon-wrapped shrimp before, and bacon-wrapped cheese, but this is the first time I used avocado. Although .....
- AppetizersDiscover Amazing Appetizers The best starter recipes are the ones you feel would be most suitable for the occasion, plus those appetizers which go nicely before your chosen main course. Perhaps you want to make a hot meat starter recipe, a delicately flavored fish starter or something with eggs, cheese or even fruit. We have a lot of different starter recipes for you to browse and choose from, as well as plenty of handy starter making tips. You can make starters for two people to enjoy over a cozy dinner or lots of different snacks for a buffet or a big party. You will find plenty of choice here, when it comes to snacks and appetizers .....
- Healthy Banana and Carrot CurrySometimes the best recipes are the simplest, and it is a myth you have to use lots of different ingredients to make a nice curry recipe. Take the following healthy banana and carrot curry recipe for example. The main ingredients are carrots, banana and onion, and the sauce is made with curry powder, orange juice and a splash of yogurt. Use fat-free yogurt and you can see how healthy and low in both fat and calories this banana and carrot curry recipe is. Serve this banana and carrot curry with rice or naan bread or keep things healthy and have a chapatti bread with some raita (cucumber, yogurt and mint dressing) on the side. Perhaps you have .....
- Kedgeree Made with Couscous or RiceThis kedgeree recipe is a traditional British breakfast from colonial India, offering a great balance of smoky and spicy flavors. Enjoy this for lunch or dinner. It is also good for breakfast if you fancy something fishy. Yes this dish is usually made with rice but try kedgeree made with couscous if you want something deliciously different. Shrimp and haddock are combined with the rice or couscous and there are hardboiled eggs and onion in there as well, and some lemon juice which brings out the lovely fishy flavors. This kedgeree made with couscous recipe is much simpler to make than you might have thought, so why not try this at the .....
- Microsoft Surface Tablet Review and SpecsMicrosoft’s introduction of the new and exciting surface tablet created a huge amount of attention and some people were skeptical regarding the hype. However, the big question whether this Windows Tablet Surface was worth all of the attention was very quickly answered as this tablet is incredible. Do you want to know more about the Microsoft Surface tablet? If so then read on. Every aspect of the tablet is designed with the user in mind, and close attention to detail has ensured that you will enjoy everything. The design of the surface computer is brilliant and offers a lightweight, incredibly thin, compact device. The cover can be .....