Watermelon Radish Recipes Cooked and Raw
What is a watermelon radish, you might be wondering. It could be you have spotted watermelon radishes at your local market and you are curious what to do with such a vegetable. What kind of watermelon radish recipes are there? Maybe you are looking for a good watermelon recipe. Well I purchased some of these at my local market, and I have been experimenting!
First of all, what is a watermelon radish anyway? Well, this vegetable is an edible globular root with green leaves and thin stems. The outside is whitish and the flesh is bright pink. It is tender-crisp and firm in texture. It tastes mild and a little peppery. You might taste some almond in there when enjoying your watermelon radish recipes.
This vegetable varies in size between a golf ball and a softball, and you should choose ones which have smooth crack-free skins. You can get watermelon radishes all through the year, although spring and late fall are the peak season for them. This heirloom Chinese daikon radish belongs to the mustard (brassica) family. A watermelon radish is a good source of vitamin C, especially when you enjoy it raw.
What to Do with Watermelon Radish
So what kind of watermelon radish recipes are there? Serve them raw or cooked, either hot or cold. Cooking it mellows some of the pepperiness and brings out the natural sweetness. You can use a mandolin to thinly slice them to pickle, serve with sushi, use in a stir-fry recipe, or incorporate in salads.
Try watermelon radish with apple, soft cheese, fennel, creamy dressings, salad greens, eggs, noodles, bacon or white fish, and pair it with herbs like mint, tarragon or cilantro. Citrus is also good with this vegetable. Once you have bought some, keep them in the refrigerator and use within a week.
The Origins of Watermelon Radishes
In Chinese, watermelon radish is known as Shinrimei or Xin Li Mei which means ‘in one’s heart beautiful’ probably because of the gorgeous pink inside. This vegetable originated in China but once it reached the USA it was known as red meat radish or beauty heart radish. This cool season crop likes soil temperatures under 68F but above freezing. If the soil is too warm it can affect the flavor and also make the texture dry which will of course impact your watermelon radish recipes.
Raw Watermelon Radish Recipes
Try them thinly sliced on bread (buttered or with cream cheese) with some salt, pepper and perhaps dried dill. Toss thin slices with lemon juice, salt and olive oil and marinate for 20 minutes before eating. Some people pickle watermelon radishes in vinegar, salt and sugar for a few days.
How to Cook Watermelon Radish
You might like to saute watermelon radishes with butter and/or olive oil and salt, or else saute with shallots. Pour in a little stock or water and reduce until glazed. Something else you can do is roast them with carrots, beets and sweet potatoes in olive oil for a root vegetable side dish. Try making them into fries or chips, with salt and cumin as the flavoring.
Watermelon Radish Salad Recipe
This ingredient is great in salad. You can slice it or chop it, leaving the skin on (if you rinse it) or peeling it off. Mix it in with any kind of grain (rice, pasta, couscous, noodles etc) and add some fruit, salad vegetables (cucumber, cherry tomato etc) and then your favorite kind of salad dressing. I am into ranch dressing right now but this would go with literally anything. Add nuts, cheese, hard-boiled eggs and/or olives, and serve it over lettuce. The flavor of the watermelon radish is so mild it goes with anything, really, so there are various watermelon radish recipes you can enjoy.
Asian Watermelon Radish Salad
If you want an Asian take on the dish, cook egg noodles or rice noodles and rinse them under cold water, then toss them with thinly sliced watermelon radish, thinly sliced water chestnuts, well-drained mandarin slices, chopped peanuts, baby salad leaves, crushed pineapple, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, raw bean sprouts and either a tablespoon of soy sauce and a teaspoon of sesame oil or some Kewpie roasted sesame dressing (opens in new tab) which is absolutely gorgeous.
- 1 watermelon radish, very thinly sliced
- 1 handful cooked rice, pasta or couscous
- 1 tablespoon chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds or cashews)
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries or raisins
- 2 tablespoons crushed pineapple or 6 mandarin segments
- 1 inch (2.5 cm) thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 teaspoon fried bacon bits (Baco's)
- 1 teaspoon crispy fried onions
- 3 halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon parsley, basil or cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons salad dressing (any type you have)
- Handful of salad leaves (any kind) or baby spinach
- Toss all the ingredients together until well mixed.
- Be creative, leaving out any of the ingredients you don't have (except the watermelon radish and dressing!) and adding in anything else you like.
- Serve right away.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Cream Cheese Wonton RecipesCream cheese wontons recipes are so easy to make. All you need apart from the oil for frying are some wonton skins and cream cheese. I usually use Philadelphia cream cheese but you can use any kind you like. You could even use one of the flavored kinds, like herb cream cheese or tomato and basil cream cheese for your cream cheese wontons recipes, but the plain kind works just fine too. You can fold the wontons up however you want when making cream cheese wonton recipes, perhaps pulling two of the pointed tips towards each other, then the other two. Alternatively you could scrunch the tops to make a “moneybag” shape or simply fold .....
- Spicy Roast PotatoesThere are thousands of potato recipes, and many ways to prepare roast potatoes, including this spicy roast potatoes recipe. One of the nicest things to do with them is spice them up before roasting, and then you will be able to enjoy the aromatic spices and the potatoes too with their crispy outsides and fluffy hot insides. The following spicy roast potatoes recipe is very simple to make. You will need floury potatoes like King Edward, Yukon Gold, Charlotte, Maris Piper, or Duke of York. Floury varieties are better for mashing, fry-making or roasting, while non-floury potatoes suit boiling better. If you try to boil a floury potato it is .....
- Indian Ground Beef with Fresh Tomato SaladThis Indian ground beef recipe is just amazing and I have made it 5 or 6 times. Despite beef not being the most popular meat in India (the Holy Cow and all that) it works beautifully with this recipe and these seasonings, so if you are into beef and you want to make something Indian, consider this recipe. The ingredients in this Indian ground beef dish work amazingly together and the finished dish is just heaven on a plate. You will cook the beef and onion, then add chickpeas, curry powder and stock. This mixture is served spooned over naan bread with a fresh tomato and cilantro salad......
- Easy French Macaron RecipeA macaron is a French meringue-based treat, made with powdered sugar, white sugar, egg white, almond and food coloring. These delicious little bites are often composed of two macarons sandwiched together with buttercream, jam or ganache, and you can get many different flavors. You can even make your own easy French macaron recipe. Don’t confuse macarons (with one O) with macaroons (with two O’s) – the latter are heavy, coconut cookies. Macarons are been around for hundreds of years, and they are believed to date back to 8 AD. Italian pastry chefs accompanying Catherine de Medici in 1533 when she married Henry II of France, .....
- Beef and Cheese Stuffed Bell PeppersYou will find these beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers to be really filling. If you are not sure that one stuffed bell pepper is going to be sufficient for your meal, don’t worry, because it will be! I love making beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers. Sometimes I use a rice based stuffing but the beef and cheese option is also very nice. It is filling and if you are keeping an eye on your carbs then that is another reason to make these. Stuffed peppers look attractive and while some people throw the top away I like to cook it in the baking pan with the stuffed peppers and then put it back on at the end. I just like the presentation .....
- Best Home Treatments for Yeast InfectionYou will be amazed what you have in your home that can help to treat your yeast infection effectively. There are huge arrays of different ingredients in kitchen cupboards, which can be combined to produce excellent home remedies. You will be able to come up with some of the best home treatments for yeast infection. These will not only cost you far less than over the counter treatments, but also be 100% natural. What Causes the Yeast Infection in Your Body? Candida is a fungus that is present in your body at all times and produces micro organisms, called Candida Albicans. These tiny microorganisms can cause a huge amount of trouble when .....
- Easy Banana Cheesecake with a Vanilla CrustThere are many types of cheesecake to choose from – chocolate, caramel, strawberry… the list goes on. Banana cheesecake is especially good though, and better still it is easy to make. This dessert is wonderful after any kind of main dish and you will probably want seconds because it’s so good! Our recipe uses vanilla wafer cookies and butter to make the crust, then the main layer is made with mashed bananas, sugar, cornstarch, eggs, cream and vanilla. The banana cheesecake is baked briefly in a hot oven then finished off in a cooler oven. When the middle is nearly set but still a little jiggly it is done. How to Serve this .....
- Authentic Italian Meatballs with BasilThese delicious and authentic Italian meatballs with basil can be served hot or cold and they make a really nice starter recipe. Serve them with a tomato-based dip or a creamy dip for the best results. You can use a shop-bought tomato salsa or garlic mayonnaise dip if you want to, or put something together yourself. Different Kinds of Meatballs There are lots of meatballs recipes to choose from and you have probably tasted Swedish meatballs, pork meatballs or other meatballs recipes before. This recipe for authentic Italian meatballs with basil is very simple and the meatballs are steamed rather than fried or baked, to keep them juicy and .....
- Mexican Spiced Hot ChocolateWhen the weather is cold outside and you want to sip on something hot and comforting, what better beverage could there be than Mexican spiced hot chocolate? But we are not talking about just any hot chocolate here. There is regular hot chocolate and then there is a south of the border delight! For the ultimate satisfying drink, make some Mexican spiced hot chocolate and allow the chocolate to caress your soul while the spices offer added warmth and flavor. Nice and Spicy Chipotle chili pepper and cinnamon add a lovely touch to this Mexican spiced hot chocolate, and you will love the finished flavor. Feel free to use your favorite cocoa or .....
- Homemade Easy Wonton Recipes for EveryoneEasy wonton recipes should find a place in your meal, or at least appetizer, rotation. Whether you fancy making wonton soup, crunchy fried wontons, sensational steamed wontons or even healthy baked ones, there are plenty of easy wonton recipes for you to choose from. These feature all your favorite ingredients from chicken to duck or pork, nutritious veggies, exciting herbs and spices, and even fruit or cheese. There are wonton recipes for ever season, occasion and palate, and wontons can make amazing comfort food, a well-deserved snack, or even a complete meal. There are homemade easy wonton recipes for everyone to enjoy. Easy Wonton .....