Watermelon Radish Recipes Cooked and Raw
What is a watermelon radish, you might be wondering. It could be you have spotted watermelon radishes at your local market and you are curious what to do with such a vegetable. What kind of watermelon radish recipes are there? Maybe you are looking for a good watermelon recipe. Well I purchased some of these at my local market, and I have been experimenting!
First of all, what is a watermelon radish anyway? Well, this vegetable is an edible globular root with green leaves and thin stems. The outside is whitish and the flesh is bright pink. It is tender-crisp and firm in texture. It tastes mild and a little peppery. You might taste some almond in there when enjoying your watermelon radish recipes.
This vegetable varies in size between a golf ball and a softball, and you should choose ones which have smooth crack-free skins. You can get watermelon radishes all through the year, although spring and late fall are the peak season for them. This heirloom Chinese daikon radish belongs to the mustard (brassica) family. A watermelon radish is a good source of vitamin C, especially when you enjoy it raw.
What to Do with Watermelon Radish
So what kind of watermelon radish recipes are there? Serve them raw or cooked, either hot or cold. Cooking it mellows some of the pepperiness and brings out the natural sweetness. You can use a mandolin to thinly slice them to pickle, serve with sushi, use in a stir-fry recipe, or incorporate in salads.
Try watermelon radish with apple, soft cheese, fennel, creamy dressings, salad greens, eggs, noodles, bacon or white fish, and pair it with herbs like mint, tarragon or cilantro. Citrus is also good with this vegetable. Once you have bought some, keep them in the refrigerator and use within a week.
The Origins of Watermelon Radishes
In Chinese, watermelon radish is known as Shinrimei or Xin Li Mei which means ‘in one’s heart beautiful’ probably because of the gorgeous pink inside. This vegetable originated in China but once it reached the USA it was known as red meat radish or beauty heart radish. This cool season crop likes soil temperatures under 68F but above freezing. If the soil is too warm it can affect the flavor and also make the texture dry which will of course impact your watermelon radish recipes.
Raw Watermelon Radish Recipes
Try them thinly sliced on bread (buttered or with cream cheese) with some salt, pepper and perhaps dried dill. Toss thin slices with lemon juice, salt and olive oil and marinate for 20 minutes before eating. Some people pickle watermelon radishes in vinegar, salt and sugar for a few days.
How to Cook Watermelon Radish
You might like to saute watermelon radishes with butter and/or olive oil and salt, or else saute with shallots. Pour in a little stock or water and reduce until glazed. Something else you can do is roast them with carrots, beets and sweet potatoes in olive oil for a root vegetable side dish. Try making them into fries or chips, with salt and cumin as the flavoring.
Watermelon Radish Salad Recipe
This ingredient is great in salad. You can slice it or chop it, leaving the skin on (if you rinse it) or peeling it off. Mix it in with any kind of grain (rice, pasta, couscous, noodles etc) and add some fruit, salad vegetables (cucumber, cherry tomato etc) and then your favorite kind of salad dressing. I am into ranch dressing right now but this would go with literally anything. Add nuts, cheese, hard-boiled eggs and/or olives, and serve it over lettuce. The flavor of the watermelon radish is so mild it goes with anything, really, so there are various watermelon radish recipes you can enjoy.
Asian Watermelon Radish Salad
If you want an Asian take on the dish, cook egg noodles or rice noodles and rinse them under cold water, then toss them with thinly sliced watermelon radish, thinly sliced water chestnuts, well-drained mandarin slices, chopped peanuts, baby salad leaves, crushed pineapple, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, raw bean sprouts and either a tablespoon of soy sauce and a teaspoon of sesame oil or some Kewpie roasted sesame dressing (opens in new tab) which is absolutely gorgeous.
- 1 watermelon radish, very thinly sliced
- 1 handful cooked rice, pasta or couscous
- 1 tablespoon chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds or cashews)
- 1 tablespoon dried cranberries or raisins
- 2 tablespoons crushed pineapple or 6 mandarin segments
- 1 inch (2.5 cm) thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 teaspoon fried bacon bits (Baco's)
- 1 teaspoon crispy fried onions
- 3 halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon parsley, basil or cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons salad dressing (any type you have)
- Handful of salad leaves (any kind) or baby spinach
- Toss all the ingredients together until well mixed.
- Be creative, leaving out any of the ingredients you don't have (except the watermelon radish and dressing!) and adding in anything else you like.
- Serve right away.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Best Collection of Cheeseball RecipesFind out how to make a delicious cheeseball by combining ingredients like cheese, garlic, cream cheese, nuts, bacon and other ingredients. Cheeseball recipes have been around for decades but they never lose their appeal! So what do you serve with cheeseball recipes? Well they are great for dipping crackers, chips or bread slices and the softer ones are even good with softer ingredients. Take your pick but crackers are my preference. Do You Serve Cheese Balls Chilled or Not? Well you can leave your cheese ball at room temperature to soften it or keep it chilled until serving for extra firmness. But don’t serve it too cold or you .....
- Electric Cookware for the KitchenTechnology has become a huge part of everyday life, and every area of your home will have some form of electrical item to make life easier. The kitchen is no exception, and there are many different electrical cookware items which will enhance your cooking experience. Perhaps you already have all the electric cookware for the kitchen, or it could be you are considering some new purchases. One thing is for sure, and that means you won’t be short of choice, because there are so many wonderful items to choose from. Alongside the traditional pots and pans, you are likely to see many new high tech cookware items. From electric griddles and .....
- Easy Starter Recipe IdeasStarter recipes as they are called in the UK, or appetizer recipes as they are known in the US, are little snacks which are served before the main dish. There are easy starter recipe ideas to suit every occasion. There are hot and cold starter recipes that everyone can prepare, no matter whether you happen to be a newbie in the kitchen or an experienced and seasoned chef. So what are you planning to make as your New Year’s Eve starter recipes? A parma ham and melon starter, prawn cocktail, cheeseballs, canapes or something else? Keep reading if you are still looking for New Year’s Eve appetizer inspiration. Easy Starter Recipe .....
- 7 Ways to Cook Salmon FiletsThere are plenty of ways to cook salmon filets, which is good news if you love this tasty, healthy fish. Salmon is one of the most popular choices when it comes to fish, along with tuna and cod. These 3 fish are often known as ‘the big 3’ because they are so popular. Salmon has a distinctive flavor which pairs well with just about any cuisine, whether you are adding teriyaki and sesame seeds, hoisin or soy sauce for an Asian feel, lemon and parsley along with white wine for a Western European dish, or even barbecue sauce, avocado and tortillas for a Tex-Mex feast. So what are some of the ways to cook salmon filets? Well salmon can be baked, .....
- Create Your Own Wonton FillingsAfter making a number of steamed wonton recipes, there will come a time when you wish to create your own wonton fillings. Although you can use pretty much any kind of meat, poultry or fish in your wonton filling, it is important to grind or chop it as finely as you can. You need your ingredients to be very small for wonton fillings, so you can mix everything together better. Anything which is not cut into small enough pieces means you risk the wonton wrapper coming apart while they’re being cooked and then the filling will leak out which obviously you don’t want to happen. Create Your Own Wonton Fillings: What to Use Throw some .....
- Quick ‘n Easy Lemon and Lime SalmonThis is an incredibly easy recipe and a great way to prepare salmon. Here we are adding lemon and lime juice to the fish, along with lemon and lime zest if you like. You could stick to either lemon or lime or, like I prefer to do, use some of each for a more interesting flavor in this lemon and lime salmon recipe. Add the zest too if you want, to add more citrus flavor to the salmon and also to add a decorative touch. Last time I made this lemon and lime salmon recipe, I sprinkled some Old Bay seasoning over the salmon. I wasn’t sure whether my husband would like it because he hates celery and celery seed is a major ingredient in Old .....
- Vaginal Yeast Infection HelpYeast infections are commonly found in the vaginal area and a huge amount of women suffer with this form of infection every year. This is when they desperately search for vaginal yeast infection help. The technical term for this infection is Candidiasis, and is often caused by the yeast in your body growing far too fast. The species of fungus that produces this problem is Candida and is present in your body at all times. This fungus will grow and spread rapidly when provided with the ideal conditions, such as a warm, moist place to thrive. When the yeast grows to an uncontrollable level, the infection will begin, which can vary from mild to .....
- British Indian Food and How It All BeganIndian cuisine is really popular in the UK, but British Indian food differs from authentic Indian cuisine. While some dishes are Anglicized versions of typical Indian dishes, others are Indian takes on typical British dishes, so there is plenty of fusion. Fish and meat are cooked as curries with Indian vegetables, and yogurt, almonds and coconut are typical ingredients in this cuisine. British roast beef for example can be modified with chilies and cumin to make a curried beef dish. Indian roast type dishes, rices, breads and curries all offer a distinctive Indian taste. Some examples of British Indian food include mulligatawny, fish .....
- Chicken Fajitas RecipeHere in this excellent chicken fajitas recipe, we are pairing spiced chicken with delicious veggies, soft tortillas and whichever condiments you want to add. It makes a lovely dinner for any occasion. Although a lot of people assume fajitas are Mexican they are actually Tex-Mex. The word ‘fajita’ refers to barbequed meat which is served on a tortilla. Onions and bell peppers usually feature in these recipes, along with lettuce, sour cream, salsa or pico de gallo, tomato, and/or guacamole. Skirt steak is the original meat used to make a chicken fajitas recipe, and this tough cut of beef which is amazing when slow cooked has soared .....
- Best Vertigo Treatment to Stop the Room SpinningFirst things first, what is vertigo? To sum up, it is a dizzy feeling. If you have it, the room will seem to be spinning or moving. It can be linked to inner ear or eyesight disorders and the only way to get rid of it is to find the best vertigo treatment. Dizziness is something most of us experience now and then but vertigo is a feeling of spinning or tilting, a persistent sense of motion which you feel when there is nothing moving. How Does It Feel? Nausea, vomiting and/or sweating can accompany it, and in severe cases you can’t even walk down the street in a straight line because it feels like everything is moving or tilting. It .....