Authentic Egg Fried Rice without Soy Sauce
Egg fried rice without soy sauce is a dish lots of people want to make but since soy sauce is one of the key ingredients it can be puzzling working out how to get around that. Fried rice is one of the best-known Chinese dishes, but the authentic recipe is quite different to what you might be used to. For example, have you tried making egg fried rice without soy sauce? That is how it is made in China, well in many parts of the country, and the more authentic option in many cases.
Egg Fried Rice without Soy Sauce: Such a Tempting Dish to Make
Egg fried rice is the dish to make when you want to use leftovers to rustle up something quick and easy, something comforting and tasty, something literally anyone can make regardless of culinary expertise or cooking experience.
This egg fried rice without soy sauce dish is easy, folks, and delicious too! But before you grab your wok and leftovers, you need to know a few tips about how to make the best egg fried rice recipe ever.
Egg fried rice is found all over the globe, either the authentic version or something more tailored toward the country in question. In China, egg fried rice is considered a meal rather than a side dish, and it might be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Egg Fried Rice without Soy Sauce: Important to Know
The key to making wonderful egg fried rice without soy sauce is pre-cooking your meat and veggies, and using dry fluffy rice (not cooking it fresh or just before you make your egg fried rice recipe).
I usually use rice which was cooked 1 or 2 days prior but as long as you leave a few hours between the initial cooking and making the egg fried rice (as many hours as you can) it should still work out. This tip applies to all fried rice dishes, including nasi goreng Indonesian fried rice, which is similar in terms of texture.
You could even use a rice cooker and slightly less water, and the resulting rice could be used, if you really want to make this but don’t have leftover rice (or much time). Use about 2 cups of raw rice to end up with a pound of cooked rice (what you need for our recipe). Our recipes serves 2 or 3 as a main dish, maybe 4 or 5 as a side dish. Feel free to double or triple it if you need.
Transforming Humble Leftovers into Amazing Fried Rice
This egg fried rice without soy sauce dish is traditionally made with whatever meat and vegetables you happen to have and you should treat our recipe as a guideline, switching out ingredients wherever necessary, to make use of what you have. As long as you have leftover cooked white rice and some kind of leftover meat/fish and some veggies, you are ready to go!
Cooked rice needs to be spread out on a tray and left alone to cool, then refrigerated. Don’t leave it out for more than 2 hours (for safety reasons). The green onions are added raw and the eggs are added during cooking. Apart from those ingredients everything else should be pre-cooked, because when you’re making the dish you don’t have time to do more than heat your ingredients through.
Preparing the Eggs
You will see we beat the eggs slightly then cook them a bit before adding the rice. That’s a good tip for making egg fried rice without soy sauce. The reason for that is if you add the rice and then tip the raw eggs into the pan you will end up with bits of egg stuck to the rice – basically a bit of a mess. Par-cooking them means you will get some egg stuck to the rice, some in bigger ‘chunks’ – a more interesting texture.
Use vegetable oil or peanut oil in this recipe – either works. Some people like to add a pinch of brown sugar to the recipe for a slightly sweeter result. This depends on your palate but is an option. Adding a pinch of MSG (labeled as ‘Accent’) is another option.
Good Organization in the Kitchen
If your pan is hot enough the eggs will start cooking right away, so have ALL your ingredients next to you and ready to be added. Halfway through cooking this dish is certainly not the time to be chopping or dicing anything.
Your ingredients must all be ready before you begin, and have your serving bowls and chopsticks ready too. This egg fried rice without soy sauce dish takes about 5 minutes to cook once everything is prepared.
Preparing Your Ingredients
Dice all your meat/seafood and veggies about the same size for even cooking.
You can swap the pork in our recipe for any leftover cooked meat, such as beef or chicken, or even shrimp or fish, and the vegetables can be any diced vegetables. Char siu pork is available from any Asian food market selling barbecued chicken, or you could cook your own or use another kind of leftover meat or fish.
If you want to make a vegetarian egg fried rice without soy sauce, swap the chicken stock for vegetarian stock. Also use cooked, diced carrots, along with peas, corn and beans. I like to add pineapple (canned is OK too) sometimes. Just get creative and add whatever you want, and you are sure to end up with a great result.
Is Soy Sauce a No-No Then?
If you do want to add a splash of soy sauce, of course you can because that is your recipe, but some people believe it makes the rice soggy and others simply don’t like soy sauce and prefer not to use it. That’s the whole reasoning behind egg fried rice without soy sauce.
In some countries, egg fried rice without soy sauce isn’t such an attractive proposition. In parts of Malaysia, for example, kecap manis or ketjap manis (a thick, sweet soy sauce variant) is a key ingredient and canned spam, which was pretty much the only meat option during the war, also has a place in this dish. I don’t mean to generalize, just give you an example of how what it the best way of making something in one person’s opinion isn’t necessarily the best way in another’s opinion.
What you should take away from this is that there is no right or wrong way to make egg fried rice. As long as you like the flavor and texture of the finished dish, you have made it right! Garnish it with a chili pepper and green onion for a colorful result if you like, and enjoy the best egg fried rice you have ever made.
- 1 lb (450g) cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10½ oz (300g) diced char siu pork
- 5 oz (150g) cooked shrimp
- 3 tablespoons cooked peas
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 diced green onions
- 1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon chicken stock powder
- Get your wok or pan nice and hot.
- Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan then pour out any excess oil.
- Beat the eggs for 10 seconds with a fork, then pour them into the pan.
- When the egg is cooked add the rice and cook, using a spatula to move the eggs and rice around.
- Keep everything moving all the time so nothing sticks to the pan.
- Beat the rice with your spatula to separate out the grains, so the egg can coat them.
- Add the chicken stock powder and salt and mix them in.
- Add the cooked meat and veggies and keep cooking, moving the ingredients around the pan until well combined.
- Keep doing this for a couple minutes until everything is heated through.
- Toss the green onions through the mixture, then serve hot.
Which is the Best Rice Cooker?
Rice can be used to make snacks, appetizers or main dishes, as well as side dishes, and it is a tasty, economical choice.
Convenient and Versatile
If you have a rice cooker, you will find yourself using it often. This Aroma 8-Cup model can be used to prepare anywhere between 2 and 8 cups of rice and it can also steam your meat and veggies while the rice cooks below.
The programmable, digital controls are simple to use and there is a keep-warm function, so you can see how making your rice in here beats using a regular pot hands-down. A rice cooker might not be something you have considered before, but it makes such light, easy work of cooking rice you will soon wonder how you managed without it! Try it the next time you make egg fried rice without soy sauce.
You can choose between brown and white rice, and also use it for chili, jambalaya, soups etc. The 15-hour delay timer is great for planning your meals flexibly, and you get a rice measuring cup, steam tray, recipes and coupons, and a serving spatula. This is one of the best-rated rice cookers online, and a real bargain.
Top-Rated Aroma 8-Cup Rice Cooker, on Amazon
Some More Hot Content For You
- Spinach Potato Knishes – Jewish Comfort FoodI first tried spinach potato knishes (pronounced kuh-NISH-es) at Kenny and Ziggy’s in Houston TX, and wow was this some spectacular comfort food. I’m British so I am used to Cornish pasties (a tasty pastry-enclosed meat and potato recipe from the southwest corner of England) and I also enjoy pastry-wrapped or pastry-enclosed vegetable recipes for lunch or as snacks. What are knishes, I asked myself, perusing the menu. Google to the rescue and I read the description. My mouth began to water and I thought wow I have to order these! So, now you’re asking what are knishes exactly? Well this tasty Jewish recipe is a savory pie. .....
- Catalan Mussels RecipeFresh mussels have their own distinctive flavor and they don’t need much added to them to bring out their natural taste. Mussels and cockles are great for making appetizers, or starter recipes. Mussels steamed are great, as are mussels cooked in other ways. One of the best ways to work with this seafood is to try out this Catalan mussels recipe. Adding Flavor to the Mussels In this Catalan mussels recipe, vinegar, lemon, oil and basil are used to add flavour and the natural mussel recipe taste shines through. This dish is best chilled overnight so allow plenty of time to do that. This is also a bonus if you are planning a number of .....
- Indian Ground Beef with Fresh Tomato SaladThis Indian ground beef recipe is just amazing and I have made it 5 or 6 times. Despite beef not being the most popular meat in India (the Holy Cow and all that) it works beautifully with this recipe and these seasonings, so if you are into beef and you want to make something Indian, consider this recipe. The ingredients in this Indian ground beef dish work amazingly together and the finished dish is just heaven on a plate. You will cook the beef and onion, then add chickpeas, curry powder and stock. This mixture is served spooned over naan bread with a fresh tomato and cilantro salad. Some More Hot Content For You Greek Lamb Pasta Bake with .....
- The Most Famous British StartersBritish food is considered by some non-Brits to be boring or stodgy. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Great British starter recipes include such delights as prawn cocktail, brown Windsor soup, cheese and tomato tartlets, homemade pate and more. Learn more about famous British starters and you will be able to rustle up all manner of delicious fare. In Wales you might find Welsh rarebit on the menu, which is basically grilled cheese on toast, but beer and Worcestershire sauce are used in the traditional recipe. Scottish food varies as widely as Scotland itself does but Scottish soups like cock-a-leekie and Scotch broth usually go .....
- Easy Starter Recipe IdeasStarter recipes as they are called in the UK, or appetizer recipes as they are known in the US, are little snacks which are served before the main dish. There are easy starter recipe ideas to suit every occasion. There are hot and cold starter recipes that everyone can prepare, no matter whether you happen to be a newbie in the kitchen or an experienced and seasoned chef. So what are you planning to make as your New Year’s Eve starter recipes? A parma ham and melon starter, prawn cocktail, cheeseballs, canapes or something else? Keep reading if you are still looking for New Year’s Eve appetizer inspiration. Easy Starter Recipe .....
- Best Rolling BackpackFirst things first, so what is a rolling backpack? A rolling backpack is a backpack on wheels, although it also has straps so you can carry it on your back. This is an excellent idea for students, to ensure that you do not damage your back whilst transporting all of your books and materials. The best rolling backpack is going to be a great investment. As the amount of books needed for classes increases, the strain on your back can be intense. However, with the rolling backpack, you will apply no pressure to your back, and can ensure that you can transport everything you need. Best Rolling Backpack: Handy for Everybody Rolling backpacks are .....
- Duck Galettes RecipeThese delicious galettes are easy and fast to make. You need to chill them partway through the recipe so you could make them in advance up until then if you are in a hurry. This duck galettes recipe is a highly unusual appetizer recipe which you might want to consider. Duck Galettes Recipe: French in Origin The correct term for one of these galettes is a ‘Breton galette’ since a galette is any kind of flat French savory cake, while a Breton galette means a flat, buckwheat pancake, so there is a difference. Including duck and potatoes, this recipe is not your average starter recipe so if you are looking for something extra special .....
- Renovate Your Bathroom Like a ProBathrooms are an area that can be entirely different to every other style that you have applied throughout your home. Learn how to renovate your bathroom like a pro and you can come up with something unique and perfect for the small (or not so small) space you have in there. There is a huge amount of different decorating ideas, which will suit your taste, style and budget. Regardless of how much money you have to spend on the decorating, you will find that there are some fantastic ideas. Take your time when deciding what kind of style you want to go for and figuring out how to renovate your bathroom, because just because somethings looks .....
- No Meat Peanut CrackslawSimilar to our other recipes for crackslaw yet slightly different because of the peanut butter and the lack of meat, this one is a nice change of pace. Just like with the other recipes though you should feel free to adapt this peanut crackslaw recipe and make it however you prefer. If you want to use meat, go ahead, choosing from beef, pork, chicken – as long as it is ground that is fine. Check the label to make sure it is 100% meat and no fillers. This peanut crackslaw is really simple to make. If you do want to use ground meat, cook that first, then empty it out of the wok and proceed with step 1. Add the meat back in the end and .....
- Dairy Free Cantaloupe and Prawn StarterThis dairy free cantaloupe and prawn starter recipe is also nut free and soy free, as well as dairy free. The delicious prawn salad is served inside a cantaloupe melon, making this a very attractive starter recipe as well as a delicious one. You can either cut the cantaloupe melons into wedges and serve them with the salad or use this recipe as the centrepieces for a buffet table. This is a colorful and appetizing starter recipe. Cantaloupe and Prawn Starter: Tweaks You Can Make You don’t have to use the melon at all for this seafood starter recipe if you don’t want to and a bed of salad leaves is fine instead. Use baby spinach, .....