Authentic Egg Fried Rice without Soy Sauce
Egg fried rice without soy sauce is a dish lots of people want to make but since soy sauce is one of the key ingredients it can be puzzling working out how to get around that. Fried rice is one of the best-known Chinese dishes, but the authentic recipe is quite different to what you might be used to. For example, have you tried making egg fried rice without soy sauce? That is how it is made in China, well in many parts of the country, and the more authentic option in many cases.
Egg Fried Rice without Soy Sauce: Such a Tempting Dish to Make
Egg fried rice is the dish to make when you want to use leftovers to rustle up something quick and easy, something comforting and tasty, something literally anyone can make regardless of culinary expertise or cooking experience.
This egg fried rice without soy sauce dish is easy, folks, and delicious too! But before you grab your wok and leftovers, you need to know a few tips about how to make the best egg fried rice recipe ever.
Egg fried rice is found all over the globe, either the authentic version or something more tailored toward the country in question. In China, egg fried rice is considered a meal rather than a side dish, and it might be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Egg Fried Rice without Soy Sauce: Important to Know
The key to making wonderful egg fried rice without soy sauce is pre-cooking your meat and veggies, and using dry fluffy rice (not cooking it fresh or just before you make your egg fried rice recipe).
I usually use rice which was cooked 1 or 2 days prior but as long as you leave a few hours between the initial cooking and making the egg fried rice (as many hours as you can) it should still work out. This tip applies to all fried rice dishes, including nasi goreng Indonesian fried rice, which is similar in terms of texture.
You could even use a rice cooker and slightly less water, and the resulting rice could be used, if you really want to make this but don’t have leftover rice (or much time). Use about 2 cups of raw rice to end up with a pound of cooked rice (what you need for our recipe). Our recipes serves 2 or 3 as a main dish, maybe 4 or 5 as a side dish. Feel free to double or triple it if you need.
Transforming Humble Leftovers into Amazing Fried Rice
This egg fried rice without soy sauce dish is traditionally made with whatever meat and vegetables you happen to have and you should treat our recipe as a guideline, switching out ingredients wherever necessary, to make use of what you have. As long as you have leftover cooked white rice and some kind of leftover meat/fish and some veggies, you are ready to go!
Cooked rice needs to be spread out on a tray and left alone to cool, then refrigerated. Don’t leave it out for more than 2 hours (for safety reasons). The green onions are added raw and the eggs are added during cooking. Apart from those ingredients everything else should be pre-cooked, because when you’re making the dish you don’t have time to do more than heat your ingredients through.
Preparing the Eggs
You will see we beat the eggs slightly then cook them a bit before adding the rice. That’s a good tip for making egg fried rice without soy sauce. The reason for that is if you add the rice and then tip the raw eggs into the pan you will end up with bits of egg stuck to the rice – basically a bit of a mess. Par-cooking them means you will get some egg stuck to the rice, some in bigger ‘chunks’ – a more interesting texture.
Use vegetable oil or peanut oil in this recipe – either works. Some people like to add a pinch of brown sugar to the recipe for a slightly sweeter result. This depends on your palate but is an option. Adding a pinch of MSG (labeled as ‘Accent’) is another option.
Good Organization in the Kitchen
If your pan is hot enough the eggs will start cooking right away, so have ALL your ingredients next to you and ready to be added. Halfway through cooking this dish is certainly not the time to be chopping or dicing anything.
Your ingredients must all be ready before you begin, and have your serving bowls and chopsticks ready too. This egg fried rice without soy sauce dish takes about 5 minutes to cook once everything is prepared.
Preparing Your Ingredients
Dice all your meat/seafood and veggies about the same size for even cooking.
You can swap the pork in our recipe for any leftover cooked meat, such as beef or chicken, or even shrimp or fish, and the vegetables can be any diced vegetables. Char siu pork is available from any Asian food market selling barbecued chicken, or you could cook your own or use another kind of leftover meat or fish.
If you want to make a vegetarian egg fried rice without soy sauce, swap the chicken stock for vegetarian stock. Also use cooked, diced carrots, along with peas, corn and beans. I like to add pineapple (canned is OK too) sometimes. Just get creative and add whatever you want, and you are sure to end up with a great result.
Is Soy Sauce a No-No Then?
If you do want to add a splash of soy sauce, of course you can because that is your recipe, but some people believe it makes the rice soggy and others simply don’t like soy sauce and prefer not to use it. That’s the whole reasoning behind egg fried rice without soy sauce.
In some countries, egg fried rice without soy sauce isn’t such an attractive proposition. In parts of Malaysia, for example, kecap manis or ketjap manis (a thick, sweet soy sauce variant) is a key ingredient and canned spam, which was pretty much the only meat option during the war, also has a place in this dish. I don’t mean to generalize, just give you an example of how what it the best way of making something in one person’s opinion isn’t necessarily the best way in another’s opinion.
What you should take away from this is that there is no right or wrong way to make egg fried rice. As long as you like the flavor and texture of the finished dish, you have made it right! Garnish it with a chili pepper and green onion for a colorful result if you like, and enjoy the best egg fried rice you have ever made.
- 1 lb (450g) cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10½ oz (300g) diced char siu pork
- 5 oz (150g) cooked shrimp
- 3 tablespoons cooked peas
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 diced green onions
- 1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon chicken stock powder
- Get your wok or pan nice and hot.
- Add the oil and swirl to coat the pan then pour out any excess oil.
- Beat the eggs for 10 seconds with a fork, then pour them into the pan.
- When the egg is cooked add the rice and cook, using a spatula to move the eggs and rice around.
- Keep everything moving all the time so nothing sticks to the pan.
- Beat the rice with your spatula to separate out the grains, so the egg can coat them.
- Add the chicken stock powder and salt and mix them in.
- Add the cooked meat and veggies and keep cooking, moving the ingredients around the pan until well combined.
- Keep doing this for a couple minutes until everything is heated through.
- Toss the green onions through the mixture, then serve hot.
Which is the Best Rice Cooker?
Rice can be used to make snacks, appetizers or main dishes, as well as side dishes, and it is a tasty, economical choice.
Convenient and Versatile
If you have a rice cooker, you will find yourself using it often. This Aroma 8-Cup model can be used to prepare anywhere between 2 and 8 cups of rice and it can also steam your meat and veggies while the rice cooks below.
The programmable, digital controls are simple to use and there is a keep-warm function, so you can see how making your rice in here beats using a regular pot hands-down. A rice cooker might not be something you have considered before, but it makes such light, easy work of cooking rice you will soon wonder how you managed without it! Try it the next time you make egg fried rice without soy sauce.
You can choose between brown and white rice, and also use it for chili, jambalaya, soups etc. The 15-hour delay timer is great for planning your meals flexibly, and you get a rice measuring cup, steam tray, recipes and coupons, and a serving spatula. This is one of the best-rated rice cookers online, and a real bargain.
Top-Rated Aroma 8-Cup Rice Cooker, on Amazon
Some More Hot Content For You
- Types of Bath Tubs and Bath TapsBathrooms are an essential part of every home, and they can be as modern or traditional as you desire. Every element of the bathroom can suit your taste and needs, ensuring that this room in your home is perfect. There are different types of bath tubs to choose from you can get the result you really want. There are essential items which all bathrooms need, including a sink, toilet, and shower or bath. If you are fortunate enough to have a large bathroom you can have both. Many people cannot live without their bath tub, and some will spend hours relaxing and soaking away their stresses after deciding which of the types of bath tubs is best .....
- Moroccan Appetizer RecipesExperimenting with food and flavors is part of the fun when discovering new recipes and Moroccan food is often considered to be exotic and exciting. Why not experiment with Moroccan appetizer recipes and discover a brand new flavor sensation? Authentic Moroccan cuisine is straightforward, yet full of distinctive flavors and aromas. There is no other cuisine quite like it. You might never have considered cooking Moroccan food before but there is a huge array of different Moroccan appetizer recipes to choose from and no matter which ingredients you like to use, or what taste you want to aim for, there is sure to be a perfect recipe for you to .....
- Easy Potato and Cherry Tomato FrittataThis healthy, colorful recipe is rich in vitamins and minerals, and it makes a delicious meal, whether you have it for breakfast or brunch, lunch or dinner. A frittata is an Italian egg-based dish, a bit like a crustless quiche or omelet. I love this potato and cherry tomato frittata because of the combination of flavors and textures. Frittata comes from ‘friggere’ – the Italian word for ‘fried’ – and such a dish can include cheese, vegetables, pasta, eggs, or anything else you like. This term used to refer to eggs cooked in a skillet, whether you are making an omelet, fried egg or even tortilla de patatas .....
- Wonton Making SuppliesSo what exactly do you need for making wontons? Well, wonton wrappers (also known as wonton skins or wonton papers) are crucial. Unless you decide to make your own of course! You will need some wonton making supplies in order to make delicious wontons. You will also need your chosen ingredients for the filling and that might be anything from minced pork, beef or chicken to cheese, vegetables or, if you want to make dessert wontons, chocolate, caramel, bananas, apple and other goodies. Wonton wrappers have a neutral flavor so they are equally well suited to spicy, mild or even sweet fillings......
- Standard Kitchen Cabinet DimensionsWhen planning a new kitchen or renovating your existing kitchen, there are various things that you need to know if you are going to do the work yourself, especially standard kitchen cabinet dimensions. “What are the standard kitchen cabinet dimensions” is a very common question to ask and you will need to know the answer so you can plan what to buy and also so you can plan what is going to go where and what exactly you are going to have in there. If space is at a premium you might be limited in the amount of drawers, cabinets and workspace you are able to get. Now, standard kitchen cabinet dimensions: base kitchen cabinets are 24 .....
- Curried Beef Stuffed PeppersI’ve always been a fan of stuffed peppers, especially when beef, rice and cheese come together with seasonings to offer a rich and satisfying filling. But this time I wanted to make something without the rice and cheese, and I was curious how to flavor the beef sufficiently so that could be the main ingredient. That is how the idea for these curried beef stuffed peppers was born. The following curried beef stuffed peppers recipe is made with spices and seasonings to add a light curry flavor to the beef filling, along with walnuts, raisins and other ingredients to add flavor accents. The overall effect is amazing and I am keen to make .....
- Traditional Recipe for Cornish PastiesOne of the most famous dishes to come from Cornwall, England (well apart from tea and scones of course) is the Cornish pasty. This delicious snack can be enjoyed hot, warm or chilled, and the beef and vegetable filling complements the flaky pastry perfectly. Knowing the traditional recipe for Cornish pasties means you can prepare this delicacy for your family at home. Traditional Recipe for Cornish Pasties Dough We are making the pastry for our Cornish pasty (pronounced PAH-stee) recipe as well as preparing the filling. For the pastry you will need flour, butter, egg yolks, salt and baking powder. It helps to have a food processor to prepare .....
- 12 Crockpot Recipes for Weight LossThe following crockpot recipes for weight loss are perfect for making in a slow cooker. One of the benefits to using a crockpot is you can tip the ingredients in there in the morning, then go to work or out for the day. When you get home your meal will be ready! This mean you don’t have to stand over the stove, nibbling on snacks you shouldn’t be having, but you can eat your healthy meal right away. A crockpot, also known as a slow cooker, is an electrical appliance used to gently simmer food. The temperature is kept low so your food slowly cooks over a period of hours. A basic model should have a low and a high setting while others might .....
- Asian Meatballs with Sweet Chili SauceThis is a wonderful recipe and it is also low in carbs. I love this Asian meatballs with sweet chili sauce recipe because I never get tired of the taste. I used to own the site Crackslaw.com where you could find out how to make all kinds of crack slaw recipes, something else that offers a wonderful Asian flavor. I’ve since moved them all on to this blog, so look at our low carb category and you will find plenty more ideas. Anyway, back to the Asian meatballs with sweet chili sauce. I had some ground beef to use up and some other bits and pieces and I asked my sister for inspiration and she came up with the idea to make these delicious .....
- Crackslaw with Chicken – Reduced Calorie OptionUsing chicken is a great idea if you want something with fewer calories yet offering the same great flavor as beef crackslaw gives you. The following crackslaw with chicken recipe is really tasty and perfect for a low carb diet whether you are following Atkins or another low carb diet regime. The crackslaw with chicken recipe itself is very similar to the beef version because chicken is versatile enough to be a perfect beef substitute but of course you can apply your own tweaks should you wish. Chicken is lower in calories than beef. If you’re low carbing then you probably aren’t counting your calories, just your carbs, but .....