Authentic Nasi Goreng Recipe
Nasi goreng means ‘fried rice’ in Indonesian as well as Malay, and it can be fried rice, a meal with stir-fried rice, or a salted dried fish mixture with rice. The main ingredient in an authentic nasi goreng recipe is always the rice, so if you are looking for something to make with leftover rice, keep reading and discover this wonderful Indonesian dish.
Authentic Nasi Goreng Recipe Ingredients
Known as the national dish of Indonesia, the best nasi goreng recipe is whichever mixture you like, perhaps rice with kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), egg, chicken, shrimp, garlic, and shallot, or perhaps you favor mushrooms and peas, or even beef and chilies.
Take a look in the refrigerator and cupboards before making an authentic nasi goreng recipe. If you have rice and some kind of vegetables you can make this. You can even switch the seasonings to make it fit what you have. There is no set recipe because it is a dish of various leftovers.
Beginning life similar to Chinese fried rice – a good way to use up leftover cooked rice – it was discovered that frying it could kill any microbes (which was important before the days of refrigeration). Nasi goreng is traditionally made from rice leftover from the evening before, and served for breakfast in Indonesia, although in the West we tend to prefer rice-based recipes for lunch or as an evening meal.
What Else is in an Authentic Nasi Goreng Recipe?
In addition to the rice, you will find ingredients like chicken or beef scraps, tomato, peppers, chili and shallots. It might have originated from Southern Chinese fried rice because other Indonesian dishes are similar to Chinese ones, a good example being mie goreng, which is fried noodles.
You will find nasi goreng all over Indonesia as well as Singapore and Malaysia, and it is also popular in the Netherlands because of colonial ties with Indonesia. You can even find it frozen in 7-Eleven and other convenience stores, but for the best nasi goreng authentic recipe, nothing beats making your own. That applies to most recipes actually!
Why Nasi Goreng is So Distinctive
What is kecap manis? Well, it is spicier, thicker and stronger than regular soy sauce but otherwise similar. You can use regular soy sauce if you can’t find kecap manis.
An authentic nasi goreng recipe is often served wtih fried onions, fried shallots and/or crispy prawn crackers to offer a texture contrast.
In addition to the above-mentioned ingredients many nasi goreng recipes feature shrimp paste, black pepper, eggs, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, nutmeg, green onions, salt, and/or fish sauce, depending on what the cook likes and/or has on hand.
Every recipe is different because in Indonesia it is made with the leftovers of the previous evening’s meal, so it depends what was left over, then herbs and spices are selected to complement the other ingredients in the dish.
You will need to use leftover cooked rice to make an authentic nasi goreng recipe because freshly cooked rice is too moist and soft and you will end up with a mushy texture if you try using it. It is possible to cook the rice ahead if you then let it chill for 2 hours before using, so the texture is right.
Other Types of Nasi Goreng
You will find this dish served in Asian fusion restaurants as well as in Indonesian restaurants all over the globe. It might be served with chicken or pork satay skewers, eggs (in fried, boiled or sliced omelet form), mixed vegetables, or other meats or fish. It is often sold with meatball noodles when you buy it from street vendors, and you might get a pickle with it too.
Nasi goreng is a popular dish in the Netherlands because of Indonesian colonial ties. There are plenty of Indonesian restaurants in the Netherlands which are owned and run by Indonesian migrants and their family, and you can also get take-out style nasi goreng in the grocery stores, along with the prawn crackers and other condiments to go with it. In Flanders, Belgium, the term nasi goreng (or simply nasi) applies to any fried rice dish.
Our authentic nasi goreng recipe is tweak-able so if you want to swap the chicken and shrimp for other proteins, or make it vegetarian, or swap any of the vegetables or condiments, go right ahead. Serve this hot, as soon as it is done, and enjoy the delicious Indonesian flavors.
- 1 cup (200g) uncooked white rice
- 2 cups (1 pint) cold water
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 4 sliced button mushrooms
- ½ sliced carrot
- ½ lb (225g) thinly sliced skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- ½ lb (225g) peeled, deveined shrimp
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 chopped green chilies
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- Handful green peas (optional)
- Put the rice in a pot and add the water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then turn the heat down and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Spread it over a baking sheet and chill for 2 hours or until cold.
- Alternatively you can use leftover cooked rice instead of doing the above (eyeball it and use enough for 4 servings).
- Heat a wok over a moderate heat and add ½ tablespoon of oil.
- Pour the eggs in there and cook for 1 minute or until they start to set, lifting the edges for even cooking.
- Flip the omelet and cook another 30 seconds or until cooked, then slice into ½ inch (1 cm) strips and put it to one side.
- Heat the rest of the oil in the wok over a high heat, then add the onion, garlic, carrot, chilies and mushrooms.
- Cook for 4 minutes or until the onion is tender.
- Add the shrimp, chicken, cumin and coriander.
- Add some peas too, if using.
- Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Mix in the cold rice, sweet soy sauce and reserved omelet slices.
- Cook for another 5 minutes or until the chicken and shrimp are cooked through.
Serve with extra ketcap manis on the side and maybe regular soy sauce too, so people can add some more if they wish.
This is really good with prawn crackers too.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Mexican Cocktail Nachos RecipeThese Mexican cocktail nachos are a great starter if you are having a Mexican main course and they also make a nice snack at a cocktail party. You can easily double the amount of ingredients in this Mexican starter recipe if you want to make more. Different Types of Nachos Nachos come in many styles. Personally I like mine with lashings of guacamole, salsa and sour cream, beef ladled on top, black olives, jalapenos, cheese and more. Well, I like ‘everything’ nachos. It is perhaps easier to explain that way. If you want a simpler recipe though, with the cheese and japalenos standing out, then choose this Mexican cocktail nachos .....
- Cat Behavior ExplainedOur furry feline friends have some fascinating behavioral habits which might be confusing to their owners but they do have explanatory reasons. Why do cats purr for example? Does it mean they are happy and content? Here is a look at some of the more common feline behaviors so you can consider at least some cat behavior explained. Cat Behavior: Why Do Cats Purr? Cats use purring as a communication device. A cat will purr when something makes them feel happy, comfortable or safe. A kitten and its mother often purr together as a sign of comfort and being relaxed and the kitten will continue the purring behavior throughout its life. It has also .....
- Beef and Carrot CrackslawCarrots have more carbs than a lot of other vegetables, so you would not want to make this beef and carrot crackslaw recipe on Atkins Induction, for example, but if you like the sweetness of carrots, then perhaps you will love this recipe, because the carrots are particularly nice with the beef, onions and Chinese seasonings. This crack slaw recipe is full of flavor. To cut some of the carbs, if you want to do that, swap half the carrots for shredded cabbage, or else you might like to throw in some mushrooms (Chinese mushrooms or just button ones) if you prefer. Which Order to Cook the Ingredients In Although you can make this beef and .....
- Super Low Calorie Cajun Lime Stir FryLow in calories yet sky-high in flavor, this low calorie Cajun lime stir fry is something you will want to make regularly. Vegetables such as bell peppers, celery, carrot and mushrooms are combined with tomato concentrate, Cajun seasoning and lime juice to make a simple yet wonderfully flavored dish. Work out the calories and it is only about 100, which is very low indeed. The bell peppers are the main ingredient in this low calorie Cajun lime stir fry, supported by the other veggies, but you can swap the vegetables for others if you wish. Broccoli, zucchini and okra would all work in our low calorie Cajun lime stir fry recipe. The sauce is .....
- Fun Facts About WontonsLet’s have a look at some fun facts about wontons. Did you know that the word wonton comes from Cantonese, not Mandarin? These tasty little dumplings are believed to have been introduced to the West by early Chinatown settlers from Canton, Southern China. Wonton literally means “swallowing clouds” in Chinese. Cantonese ones are wrapped in a yellow wrapper made from egg and flour. They often contain shrimp and ground pork. The broth is often made from shrimp shells and other flavorful ingredients. What are some other fun facts about wontons? In Shanghai the wrapping is flour-based and thicker and whiter than in Canton. The filling will .....
- Chilled Cherry Soup RecipeThe following chilled cherry soup recipe features lemon and cinnamon to highlight the wonderful cherry flavor and lend a gourmet touch to this soup, while the flour thickens it up a bit and the sour cream adds a nice tang. A Starter or a Dessert This chilled cherry soup recipe would be excellent served as a starter recipe or for dessert, whichever you like. It is light enough not to fill people too much before their main course, which is always something you want from starters. What is the point of filling people up so much they don’t want their main course! You won’t have that problem here. The chilled cherry soup recipe is .....
- Best Starter Recipes with PineapplePineapple is more than just a fruit and more than merely a dessert ingredient. You can make starter recipes (as they are called in the UK) or appetizers (as those of you in the US and Canada will know them) with pineapple because its sweet flavor contrasts beautifully with savory flavors like cheese, bacon, or chicken. There are starter recipes with pineapple for all occasions. Why not serve a fruit salad or pineapple sorbet – who’s to say an appetizer has to be savory Pineapples are an excellent fruit to include in the family’s diet, and you will all benefit from having this delicious food daily. This tropical fruit has a .....
- Classic Prawn CocktailThis classic prawn cocktail recipe combines succulent Atlantic prawns with a homemade Marie Rose sauce and more. Shell-on prawns are the best variety to use for both texture and flavor. Classic Prawn Cocktail: Tips for the Prawns You can make a nice risotto stock from the shells after peeling them too. Most Atlantic prawns are sold cooked and frozen and the best way to defrost them is to leave the in the fridge for several hours. Don’t defrost them in water because they will lose some of their flavour. When you peel them, you should split them almost in half through their backs and remove the bitter dark vein running through them. This .....
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot BBQ BeefI often make this dish because it is so simple, and all you need to make it are 2 ingredients – beef and BBQ sauce. Any tough cut of beef which needs to be braised or slow cooked will work, so opt for braising or stewing steak, or something like skirt or flank. You will also need a crockpot and it is up to you whether you want to cook this 2 ingredient crockpot BBQ beef recipe on high, medium or low. How Long Should 2 Ingredient Crockpot BBQ Beef Cook? Use high and the beef will be done in about 5 hours. Double that for low, and guess somewhere in between the 2 for medium. Of course, the exact time depends on your crockpot and the meat .....
- School Backpacks for GirlsSchool backpacks for girls come in a huge array of different styles, colors and designs, which will ensure that you can choose a style that your little girl will love. There are several different elements that you need to consider before purchasing the backpack. These include the durability, price, style and versatility of the backpack. The age of your child will often determine the size of backpack that you need to choose, as older children will need larger bags to carry books and materials. You will be amazed at the amount of equipment which your child will need for school. However, you should not expect your child to lift a backpack that .....