Authentic Nasi Goreng Recipe
Nasi goreng means ‘fried rice’ in Indonesian as well as Malay, and it can be fried rice, a meal with stir-fried rice, or a salted dried fish mixture with rice. The main ingredient in an authentic nasi goreng recipe is always the rice, so if you are looking for something to make with leftover rice, keep reading and discover this wonderful Indonesian dish.
Authentic Nasi Goreng Recipe Ingredients
Known as the national dish of Indonesia, the best nasi goreng recipe is whichever mixture you like, perhaps rice with kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), egg, chicken, shrimp, garlic, and shallot, or perhaps you favor mushrooms and peas, or even beef and chilies.
Take a look in the refrigerator and cupboards before making an authentic nasi goreng recipe. If you have rice and some kind of vegetables you can make this. You can even switch the seasonings to make it fit what you have. There is no set recipe because it is a dish of various leftovers.
Beginning life similar to Chinese fried rice – a good way to use up leftover cooked rice – it was discovered that frying it could kill any microbes (which was important before the days of refrigeration). Nasi goreng is traditionally made from rice leftover from the evening before, and served for breakfast in Indonesia, although in the West we tend to prefer rice-based recipes for lunch or as an evening meal.
What Else is in an Authentic Nasi Goreng Recipe?
In addition to the rice, you will find ingredients like chicken or beef scraps, tomato, peppers, chili and shallots. It might have originated from Southern Chinese fried rice because other Indonesian dishes are similar to Chinese ones, a good example being mie goreng, which is fried noodles.
You will find nasi goreng all over Indonesia as well as Singapore and Malaysia, and it is also popular in the Netherlands because of colonial ties with Indonesia. You can even find it frozen in 7-Eleven and other convenience stores, but for the best nasi goreng authentic recipe, nothing beats making your own. That applies to most recipes actually!
Why Nasi Goreng is So Distinctive
What is kecap manis? Well, it is spicier, thicker and stronger than regular soy sauce but otherwise similar. You can use regular soy sauce if you can’t find kecap manis.
An authentic nasi goreng recipe is often served wtih fried onions, fried shallots and/or crispy prawn crackers to offer a texture contrast.
In addition to the above-mentioned ingredients many nasi goreng recipes feature shrimp paste, black pepper, eggs, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, nutmeg, green onions, salt, and/or fish sauce, depending on what the cook likes and/or has on hand.
Every recipe is different because in Indonesia it is made with the leftovers of the previous evening’s meal, so it depends what was left over, then herbs and spices are selected to complement the other ingredients in the dish.
You will need to use leftover cooked rice to make an authentic nasi goreng recipe because freshly cooked rice is too moist and soft and you will end up with a mushy texture if you try using it. It is possible to cook the rice ahead if you then let it chill for 2 hours before using, so the texture is right.
Other Types of Nasi Goreng
You will find this dish served in Asian fusion restaurants as well as in Indonesian restaurants all over the globe. It might be served with chicken or pork satay skewers, eggs (in fried, boiled or sliced omelet form), mixed vegetables, or other meats or fish. It is often sold with meatball noodles when you buy it from street vendors, and you might get a pickle with it too.
Nasi goreng is a popular dish in the Netherlands because of Indonesian colonial ties. There are plenty of Indonesian restaurants in the Netherlands which are owned and run by Indonesian migrants and their family, and you can also get take-out style nasi goreng in the grocery stores, along with the prawn crackers and other condiments to go with it. In Flanders, Belgium, the term nasi goreng (or simply nasi) applies to any fried rice dish.
Our authentic nasi goreng recipe is tweak-able so if you want to swap the chicken and shrimp for other proteins, or make it vegetarian, or swap any of the vegetables or condiments, go right ahead. Serve this hot, as soon as it is done, and enjoy the delicious Indonesian flavors.
- 1 cup (200g) uncooked white rice
- 2 cups (1 pint) cold water
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 4 sliced button mushrooms
- ½ sliced carrot
- ½ lb (225g) thinly sliced skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- ½ lb (225g) peeled, deveined shrimp
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 chopped green chilies
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- Handful green peas (optional)
- Put the rice in a pot and add the water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then turn the heat down and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Spread it over a baking sheet and chill for 2 hours or until cold.
- Alternatively you can use leftover cooked rice instead of doing the above (eyeball it and use enough for 4 servings).
- Heat a wok over a moderate heat and add ½ tablespoon of oil.
- Pour the eggs in there and cook for 1 minute or until they start to set, lifting the edges for even cooking.
- Flip the omelet and cook another 30 seconds or until cooked, then slice into ½ inch (1 cm) strips and put it to one side.
- Heat the rest of the oil in the wok over a high heat, then add the onion, garlic, carrot, chilies and mushrooms.
- Cook for 4 minutes or until the onion is tender.
- Add the shrimp, chicken, cumin and coriander.
- Add some peas too, if using.
- Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Mix in the cold rice, sweet soy sauce and reserved omelet slices.
- Cook for another 5 minutes or until the chicken and shrimp are cooked through.
Serve with extra ketcap manis on the side and maybe regular soy sauce too, so people can add some more if they wish.
This is really good with prawn crackers too.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Kitchen Cookware Every Home Cook NeedsKitchen cookware means different kinds of pots and pans which you use for different things. Some cookware items can be substituted for things you don’t have and still do the job. You can get stainless steel cookware, induction cookware, professional cookware, extra safe cookware and Indian cookware including Benglali cookware to improve your culinary experience. Choose from cookware in different sizes and made of different materials, such as glass, aluminium, steel etc. Some materials are better than others for different purposes. Before buying any kitchen cookware though, you should consider a few things. Budget First of all, what is .....
- Sweet and Sour Sesame Chicken WingsChicken wings are always a good choice because they are full of flavor and nice to pick up and eat with the fingers. This sweet and sour sesame chicken wings recipe adds an Asian spin to the chicken, offering a wonderful sweet and sour flavor which you will love. There are different ways to cook chicken wings. You might want to deep fry them with or without a coating, pan fry them, grill them, or even bake them in the oven. The chicken wings in this recipe are flavored and then baked in the oven until they are crispy and perfectly cooked. These sweet and sour sesame chicken wings are unique. The chicken wings are flavored with garlic and .....
- How to Cook Fresh MusselsLearn how to cook fresh mussels and you will be able to prepare this delicious seafood whenever you’re in the mood. Mussels can be purchased or you can pick your own, depending of course where you live. If you are collecting your own then ensure the water is unpolluted. Mussels are nicer during the colder months which are not in the breeding season. If you are shopping for them, then shop around and choose ones with tightly closed shells. When cooked, you will want juicy, plump flesh and the taste of the sea. Mussels are white if male and orange if female, so color does not indicate freshness. Knowing how to cook fresh mussels means .....
- Hot Honey and Lemon Drink for the FluNobody likes to be suffering with a cold or the flu but if you are unfortunate enough to have it, then the good news is there is a wonderful hot honey and lemon drink for the flu you can make yourself quickly and easily, which will help you feel better. All you need are honey and lemon to make this hot honey and lemon drink for the flu, as well as some hot water, so while the kettle is coming to a boil, you can squeeze some fresh lemon juice. If you don’t have any lemons then squeezy lemon juice will do at a pinch. You might also want to add some whiskey, brandy or your favorite liquor. Although this does not do much for your cold or .....
- Aberdeen Sausage Starter RecipeThis Aberdeen sausage starter recipe is a very delicious dish that carnivores will love. Beef and bacon are combined with the delicious flavors of Worcestershire sauce, parsley, oats, onion and more to give a delicious starter recipe which can be sliced up and served piping hot or warm from the oven, as you wish. Easy and Tasty This Aberdeen sausage starter recipe is not difficult at all and you will enjoy the flavours in it, especially if you are a sausage fan. Homemade sausages are not something a lot of home cooks make but if you are having guest for dinner and you are out to impress, you could do a lot worse than this recipe, and you .....
- Choosing Kitchen Cabinets and CountersThe kitchen is the heart of the house, so choosing kitchen cabinets and counters is something you ought to take your time doing. This room is where you make delicious meals, congregate during parties and get the family together for a relaxing dinner. But even though you might have all the best kitchen gadgets, your kitchen cabinets and kitchen counters might need replacing. Why Replace Them Anyway Perhaps your cabinets are too small or they do not match the rest of the kitchen, which is why you are choosing kitchen cabinets and counters. Before you rush out to buy new ones, there are a few things to think about. How many cabinets do you need .....
- How to Cook Quail EggsA quail egg can be compared to a chicken egg except of course it’s a lot smaller! Because of this size, quail eggs make a nice garnish, an elegant garnish even, for all kinds of meat, poultry, fish or vegetable-based dishes. As you might imagine, it doesn’t take as long to cook this tiny egg as it would to cook a chicken egg. But knowing how to cook quail eggs is, of course, vital. How Long to Cook Quail Eggs? These pretty little speckled eggs will be soft-boiled in 2 1/2 minutes, medium-boiled in 3 minutes or hard-boiled in 4 minutes. Compare that to chicken’s eggs which can take up to 15 minutes to hard-boil and you will .....
- Authentic Egg Fried Rice without Soy SauceEgg fried rice without soy sauce is a dish lots of people want to make but since soy sauce is one of the key ingredients it can be puzzling working out how to get around that. Fried rice is one of the best-known Chinese dishes, but the authentic recipe is quite different to what you might be used to. For example, have you tried making egg fried rice without soy sauce? That is how it is made in China, well in many parts of the country, and the more authentic option in many cases. Egg Fried Rice without Soy Sauce: Such a Tempting Dish to Make Egg fried rice is the dish to make when you want to use leftovers to rustle up something quick and .....
- Cream of Spinach SoupThis cream of spinach soup is comparable to a vichyssoise which is a creamy French potato soup but adding spinach gives it a different flavor, as well as a distinctive color. This is lovely served with crackers or just with some bread on the side. The flavor is magnificent and this is one of the best things you can do with spinach. An immersion blender is handy when making this cream of spinach soup because you can avoid pureeing it in batches in the blender, but if you don’t have one, that doesn’t matter too much. Use fresh spinach in this cream of spinach soup recipe so you get the lovely fresh flavor. This makes a nice .....
- Easy Baked Chicken LegsIf you have some chicken legs, or chicken leg quarters, in other words the thigh and drumstick attached, then you might be wondering how to cook them. I love to make easy baked chicken legs regularly. The good news is this cut of chicken is not only economical but filling, tasty (because it is higher in fat than the chicken breast) and easy to cook. Although you can slow cook chicken legs, I nearly always bake them in the oven because this gets the skin really crisp, and that’s the best bit! How to Get Chicken Skin Crispy on Easy Baked Chicken Legs You will need to add salt plus some kind of fat to get the skin to crisp up. This .....