Best Eggplant Gratin
Eggplant has a unique flavor and it works really well as a gratin, when you add a crispy crumb topping and get it really crispy and golden brown. This eggplant gratin could be a side dish for chicken, fish, meat, or even a vegetarian entree served with bread or another starch on the side.
Tasty Versatile Eggplant Gratin
Eggplant, known as aubergine in some places, is easy to find, and you can do plenty with it such as making the classic dish moussaka, in which it is layered with ground meat, or you can batter it and deep-fry it for a crispy snack, or even take a look at the following eggplant gratin recipe and discover this brand new idea for eggplant.
How to Make Gratin Eggplant
The first thing to do is cook your eggplant slices and this can be done on the stove or in the oven if you prefer. Maybe you have some leftover slices from a recent cookout and then you can expect a nice smoky flavor too! Cook it in batches and then you can proceed with the recipe.
Ricotta, egg, cream, and Parmesan combine to make a lovely, creamy sauce. The eggplant is then layered with this creamy sauce and also some marinara or tomato sauce, and then the layers are repeated. You don’t have to be too neat with the layers in this eggplant gratin. You can give it a rustic touch if you like.
Finish with Parmesan cheese, and then bake until the topping is crispy and the creamy custard-like layer is set. This will be piping hot when it comes out of the oven so let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes before serving if you like.
You can either make this in a pair of individual gratin dishes or one large one. It just depends what you have. If you don’t have one, use a shallow pie-dish or similar, another which will hold the layers and be the right size for this recipe. Double the recipe if you want (and use a larger dish!)
How to Make Eggplant Less Bitter
Some people dislike the slight bitter flavor from eggplant while others say they cannot taste it. If it is an issue for you, it is really easy to fix. You can get rid of the flavor and still enjoy the eggplant gratin. Just put the eggplant slices in a colander, sprinkle plenty of salt over them and let them sit for half an hour, then rinse all the salt off.
The salt will draw that bitter flavor out and you will see droplets form on the eggplant slices. Another way is to freeze the slices but this makes them mushier so I prefer the first method.
- ¾ lb (340g) unpeeled eggplant, in ½-inch (1.5cm) slices
- ¼ cup (25g) ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup (60ml) Half & Half (or half milk and half thick cream)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup (50g) plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan
- ½ cup (60ml) marinara or tomato sauce
- Olive oil, for frying
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F or 200 degrees C.
- Heat ⅛-inch (3mm) of oil in a big skillet over a medium heat.
- When it is nearly smoking, add some slices of eggplant and cook, turning once, until they are browned on each side and cooked through, watching out for splatters.
- This should take 5 minutes or so.
- If you prefer, you can bake the eggplant.
- Let the cooked eggplant slices drain on paper towels.
- Put more oil in the skillet, heat it up, then add more eggplant slices until they are all cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the ricotta with the egg, Half & Half, ¼ cup of the parmesan, and a small pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Arrange a layer of eggplant slices in each of 2 gratin dishes.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and a little salt and pepper.
- Spoon in ½ of the marinara or tomato sauce.
- Add a second layer of eggplant, another pinch of salt and pepper, half the ricotta mixture, and then a tablespoon of grated parmesan on top.
- Put both gratins on a baking sheet and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the top is browned.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil before serving if you like, for a nice splash of color.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Cream Cheese Wonton Ideas and Chinese Dumplings and Soft WontonsThe most important part of your cabbage soup is, of course, the cabbage. You can get cabbage year-round and this vegetable weighs between one and seven pounds. Choose a cabbage with a big, compact head, and tender green leaves which do not show insect damage or holes. Fresh cabbage has plenty of outer leaves and greengrocers peel these off as the cabbage ages. Consider cream cheese wonton ideas. Cream cheese goes with cabbage really well (and seafood too!) Check the bottom of the cabbage before buying it, to check the leaves are not coming off the stem. If they are, that means the cabbage is old. Savoy cabbages are lighter for their size .....
- Beef and Avocado Wrap with Horseradish DressingIf you are looking for brand new lunch ideas, this beef and avocado wrap is certainly deserving of your consideration. Teaming juicy roast beef with fresh avocado and a homemade horseradish dressing, this is just so good. I had some deli beef and a tortilla in the refrigerator and decided to make a horseradish dressing rather than just spooning in some of the horseradish sauce. I also had half an avocado left over from some tortilla pizzas I made last night, so threw that in there too. The resulting beef and avocado wrap sandwich was amazing and I immediately went out and made another! Variations and Tweaks for a Beef and Avocado Wrap You .....
- Traditional Greek Salad RecipeGreek salad is one of the most popular kinds, which is why most people have a good idea of what goes in there. Our traditional Greek salad recipe is simple to put together and you will recognize all the wonderful Mediterranean flavors in there. Feta cheese, olives, cucumber and tomatoes usually feature in this salad, but how do you make Greek dressing to finish it off in style, so you can close your eyes and imagine you are sitting by the ocean on a Greek beach? Read on and discover how to make our tasty and traditional Greek salad. This traditional Greek salad recipe is very simple and suitable for even novice home cooks. Sometimes I like .....
- Best Beer Brewing SystemsBrewing systems come in different shapes and sizes, so you can choose whatever of the best beer brewing systems is best for you. This device will allow you to make your own beer or other drinks at home without having to lift heavy brew kettles. You can choose from beer, wine, cider, mead, and other drinks using the process of fermentation. You can make non-alcoholic or alcoholic drinks with these systems. It’s Legal, Right? Well, the legality of home brewing does vary from place to place, although it has been done in various places all over the globe for over 7000 years. If you fancy making your own beer, why not have a look at some of .....
- Szechuan Quorn Crackslaw with Peanut ButterThis lovely recipe blends Quorn (a vegetarian alternative to ground meat) with vegetables, peanut butter and other Asian seasonings to make the most delicious quorn crackslaw stir fry you can imagine. Make it as simple or as spicy as you wish. Whether quorn crackslaw is a new concept to you or you are just seeking other recipes for this dish, this one is worthy of your consideration. Also known as veggie crack, this vegetable crack slaw recipe is addictive because of the wonderful flavors, but feel free to indulge because it’s super low in carbs! Szechuan Crack Slaw Stir Fry It is your choice how to prepare the vegetables for this dish .....
- How to Cook Quinoa on the StoveQuinoa is quickly becoming a popular food in America and throughout the world. The fast spread of this low-fat superfood grain has led to people wondering how to cook it at home. Chances are you’ve probably eaten it at a restaurant or at a friend’s house. Now you’re wanting to know how to cook this amazingly tasty food for you and your family and you want to know how to cook quinoa on the stove. The good news is that quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is really easy to cook at home. It’s certainly no more difficult to cook than rice or buckwheat, which is good news for all of you that want a taste of this superfood without having to pay the high .....
- Easy 3 Ingredient RecipesThere are easy 3 ingredient recipes for every occasion, season and palate. Perhaps you are in the mood to make a hearty meat dinner or something fancy with fish. It could be that you are looking for easy 3 ingredient recipes for the crockpot because you are going to be out all day and you know you’ll get home late and want to eat dinner and fall into a comfy chair in front of the TV with something already made. Or what about making three ingredient sauces or dips for your meat, fish or chips? Some of our drinks recipes are sure to tempt you too. There are recipes for every skill level, whether you have barely set food in the kitchen .....
- Cheese Baked OmeletThere are lots of egg recipes to choose from if you want to enjoy eggs for breakfast, and this delicious, filling ingredient can be prepared in various ways. This cheese baked omelet is just one of your options. Boiled, scrambled or fried eggs are always good, or you can make an omelet, either conventionally on the stove, or, if your stove is crowded with other breakfast delights such as bacon, sausage and mushrooms being fried, you can make an omelet in the oven. Keep things easy using just eggs, milk or cream and a little onion to give the omelet some crunch. You can also add extra vegetables like bell pepper, mushrooms or even some .....
- Beef and Cheese Stuffed Bell PeppersYou will find these beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers to be really filling. If you are not sure that one stuffed bell pepper is going to be sufficient for your meal, don’t worry, because it will be! I love making beef and cheese stuffed bell peppers. Sometimes I use a rice based stuffing but the beef and cheese option is also very nice. It is filling and if you are keeping an eye on your carbs then that is another reason to make these. Stuffed peppers look attractive and while some people throw the top away I like to cook it in the baking pan with the stuffed peppers and then put it back on at the end. I just like the presentation .....
- Reliable Printers Under $100Look at these cheap and reliable printers under $100. All of them are under $100 and some under $50. A low-cost one is a great investment and you can get discounted top brands which will last for a long time. Hewlett-Packard, Epson, Canon and Brother are just some of the names to look out for. The most obvious reason to make an economical choice is that you will save money. Another good reason is that you can get just as good a one for $100 as you can for $200. Some are even cheaper than that. What Do You Need If you want an all-singing, all-dancing machine which will print photograph-quality shots, receive WiFi instructions so you can print .....