Cauli Rice with Orange, Lime and Cilantro
Cauliflower rice, or cauli rice as it is affectionately known, is a wonderful substitute for rice, offering a mere fraction of the calories and carbs or rice, yet offering a very similar texture and a neutral flavor. You can do so much with it and there are plenty of cauliflower rice recipes to choose from. This cauli rice with orange, lime and cilantro recipe is easy to prepare and it’s yummy!
I like to use a medium or strong-flavored sauce to disguise the cauliflower flavor – not that cauliflower has much of a taste at all, but just to make it as rice-like as possible. Try Chinese rice with cauliflower instead of rice, or consider Mexican cauli rice or Italian flavors.
It is easy to prepare this cauli rice with orange, lime and cilantro recipe if you have a food processor. Simply break a fresh cauliflower into florets and whiz them in the food processor until rice grain-sized. If you don’t have a food processor that is okay, just use a cheese grater instead. It will take longer and you will get a similar result.
Although Chinese egg fried cauli rice is the one I make the most, I wanted to come up with something which would be good with peri peri chicken, contrasting with the spice. Hence this cauli rice with orange, lime and cilantro recipe.
Peri peri chicken is hot and spicy, so you will want to serve it with something cool and refreshing. I like to make this orange cilantro cauliflower rice to go with it, and also offer tzatziki (cucumber and mint yogurt) on the side to further cut down on the spice and balance out the meal.
Making the Sauce
The first thing you need to do is mix the cilantro, orange and lime juice in a food processor. I have a mini food processor which does the job perfectly. This is going in with the cauli rice to add a citrusy, zesty, herby flavor, which will be great with the chicken or whatever else you are serving it with.
Preparing the Cauliflower
Next you need to get the cauliflower into rice grain-sized pieces. Cut it or snap it into florets and then put them in the food processor and hit ‘pulse’ until you have rice-sized grains. It’s not going to be exactly the same texture as rice but the food processor certainly makes quick work of it.
I find with mine that if I don’t break the florets small enough the food processor doesn’t break them down properly, so make small-ish florets and you should be fine.
You might need to stop every now and then to scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl with a rubber spatula, so you get most of the pieces the same size.
Get the Aromatics Ready
Now you need to saute the aromatics. Onion and garlic are great here. You put them in a wok or skillet and cook them until tender and aromatic.
Don’t go for golden brown or beyond here. You want them soft and tender, not charred. It will affect the quality of the finished cauli rice with orange, lime and cilantro recipe.
The purpose of aromatics is to add the undertones to the cauli rice recipe, so you will be able to taste a hint of garlic and onion in every mouthful of the finished cauliflower rice. Cook them in plenty of oil, and use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to keep the onion and garlic moving as they cook. This point in the recipe is when everything starts to smell amazing. Few things smell as incredible as garlic and onion cooking together!
Bring Everything Together
Now it’s time to add the cauliflower and other ingredients to your wok and skillet. Keep everything moving as it cooks. You can taste a bit of the rice from time to time, to see how cooked it is.
The best way to serve a cauli rice recipe is al dente, which means partway between raw and soft. Some people like it softer so the best way is to taste as you go and stop cooking when you like the texture and flavor of it.
You want the cauliflower to have a bit of ‘bite’ to it, so just keep tasting a little bit every now and then (and keep stirring the mixture often, or all the time) to see when it is ready. If you are serving chicken or duck or something else with the cauli rice, it should be cooking at the same time. Count on the cauli rice taking about 20 minutes (including when you saute the aromatics) in all, and base the cooking time of the meat on that.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, broken into small florets
- ½ chopped yellow onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Oil, as needed
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of ½ tangerine (or ¼ orange)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Small handful unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
- A few raisins and/or pine nuts (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Small handful finely chopped cilantro (fresh coriander leaves)
- Pulse the cauliflower florets in a food processor until rice grain-sized.
- Saute the onion and garlic in some oil in a wok or pan until tender.
- Now add the cauliflower.
- Pour in the lime and tangerine juices.
- Add the cumin and coconut flakes (if using).
- You can also add some raisins and/or pine nuts here.
- Grind in some salt and black pepper.
- Keep sauteing, and moving everything around with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- The cauli rice is done when it has a bit of a 'bite' to it.
- Add the cilantro (fresh coriander) and cook for 1 minute more, then serve.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Delicious Curried Deviled EggsDeviled eggs make a nice dish before any main course or you can serve them at a buffet or party. Curried deviled eggs are especially nice and the curry flavor goes really well with the egg taste. You can add a bit of sweet relish or minced sun-dried tomatoes too if you want to. You might also want to add a couple of drops of Tabasco sauce or a bit of Dijon mustard to spice this deviled eggs recipe up. If you prefer plain deviled eggs, just leave out the curry powder and green onions. Most people will prefer the eggs slightly curried though. More Tips for Curried Deviled Eggs If you don’t have a piping bag to pipe the egg yolk filling .....
- Can You Freeze Wonton Wrappers – Freeze WontonsA lot of people wonder can you freeze wonton wrappers? The answer is yes you can freeze wonton wrappers (and you can also buy them frozen). The problem is if you freeze a pack of 50 wrappers and only want to make 10 wontons, how do you pull them apart? From trial and error, I have found that if you let the package thaw at room temperature until you can peel a few off the top without breaking any, then pop the unused ones back in the freezer, that works well. Alternatively you can thaw them all, make wontons and then freeze the wontons. It all depends on the wonton recipe you want to make, but sometimes if you are taking the trouble to make .....
- Easy Sukiyaki RecipeOne of my favorite Japanese dishes has to be sukiyaki. This is similar to shabu-shabu, and is a hot pot style dish with thinly sliced beef and vegetables in a sweet, tangy sauce. You can also get vegetarian sukiyaki recipes. This versatile and easy sukiyaki recipe is perfect for cool winter evenings, and you can present or even cook it in a pot in the middle of the dinner table. The ingredients are usually dipped into raw, beaten eggs before being eaten, although this is not so prevalent outside Japan. An easy sukiyaki recipe is usually a winter dish in Japan, often served at year-end parties. Thinly sliced beef is usually the meat that goes .....
- How to Freeze CornIf you have a lot of corn to use up, it might be better to freeze some of it. If you have ever bought frozen corn and used it in meals you will know that the texture is good. Thawed corn kernels and canned ones have a very similar texture actually. Knowing how to freeze corn is very helpful because if you eat corn it’s likely you will want to freeze some at some point. You can freeze cooked corn easily. I often use corn in pasta recipes and freeze the leftovers. These meals are fine when they thaw out. If I am planning to freeze a pasta meal then I choose not to add cream, eggs or anything else that won’t freeze well as part of .....
- Rune Stones – A Beginner’s GuideWhat are rune stones? Well, rune stones, or runes as they are also known, are a system of communication, decision making and divination. There are 24 runes in a set and they are like an alphabet of the North and North Central Europe. To Buy or Make Rune Stones You can buy runes from New Age shops or online, but a lot of people like to make their own, and you can use stones or discs made from wood. Rune stones are often engraved but some are painted or drawn on instead. One way to make your own runes would be to find 24 similar size pebbles or cut 24 discs out of wood, and write on each one with a black marker pen......
- Tasty Ideas for Wonton SoupSo let’s assume you enjoy wonton soup and you have made a couple of different kinds already. What now? How do you play around with wonton soup recipes to come up with your own unique types? How do you come up with ideas for wonton soup if you want to tweak the recipe a little? First of all, you will need to be creative but you also have a lot of leeway when it comes to choosing flavors and ingredients because you can use pretty much any kind of meat, poultry, fish, seafood or vegetables for making wonton soup. The broth itself should be clear but you can add garnishes or flavors to it. Ideas for Wonton Soup: Wonton Broth Tips Wontons .....
- Healthy Banana and Carrot CurrySometimes the best recipes are the simplest, and it is a myth you have to use lots of different ingredients to make a nice curry recipe. Take the following healthy banana and carrot curry recipe for example. The main ingredients are carrots, banana and onion, and the sauce is made with curry powder, orange juice and a splash of yogurt. Use fat-free yogurt and you can see how healthy and low in both fat and calories this banana and carrot curry recipe is. Serve this banana and carrot curry with rice or naan bread or keep things healthy and have a chapatti bread with some raita (cucumber, yogurt and mint dressing) on the side. Perhaps you have .....
- Hummus Recipe No TahiniYou can make a perfectly delicious hummus recipe no tahini in a couple of minutes. In fact a hummus recipe without tahini is just as good as the traditional kind. However you choose to enjoy your hummus – served as a dip with breadsticks or veggie crudites, or paired with homemade falafel in pita bread, you will love this version. As well as the chickpeas, which are also known as garbanzo beans, you are going to need oil, garlic, lemon, cumin and salt. Those ingredients will help you get the right hummus recipe no tahini texture along with the perfect flavor. You might want to thin it with a bit more water and/or add more salt to get .....
- How to Make Wontons Like a ProThe first thing you need to do when making wontons is familiarize yourself with how these bite-sized treats are made, and find out what you need to make wontons. Knowing how to make wontons doesn’t require a whole lot of training. Practice makes perfect and really, it’s easy! You also need to decide what type of wonton recipe you wish to prepare. Do you want to make a classic wonton soup recipe or would you like to start off with baked wontons or fried ones? You can even steam them if you have a bamboo steamer and you want a softer texture. Once you have found a good recipe for your wonton filling, you can assemble your wontons .....
- Chili with Baked PotatoChili is always good, especially when served on a baked potato with some grated cheese on top, and perhaps also some sour cream or guacamole if you like it. Try chili with baked potato for lunch and see how satisfying this dish is. Chili is versatile enough to be tweaked a lot, so not only can you choose how spicy you want it but you can also choose the ingredients which go in there, such as kidney beans or another kind of bean, garlic, even some grated Mexican chocolate or cocoa powder if you wish. This recipe shows you how to make a simple chili con carne recipe using ingredients guaranteed to come together seamlessly and offer an .....