Easy Creamed Spinach Recipe
Creamed spinach makes a lovely side dish and it is very easy to prepare. Try out this easy creamed spinach recipe if you want to make your own from scratch. It really is good. Grab a bag of spinach and then just add some cream cheese and seasonings. The recipe also features some optional ingredients so you can ensure your creamed spinach comes out perfectly for your palate.
I usually buy the unwashed spinach and soak the leaves in cold water for a few minutes but you can also get pre-washed fresh spinach.
Do use fresh spinach for this recipe for the brightest color and freshest flavor. I haven’t made this with the frozen kind but I probably wouldn’t. This easy creamed spinach recipe goes with anything, especially a delicious marinated T-bone or ribeye steak. Remember the baked potato or mac ‘n cheese on the side as well.
Easy Creamed Spinach Recipe: Preparing the Spinach
Some people pick out the stalks but I don’t bother with that. I just add the whole bagful of spinach to the pot. It cooks down fast so even if you use a huge pot you will end up with a small mound of creamed spinach.
All you need to do is give it a soak in cold water to remove any bits of grit or dirt, then add it straight to the pan with the water still clinging to it. The water helps it wilt. If you are adding dry, ready-washed spinach, add a tablespoon of water too.
- 12 oz fresh large spinach leaves
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- ¼ chopped onion (optional)
- 1 minced garlic clove (optional)
- Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Wash the spinach in cold water unless it is pre-washed.
- Fry the onion and garlic in the butter or oil for a few minutes, if using.
- Add the spinach to the pot and put the lid on.
- If you are not using onion and garlic, add a little water or oil to the pan.
- Turn the heat quite low and just let the spinach cook down.
- You can stir it occasionally if you wish.
- Once it has wilted, you can stir in the cream cheese and also add salt and pepper to taste.
- A pinch of nutmeg is also nice.
Keep this warm in a warmed oven if it is ready before you need it.