Monterey Style Sweet Corn Recipe
Corn is always good especially when you cook the fresh kind and slice it off the cob in sweet, juicy slices. I love this Monterey style sweet corn recipe as a side dish because it seems to complement just about everything from chicken or seafood to steak or game meats.
Why You Should Make This Monterey Style Sweet Corn Recipe
This dish is easy to prepare, attractively bright colored and is sure to appeal to even the youngest members of the family – those who are normally picky about vegetable-based sides!
I find about a tablespoon of jalapeno enough to give the the Monterey style sweet corn a bit of a bite, but of course some people prefer to add more while others want to omit all traces of spice from their food, so you be the judge here and adapt it to suit your own palate.
If you need to rustle this up in a hurry, you could use well-drained canned corn but honestly that doesn’t really do this south of the border inspired dish justice, so get some fresh ears of corn and make it from scratch. That way you will have a real explosion of flavor in your mouth with every mouthful.
This reheats nicely (a minute in the microwave will do it) so perhaps make a batch of this and enjoy it the next couple of days too. You can also eat it cold alongside deli meats if you want, or with a green salad.
- 2 ears of corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (fresh coriander)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions (spring onions)
- 1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded cotija cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Blanch the whole ears of corn in boiling, salted water for 5 minutes.
- Drain and allow to cool.
- Now cut the corn off cobs in long, wide strips.
- Melt the butter in a skillet.
- Add the green onions, jalapeños and red peppers.
- Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the corn.
- Toss and season with salt.
- Now you can sprinkle with cilantro and cotija cheese, then serve..
Some More Hot Content For You
- 12 Simple Indian Recipes for BeginnersIndian is one of my favorite cuisines and I just love the food. I have traveled around India and tasted the dishes how they are supposed to be made, because westernized Indian food really isn’t the same at all. I like to make simple Indian recipes for beginners because I just love the flavors but don’t have all day to cook. Indian food features all kinds of proteins from pork to chicken, fish, seafood, lamb and eggs, although beef isn’t used much in India, not at all in most places, because the cow is seen as holy in India. Indian curries are cooked over an open flame traditionally, and include plenty of aromatic spices as well as .....
- Anchovy and Melon Salad RecipeThis anchovy and melon salad recipe is a simple and easy dish which tastes very good. The citrus and melon flavors go perfectly with the fish while the watercress sprigs make a pretty garnish. If you are low on time, why not have a go at this easy anchovy and melon salad recipe? Aromatic Healthy Melon Melon is so nice to use in a salad because it has a unique and very refreshing flavor. This simple anchovy and melon salad recipe is one of our more interesting starter recipes and it is especially nice to serve in the summer when you are looking for something refreshing. Some More Hot Content For You How to Make Vegetable Quiche IHOP Pancakes .....
- Dairy Free Cantaloupe and Prawn StarterThis dairy free cantaloupe and prawn starter recipe is also nut free and soy free, as well as dairy free. The delicious prawn salad is served inside a cantaloupe melon, making this a very attractive starter recipe as well as a delicious one. You can either cut the cantaloupe melons into wedges and serve them with the salad or use this recipe as the centrepieces for a buffet table. This is a colorful and appetizing starter recipe. Cantaloupe and Prawn Starter: Tweaks You Can Make You don’t have to use the melon at all for this seafood starter recipe if you don’t want to and a bed of salad leaves is fine instead. Use baby spinach, .....
- Easy Winkles RecipeWinkles are little black shellfish that look like snails. They may be enjoyed as part of a seafood platter or fruits de mer, or you can enjoy them as a snack by themselves, or with some bread and butter, as an easy winkles recipe appetizer. You can buy winkles either cooked or live but if you’re shopping for fresh ones (or picking your own) to make an easy winkles recipe, first you should check the smell. Good winkles smell slightly sweet and like the sea. They might move visibly. Live ones need to be rinsed in plenty of cold water before being soaked in salted water for half an hour before you boil them. Very Easy Winkles Recipe Ideas .....
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot BBQ BeefI often make this dish because it is so simple, and all you need to make it are 2 ingredients – beef and BBQ sauce. Any tough cut of beef which needs to be braised or slow cooked will work, so opt for braising or stewing steak, or something like skirt or flank. You will also need a crockpot and it is up to you whether you want to cook this 2 ingredient crockpot BBQ beef recipe on high, medium or low. How Long Should 2 Ingredient Crockpot BBQ Beef Cook? Use high and the beef will be done in about 5 hours. Double that for low, and guess somewhere in between the 2 for medium. Of course, the exact time depends on your crockpot and the meat .....
- Pesto Spaghetti with Easy MeatballsThis is a great pesto spaghetti recipe to make if you are in the mood for Italian but also looking for something you can just throw together and have on the table half an hour after you thought of making it! Spaghetti and meatballs is a typical Italian dish which combines pasta and meat in a simple way, and although a tomato sauce is often served with such a dish, pesto spaghetti is also nice and it is what we are using here, although you can switch one for the other if you like. We are making baked meatballs and you can prepare the pesto spaghetti while the meatballs are baking, then have everything together at once. Make sure you have some .....
- Delicious Curried Deviled EggsDeviled eggs make a nice dish before any main course or you can serve them at a buffet or party. Curried deviled eggs are especially nice and the curry flavor goes really well with the egg taste. You can add a bit of sweet relish or minced sun-dried tomatoes too if you want to. You might also want to add a couple of drops of Tabasco sauce or a bit of Dijon mustard to spice this deviled eggs recipe up. If you prefer plain deviled eggs, just leave out the curry powder and green onions. Most people will prefer the eggs slightly curried though. More Tips for Curried Deviled Eggs If you don’t have a piping bag to pipe the egg yolk filling .....
- Healthy Desserts with BananaAlthough fried banana wontons are not the most diet-friendly dessert, they are great for an occasional treat. If you want something a bit healthier, then you could adapt this recipe or make another one. Healthy desserts with banana as one of the ingredients are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and they’re healthier than a simple carb and sugar confection. Try baking the banana wontons instead of deep-frying them. You will need to spritz a little spray oil on them to get them crispy but baked wontons are also very good. You can serve a sugar-free chocolate sauce or fruit sauce with them. Grilled Banana Recipe Let’s think of some .....
- Easy Pasta Salad with Parmesan CheesePasta salad is always a winning dish. It is cheap to make, you can use leftover cooked pasta or cook some in about 10 minutes, and there are all kinds of flavors you can add to this easy pasta salad with parmesan cheese. In this recipe we are keeping with the Italian theme (although you might like to look at our Indian pasta salad for a wonderful fusion idea!) by incorporating parmesan cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. Dressing Tweaks Although the tangy red wine vinegar dressing is good, sometimes I prefer to just use mayo for a super-simple dressing which boasts a lovely creaminess everyone is going to love. You can add other flavors to the .....
- Best Ceramic Butter DishesThere are many additions that you can add to your tableware which will enhance your dining experience, including ceramic butter dishes. A ceramic butter dish is a traditional way of storing your butter, which will ensure that it remains in excellent condition. Blue Bird Ceramic Butter Dish, on Amazon Butter is a perfect accompaniment to many different dishes so it is common to have it on the table while eating. This is why investing in ceramic butter dishes is a great idea so you can present the butter in something attractive rather than just in the package or on a saucer. Serving butter at the correct temperature is an art form, and you may .....