Monterey Style Sweet Corn Recipe
Corn is always good especially when you cook the fresh kind and slice it off the cob in sweet, juicy slices. I love this Monterey style sweet corn recipe as a side dish because it seems to complement just about everything from chicken or seafood to steak or game meats.
Why You Should Make This Monterey Style Sweet Corn Recipe
This dish is easy to prepare, attractively bright colored and is sure to appeal to even the youngest members of the family – those who are normally picky about vegetable-based sides!
I find about a tablespoon of jalapeno enough to give the the Monterey style sweet corn a bit of a bite, but of course some people prefer to add more while others want to omit all traces of spice from their food, so you be the judge here and adapt it to suit your own palate.
If you need to rustle this up in a hurry, you could use well-drained canned corn but honestly that doesn’t really do this south of the border inspired dish justice, so get some fresh ears of corn and make it from scratch. That way you will have a real explosion of flavor in your mouth with every mouthful.
This reheats nicely (a minute in the microwave will do it) so perhaps make a batch of this and enjoy it the next couple of days too. You can also eat it cold alongside deli meats if you want, or with a green salad.
- 2 ears of corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (fresh coriander)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions (spring onions)
- 1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded cotija cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Blanch the whole ears of corn in boiling, salted water for 5 minutes.
- Drain and allow to cool.
- Now cut the corn off cobs in long, wide strips.
- Melt the butter in a skillet.
- Add the green onions, jalapeños and red peppers.
- Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the corn.
- Toss and season with salt.
- Now you can sprinkle with cilantro and cotija cheese, then serve..
Some More Hot Content For You
- Asian Meatballs with Sweet Chili SauceThis is a wonderful recipe and it is also low in carbs. I love this Asian meatballs with sweet chili sauce recipe because I never get tired of the taste. I used to own the site Crackslaw.com where you could find out how to make all kinds of crack slaw recipes, something else that offers a wonderful Asian flavor. I’ve since moved them all on to this blog, so look at our low carb category and you will find plenty more ideas. Anyway, back to the Asian meatballs with sweet chili sauce. I had some ground beef to use up and some other bits and pieces and I asked my sister for inspiration and she came up with the idea to make these delicious .....
- Reliable Printers Under $100Look at these cheap and reliable printers under $100. All of them are under $100 and some under $50. A low-cost one is a great investment and you can get discounted top brands which will last for a long time. Hewlett-Packard, Epson, Canon and Brother are just some of the names to look out for. The most obvious reason to make an economical choice is that you will save money. Another good reason is that you can get just as good a one for $100 as you can for $200. Some are even cheaper than that. What Do You Need If you want an all-singing, all-dancing machine which will print photograph-quality shots, receive WiFi instructions so you can print .....
- Which Dishes to MakeDeciding which dishes to make is not always so easy. There is no clear cut answer to that question but you narrow the possibilities down. Choose from hot or cold starters, meat, fish or vegetarian ones, something quick and easy or something impressive. Maybe you already know that two of your guests don’t like pork and it is going to be a hot evening. That can make it easier. What about a chilled chicken salad or a classic prawn cocktail? If you are new to cooking and already nervous about making starters, a main course and a dessert, then don’t pick something complicated! You won’t be impressing anyone if it goes wrong. .....
- Best Breakfast Burrito RecipeA beloved Mexican and Tex-Mex food, a burrito makes a great lunch, dinner or snack. And this is the best breakfast burrito recipe I ever tried! One modern trend is all about presenting this hearty delight first thing in the morning and calling it a breakfast burrito. So you can have your breakfast all rolled up neatly burrito-style. A breakfast burrito recipe will contain typical breakfast ingredients like potatoes, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, whatever else you like. These fillings will be hot and cooked, enclosed in a soft flour tortilla. Burritos are wrapped or folded to enclose the filling, unlike a taco which is usually folded in half around .....
- Incredible Pink Diamond RingsLook at these amazing pink diamond rings. Every lady loves diamonds. They are a girl’s best friend after all. But pink ones can be truly stunning, and they are really popular at the moment, especially in celebrity circles. Have you seen a real pink diamond? These stones are incredible. You can get real, lab-created or imitation pink diamonds of varying qualities. So pick something which fits not only your style but your budget. Different Options for Different Budgets You can get a pink ‘diamondlike’ CZ ring for $20 or a high quality genuine one for $10,000. It depends how much you are willing to spend on pink diamond rings. .....
- Chinese Prawn Toast RecipeChinese prawn toast, or Chinese shrimp toast, is very popular and makes a tasty hot starter. You don’t have to serve Chinese food as the main course since this Chinese prawn toast recipe goes nicely as an appetizer before a Thai main course, Indian main course or anything else you like. How Does a Chinese Prawn Toast Recipe Taste? These little appetizers often have sesame seeds on but that is not essential. The toasts should be crispy without being burned, and taste fishy without being too fishy. Prawn toasts usually feature on Chinese restaurant menus because their wonderful crunch makes them very appetizing. Some More Hot Content For .....
- Elegant Squid with Pistachio and LemonThis recipe is a little unusual, at least more unusual than most stuffed squid recipes. Not only does it look delicious but the tangy chili sauce is the perfect partner for the tender seafood, another great reason to prepare this fantastic dish. Squid with pistachio might be hard to imagine but believe me, it’s the stuff of dreams! The squid is stuffed with a pistachio and lemon infused brown rice which is really filling, and the sauce can be served on the side, like you see in the picture, or you can drizzle it over the plates and arrange the squid slices on top, as you wish. If you want to change this recipe a bit you can use fresh .....
- Pastel de Choclo Recipe from ChileI first tried this amazing corn pie in Chile and immediately fell in love with it. The ingredients might sound a little strange but it’s really good, I promise! Some people use beef while others use chicken. The corn topping on this pastel de choclo recipe is crisp, sticky and sweet and the eggs, black olives and other ingredients lend authenticity. Side Dish Options What is a good side dish for our pastel de choclo? Well, I like it with a simple tomato, garlic and onions salad on the side, or you might want to steam some broccoli or another favorite vegetable instead. This keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days and is easy to .....
- Dim SumDim sum, which translates to mean ‘to dot your heart’ refers to small dishes eaten as snacks. These can be baked, deep-fried, steamed or braised, and they are presented well and delicious too. Examples of dim sum include har gao, steamed shrimp dumplings in a rice flour pastry, char siu bao, which are roast pork-filled steamed buns, lor bak ko, which is turnip cake, and woo kok, which is shrimp with Chinese mushrooms. A lot of dim sum restaurants also offer congee porridge, soups, steamed green vegetables and roasted meats. The serving size is small and you usually get three or four pieces in one dish. Dim sum is eaten with a cup .....
- Easy Chicken Cacciatore with Thighs and BreastsThis easy chicken cacciatore with thighs and breasts recipe is seriously impressive. With the right wow factor for a dinner party but with an ease of preparation to make the cook smile, you can’t go wrong with a chicken cacciatore recipe. This easy chicken cacciatore with thighs and breasts features chicken as well as wine, fresh herbs, tomato sauce and a few capers for good measure. Garlic and onion also feature for a nice, earthy flavor. Serve your chicken cacciatore with noodles or rice, or even mashed potatoes if you want to have the ‘comfort food’ type appeal, as well as your favorite steamed veggies. What does .....