Rice Stuffed Zucchini with Veggies and Walnuts
This is a great recipe for stuffed zucchini, or stuffed courgette if that’s what it’s known as in your neck of the woods. You can cut your zucchini in to ‘boats’ or lengthwise strips or into wide slices. Perhaps you can get mini zucchini, or 8-ball zucchini, in which case one of those makes one serving. For the filling we are using rice, vegetables and walnuts, along with some garlic, thyme and cheese for added flavor. Feel free to tweak any of the ingredients in this rice stuffed zucchini . Pecans would work in place of the walnuts, or you could sub parsley, basil or even mixed dried herbs for the thyme.
First we are going to take the pulp out of the zucchini and just leave ½-inch or so on the skin. Then the vegetables are sauted and combined with the aromatic ingredients. Add in the zucchini pulp and rice, and spoon this mixture into your prepared zucchini pieces. You can then bake them in the oven, covered with foil so they don’t burn or dry out. Take the foil off at the end for a while so the cheese on top can melt and turn golden brown. When the cheese is golden brown and bubbling, the rice stuffed zucchini is ready to serve.
Rice Stuffed Zucchini – How to Serve It
This rice stuffed zucchini makes a nice main dish for a vegetarian or you could serve one slice alongside meat for a carnivore. Either way, the flavor will be great, and this goes with any kind of side dish, or as a side dish for some kind of meat, poultry or seafood entrée. Once you have made this, you might like to swap some of the ingredients to make it the next time. Honestly, all kinds of filling ingredients work here – mushrooms, spinach, fresh herbs, any kind of nuts, raisins – just add whatever you like and make the rice stuffed zucchini recipe your own. If you want to serve this as a main dish, feel free to add some chopped cooked ham, chicken or shrimp into the mix. Add it when you add the rice to the pan.
- 2 large zucchini (courgettes)
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 peeled, seeded, chopped tomato
- 7 oz (200g) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 7 oz (200g) corn kernels
- 2 cups (360g) cooked rice
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups (225g) shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Cut each zucchini in to several pieces depending on their size.
- You can either cut them into slices like in the photo or else cut them in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the pulp and roughly chop it.
- Sauté the onions with the bell pepper and garlic in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini pulp and walnuts.
- Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, tomato, corn, thyme, and some salt and black pepper to taste.
- Stuff the zucchini pieces with the rice mixture, then add the cheese on top.
- Arrange them in a baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Discard the foil and bake the zucchini for another 10 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Photo by: Apolonia, at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Some More Hot Content For You
- Creamy Potato Salad with BaconPotato salad is always good but add bacon and you have a really mouthwatering side dish. The following creamy potato salad with bacon is a recipe which is very simple to make; the potato salad will keep for a few days once prepared. Serve it chilled or room temperature. Some people even like it served warm, as soon as it is made. Use boiling potatoes to make potato salad, not mashing potatoes which tend to disintegrate too easily. The choice of dressing is up to you. While a lot of people just use their favorite mayonnaise, you might prefer another kind of creamy dressing for this creamy potato salad with bacon, else you can use half mayo .....
- Delicious Curried Deviled EggsDeviled eggs make a nice dish before any main course or you can serve them at a buffet or party. Curried deviled eggs are especially nice and the curry flavor goes really well with the egg taste. You can add a bit of sweet relish or minced sun-dried tomatoes too if you want to. You might also want to add a couple of drops of Tabasco sauce or a bit of Dijon mustard to spice this deviled eggs recipe up. If you prefer plain deviled eggs, just leave out the curry powder and green onions. Most people will prefer the eggs slightly curried though. More Tips for Curried Deviled Eggs If you don’t have a piping bag to pipe the egg yolk filling .....
- Easy Recipe for Coq au VinCoq au vin is a wonderful French dish featuring chicken, bacon, mushrooms and red wine. Other typical ingredients in this dish include garlic, thyme and onion. Our easy recipe for coq au vin shows how to to prepare this wonderful French treat. If your mouth is watering already you are not alone. This combination of ingredients appeals to nearly every palate, offering both richness and gentle aromatic flavor. Harmonious Flavors Come Together The red wine and bacon work beautifully together to add a special rich taste to the finished easy recipe for coq au vin dish, and of course the chicken thighs offer plenty of juicy flavor of their own......
- Stovetop Shepherd’s PieIf you are in the mood for shepherd’s pie and wondering whether it can be made if you don’t have an oven, the answer is yes, you will be pleased to hear. Try this stovetop shepherd’s pie for dinner. The kids will love it and so will you! Shepherd’s pie is like cottage pie but made with lamb (hence the shepherd reference) rather than beef. This is something which appeals to kids and adults alike, because everyone loves the harmony you get when combining the juicy meat mixture with the wonderful potato topping. Some home cooks will make their stovetop shepherd’s pie recipe quite basic, topping a gently flavored .....
- Stacking Jewelry Tray SystemStackers are the ideal way to store your precious trinkets and the best thing about these is you get to choose which trays you want to have. I have a stacking jewelry tray system and really love it. Got a lot of earrings but not many rings? Then pick some of the earring trays and don’t get a ring tray. Got lots of chunky bracelets? Then get a tray divided into 3 or not divided at all. You can see how this works now! You can personalize your own stacking jewelry tray system and make it as tall as you wish. Choose from the small or large width/depth depending how big you want it and how many trinkets you have to store. A stacking jewelry .....
- Easy Pakora RecipeBefore we go into the details of our easy pakora recipe you might be wondering what is pakora exactly. That is a very good question! Pakoras are made by combining grated or finely chopped vegetables (and perhaps other ingredients) with Indian spices, then cooking the results in little balls until crispy, either frying or baking them. Hot and Typically Indian This crispy Indian snack is best served hot. There are different types of pakora, and you can use meat to make it or even keep it vegetarian. These treats may be served alongside other Indian favorites, such as a chicken curry and rice, or you can enjoy them as an appetizer. Some people .....
- Lahmacun Turkish Pizza RecipeEveryone loves pizza but perhaps you are becoming a little bored with your usual pepperoni or meat feast option. In that case, it might be high time you try something brand new like our lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe. Just about every cultures has its own take on pizza. It really is a global phenomenon. In Turkey, lahmacun is a typical dish, and it is basically a pizza base topped with meat and Turkish flavors. What Goes on Top of a Lahmacun Turkish Pizza Recipe Also known as an Armenian pizza recipe, a lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe is usually topped with either lamb or beef, along with minced veggies and herbs, including tomatoes, onions and .....
- Kitchen Gadgets Every Home Cook Should HaveMost people already have basic kitchen appliances such as toasters and kettles but these items do break! That’s why it’s good that you can pick up replacement kitchen gadgets cheaply. Other small kitchen appliances include juicers, blenders, mini blenders and coffee machines and you can get tiny kitchen appliances if you have a tiny kitchen. Others fold up or you can store them in the cupboard on on a wall. Once you have sorted out all your main kitchen appliances, it is time to stock up on handy time-saving tools and labor-saving kitchen gadgets. Kitchen gadgets do not have to be complicated or expensive. Some of the best and .....
- Create Your Own Wonton FillingsAfter making a number of steamed wonton recipes, there will come a time when you wish to create your own wonton fillings. Although you can use pretty much any kind of meat, poultry or fish in your wonton filling, it is important to grind or chop it as finely as you can. You need your ingredients to be very small for wonton fillings, so you can mix everything together better. Anything which is not cut into small enough pieces means you risk the wonton wrapper coming apart while they’re being cooked and then the filling will leak out which obviously you don’t want to happen. Create Your Own Wonton Fillings: What to Use Throw some .....
- AppetizersDiscover Amazing Appetizers The best starter recipes are the ones you feel would be most suitable for the occasion, plus those appetizers which go nicely before your chosen main course. Perhaps you want to make a hot meat starter recipe, a delicately flavored fish starter or something with eggs, cheese or even fruit. We have a lot of different starter recipes for you to browse and choose from, as well as plenty of handy starter making tips. You can make starters for two people to enjoy over a cozy dinner or lots of different snacks for a buffet or a big party. You will find plenty of choice here, when it comes to snacks and appetizers .....