Roasted Rainbow Carrots
When I first spotted rainbow carrots at the market, I was intrigued. What would they taste like? Would the different colors have different flavors? I just had to buy them and find out for myself, and honestly I was really pleased with the result of my roasted rainbow carrots recipe!
Of course there are different ways to cook carrots, perhaps the worst way being roughly chopping them and boiling them to mush. I recommend roasting the carrots for the very best results. They will take a while to become tender because they are quite dense. But allow sufficient time and your result will be a wonderful side dish which is as healthy as it is tasty.
What Colors are There?
In my package of rainbow carrots I had yellow, light orange, mid-orange and purple ones. I tasted them raw first. The yellow one was quite sweet, and the light orange one was halfway between the flavor of the yellow one and a regular orange carrot. I expected them all to taste the same when making roasted rainbow carrots, but they really don’t.
Pretty Purple Carrots
The purple one offered quite a distinctive flavor – savory and almost spicy. Most carrots were purple if you go far back enough in time, although I only discovered them recently. Anyway I loved all the flavors and have made the following recipe a few times.
When I peeled them I saw the purple one was orange inside (I had expected it to be purple all the way through!) so I took care not to peel too much off, so there was still a purple tinge to the color. You don’t need to peel them at all if you don’t want to. Your roasted rainbow carrots will still taste the same.
If you want to cut the fat content of the dish you can swap the olive oil for PAM or Frylight, or a similar cooking spray, although to be honest the flavor of the olive oil is incredible with the carrots so I would recommend you use that, perhaps a light coating.
- 8 rainbow carrots
- Salt, to taste
- Olive oil, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 500°F (260°C) with the rack near the bottom.
- Peel the carrots if you wish (this is optional).
- Toss them with some oil (maybe half a tablespoon, but more if you like).
- Grind some salt over them.
- Spread them out in a large pan and roast for 20 minutes.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 325°F (160°C).
- Roast them, stirring or flipping occasionally, until they are tender and browned.
- This will take about another 25 minutes.
- If they start going too brown, cover the dish with foil.
You can chop the carrots in half or quarters lengthwise for a shorter cooking time, or cook them whole.
Serve these delicious roasted rainbow carrots with your favorite meat, poultry or fish. If you are cooking for vegetarians consider a mushroom risotto on the side, or even a tofu dish. These carrots really do go with anything. A final idea (for leftovers) is to serve them cold on a bed of salad greens with some creamy potato salad, nuts, raisins, and cubes of cheese.
Some More Hot Content For You
- What is Thai Tea ExactlyPerhaps you are familiar with Thai tea, or maybe this drink is a new one to you. Whichever is the case, we are going to look a little closer at this beverage and find out some more about it. What is Thai tea exactly? Well let’s have a look. First of all, not all Thai teas are created equal – some have orange food coloring, others have no food coloring. Some are made with cardamom, vanilla and anise, some with just one or two of those. Chai tea is an Indian tea similar to Thai tea but not the same. Again, there are various recipes for that too. How to Drink Thai Tea Some people like theirs with Half and Half while others prefer .....
- Walden Farms Calorie-Free Food ReviewFlavorful Items to Complement Your Diet This calorie free food is for anyone looking for items which do not contain calories, carbohydrates, fat or sugar. Doesn’t that sound exciting! Their range includes fruit spreads, regular and flavored mayo, pouring syrups, salad dressings, pasta sauces, whipped peanut spreads, dips for chips or fruit, condiments, and more. Carb-Free Too These products contain no carbs either, so you can enjoy as much as you want. But what do these calorie free food products actually taste like? I have bought a selection of them recently, to try them out for myself, and I have to say some are better than others. .....
- Traditional Spanish Squid SoupThis is not a stuffed squid recipe like many of our other soup recipes with squid but it is too good not to include on here. Oh yes, Spanish squid soup is one of the best soups I know, and it’s worth learning the recipe. The recipe features squid of course, and also potatoes, onion and tomato. Aromatic flavor comes from the chilies, thyme, garlic and balsamic vinegar. The green beans are optional but they look attractively colorful so if you want to use them then just throw them in after topping and tailing them. The Spanish squid soup recipe is very simple to prepare. Once all the ingredients are in there you need to let it simmer for .....
- The Benefits of Cooking Authentic Chinese RecipesAuthentic Chinese recipes are incredibly popular and have several different benefits, which is why more people than ever before are searching for the best recipe ideas. You might enjoy Chinese food but it’s fair to say that authentic Chinese recipes will taste very different. Once you have discovered several different recipes to try at home, you can begin to enjoy these benefits and appreciate real Chinese food for what it really is. Why Choose Authentic Chinese Recipes? Chinese food is considered to be incredibly healthy and very fast to make, ensuring that it is the perfect snack food. Some More Hot Content For You Tender Oven Baked .....
- Different Types of Glassware and StemwareThe word ‘glassware’ refers to tableware made from glass, including flatware, cutlery, drinkware and dishes which are set on the table before a meal. Glassware can also be used for cooking meals, such as Pyrex dishes. There are many different types of glassware to choose from. Most glasses to drink from are either flat bottomed, tumblers, footed or stemware. You can also get yard beer glasses which are tall, conical glasses for beer which have a round base. Buy What You Personally Like Different people have their own tastes in glassware so it’s good there are lots of different types of glassware to choose from. I love those .....
- New Pasta Recipes to TryThere is so much you can do with pasta, and also so many kinds to choose from. White or whole wheat pasta, penne, spaghetti, pasta twists, linguine… the list goes on. You can make hot recipes such as baked pasta dishes, or chilled ones like a salad. You can serve it as an entree or side dish, and there are many new pasta recipes to try. Pasta is economical and filling, and there are plenty of wonderful Italian recipes using it. Try the big noodles to make lasagna, long pasta like linguine or spaghetti to serve with a meaty sauce, or pasta shapes to make pasta salad or to cling to a thick sauce. Quick and Easy Pasta Recipes If you want .....
- Easy Pork and Ginger WontonsChinese recipes have been used for generations and have slowly been adapted to the Western world. However, if you want authentic, healthy meals, this cuisine is perfect. Try these easy pork and ginger wontons and you will see just how delicious Chinese food can be. There are many different recipes available to cater to your taste and budget. Ingredients need to be fresh, ensuring that all of the nutrients are locked inside the meal. There are ingredients which are chosen for every Chinese recipe, to enhance the flavors and produce the ideal texture. Vegetables are a huge part of these recipes, and you will find that many different forms can .....
- Traditional English Chicken Pot PiesPot pies make a great meal and, being English, I have tried lots of British pot pie recipes. Although some people claim pot pies are not English, I beg to disagree. English chicken pot pies are not only ‘a thing’ but they are yummy! In the UK if you eat ‘pub grub’ or a simple meal in a pub, you can expect at least one kind of pie on the menu. My own favorite is beef and ale pie, although chicken makes a nice change, either paired with corn or with mushrooms. I like either mashed potatoes or fries with mine, along with baked beans or some kind of vegetable. Although large pies which you can cut into wedges are nice, .....
- Prada Infusion d’Iris Perfume ReviewThis Prada Infusion d’Iris perfume scent has been around since 2007 if you are wondering what year it came out, and this is a beautiful fragrance. Read on for some links to discount Prada Milano if you want to buy some of this gorgeous perfume for yourself or a friend. How Prada Infusion d’Iris Perfume Smells You will be able to smell orange as well as orange blossom, mandarin and galbanum and then iris, vetiver and cedar come in afterwards. This delicious fragrance is held in a delicate glass vessel which has a retro look and feel about it. If you haven’t been able to get Prada Infusion d’Iris out of your head it is .....
- Best Toaster Oven Under $30Buy the best toaster oven for less than $30 and be assured it will be perfect quality. Perhaps you have read some reviews of toaster ovens or maybe you are just thinking about adding one to your kitchen. Non stick cookware toasters review articles are essential to provide you with the information you need to decide if this toaster will suit your needs and budget. Toaster ovens are cheaper to run than large ones, so you can save money if you are just cooking or reheating a small amount of food. They will not overheat your kitchen the way large ovens can either, which is another benefit of the best toaster oven. Some More Hot Content For You .....