Spicy Roast Potatoes
There are thousands of potato recipes, and many ways to prepare roast potatoes, including this spicy roast potatoes recipe. One of the nicest things to do with them is spice them up before roasting, and then you will be able to enjoy the aromatic spices and the potatoes too with their crispy outsides and fluffy hot insides.
The following spicy roast potatoes recipe is very simple to make. You will need floury potatoes like King Edward, Yukon Gold, Charlotte, Maris Piper, or Duke of York.
Floury varieties are better for mashing, fry-making or roasting, while non-floury potatoes suit boiling better.
If you try to boil a floury potato it is likely to disintegrate, but the dry, fluffy texture of floury potatoes make them idea for roasting when you want the outside to crisp up to golden brown perfection and the inside to be perfectly fluffy.
There are different floury potatoes to choose from, for making this spicy roast potatoes dish, depending where you live, but if in doubt just ask or look at the label.
Spicing Up the Spuds
This spicy roast potatoes recipe calls for salt, turmeric and paprika to spice up the potatoes. Although there are other recipes for spicy roasted potatoes with longer lists of ingredients, keeping things simple also works well, and you will get a delicious flavor with just those 3 ingredients, along with the potatoes and some oil.
If you do want to make your spicy roast potatoes hotter, add some red chili flakes or grind on some pepper, but that is your call. These are wonderful served with any meal, poultry or fish, and you might like to serve some kind of creamy sauce or dressing on the side (or even some sour cream) to contrast with the spicy taste.
- 5 lbs (2¼ kg) peeled, chopped floury potatoes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper and/or cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- Sour cream and/or shredded cheese, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190C).
- Add the turmeric to a pot of boiling, salted water.
- Add the potatoes and simmer, covered, for 4 minutes.
- Put the oil in a roasting pan and put it in the oven for 5 minutes to heat up.
- Drain the par-cooked potatoes and shake them to roughen the surfaces (just a little, not too much) because this helps them crisp.
- Tip the potatoes into the hot oil, then toss with a metal spoon.
- Sprinkle with paprika (and a little cayenne if liked).
- Roast for 1¼ hours without turning them, or until crisp and golden brown.
- Sprinkle salt over them (maybe some black pepper too if liked).
- Serve hot with some sour cream and/or cheese on top.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Hungarian Venison Goulash StewThis Hungarian venison goulash stew is a real winter warmer of a recipe, offering amazing comfort food for those chilly fall and winter evenings. An authentic Hungarian recipe, this is sure to fill even the hungriest belly, and it is easy to make as well, even if you are new to cooking venison, new to making stews, or just never made this particular recipe before. The results will be great. Serving Hungarian Venison Goulash Stew Serve this Hungarian venison goulash stew with mashed potatoes, fluffy white rice, dumplings, vegetables, or anything else you want. Personally I like garlic mashed potatoes with plenty of butter mashed into them! .....
- 100 Calorie Vegetable SoupI love making this 100 calorie vegetable soup but I am quite lazy sometimes! Even though I will go to the trouble of roasting pumpkin to make pumpkin soup or caramelizing onion for French onion soup, other times I like to toss the ingredients into a pot. Then I forget about it for an hour, then puree the results, and actually that’s how you end up with a really good vegetable soup recipe sometimes! If you’re new to making soup (or looking for some vegetable soup ideas) read on for a very easy recipe for 100 calorie vegetable soup. I’d like to share my 100 calorie vegetable soup recipe with you because I’ve made it a .....
- How to Use a Bamboo SteamerA bamboo steamer is very simple to use and you can get one online or from your local Asian grocery store. Before you use it you should wash it in soapy water and let it air-dry. This is very important, especially if you live somewhere humid, so it does not become moldy. Rinse it and let it air-dry after every use. Knowing how to use a bamboo steamer is very simple so read on for some more tips. These steamers are really cheap to buy, especially when compared to the stainless steel type. This means if you aren’t sure whether you will like steaming, you simply want to give it a go, or you don’t think you will be steaming often then .....
- Orange and Avocado Salad RecipeIf you are looking for a quick, easy vegetarian salad recipe, this one is very good and takes just minutes to put together. The sharpness of the oranges contrasts very well with the soft creaminess of the avocado and the lemon juice and oil dressing finishes it off just right. I love this orange and avocado salad recipe and have made it a few times now. Simple Yet So Good This orange and avocado salad recipe might sound very basic but a lot of recipes are great because they are kept simple, not in spite of it. Avocado offers a creamy nutty flavor which is wonderful with the orange, and this is also a colorful dish, not just a tasty one. It .....
- Deep-Fried Chicken Dim SumThis tempting deep-fried chicken dim sum recipe serves a crowd, and you can double it too. It is easy to make if you are methodical, mixing the filling together, then distributing it between the wrappers and working in batches. The crunchy hot chicken treats can be served alone or with your favorite sauce. Why We Love Deep-Fried Chicken Dim Sum, Actually ALL Dim Sum! Known as dim sum in Chinese, appetizers in the Western world, or tapas in Spain, small snacks will always have a place in our hearts and on our tables. They can precede a main dish or just be served as a snack. Dim sum, or Chinese appetizers, are versatile, tasty and just so .....
- How to Make Hamburgers on the StoveI love making homemade burgers, partly because they are really easy and partly because they taste so good. You will need some good quality hamburger meat if you want to make good quality burgers, and you can use pork, beef, chicken or a mixed meat. I like to use 80/20 (that is 80% lean, 20% fat) half pork, half beef, for a good juiciness and flavor. I often make hamburgers on the stove when it’s cold and I don’t want to stand over a grill outside in the rain! In the photo you can see I am cooking the burgers on a griddle which is like a square pan with ridges on. The ridges allow the fat to drain off the meat but they also make .....
- 12 Crockpot Recipes for Weight LossThe following crockpot recipes for weight loss are perfect for making in a slow cooker. One of the benefits to using a crockpot is you can tip the ingredients in there in the morning, then go to work or out for the day. When you get home your meal will be ready! This mean you don’t have to stand over the stove, nibbling on snacks you shouldn’t be having, but you can eat your healthy meal right away. A crockpot, also known as a slow cooker, is an electrical appliance used to gently simmer food. The temperature is kept low so your food slowly cooks over a period of hours. A basic model should have a low and a high setting while others might .....
- Red Chicken Chili with TomatoesI love this red chicken chili with tomatoes recipe because it is lower in calories than a beef based chili yet it offers all the wonderful flavors you would expect from chili. Make it as mild as you wish or as spicy as you dare, and enjoy the fresh flavors it boasts. This red chicken chili with tomatoes recipe is so easy to put together. You just need to cook the chicken with the veggies, then add the other ingredients and let the mixture simmer for 45 minutes or so. That is all you need to do to make it. Kids love chili just as much as the grownups although they aren’t usually so keen on spice, so if you are making this for the whole .....
- Easy Potato and Cherry Tomato FrittataThis healthy, colorful recipe is rich in vitamins and minerals, and it makes a delicious meal, whether you have it for breakfast or brunch, lunch or dinner. A frittata is an Italian egg-based dish, a bit like a crustless quiche or omelet. I love this potato and cherry tomato frittata because of the combination of flavors and textures. Frittata comes from ‘friggere’ – the Italian word for ‘fried’ – and such a dish can include cheese, vegetables, pasta, eggs, or anything else you like. This term used to refer to eggs cooked in a skillet, whether you are making an omelet, fried egg or even tortilla de patatas .....
- Hot and Sour Squid SoupHot and sour soup is a lovely Chinese dish, featuring chili, vegetables and more, but this recipe takes the recipe to the next level adding squid to the mix, so you can enjoy the wonderfully soft texture of that in the soup. A hot and sour squid soup might sound like an exotic recipe but it is really easy to make. Take a look at the following hot and sour squid soup recipe and you will see how anyone could put this together. Feel free to make it as spicy or as mild as you like. If you are feeling under the weather or you think you are getting a cold or the flu, up the spices to help fight it off! You can make this soup as an appetizer or .....