Spinach Chickpea Side Dish for an Indian Meal
This is a quick and easy side dish which is very low in calories but goes perfectly alongside any Indian meal, especially if it is something creamy. Try this spinach chickpea side dish with a curry or even over rice.
Often, with Indian food, you will want to contrast your dishes, so for example if you have something creamy you will want something very savory or even acidic to go alongside it.
If you are serving something spicy, you might wish to serve something sweet with it. Contrasts make the whole meal harmonious and well balanced.
The following spinach chickpea side dish recipe features spinach and chickpeas (or garbanzo beans, as they are also called). I wanted to make something which would go well with chicken tikka masala but didn’t want to take the rice/noodles/naan bread route, so I came up with this dish which was incredibly good.
Spinach Chickpea Side Dish: So Easy to Make
You can use frozen spinach. Just pop it into a pan and let it sit until it’s thawed. Else you can put the pan over a low heat and stir until the spinach thaws. Spinach really doesn’t take long to defrost. Add the other ingredients and stir well.
Keep heating (gently) and stirring until the mixture is hot, then serve the spinach chickpea side dish with your favorite curry. The calorie count is based on using low-fat cream cheese, but adjust it if you’re using the full-fat kind.
- 7 oz (200g) frozen spinach
- 7 oz (200g) chickpeas/garbanzo beans from a can (rinsed)
- 1 tablespoons tomato concentrate
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons 'Philadelphia Light' cream cheese
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Put the spinach into a pan and let it thaw.
- I usually do that an hour or so beforehand but if you're in a rush, turn the heat on and stir until it's thawed.
- Add the chickpeas, tomato concentrate, onion powder, cream cheese, and a grinding each of salt and black pepper, and stir.
- Have the heat on low and gradually warm the mixture up while stirring.
- Serve this spinach chickpea side dish with your favorite curry, and perhaps also serve white rice with it.