Steamed Couscous with Fruit
This steamed couscous with fruit recipe is light, aromatic and really delicious. Combining the taste of couscous with sweet juicy fruit, this makes a great side dish or you can have it alone for lunch or a light supper.
You could also consider doubling or tripling the steamed couscous with fruit recipe to make a nice buffet or potluck dish. It is fine to stand at room temperature for a while since there is no meat or eggs in there.
Couscous is a lovely grain to cook with and you can use plain couscous or Israeli couscous (otherwise known as pearl couscous). It makes a nice change from rice or potatoes, and you can make salads, side dishes and main dishes using this grain. It is very easy to cook.
In this steamed couscous with fruit recipe, just cook it how it tells you on the package, adding some raisins to the cooking water. Soaking raisins in liquid, especially hot liquid, swells them up and makes them juicy. For special dishes and desserts they are nice soaked in brandy or rum.
What Makes This So Yummy
This steamed couscous with fruit recipe features dried apricots but use fresh ones if you prefer. Almonds also make an appearance in this recipe, toasted ones so you get that lovely toasted flavor. The butter and olive oil are optional and you don’t have to add one or both of those.
I like a pat of butter of mine but yours is up to you of course. Those are all the ingredients you need to make this steamed couscous with fruit. Garnish it with some fresh cilantro or mint if you wish, or else just serve it as it is.
- 12½ oz (350g) couscous
- 2½ oz (75g) dried apricot in strips
- 1 oz (35g) raisins
- 1¾ oz (50g) lightly toasted almonds
- Salt and pepper
- Butter and olive oil to serve (optional)
- Cook the couscous following the instructions on the package with the raisins in the pot too.
- Add the apricots and condiments and sieve to drain off the liquid.
- Cover the mixture with foil and steam over boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with almonds, cilantro and butter and/or oil if desired.