100 Calorie Vegetable Soup
I love making this 100 calorie vegetable soup but I am quite lazy sometimes! Even though I will go to the trouble of roasting pumpkin to make pumpkin soup or caramelizing onion for French onion soup, other times I like to toss the ingredients into a pot.
Then I forget about it for an hour, then puree the results, and actually that’s how you end up with a really good vegetable soup recipe sometimes! If you’re new to making soup (or looking for some vegetable soup ideas) read on for a very easy recipe for 100 calorie vegetable soup.
I’d like to share my 100 calorie vegetable soup recipe with you because I’ve made it a few times now and it makes a really fantastic lunch.
Although each time I make it slightly differently the flavors are similar, and you can also tweak the recipe to make it fit your taste. The calorie count is roughly 100 calories per bowl, so add some crusty bread and you have a low calorie, filling lunch.
How to Make 100 Calorie Vegetable Soup
What you’re supposed to do is cook that with potatoes and mash the whole lot together (to end up with Hutspot, a famous Dutch recipe) but what I do with it is tip it into a pot, fill the pot with water, add some other ingredients and simmer it all for an hour.
In the picture on the left you can see I’ve also added some corn to the pot.
I like to add a heaped tablespoon of curry paste and perhaps some loose spices like curry powder, turmeric, nutmeg or anything else which catches my eye and imagination.
Last time I added some sugar-free applesauce to my 100 calorie vegetable soup and that added sweetness, fruitiness and added to the overall texture. You could add some fruit juice for sweetness.
I just love the true curry flavor though so I tend to stick with the Patak’s mild curry paste. Near the end of the cooking time, when everything is tender, I might add some coconut milk or regular milk, just to add some creaminess to the soup.
100 Calorie Vegetable Soup Tips
The joy of making this type of soup is that pretty much anything goes. Have some vegetables which are past their prime and too mushy to serve sauteed or boiled?
Simply throw them in the soup! Got a can of beans that you can’t think of a recipe to use them in? Throw them in there. Got a big bag of vegetables from your kind gardener neighbor? Go on, toss them in the soup!
- 1 lb (450g) bag of shredded carrots and onions
- Water, as needed
- 1 tablespoon Indian curry paste
- ¼ chopped pumpkin (optional)
- 14 oz (400g) can of corn kernels, drained (optional)
- ½ pint (275 ml) nonfat milk or light coconut milk (optional)
- 2 tablespoons applesauce or raisins (optional)
- Handful of cilantro (fresh coriander leaves) (optional)
- Tip the bag of carrots and onions into the biggest pot you have.
- If you can't get such a bag then just peel and shred a pound of carrots and onions.
- You can add pumpkin, corn or any other vegetables at this point.
- You can also add some applesauce, raisins or other spices.
- Pour water into the pot to about an inch over the vegetable level.
- Simmer the mixture over a low heat for about an hour.
- Stir in some cilantro if you like and perhaps some milk or coconut milk too.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup or puree it in batches in a blender or food processor (let it cool down a bit first).
Veggie Soup Presentation
The color of the 100 calorie vegetable soup is going to depend on the vegetables you use. If your soup is mainly carrot and pumpkin, you can expect a naturally sweet flavor, as well as an orange color. If you use a whole mixture of veggies the soup might look more brown.
Feel free to add croutons or anything else you want, to garnish the 100 calorie vegetable soup. Some cilantro on top might look nice, or even a dollop of sour cream or thick yogurt.
Yes You Can Freeze Vegetable Soup
I usually divide the finished 100 calorie vegetable soup into 4 plastic containers when it’s ready and get 3 portions out of each one. The soup keeps a few days in the refrigerator or you can just freeze it. That’s one of the things that’s so good about making a huge batch of soup. You will have a tasty soup all week or you can freeze containers of it for months.
To reheat it simply microwave it, stirring every 30 seconds, or else warm it in a pan on the stove, as you prefer. The flavor gets better every day and if you’ve put spices in there you will find their flavors become more pronounced.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Folding WontonsSichuan wontons are known as ‘chao shou’ which means crossed hands, and they have a thickish, white wrapping. These wontons are boiled and served in a highly spicy sauce which is typical of nearly all Sichuan cuisine. The name is believed to refer to its wrapping style. The wonton wrapper is first folded into a triangular shape and then the two sides are brought to the front and they overlap. This looks a bit like someone with folded arms and it’s all in the folding wontons technique. In Shanghai the wontons are folded into triangles but the second fold features a little twist, giving it a cute shape. Cantonese wontons are .....
- Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon and ShallotsHow does a warm spinach salad with bacon and shallots sound to you? This is a really satisfying recipe, and one of those you will be happy you made. Here, spinach is teamed with spinach and shallots, as well as garlic, nutmeg and even some hard-boiled egg if you like. Go ahead and add all your favorite ingredients to this warm spinach salad with bacon and shallots. Go ahead and personalize this salad as much as you want. It is going to taste great anyway. The result is a salad which is ideal for the cooler months and can be served alongside any meat, poultry or even seafood dish. Or you can enjoy the warm spinach salad with bacon and .....
- Tasty Thai Tuna SaladThis Thai tuna salad is a great recipe because you can throw it together in about 10 minutes. Canned tuna is often nice in Asian recipes and I have used it in stir-fries before. This recipe adds Thai ingredients to the mix to offer an authentic Southeast Asian flavor. There is no cooking involved in this Thai tuna salad and you can have this on the table in less than half an hour from right now, if you have all the ingredients. If not, feel free to make adaptations because there are plenty of tweaks you could make to such a versatile dish. Thai Tuna Salad: Play with the Flavors Maybe you would like to switch the spices. I used ground ginger .....
- How to Make Mulled WineMulled wine is a hot beverage which is popular during the chillier months. This red wine-based cocktail is really flavorful and you will be able to taste the spices and fruit which go into it. Once you know how to make mulled wine you will often want to prepare it for chilly fall and winter evenings. Our recipe is made with apple cider or juice, red wine and other flavorings. It is actually tastier the day after you make it and even more so the following day if you have any left by then! Mulled wine is nice served in clear mugs so you can see the lovely color, and you can decorate the glasses with some orange zest or orange slices. How to .....
- Types of Chinese TeaWhy not pair your crispy fried crab Rangoon wontons with a refreshing cup of Chinese tea? There are many types of Chinese tea to choose from so you can quench your thirst and enjoy the delicious, fragrant taste. Chinese tea has a long history and the tea-drinking ritual has been around for over 1000 years. The Chinese were the first to discover the flavor of tea leaves, and tea is an integral part of daily life in China. Chinese tea used to be divided into four grades, depending on quality, and the Chinese tea culture was developed a lot during the Ming and Song dynasties, popularizing it in neighboring countries such as Korea and Japan. .....
- Pink Toilets and Pink Toilet SeatsPink toilets will make a statement, which is what many people want to do in their homes. The bathroom can often be the best place to be adventurous so don’t rule pink toilets out entirely! If you have a typically conservative taste, yet you want to step out of the box, choosing pink toilets could be the way to achieve this goal. There are no rules when it comes to designing your bathroom; therefore, colorful accessories and fixtures can be an excellent choice. Deciding on the Design, Style and Color of the Toilet Contemporary toilets and bathroom designs have become incredibly popular, and many people are choosing bright, vibrant .....
- Easy Hummus Recipe with Peanut ButterUsing peanut butter instead of tahini is a great idea if you want a great-tasting and easy hummus recipe which boasts plenty of nutrition from the peanut butter. Our easy hummus recipe with peanut butter will appeal to everyone, old or young, because it is creamy and flavorful. This hummus recipe without tahini is very simple to make and you can serve it as a dip, perhaps with celery or pita bread, or use it as a spread in sandwiches, pairing it with chicken and cucumber or salad leaves and sliced boiled egg. How to Make Hummus Without Tahini You will need a food processor or blender to combine the ingredients for this hummus, then you can .....
- Carisma Potatoes – Diabetic Low GI PotatoesWhen my husband was diagnosed with Type II diabetes a few months back, he was told to avoid sugary foods along with processed food, white potatoes, white pasta, white rice, milk chocolate and, well, the list went on. Being a Dutchman he is very into bread and potatoes so he thought those would be hard to quit. He eats whole wheat bread and the occasional sweet potato, both of which are OK for him, but I knew he missed the other stuff. And then we discovered Carisma potatoes! Carisma Potatoes – How We Discovered Them Anyway, to cut what could be a long story short, last weekend at the supermarket I spotted something called .....
- Five Reasons to Make Your Own Easy Wonton RecipeWontons are both economical and easy to make yourself. You can of course buy readymade wontons or wonton soup, or you can buy it from a Chinese restaurant, but when you do you are cheating yourself. Nothing is as yummy as your homemade wontons. Everyone can rustle up an easy wonton recipe, regardless of cooking ability and experience or lack thereof. The top five reasons to make your own easy wonton recipe, using a time-honored wonton recipe are as follows: 1) Wonton recipes are easy, there is no doubt about it. If you use a single ingredient (applesauce or cream cheese, for example) for the filling, plus readymade wonton wrappers, you will .....
- Classic Prawn CocktailThis classic prawn cocktail recipe combines succulent Atlantic prawns with a homemade Marie Rose sauce and more. Shell-on prawns are the best variety to use for both texture and flavor. Classic Prawn Cocktail: Tips for the Prawns You can make a nice risotto stock from the shells after peeling them too. Most Atlantic prawns are sold cooked and frozen and the best way to defrost them is to leave the in the fridge for several hours. Don’t defrost them in water because they will lose some of their flavour. When you peel them, you should split them almost in half through their backs and remove the bitter dark vein running through them. This .....