Apple and Parsnip Soup Recipe
Parsnip is a great ingredient for soups because it goes well with other vegetables or with fruit and has a great flavor. You can grow your own parsnips if you live somewhere cold because they don’t reach their peak until they’ve had a couple of hard frosts. This apple and parsnip soup recipe is easy to make and really good for any season. It makes pretty good comfort food too!
Beautiful Flavor Combo
This apple and parsnip soup recipe is warming and what I especially love about it is the combination of sweet and savory it offers.
The apple is of course sweet while the parsnip is mostly savory but with a special, natural sweetness of its own. These ingredients work very nicely with one another, each one bringing out the lovely flavor of the other.
You will enjoy the addition of cream and sage in this apple and parsnip soup recipe because these complement the other flavors in the soup and go so well.
Serve this soup with croutons if you like or perhaps with some crusty bread instead, so you can soak up every last delicious drop. This soup should appeal to the younger members of the family too, not just the grownups.
- 25g (1 oz) butter
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 700g (1.5 lbs) parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) single cream (light cream)
- 2 cloves
- 4 fresh sage leaves or half a teaspoon dried sage
- 1 litre (2 pints) chicken stock
- Fresh sage leaves or parsley to garnish
- Croutons to garnish
- Salt and black pepper
- Melt the butter, add the apple and parsnips, cover and cook for 10 minutes over a low medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sage, cloves and stock, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for half an hour until the parsnip is soft.
- Remove the cloves and sage leaves, cool slightly then purée in a food processor or blender. Return to the pan and reheat with the cream.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve hot garnished with the croutons and parsley or sage.
This creamy apple and parsnip soup recipe boasts the flavor of apples and parsnips, offering a rich and creamy experience. Parsnip soup is not that unusual but most people have never tried it when apples are added, and this really does add a unique and special flavor with plenty of sweetness and yumminess. This soup is probably more aimed towards the grownups although if your child does like the taste of parsnip then he or she might also like this soup, especially since it is sweet and kids tend to like that. Start them on these more unusual veggies young and they will be more likely to try new foods. Parsnips are healthy of course too, since they are a vegetable. This apple and parsnip soup recipe is not difficult to make and you can garnish it however you wish, with croutons, fresh herbs or anything else you like.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Micro Sim CutterFirst of all, what is a micro sim cutter? If you already have a sim-card then you might find your new phone will only accept a nano or micro sim size. So how do you trim your card to make it fit? Obviously making a mistake is going to make it pretty much useless. The answer is to invest in one of these cutters and cut your new sim easily and quickly. A good cutter will have adapters to transform your micro sim back to a regular size if you need to use it in a phone which takes that size. Some More Hot Content For You Greek Lamb Pasta Bake with Feta How to Make Vegetable Quiche Easy UK Appetizer Ideas Elegant Old Bay Shrimp Appetizers Perfect .....
- Bathroom Furniture to Enhance the Smallest RoomBathroom furniture can ensure that your bathroom looks and feels amazing, regardless of the size or style of the room. Many people overlook how vital the furniture is for this room, and it is often left to the last minute to choose. However, if you take the time and effort to select the correct items for your bathroom, you can make it feel incredible and inviting. There are several different pieces of bathroom furniture to choose from so you need to consider your needs and what you want the pieces to do for your room. You need to decide if you want fitted furniture, or pieces that can be moved easily. Both have advantages and will often .....
- Types of Chinese TeaWhy not pair your crispy fried crab Rangoon wontons with a refreshing cup of Chinese tea? There are many types of Chinese tea to choose from so you can quench your thirst and enjoy the delicious, fragrant taste. Chinese tea has a long history and the tea-drinking ritual has been around for over 1000 years. The Chinese were the first to discover the flavor of tea leaves, and tea is an integral part of daily life in China. Chinese tea used to be divided into four grades, depending on quality, and the Chinese tea culture was developed a lot during the Ming and Song dynasties, popularizing it in neighboring countries such as Korea and Japan. .....
- Traditional English Chicken Pot PiesPot pies make a great meal and, being English, I have tried lots of British pot pie recipes. Although some people claim pot pies are not English, I beg to disagree. English chicken pot pies are not only ‘a thing’ but they are yummy! In the UK if you eat ‘pub grub’ or a simple meal in a pub, you can expect at least one kind of pie on the menu. My own favorite is beef and ale pie, although chicken makes a nice change, either paired with corn or with mushrooms. I like either mashed potatoes or fries with mine, along with baked beans or some kind of vegetable. Although large pies which you can cut into wedges are nice, .....
- How to Make Caramelized CarrotsLearn how to make caramelized carrots because this winning side dish goes with everything. This very easy recipe makes a lovely side dish. Carrots offer a natural sweetness but adding butter and a little sugar to the carrots gives them a wonderful crunchy glaze. Pair these with meat or poultry, adding some mashed potatoes too, for a great dish. I like to peel and chop mine into fat matchsticks but it’s up to you whether or not to peel, and also whether to cut them into slices, chunks or strips. The thinner they are cut the less time they will take to cook. How to Make Caramelized Carrots: Honey or Sugar I have made this recipe before .....
- Strawberry Apple SmoothieThis wonderful strawberry apple smoothie recipe makes the most amazing smoothie. If you are in the mood for something cool, fruity and reminiscent of the summer then go ahead and make this. It only takes a few minutes and the flavor is amazing. The texture of our strawberry apple smoothie is not too thick or too thin but just right, so you can use a straw if you want. Frozen strawberries are always found in the bottom drawer of my freezer. Not only are they handy to thaw and add to yogurt or whiz up with cream sugar to make mousse, but they are cheaper than fresh strawberries. I save the fresh ones to enjoy with Greek yogurt as a dessert or .....
- Basic Prawn Cocktail RecipeA classic starter recipe, prawn cocktail is delicious and often features as a starter on Christmas day or another special occasion. This salad uses Salad Cream (a British condiment) but you can use mayonnaise in this basic prawn cocktail recipe if you prefer. Optional Tweaks There are lots of different prawn cocktail recipes and you can add halved cherry tomatoes or thin cucumber slices if you want. As long as the prawns are well drained, this recipe keeps well in the fridge for a few hours before serving. This is a very basic pawn cocktail recipe so if you are looking for something more elaborate, you might prefer to look at our classic .....
- Lamb Crackslaw with Hoisin SauceThis recipes uses leftover lamb, but you could use any leftover meat to make it. Just chop it into small pieces and then you can add it to the recipe. The vegetables add flavor and color to the dish, and you can feel free to use your favorites. I love lamb crackslaw because it’s tasty and oh so filling. If you want to swap the carrot for broccoli, for example, go ahead. This could be served with a starch on the side, but I usually just have it as it is, because it is satisfying enough like that. In fact it is really filling. This recipe is really appealing and even if you are not following a low carb diet you will love it. Hoisin sauce .....
- Crockpot Coffee Braised Beef RoastCoffee might sound like a strange ingredient to combine with beef, but it does lend this crockpot coffee braised beef dish a very rich and tasty flavor which complements the meaty beef taste. This recipe can be made in the crockpot and you don’t need many ingredients for it. To make this crockpot coffee braised beef you will need a boneless beef chuck roast weighing about 3 pounds, or slightly over, along with coffee and garlic. Throw in some water, cornstarch, salt and pepper, and those are the only ingredients you need. Just add your crockpot coffee braised beef ingredients to the crockpot then you can use the cooking liquid to make .....
- Chicken Yakitori RecipeChicken yakitori is a Japanese dish made with chicken meat or chicken offal which is threaded on to bamboo skewers and grilled. Order a chicken yakitori recipe in a restaurant in Japan and you will be asked whether you want it done with salt or with tare sauce (a sake, soy sauce, sugar and mirin condiment) and this will go on the chicken before cooking. A Traditional Japanese Flavor The following chicken yakitori recipe is very simple to make and you will love the flavor of it. The chicken is flavored with mirin, soy sauce, sugar, garlic and green onion, then grilled until done. While any part of the chicken can be used to make yakitori in .....