Authentic Hot Russian Borscht Soup
This bright red, Russian soup is delicious and famous. Enjoyed all over the globe, the flavor is unmistakable and this is quite a healthy dish as well. It takes a while to put together so wait until you have a clear day then take your time making it lovingly, and the result will please you so much. Although borscht is usually served cold, a hot Russian borscht soup can also be very good, especially if the weather isn’t the best and you want to be warmed up.
This nutritious recipe boasts onion, cabbage, potatoes and carrots, as well as the tasty beets which offer the distinctive flavor. You also have kidney beans in there, plus ketchup, bay leaves, lemon juice and dill, for a perfectly balanced flavor in the finished dish.
Use Fresh Beets in Hot Russian Borscht Soup if You Can
I prefer to make this hot Russian borscht soup with fresh raw beets, rather than the already-cooked kind, but if you are pushed for time you could use those. Choose the plain ones not the pickled kind.
Borscht can be made hot or cold. The hot variety is made with beef or pork broth along with potatoes and other hearty veggies, while the cold one is made with fresh raw beets, sour cream, cucumber and other summer vegetables.
Our recipe is traditionally Russian in style, and is best served piping hot, garnished with sour cream and served with whole wheat bread on the side. Yum to hot Russian borscht soup!
- 3 fresh medium beets
- 1 finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 grated carrots
- ½ finely chopped head of cabbage
- 14 oz (400g) can kidney beans with juice
- 3 sliced medium potatoes
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill weed
- 5 pints water
- 3 pints broth
- 5 tablespoons ketchup
- Sour cream, to serve
- 2 sliced green onions, for garnish (optional)
- Put the water in a big pot and add the beets.
- Boil covered, for an hour or until tender.
- Let them cool.
- Boil the potatoes in the beet-cooking water for 18 minutes or until tender.
- Put 4 tablespoons of oil in a skillet and saute the carrots and onion for 8 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the ketchup a couple of minutes before tender.
- Finely shred the cabbage and add it to the pot when the potatoes are about half-cooked.
- Slice the beets and cut them into matchsticks, then add them back into the pot.
- Add the chicken broth, pepper, bay leaves, lemon juice and beans with their juice to the pot.
- Add the cooked onion and carrots, and also the dill weed, and cook for 8 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
- Serve hot, with some sour cream on top, and maybe some green onions too.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Classic Crackslaw RecipePerhaps you have read about the classic crackslaw recipe on a low carb forum or one of your friends has been raving about it but what is crack slaw and why is it called that? Well, first things first, crackslaw is supposed to be addictive, which is how the name came about, but don’t worry, there is nothing illegal in it! It is addictive in a good way because it is a filling low-carb meal packed with nutritious ingredients. What’s In a Classic Crackslaw Recipe? This is an oriental inspired recipe featuring ground meat (or poultry or a vegetarian alternative) as well as cabbage or coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrot, usually). The .....
- Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée PotsThese are fantastic for Halloween, and suitable for the kids and grownups too. The desserts are served in little jars and you can tie some black ribbon around them to add that festive feel. Why not try this Halloween candy corn brûlée pots this Halloween? The recipe is made in stages. You will be making several layers, then assembling the Halloween candy crème brûlée pots at the end and using a kitchen torch to get the sugar topping nice and crispy. If you don’t have a kitchen torch just omit the last part. Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée pots Make Great Halloween Fare Halloween is a great time to experiment in the kitchen. You can rustle .....
- 3 Ingredient Cajun Griddled SalmonSalmon is one of my favorite fish to cook. It is high in omega-3’s which are essential for good health and the flavor is just amazing. That’s why I enjoy making this 3 ingredient cajun griddled salmon recipe. Sometimes I like to spice it up by adding Cajun, Mexican or Indian spices, but other times I like the salmon just as it is, perhaps with a squeeze of lemon or just some salt and pepper. Salmon is nice added to a risotto or quiche. There are so many things you can do with this wonderful fish. The following 3 ingredient cajun griddled salmon recipe just requires 3 ingredients, and those are some Cajun seasoning which you can .....
- Chinese Tea Smoked ChickenElegant appetizer recipe ideas are becoming more popular than ever before, as people begin to experiment more in the kitchen. You need to choose an appetizer that will impress your guests with your knowledge of food, and the distinct choice of flavors used to make the dishes. There are many different recipes to choose from, regardless of the occasion, and your budget. Take Chinese tea smoked chicken for example – this is certainly elegant as well as unusual. Presentation and Good Ingredients are Vital If you use a good recipe for your appetizer, you can achieve an exciting, elegant appearance with very basic ingredients. Expensive .....
- Hot Honey and Lemon Drink for the FluNobody likes to be suffering with a cold or the flu but if you are unfortunate enough to have it, then the good news is there is a wonderful hot honey and lemon drink for the flu you can make yourself quickly and easily, which will help you feel better. All you need are honey and lemon to make this hot honey and lemon drink for the flu, as well as some hot water, so while the kettle is coming to a boil, you can squeeze some fresh lemon juice. If you don’t have any lemons then squeezy lemon juice will do at a pinch. You might also want to add some whiskey, brandy or your favorite liquor. Although this does not do much for your cold or .....
- Best Tweed Jackets for WomenTweed suits and the best tweed jackets for women make a fashion statement and you can buy some gorgeous pieces. Look at some of the best tweed jackets for woman and find something which is perfect for you. They are warm, stylish and comfortable. Buy a tweed jacket and you can be the envy of your friends. Choose from Warm or Cool, Heavy or Light, Thick or Thin Fabric Tweed comes in many different colors and you can get different blends too, perhaps warm wool for a winter jacket or a lighter blend with cotton if you still want the look of tweed during the warmer seasons. Invest in tweed and you will have a staple in your closet which is never .....
- An Introduction to Appetizer RecipesThere are simple snacks and there are complicated ones. You have probably made appetizer recipes before, or snacks for parties. If you’re totally new to cooking maybe you are worried about making your own, but there is really no need because they are so easy. Sticking cocktail sticks into cubes of cheese counts as making a starter, as does opening a jar of olives and putting them into a dish. Of course these aren’t the most impressive dishes you could come up with! There are appetizer recipes and snacks for every occasion, whether you are catering for a party, a buffet, a sporting event, a coffee morning or something else. Some .....
- How to Create Your Own Curry RecipeThis is a 4-step guide to making curry, and you can make it as mild or as spicy as you wish. Follow the steps learning how to create your own curry recipe and you will end up with the most delicious dish. There is nothing to worry about when making such a dish and it is best to get creative. So read through this to find out the 4 stages of curry making, then get yourself into the kitchen and prepare something wonderful – no need to follow any recipe to the letter! Step 1 in this how to create your own curry guide is all about softening any dense ingredients which will take a long time to tenderize. If you are using tough cuts of meat .....
- Best Julienne PeelersEveryone needs one of the best julienne peelers in their kitchen drawer in 2017! One of these little gadgets will glide effortlessly over your vegetables to peel them or give you matchstick-thin pieces or little strips. Use these for making coleslaw, for prepping veggies for a salad or for making matching shapes for another use. You can also stir-fry or saute them and they cook very quickly when they are cut so finely. When reading reviews for these the main thing is how well the device in question works, and also how easy it is to use. There are different ones to choose from and whichever one you choose depends how often you plan to use it .....
- Recipe for Stuffed Squid TubesHearty ingredients like breadcrumbs, cheese, shrimp, tomato and onion are combined for the filling here, along with aromatics like cumin, paprika, cayenne and coriander. The squid are fried in a skillet on the stove and then sliced to serve. Try these stuffed squid tubes and discover just how wonderful homemade calamari recipes can be. Italian Style Stuffed Squid Tubes This stuffed squid tubes dish is a very tasty recipe and the use of seasonings and spices makes it an unusual one too because the Mediterranean filling is combined with bold spices to offer plenty of dimension to the flavor. This video is narrated and there are plenty of .....