Authentic Hot Russian Borscht Soup
This bright red, Russian soup is delicious and famous. Enjoyed all over the globe, the flavor is unmistakable and this is quite a healthy dish as well. It takes a while to put together so wait until you have a clear day then take your time making it lovingly, and the result will please you so much. Although borscht is usually served cold, a hot Russian borscht soup can also be very good, especially if the weather isn’t the best and you want to be warmed up.
This nutritious recipe boasts onion, cabbage, potatoes and carrots, as well as the tasty beets which offer the distinctive flavor. You also have kidney beans in there, plus ketchup, bay leaves, lemon juice and dill, for a perfectly balanced flavor in the finished dish.
Use Fresh Beets in Hot Russian Borscht Soup if You Can
I prefer to make this hot Russian borscht soup with fresh raw beets, rather than the already-cooked kind, but if you are pushed for time you could use those. Choose the plain ones not the pickled kind.
Borscht can be made hot or cold. The hot variety is made with beef or pork broth along with potatoes and other hearty veggies, while the cold one is made with fresh raw beets, sour cream, cucumber and other summer vegetables.
Our recipe is traditionally Russian in style, and is best served piping hot, garnished with sour cream and served with whole wheat bread on the side. Yum to hot Russian borscht soup!
- 3 fresh medium beets
- 1 finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 grated carrots
- ½ finely chopped head of cabbage
- 14 oz (400g) can kidney beans with juice
- 3 sliced medium potatoes
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill weed
- 5 pints water
- 3 pints broth
- 5 tablespoons ketchup
- Sour cream, to serve
- 2 sliced green onions, for garnish (optional)
- Put the water in a big pot and add the beets.
- Boil covered, for an hour or until tender.
- Let them cool.
- Boil the potatoes in the beet-cooking water for 18 minutes or until tender.
- Put 4 tablespoons of oil in a skillet and saute the carrots and onion for 8 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the ketchup a couple of minutes before tender.
- Finely shred the cabbage and add it to the pot when the potatoes are about half-cooked.
- Slice the beets and cut them into matchsticks, then add them back into the pot.
- Add the chicken broth, pepper, bay leaves, lemon juice and beans with their juice to the pot.
- Add the cooked onion and carrots, and also the dill weed, and cook for 8 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
- Serve hot, with some sour cream on top, and maybe some green onions too.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Strawberry Apple SmoothieThis wonderful strawberry apple smoothie recipe makes the most amazing smoothie. If you are in the mood for something cool, fruity and reminiscent of the summer then go ahead and make this. It only takes a few minutes and the flavor is amazing. The texture of our strawberry apple smoothie is not too thick or too thin but just right, so you can use a straw if you want. Frozen strawberries are always found in the bottom drawer of my freezer. Not only are they handy to thaw and add to yogurt or whiz up with cream sugar to make mousse, but they are cheaper than fresh strawberries. I save the fresh ones to enjoy with Greek yogurt as a dessert or .....
- Superb Summer Dessert IdeasSummer is a great time for refreshing and fruit-based desserts and other tempting, light summer dessert ideas. If you want to linger a bit longer at the dinner table and savor something sweet while you do it there are plenty of choices. Most of the time you will want to serve something to either cool people down or showcase the wonderful summer fruits available during the warm months of the year. A favorite summer dessert is ice cream. To make this common dish a little more special you can make it yourself. If you have an ice cream maker and a little bit of time you can create a special recipe for whatever you’re craving that day, thinking .....
- Easy Banana Bread with ApplesauceThis incredibly easy banana bread with applesauce recipe is made by combining bananas with applesauce, eggs, vanilla and flour. Some sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt also go into the mix. Making this is very straightforward because you just have to combine the ingredients in a bowl, transfer the resulting mixture into a greased loaf pan, and then you can bake it until done. Easy Banana Bread with Applesauce: Such a Tempting Snack Served hot with butter and honey, this makes the most amazing snack, and it is a great comfort food. Homemade banana bread appeals to all the family from the youngest to the most senior, and there are all .....
- Yeast Infections in Men and WomenYeast infections in men are more common than you may think although it’s fair to say many men tend to ignore their symptoms, which can lead to greater problems. The symptoms which men suffer with are incredibly similar to woman, and if diagnosed early can be treated easily. Men of all ages can suffer with yeast infections, and there are areas of the body, which are more likely to have issues. Many men dislike seeing a health professional, despite yeast infections in men being common. This leads to them suffering in silence, and not seeking help and advice. Embarrassment is often the cause of the denial, which is never a good idea, and .....
- Tastiest Marinade for SteakWe love a good steak in this house – rib-eye, filet mignon, sirloin, rump steak – the cut doesn’t matter because each of these boasts an incredible taste. When prepared correctly, steak has a melt-in-the-mouth texture. I don’t always use marinades when preparing steak but when I do I often use this one because it enhances the natural meaty steak flavor so well and for me this is for sure the tastiest marinade for steak. How Long to Marinate Steak in the Marinade A tough steak like chuck, skirt or flank can marinate overnight but if you are cooking something more delicate then 20 or 30 minutes is plenty long enough for .....
- Spinach Potato Knishes – Jewish Comfort FoodI first tried spinach potato knishes (pronounced kuh-NISH-es) at Kenny and Ziggy’s in Houston TX, and wow was this some spectacular comfort food. I’m British so I am used to Cornish pasties (a tasty pastry-enclosed meat and potato recipe from the southwest corner of England) and I also enjoy pastry-wrapped or pastry-enclosed vegetable recipes for lunch or as snacks. What are knishes, I asked myself, perusing the menu. Google to the rescue and I read the description. My mouth began to water and I thought wow I have to order these! So, now you’re asking what are knishes exactly? Well this tasty Jewish recipe is a savory pie. .....
- Healthy Banana and Carrot CurrySometimes the best recipes are the simplest, and it is a myth you have to use lots of different ingredients to make a nice curry recipe. Take the following healthy banana and carrot curry recipe for example. The main ingredients are carrots, banana and onion, and the sauce is made with curry powder, orange juice and a splash of yogurt. Use fat-free yogurt and you can see how healthy and low in both fat and calories this banana and carrot curry recipe is. Serve this banana and carrot curry with rice or naan bread or keep things healthy and have a chapatti bread with some raita (cucumber, yogurt and mint dressing) on the side. Perhaps you have .....
- Best Concealer for Dark CirclesAttempting to find the best concealer for dark circles may be daunting; however, there are some incredible products available, which can help with this common problem. Many women suffer with dark circles, which can be caused by numerous reasons. Lack of sleep, age, allergies and a poor diet can all result in your eyes appearing tired and darker than average. Ensure Your Eyes Look Incredible Your eyes are one of your best features, and they should look incredible at all times to give you confidence, and make you feel sexy. Natural remedies are often advised but using a top quality concealer, is a fantastic way to ensure that your confidence .....
- How to Griddle Chicken BreastThe griddle is a fantastic tool which I often use in the kitchen for cooking not only chicken but steak, fish and vegetables too. You need less fat than if you were to shallow fry or saute, and can expect attractive griddle marks, either lines or crisscross, depending how you turn the chicken while it is cooking. Learning how to griddle chicken breast is so easy and worthwhile. A nice cast iron griddle pan is a worthwhile investment, and since you can cook all kinds of meat, poultry, seafood, vegetables, and even some kinds of cheese (like halloumi) in there, you will find yourself using it frequently. Griddled Chicken Breast Uses One of the .....
- Tasty Tuna Fishcake RecipeIf you are looking for an easy tuna fishcake recipe, this one is simple to make and very tasty. The sweet potatoes add a Caribbean flavor and the canned tuna works very well in this fishcake recipe. For fish cakes tuna is always a good choice because it is tasty. Canned tuna is better than fresh tuna for fish cake recipes because it is more moist. Fresh or Canned Fish for a Tuna Fishcake Recipe? Salmon is often used to make fishcakes, both the fresh kind and the canned kind, but tuna is also popular. When making fishcakes it is usually better to use either leftover cooked fish (if it needs to be used up) or canned fish. Save the fresh filets .....