Carrot and Chestnut Soup Recipe
Carrot is an ingredient which is used in many different soup recipes and if you make this delicious carrot and chestnut soup recipe, you will discover that it is very tasty alongside chestnuts too. This is a rich and creamy soup as well as being vitamin-rich and very healthy as well.
Why Carrot and Chestnut?
Carrot and orange soup is a popular type but carrot and chestnut is not so well known. If you often make popular soups such as chicken noodle soup, potato soup, pumpkin soup or beef and tomato soups, why not try this carrot and chestnut soup recipe for a change?
You will like how the chestnuts taste in there. It is always good to experiment with different flavor combinations. Seriously, if you’ve never tried carrot and chestnuts together, do it – you’ll love it!
Serve this carrot and chestnut soup recipe with bread or crackers on the side if you wish. It is quite a thick and hearty soup so if you do not want to add bread or crackers, or made croutons to go on top, never mind, because it will still be really filling and you won’t be hungry after a bowlful of this.
- 300g (10½ oz) chopped carrots
- 300g (10½ oz) chestnuts
- 2 sprigs flat leaf parsley
- 2 sprigs thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 950 ml (4 cups) chicken stock 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 120 ml (½ cup) pouring cream (optional)
- Salt and black pepper
- Using a sharp knife, score the chestnuts on the base then microwave them on high for a couple of minutes (or bake at 200 degrees C or 400 degrees F for 15 minutes) until the shells open.
- Peel while warm.
- Melt the butter and oil in a pan over a medium high heat.
- Add the carrots, onion, celery, thyme, parsley and bay leaf and stir for 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, ginger, chestnuts, salt and pepper, cover and simmer until the chestnuts are tender.
- This will take about 20 minutes.
- Remove the herbs and keep 2 tablespoons of the vegetable and chestnut mixture on one side.
- Process the vegetables and stock in a blender until smooth then put it back in the pan.
- Add the pouring cream and warm through without boiling. Ladle the soup into 4 bowls, top withe the reserved vegetable and chestnut mixture and sprinkle some parsley on the top.
The velvety texture of a creamy soup is always welcoming, and the unmistakable flavor of parsnips, blended with a hint of tart cooking apple, is very warming. Root crops of all types thrive in fertile East Anglian soil, but parsnips don’t reach their peak until after one or two hard frosts. You can see how rich and creamy this carrot and chestnut soup recipe is and it would work well as either a starter recipe or even for lunch. Soups served with some nice warm, crusty bread work well for lunch even in the summer, whenever you fancy something warm and filling. Many people like to make extra soup and warm some up for lunch the following day.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Tuna Nicoise SaladThe classic French tuna nicoise salad is made with tuna, tomatoes, eggs, and nicoise olives. It can be served on a platter or on single plates. Some people like to serve it on a bed of salad leaves while others do not. You can use cooked or canned tuna. Perhaps you have had this before in a French restaurant, in which case it would have been made with ahi tuna (or canned tuna if it was a more casual setting). The following recipe shows you how to recreate this wonderfully balanced dish yourself. Optional Ingredients in Tuna Nicoise Salad Optional ingredients in tuna nicoise salad might include shallots, sweet red peppers and artichoke .....
- Review of Every Yankee Candle Tart ScentI love Yankee Candle Tart Wax Melts and can’t seem to stop buying them! Since I have tried pretty much every scent, I thought I would share my Yankee Candle Tart scent reviews with you, to inspire you to try new scents and discover a new favorite perhaps. I have an electronic tart burner as well as a tea-light one, and my husband and I both like trying new fragrances in our home. The first time I ever tried using wax tart melts was when I found a bargain set in one of the local shops here in Holland including a tea-light burner and a few small melts. They were unbranded and didn’t smell that appealing but I liked the concept and .....
- Chilled Crunchy Raw Crack SlawThis raw crack slaw recipe shows you how to make coleslaw style crackslaw. While crack slaw is usually made hot in a wok and served like a Chinese dish, this recipe is different, surprisingly so if you have made the regular kind a few times already. Instead of being cooked the cabbage mixture is tossed together cold and then you let it stand until the flavors are better blended. Then serve it raw. Yep, this is a recipe for raw crack slaw, and it tastes fantastic! Flavored with all the best ingredients like vinegar, citrus juice and sesame oil, this raw crack slaw will fulfill all your hunger pangs and leave you really satisfied. Serve it .....
- 30 of the Best Easy Chili RecipesLook at this tempting selection of recipes and consider making chili for dinner tonight. After reading some of these easy chili recipes perhaps you won’t be able to resist! Nothing beats yummy chili, after all. Chili con carne is so simple to make and it is really flavorful. Here we have not only 30 recipes for chili but also plenty of hints and tips to ensure yours comes out really well, and also some videos and other suggestions to ensure your best chili recipes are always a huge success, and something you will eagerly anticipate making again and again. Chili con carne has a rich history with much speculation regarding where the dish .....
- Authentic California CuisineCalifornia is known for its amazing food, earmarked by a tradition of fruit, fresh leafy salads, fresh flavors, and organic dishes, although there is plenty of variety in Californian cooking, including fusion cuisine using fresh local ingredients. An attractive presentation is important in authentic California cuisine. Californians enjoy cooking with lean meats and seafood, fresh fruit and veggies, and anything low in saturated fat and high in nutrition. Japanese, Chinese, Italian, French, and Mexican cuisines have all influenced the fusion cuisine of California. California Food Pioneers Alice Waters has contributed to authentic .....
- How to Cook a T Bone Steak in a PanT bone steak is relatively lean and extremely tasty. Choose one with a nice red color and a bit of marbling and then you can pan fry it for amazing results. If you usually grill your steaks, consider pan-frying instead because you will still get a really good flavor, plus ‘grill marks’ if you are using a griddle pan (a ribbed pan) and if the weather isn’t quite warm enough to fire up the grill, you can still cook your T bone to perfection. Learn how to cook a T bone steak in a pan and you can prepare a side dish in the oven at the same time, and always know how to make juicy, tasty steak. Cooking the T bone steak in a pan .....
- Oven Baked Turkey Burgers with FetaMaking a change from your usual burgers perhaps, these boast the lighter flavor of turkey. We are adding lemon and oregano for flavor, and stuffing the oven baked turkey burgers with feta cheese for a wonderful tang. The mint-cucumber dressing with these oven baked turkey burgers adds a Mediterranean touch, and you just need to combine equal parts of yogurt and grated cucumber to make it, adding in some fresh mint too. Oven baking these burgers is simple although you may pan-fry them if you prefer, or even pop them on the barbecue if it’s fired up already. If you wish to prepare the patties in advance you can just leave them in the .....
- Herring, Potato and Dill Salad RecipeFish and potatoes have been served together for centuries and dill complements both of them. Sour cream, mayonnaise and gherkins finish off this delicious fish starter recipe perfectly. This herring, potato and dill salad recipe is easy to make and suits any occasion. Simple But a Nice Balance There are not many ingredients in this tasty herring recipe and that is because they would be unnecessary. This is a perfectly balanced dish and one of our more interesting starter recipes. Herrings are delicious and if you want ideas for fish starters, this is well worth considering. Some More Hot Content For You Easy UK Appetizer Ideas Elegant Old .....
- A Guide to Seattle, WashingtonSeattle, Washington is not the capital of Washington state, but it sure is worth a visit and a guide to Seattle, Washington is a handy thing to have. Many people think of Washington as a dreary, rainy place and being the birthplace of grunge music didn’t really help its image much. Seattle can be gloomy in the winter, but spring, summer, and fall are beautiful times to visit and see what the Emerald City has to offer. Spring in Seattle is a fun time in this guide to Seattle, Washington, because everyone is starting to come out of hibernation. One of the great ways to do that is to go visit the Moisture Festival, which is a local comedy and .....
- Bamboo Shoot and Pork WontonHere we are looking at making bamboo shoot and pork wonton. Pork and shrimp might sound like a strange combination but as wonton fans everywhere know, it is a magical mixture! Add bamboo shoots, green onions and a few other choice ingredients and you have wonton soup to die for. These wontons are meaty, fish and full-flavored. If you use water, then you will get soft wontons. Wontons are boiled in liquid when you want them to be soft and fried when you want a crispy finish. Another way to get a soft finish is to steam the wontons. This bamboo shoot and pork wonton recipe is easy to make and even if you’re new to wonton making you will .....