Chicken Tortilla Soup with Rotel Tomatoes
Chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorite soups. I love everything about it – the juicy chicken, the tomato-ey broth, the crisp tortillas on top, the cheese, just… everything! I like to keep my soup recipes simple, so you will see the following is as streamlined as I could make it. Grab the ingredients you need and make this. I promise, whether you want a light lunch or simple supper, you’re going to love it. There are lots of different chicken tortilla soup with Rotel tomatoes recipes to try but I happen to like this one just because it is so easy.
What You Need to Make It
Along with the cooked chicken and Rotel tomatoes you will need refried beans, chicken broth, corn and either some fried tortilla strips or broken tortilla chips, whichever you have.
If I am jazzing this up, I might add a scoop of sour cream and some avocado on top, and I like to add a good amount of shredded Mexican blend cheese as well. Those additions to the basic recipe make all the difference, but they are purely optional. So just add what you want to have.
This chicken tortilla soup with Rotel tomatoes makes a great meal and it’s surprisingly filling too. There are crockpot chicken tortilla soup recipes too, but honestly if you’re using leftover shredded chicken you might as well simply mix the ingredients together in a pan and cook the soup in a matter of minutes.
Make This Chicken Tortilla Soup with Rotel Tomatoes Your Own
The chicken is the main protein in this dish, but feel free to swap it for beef, shrimp, tofu or anything else you want, depending on what you like. Make this soup your own and you will love it all the more.
I often order a cup of chicken tortilla soup with Rotel tomatoes in restaurants, just because I love it, but make your own and you will be able to control not only the protein but also how spicy it is (throw in those chilies if you want!) as well as the toppings. I like to sprinkle the finished soup with chopped cilantro.
- 20 oz (600g) Ro*Tel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 16 oz (450g) canned refried beans
- 28 oz (850 ml) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup (95g) frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups (250g) shredded cooked chicken
- ¾ cup (60g) fried corn tortilla strips or broken tortilla chips
- Chopped cilantro (fresh coriander) and/or shredded cheese, to serve (optional)
- Stir the tomatoes (not drained), beans, broth and corn together in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Add the chicken and heat the soup through.
- Serve hot, topped with the tortilla strips and, if liked, some cilantro and/or cheese.