Cream of Spinach Soup
This cream of spinach soup is comparable to a vichyssoise which is a creamy French potato soup but adding spinach gives it a different flavor, as well as a distinctive color. This is lovely served with crackers or just with some bread on the side. The flavor is magnificent and this is one of the best things you can do with spinach.
An immersion blender is handy when making this cream of spinach soup because you can avoid pureeing it in batches in the blender, but if you don’t have one, that doesn’t matter too much.
Use fresh spinach in this cream of spinach soup recipe so you get the lovely fresh flavor. This makes a nice appetizer, lunch or light evening meal. The garnishes are up to you and you don’t even have to add one if you don’t want to.
Health Benefits of Spinach
Spinach is a really healthy ingredient to use. This edible flowering plant is low in saturated fat and cholesterol. It is also a good source of zinc and niacin, as well as vitamins A, C, E and K, protein, folate, manganese, copper, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, iron, vitamin B6, thiamin and riboflavin.
With that in mind, you might like to make this cream of spinach soup. The health benefits of this vegetable are huge, and the other ingredients work in harmony with the spinach to offer the most delicious flavor. Use vegetarian broth and bouillon cubes if you want to keep things vegetarian. If you don’t have Half & Half, use single cream or the local equivalent.
- 2 cups (225) chopped fresh spinach
- ¼ cup (47g) butter
- 1 lb (450g) peeled quartered potatoes
- ¾ pint chicken broth
- ¾ pint water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 pint Half & Half
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- ¾ cup (180g) sour cream
- Chopped chives and ground allspice, for garnish (optional)
- Sauté the onion in the butter for 3 minutes in a pot.
- Add the potatoes, water, chicken broth and bouillon cubes.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the spinach and cook for 3 minutes longer or until the spinach is tender.
- Purée the soup in a blender in batches then return it to the pot.
- Whisk in the Half & Half, salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup close to a simmer but not quite then whisk in the sour cream.
- You can use an immersion blender to get the cream fully blended in.
- Serve hot or chilled, garnished with chopped chives, sprinkles of allspice, or a dollop of sour cream if you want.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Easy Marinated Chicken SkewersThis tasty chicken recipe will get your dinner off to a good start. Everyone will enjoy the flavor of these easy marinated chicken skewers regardless of the season or occasion. Don’t worry if you are new to cooking chicken because it really is easy. These kebabs are full-flavored and everyone is sure to love them. Most barbecued meats should be marinated overnight but since the chicken is chopped before you marinate it, a couple of hours in the fridge will be sufficient to infuse them with marvelous flavor. Simple Flavors Here This easy marinated chicken skewers recipe is simple and the herbs, garlic and lemon juice are the main .....
- Authentic Italian Meatballs with BasilThese delicious and authentic Italian meatballs with basil can be served hot or cold and they make a really nice starter recipe. Serve them with a tomato-based dip or a creamy dip for the best results. You can use a shop-bought tomato salsa or garlic mayonnaise dip if you want to, or put something together yourself. Different Kinds of Meatballs There are lots of meatballs recipes to choose from and you have probably tasted Swedish meatballs, pork meatballs or other meatballs recipes before. This recipe for authentic Italian meatballs with basil is very simple and the meatballs are steamed rather than fried or baked, to keep them juicy and .....
- American Chinese CuisineAmerican Chinese food is a fusion cuisine, and was designed to make authentic Chinese food more acceptable to Western palates. Chinese eateries began to appear in the 1800s in San Francisco, and they first catered to Chinese immigrants, and then to miners and railroad workers. This is the history of American Chinese cuisine. Local ingredients were used and cooks adapted Chinese recipes to suit the Western taste. Chinese people were excluded from many jobs at this time by lack of fluency in English or by racial discrimination, so many worked in Chinese restaurants or Chinese laundries. Traditional vs. Westernized Chinese Food Traditional .....
- Pesto Spaghetti with Easy MeatballsThis is a great pesto spaghetti recipe to make if you are in the mood for Italian but also looking for something you can just throw together and have on the table half an hour after you thought of making it! Spaghetti and meatballs is a typical Italian dish which combines pasta and meat in a simple way, and although a tomato sauce is often served with such a dish, pesto spaghetti is also nice and it is what we are using here, although you can switch one for the other if you like. We are making baked meatballs and you can prepare the pesto spaghetti while the meatballs are baking, then have everything together at once. Make sure you have some .....
- Corned Beef Hash with a TwistThis corned beef hash recipe is fantastic and it is versatile enough to be breakfast, brunch, lunch, or just a comfort food snack if you are in the mood for it. The twist is the cream in the recipe and even though that might sound like an odd ingredient for corned beef hash it totally transforms it from good to great, so give this recipe a try and this might be how you make your corned beef hash from now on. As well as the potatoes and corned beef you will need butter and cream to add a luxurious mouth feel, onion and bell pepper to add nutrients, color and crunch, and some eggs if you wish to garnish your corned beef hash with fried eggs .....
- Easy Wonton Recipes with PorkWontons are great when served as a snack or appetizer and if you have only ever eaten meat ones in a Chinese restaurant or had them from a takeout, you really are in store for a treat when you make your own easy wonton recipes with pork. Any home cook will be able to manage this recipe without too much effort although, like with most dishes, the more you make these, the easier the process will seem to become. Different Cooking Methods for Easy Wonton Recipes with Pork Deep-fry them for crispy, crunchy snacks, or steam or simmer them for a softer result. You could even poach them in your favorite broth for a wonderfully warming lunch or .....
- Healthy Easy Spiralizer Recipes and IdeasA spiralizer isn’t the most commonly talked about kitchen gadget, but it’s definitely one that has been gaining popularity recently. If you haven’t heard of this interesting invention before a spiralizer is basically a neat, time saving tool that turns vegetables into thin, noodle like strips to use in a bunch of different dishes. There are plenty of easy spiralizer recipes to have a go at too. If you have ever tried to thinly slice a zucchini using a julienne peeler, or worse – a knife – and given up halfway through because it was taking too long then the spiralizer will be your new culinary sidekick. The way a spiralizer works .....
- 12 Simple Indian Recipes for BeginnersIndian is one of my favorite cuisines and I just love the food. I have traveled around India and tasted the dishes how they are supposed to be made, because westernized Indian food really isn’t the same at all. I like to make simple Indian recipes for beginners because I just love the flavors but don’t have all day to cook. Indian food features all kinds of proteins from pork to chicken, fish, seafood, lamb and eggs, although beef isn’t used much in India, not at all in most places, because the cow is seen as holy in India. Indian curries are cooked over an open flame traditionally, and include plenty of aromatic spices as well as .....
- How to Make Satay Sauce in 2 Minutes Using 3 IngredientsYou only need 3 ingredients to make the best satay sauce recipe. It is so easy! Learn how to make satay sauce and you will want to make this often. Satay sauce can be served with chicken or beef kabobs or fries, or you can serve this easy peanut sauce recipe as a dip for pretty much anything. If you’re making some kind of fried rice dish like egg fried rice or nasi goreng, microwave this for 45 seconds or until hot then let it cool for a minute (so it thickens back up) and it will be an amazing accompaniment. How to Make It Like a Pro When you know how to make satay sauce, you will want to perfect this skill. The key to making it is to .....
- Stacking Jewelry Tray SystemStackers are the ideal way to store your precious trinkets and the best thing about these is you get to choose which trays you want to have. I have a stacking jewelry tray system and really love it. Got a lot of earrings but not many rings? Then pick some of the earring trays and don’t get a ring tray. Got lots of chunky bracelets? Then get a tray divided into 3 or not divided at all. You can see how this works now! You can personalize your own stacking jewelry tray system and make it as tall as you wish. Choose from the small or large width/depth depending how big you want it and how many trinkets you have to store. A stacking jewelry .....