Easy Tofu Pho
Pho is a delicious Vietnamese noodle soup made with rice noodles, broth, meat, seafood or a vegetarian alternative, and herbs. Beef and chicken are the most popular flavors but you can make a great vegetarian pho with tofu. This easy tofu pho is just gorgeous and you’ll love the flavors.
This is a well-loved street food in Vietnam, and the Southern Vietnamese enjoy it for breakfast or lunch, while those in the north of the country have it at any time of the day or evening.
History of Pho Soup
This dish dates back to the early 1900s and refugees introduced it to the rest of the world after the Vietnam War. There is no proof of the cultural influences responsible for this soup or where the word pho comes from, because it is not well documented. There are Saigon and Hanoi styles, each made with different width noodles, herbs and broth sweetness, and other types of pho such as fusion varieties in experimental restaurants. Try our easy tofu pho recipe if you’re new to pho and don’t want to use meat.
In the late 1920s pho vendors experimented with a cinnamon, star anise, clove and sesame seasoning but this didn’t really take off. Rare beef pho was popular by 1930 and it’s believed chicken pho came out in 1939 (maybe because you couldn’t get beef on Mondays or Fridays during this era).
More than a million people fled North Vietnam for the South in 1954 which is when pho really took off in the South of Vietnam. Various garnishes like bean sprouts, cilantro, lime, hoisin sauce, chili sauce and cinnamon basil were experimented with and soon became incorporated into the standard recipe. Privatized pho restaurants in the North started making pho noodles from old rice, while street vendors had to use noodles made with imported potato flour.
Our Recipe for Easy Tofu Pho
The following easy tofu pho recipe is made with tofu along with onions, ginger, broth, hoisin sauce and more. There are some optional ingredients in the list, along with some serving suggestions. This makes 4 large portions of easy tofu pho or 6 smaller ones.
- 64 fl oz (2 liters) meat or vegetable broth (preferably homemade)
- 1 tablespoon peeled, grated fresh ginger root
- Salt, to taste
- 6 thinly sliced green onions
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- 1½ tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 7 oz (200g) uncooked rice noodles
- 7 oz (200g) firm tofu, chopped into blocks
- 8 oz (230g) bean sprouts
- 6 oz (170g) shiitake mushrooms, tough stems removed
- 2 thinly sliced jalapeños
- Fresh cilantro, basil, hoisin sauce, lime wedges and chili-garlic sauce or hot sauce
- Put the broth in a large pot with the ginger, salt and green onions.
- Bring it to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Cook the rice noodles in the broth, for the amount of time stated on the package.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over a moderate heat.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté them for 6 minutes or until tender.
- Stir them often.
- Now stir in the tofu, sesame oil and hoisin sauce.
- Cook for a minute or until the sauce has thickened.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Divide the rice noodles between 6 large bowls.
- Fill each one with the broth.
- Add bean sprouts, mushrooms and/or jalapeños if using.
- Garnish with cilantro and basil.
- Serve hoisin sauce, lime wedges and/or chili-garlic on the side if liked.
Some More Hot Content For You
- How to Grill MusselsWhen the weather is cold, mussels steamed in the pan with white wine and parsley makes a wonderful meal, served with warm garlic bread. Then maybe follow them up with some mulled wine or hot apple cider. This is why everyone should know how to cook mussels. When the weather turns warm, such a dish might not offer the same appeal but that’s when the barbecue comes into play and grilling season is in full swing. In the following recipe we are taking live mussels and cooking them in foil packets. They are served with a butter, parsley and white wine sauce, along with some bread. This makes a lovely appetizer for 4 or an entrée for 2. If .....
- Authentic Pasta con le Sarde RecipePasta con le sarde is a typical Sicilian dish. The name translates to mean ‘pasta with sardines’ and the sardines along with fennel are the main 2 ingredients in there, those which give it the characteristic taste. Saffron, currants or raisins, pine nuts, and toasted almonds or capers also enrich the dish, offering a unique and special flavor in the finished meal. There are different pasta con le sarde recipes, some of which include tomato pulp and others which do not. Some are finished off in the oven for a few minutes so the pasta can finish cooking in there. When to Make a Pasta con le Sarde Recipe Make this pasta con le sarde .....
- Elizabethan Chicken in Cream SauceThis delicious Elizabethan chicken in cream sauce recipe features chicken breasts, a lean and healthy choice, as well as onion and chicken stock for the base. The real appeal comes when you add grapes and sour cream, transforming this dish into something fruity and unique. Nutmeg and cider vinegar add a spicy twist to the flavor, and this may be served on rice or on a bed of mashed potatoes. Like most of our recipes, this Elizabethan chicken in cream sauce is pleasingly simple to put together. First you need to brown the chicken and then just keep it warm while you prepare the rest of the dish. Golden pan-fried onions are then simmered with .....
- Parma Ham with Melon RecipeThis Parma ham with melon recipe is super easy and makes a great bite before any kind of main meal. Parma ham and melon are wonderful together. The delicate texture and saltiness of the Parma ham is the perfect contrast to the juicy sweetness of the melon. No wonder this is such a classic starter recipe. Always Up to Date Not only is this Parma ham with melon recipe a classic flavor pairing but it is also a timeless starter. What could be simpler than draping thin slices of ham over melon wedges? You only need 2 ingredients to make it so this is a good dish for any home chef to work on, even a total beginner. If you can make a cup of tea, .....
- Oven Roasted Tomatoes with GarlicThis oven roasted tomatoes with garlic recipe is perfect if you want a side dish. Combining the natural sweetness of fresh tomatoes with garlic and herbs, this is such a simple recipe and it makes a change from the usual platter of roasted root vegetables, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob or broccoli. Not that there is anything wrong with those of course but sometimes it’s nice to have a change of pace. Everyone loves tomatoes whether they are canned, fresh, cherry, plum or another kind, because this vegetable (well, technically a fruit) goes with just about everything. Try this oven roasted tomatoes with garlic dish and you’ll .....
- Brilliant Bruschetta RecipeA bruschetta recipe is one of the best Italian appetizers. It is made by rubbing garlic over grilled bread, then adding olive oil, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Some types of bruschetta recipe might also include cured meat, cheese, tomatoes, beans, or vegetables. The best-known bruschetta recipe outside Italy features fresh tomato, garlic and onion, fresh basil, and mozzarella. So Many Bruschetta Recipe Options A great bruschetta recipe is found on Italian restaurant menus all over the world, and there are hundreds of different ways to make it, which is why restaurant bruschetta ranges from bland to wonderful, depending who is making it. Make .....
- Healthy Banana and Carrot CurrySometimes the best recipes are the simplest, and it is a myth you have to use lots of different ingredients to make a nice curry recipe. Take the following healthy banana and carrot curry recipe for example. The main ingredients are carrots, banana and onion, and the sauce is made with curry powder, orange juice and a splash of yogurt. Use fat-free yogurt and you can see how healthy and low in both fat and calories this banana and carrot curry recipe is. Serve this banana and carrot curry with rice or naan bread or keep things healthy and have a chapatti bread with some raita (cucumber, yogurt and mint dressing) on the side. Perhaps you have .....
- Vintage 1970s Kitchen Ideas and Accessories1970s kitchen ideas are considered to be retro, and many people are choosing this style for their kitchens today. Retro is a style that can be difficult to determine; however, many designers consider the 1960s and 1970s to be the perfect retro era. Introducing Retro Vintage Kitchen Style Kitchens are the perfect place to use retro items, and you can enhance the room wonderfully using fewer accessories than you might think you need. It is not hard to find such pieces either, even though the seventies were 40 years ago. You can also get reproduction pieces in the iconic 70s design rather than vintage ones, depending what you prefer. Pick out .....
- Best iPad Mini Cases with KeyboardSee all the best keyboard cases for iPad Mini and pick out your favorite. There are iPad Mini cases with keyboard for every taste and budget, no matter whether you want a cute pink one, a handy one which doubles as a padded case, something neat for work, or something else. The iPad Mini is the newest Apple product on the market but there are already plenty of cool accessories for it. If you have one of these tablets already then you will want a cover to keep it safe and a keyboard to make typing speedier. Touch typing on the screen is time-consuming because it is usually one-fingered unless you have mastered the art of typing quicker on .....
- How to Make a White Wine Pasta SauceAlthough pasta goes great with all kinds of sauces, the gentle aromatic appeal of a white wine pasta sauce is something incredibly special. White wine pasta sauce is so easy to make and other ingredients which go well with the wine include garlic, butter and parsley. A lot of these white wine pasta sauce recipes might include olive oil instead of the butter, or alongside it, and you can make such a sauce even if you don’t really drink white wine, since you are just using it for a rich flavor and typically only need a splash. When making a white wine pasta sauce, it is important to use a white wine you would drink, not something labeled .....