Fresh Mexican Soup Recipes
If you love both Mexican food and soup, prepare yourself to discover more about lovely south of the border soups. There are certainly a lot of Mexican soup recipes to sample and they are ideal for special occasions, perhaps Easter, Christmas or someone’s birthday, and the spicy ones are great when the weather is chilly because they are wonderfully warming.
Not all Mexican soup recipes are spicy though. Some are mild and others are sweet. Some of them can be served as appetizers while others are better for the entrée or even as dessert. There really is something for everybody.
Take cream of jalapeño soup, which is ideal when the weather is cold, and boasts garlic, tomatoes, avocado, and chilies. This might sound spicy but control the amount of jalapeño and you can tailor it to your palate.
Tortilla soup is also gorgeous (keep reading – we have a recipe for it coming up!) and popular south of the border as well. This can be a creamy soup or non-creamy, and choose whether to use chicken or beef, or whether to keep it vegetarian. Corn tortilla strips are what makes this particular soup stand out and those work well with various Mexican soup recipes actually.
The Appeal of Menudo
This traditional Mexican soup is spicy and features tripe. The campesinos (Mexican country dwellers) long ago used to be poor so fussiness about food wasn’t possible. They just had to eat what they had. Pretty much all the parts of the cattle were used including brains, organs and tails. The stomachs of the sheep and cows were used to make menudo, and making this dish means the tripe is teamed with cilantro, oregano, lime juice, and onions. Are you curious if this is one of the Mexican soup recipes you ought to make? Read on and learn more.
Tripe needs to be cooked for a long time to tenderize it, which is why menudo is usually made in big batches to make it worth cooking. Pozole is a famous soup, especially in the Mexican state of Chihuahua, but it uses faster-cooking meat instead of tripe.
Back to menudo though – did you know Mexico imports tripe from the US and Canada because it is such a popular soup and they wouldn’t have enough tripe else? Menudo is said to cure a hangover or at least speed up your recovery. It is also served at special occasions because it is traditional.
Fantastic Fresh Ingredients in Mexican Soup Recipes
Mexicans love to cook with fresh ingredients and will often buy whatever is in season and then fashion a soup or other dish out of that, rather than finding a recipe and then going shopping for the ingredients. Mexican cooks prefer to use fresh vegetables to canned or frozen ones, and the same goes for fruit and other produce.
This is one of the best things about Mexican cuisine and in particular Mexican soup recipes – the freshness. Maiz blanco is found in pozole soup, and this traditional corn has big kernels and it is soaked in a lime mixture to flavor it. Pozole also includes onions, chilies, pork, and various seasonings. It is enjoyed in the Southwest of the US (New Mexico in particular) as well as in Mexico itself.
Dessert Soups and More
Another option is dessert soups. Atole de freso is a strawberry soup which is made with milk, cinnamon, masa and strawberries, and it is usually served warm. You can get it in some Mexican restaurants or make your own. It is nice for dessert if you don’t want something too heavy after your entrée.
There are so many soups in Mexican cuisine ranging from sweet ones with pumpkin, berries and coconut to savory and spicy ones. Sample some at your favorite Mexican restaurant to discover what you like, then recreate your own at home, using fresh ingredients wherever possible. The following recipe for Mexican chicken soup can be made in the crockpot. Simply add all the ingredients and let it cook slowly, then serve with crispy tortilla strips and your favorite garnishes.
Want something simpler? Try our simple chicken tortilla soup recipe – you can make it with just six ingredients.
- 1 lb (450g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 10 oz (290g) can mild enchilada sauce
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 4 oz (115g) can chopped green chilies
- 10 oz (290g) can corn kernels, drained (or use frozen corn kernels)
- 1 cup (235 ml) water
- 15 oz (425g) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups (700 ml) chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 15 oz (425g) can black beans, drained (optional)
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (optional)
- 3 corn tortillas
- 2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Chopped fresh tomatoes
- Fresh lime wedges
- Sliced avocado
- Flour tortillas
- Shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese
- Sprigs of parsley or cilantro
- Put all the ingredients except the corn tortillas, olive oil and optional garnishes in a slow cooker.
- Stir then cover and cook for 7 hours on low or 3½ hours on high.
- Take out the chicken breasts 30 minutes before the end of cooking and use 2 forks to shred them.
- Return the chicken to the crockpot and keep cooking.
- Meanwhile, cut the corn tortillas into strips using a pizza cutter or sharp knife.
- Either cook them in the oil in a skillet until golden, then drain on paper towels, or brush with oil and bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) in the oven for 10 minutes, flipping once.
- Season with salt.
- Ladle the soup into bowls (you can put a flour tortilla in the bottom of the bowl first if you want).
- Add the tomatoes, lime wedges, avocado and/or cheese, if liked.
- Sprinkle the tortilla strips on top and garnish with some fresh herb sprigs.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Best Concealer for Dark CirclesAttempting to find the best concealer for dark circles may be daunting; however, there are some incredible products available, which can help with this common problem. Many women suffer with dark circles, which can be caused by numerous reasons. Lack of sleep, age, allergies and a poor diet can all result in your eyes appearing tired and darker than average. Ensure Your Eyes Look Incredible Your eyes are one of your best features, and they should look incredible at all times to give you confidence, and make you feel sexy. Natural remedies are often advised but using a top quality concealer, is a fantastic way to ensure that your confidence .....
- Fried Shrimp Wontons with Water ChestnutsShrimp or prawns are a very popular wonton filling and who can resist a wonton appetizer recipe – crisp wontons stuffed with a juicy shrimp and water chestnut mixture? The following easy fried shrimp wontons with water chestnuts recipe shows you how to make gorgeous little dumplings which taste amazing. Replace the sugar with sweetener if you prefer, or just leave it out. You can make these fried shrimp wontons with water chestnuts as sweet or otherwise as you personally prefer. A touch of sweetness in a wonton recipe appeals to a lot of people but not to everyone. The other flavors – the sesame oil, ginger, chili and soy sauce – also .....
- Deep-Fry Like a Chinese ChefAlthough stir-frying is more popular in Chinese cuisine than deep-frying, it is worth learning both. Discover how to deep-fry like a Chinese chef and it will open up many new possibilities of Chinese dishes you can prepare. You can either use a wok or a deep-fat fryer for deep-frying. If you are using a wok, slide the food in carefully, as you will not want spattering if you are going to professionally deep-fry like a Chinese chef. Add the ingredients in small amounts and do not crowd the wok, else you might get spillage or spattering, or the temperature might drop too fast. Most recipes will suggest that you heat to oil to about 365 degrees .....
- Easy Beef Chow MeinAn easy beef chow mein is one of the tastiest Chinese dishes and if you are in the mood to rustle up your own, rather than ordering takeout, you can expect not only to save money but also to be able to enjoy a superior, more authentic flavor. You can make this easy beef chow mein in about 15 minutes flat, maybe less, and enjoy it for lunch or dinner. Different Types of Chow Mein Chow mein translates to mean fried noodles. Chow means ‘fried’ and ‘mein’ means noodles. There are 2 main variations of the dish – Hong Kong style which is with crispy noodles, or steamed chow mein. In this recipe we are pairing beef and .....
- Easy Baked Chicken Breasts with TomatoesThis easy baked chicken breasts with tomatoes dish is a wonderful recipe for busy weeknights. All you need to do is add the chicken with the other ingredients to an ovenproof dish and then bake it until the chicken is cooked through. Yes it really is that easy to make this wonderful easy baked chicken breasts with tomatoes meal! Recipes like this appeal to the whole family from the smallest to the most senior, and you can either make the recipe as it is written, or take a look in your refrigerator and see which vegetables you have which can be used up. Serve the finished baked chicken with asparagus and mashed potatoes, with broccoli and .....
- 4 Budget Hotels in the South of Gran CanariaThere are plenty of great hotels to choose from in Gran Canaria’s sunny south, so if you are in the mood to soak up some sun in Playa del Ingles or Puerto Rico, consider the following budget hotels in Gran Canaria and see which you fancy. Finding your own flights and booking a hotel separately, instead of booking a package, means you get more control over dates and times, as well as how you fly and where you stay. No wonder many people like to book their own flights and accommodation, so they can create the tailor-made holiday of their dreams. Some More Hot Content For You Tender Oven Baked Short Ribs Decadent Chocolate Walnut Cake .....
- Traditional English Chicken Pot PiesPot pies make a great meal and, being English, I have tried lots of British pot pie recipes. Although some people claim pot pies are not English, I beg to disagree. English chicken pot pies are not only ‘a thing’ but they are yummy! In the UK if you eat ‘pub grub’ or a simple meal in a pub, you can expect at least one kind of pie on the menu. My own favorite is beef and ale pie, although chicken makes a nice change, either paired with corn or with mushrooms. I like either mashed potatoes or fries with mine, along with baked beans or some kind of vegetable. Although large pies which you can cut into wedges are nice, .....
- Cream of Spinach SoupThis cream of spinach soup is comparable to a vichyssoise which is a creamy French potato soup but adding spinach gives it a different flavor, as well as a distinctive color. This is lovely served with crackers or just with some bread on the side. The flavor is magnificent and this is one of the best things you can do with spinach. An immersion blender is handy when making this cream of spinach soup because you can avoid pureeing it in batches in the blender, but if you don’t have one, that doesn’t matter too much. Use fresh spinach in this cream of spinach soup recipe so you get the lovely fresh flavor. This makes a nice .....
- Easy Roasted Duck LegsDuck legs are much simpler to cook than duck breast, although that is not difficult either. Moreover they are nearly impossible to overcook because of the fat content keeping them succulent. All you need for the following easy roasted duck legs recipe are duck legs, thyme, salt and pepper, although you can also cook potatoes in the oven with the duck if you wish. Adding Potatoes to Your Easy Roasted Duck Legs If you do want to cook potatoes with the duck, simply peel and chop or slice potatoes and arrange them around the duck in the oven, then they can cook together. The reason I usually roast the potatoes is because the fat coming out of .....
- Greek Couscous SaladThe following Greek couscous salad offers all the wonderful flavors typically found in Greek salad. Those include feta cheese, tomatoes, Kalamata olives and cucumber, along with a bright and zingy lemon-based dressing. But then you also have couscous in there which works perfectly and makes the Greek couscous salad more filling. This Greek couscous salad is a versatile dish which can be served as an appetizer or main dish, perhaps teamed with some crusty bread and aioli or butter. It can be served chilled or at room temperature although we prefer it at room temperature because the flavors are better that way. Making a change from a Greek .....