Hot and Sour Soup – Chinese Style
Hot and sour soup Chinese style is always good. It is sure to warm you up when you are feeling chilly, it offers a true Asian flavor in every sip, and it makes a lovely appetizer.
There are different styles of hot and sour soup recipes to choose from, ranging from Chinese to Thai, from mild and aromatic to fiery hot. I love them all, or at least I love trying them all. Sometimes they are just that little bit too spicy for me! The good thing about making your own versions of hot and sour soup Chinese style though are that you can add as little or as much spice as you like.
The following hot and sour soup Chinese style recipe makes a delicious and authentic Chinese hot and sour soup, and it is very easy to make. Just get your ingredients together and add them to the pot in the right order. The final touches are drizzling beaten egg into the soup, so it cooks in strands, and garnishing with green onion.
You can serve this hot and sour soup Chinese style as an appetizer if you wish, although I often have it for lunch and find it perfectly filling. It is surprisingly filling actually!
If you are going to present it as an appetizer, you will probably want to serve something Chinese afterwards, and vary the meat so if you are using chicken in the soup then don’t serve chicken as the entree, and the same goes for the pork.
If you want to make this hot and sour soup Chinese style vegetarian, that is also possible. Just omit the chicken or pork and use vegetable stock. It won’t taste quite the same but why should the non-carnivores miss out?
Hot and sour soup is a wonderful option and you can make it as mild or as spicy as you want. You can also vary the garnish, swapping the green onion for cilantro perhaps, or adding a squeeze of lemon or lime to up the acidity (although the vinegar does a good job of that).
- 3½ pints chicken stock
- ¼ pound (115g) julienne cut lean pork or chicken
- 2 tablespoons garlic chili paste
- 14 oz (400g) can sliced bamboo shoots
- 14 oz (400g) sliced water chestnuts
- 14 oz (400g) baby sweetcorn
- ½ pound (230g) silken tofu, in ¼ inch cubes
- 1 cup (100g) sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 14 oz (400g) can peeled straw mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 beaten eggs
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup (60ml) white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Finely chopped green onion, for garnish
- Bring the stock to a simmer in a pot, then add the soy sauce, mushrooms and garlic chili paste and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the meat, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, corn, tofu and black pepper, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch with 5 tablespoons of water and stir this in.
- Bring the soup back to a simmer and drizzle the beaten egg over the surface. It will cook in strands immediately.
- Garnish with green onions and serve right away.
Photo courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/cchen/680622141
Some More Hot Content For You
- Create Your Own Wonton FillingsAfter making a number of steamed wonton recipes, there will come a time when you wish to create your own wonton fillings. Although you can use pretty much any kind of meat, poultry or fish in your wonton filling, it is important to grind or chop it as finely as you can. You need your ingredients to be very small for wonton fillings, so you can mix everything together better. Anything which is not cut into small enough pieces means you risk the wonton wrapper coming apart while they’re being cooked and then the filling will leak out which obviously you don’t want to happen. Create Your Own Wonton Fillings: What to Use Throw some .....
- Cauli Rice with Orange, Lime and CilantroCauliflower rice, or cauli rice as it is affectionately known, is a wonderful substitute for rice, offering a mere fraction of the calories and carbs or rice, yet offering a very similar texture and a neutral flavor. You can do so much with it and there are plenty of cauliflower rice recipes to choose from. This cauli rice with orange, lime and cilantro recipe is easy to prepare and it’s yummy! I like to use a medium or strong-flavored sauce to disguise the cauliflower flavor – not that cauliflower has much of a taste at all, but just to make it as rice-like as possible. Try Chinese rice with cauliflower instead of rice, or .....
- Gourmet Potato Salad with WalnutsPotato salad is always good, but what if you are in the mood for an elegant gourmet potato salad with walnuts rather than the comfort food style? The following recipe shows you how to add a gourmet twist to this all-American classic recipe, making it perfect for any special occasion. Potato salad offers not only delicious flavors but also a softness in the mouth, and it is this soft texture that we love. This gourmet potato salad with walnuts recipe features walnuts however, to add an unusual crunch to the dish. You will love how well the sherry vinegar and walnut oil combine, as well as how the other flavors work so nicely in the dish. .....
- Easy Baked Chicken Breasts with TomatoesThis easy baked chicken breasts with tomatoes dish is a wonderful recipe for busy weeknights. All you need to do is add the chicken with the other ingredients to an ovenproof dish and then bake it until the chicken is cooked through. Yes it really is that easy to make this wonderful easy baked chicken breasts with tomatoes meal! Recipes like this appeal to the whole family from the smallest to the most senior, and you can either make the recipe as it is written, or take a look in your refrigerator and see which vegetables you have which can be used up. Serve the finished baked chicken with asparagus and mashed potatoes, with broccoli and .....
- Thai Corn FrittersThese delicious spicy Thai corn fritters are so quick and simple to put together and they make a tasty appetizer or side dish. All you need to make these is some corn kernels (you can use drained canned corn, or even thawed corn kernels), a little flour and an egg. Then to finish off you just need some minced or finely chopped chili pepper and a little Thai fish sauce. How to Serve Thai Corn Fritters Try these as a side dish or appetizer, or make them as the main dish, perhaps with some tasty salad on the side. You might like to make a batch of Thai appetizers to showcase these, so everyone can try different Thai treats, or else just make .....
- The Best Casserole Dishes to BuyAlthough it can be nice to have casseroles in many shapes, sizes and colors, that is not always practical. That is, unless you have a huge budget and a lot of storage spare. Instead it makes more sense to figure out what type of casserole you need, the brand you prefer, and the size and shape you want. Also consider the material the dish is going to be made of. Then you can get the best casserole dishes for your household. You might want to start off with one casserole dish, or you might like to invest in a set. Perhaps your favorite casserole broke and you are shopping for a replacement, in which case you will find you have more choice .....
- How to Sear Scallops without StickingSearing scallops is so simple, and searing them without sticking is just down to ensuring your pan is hot enough when you add them, and also down to adding enough fat. I know firsthand that learning how to sear scallops without sticking can be a frustrating learning curve. Scallops aren’t cheap and ruining a batch by cooking them wrong is a costly mistake! You will need to use oil or butter (I like to use both) to stop them sticking and you will also want to wait until the fat begins to smoke before adding those scallops. How to Sear Scallops without Sticking Pro Tip: Get the Pan Really Hot! If your pan is hot enough the scallops will .....
- Easy 3 Ingredient RecipesThere are easy 3 ingredient recipes for every occasion, season and palate. Perhaps you are in the mood to make a hearty meat dinner or something fancy with fish. It could be that you are looking for easy 3 ingredient recipes for the crockpot because you are going to be out all day and you know you’ll get home late and want to eat dinner and fall into a comfy chair in front of the TV with something already made. Or what about making three ingredient sauces or dips for your meat, fish or chips? Some of our drinks recipes are sure to tempt you too. There are recipes for every skill level, whether you have barely set food in the kitchen .....
- Metallic Nail PolishThis product comes in a variety of gorgeous shades and the metallicness offers something special if you want a fashion forward look. Metallic nail polish isn’t for everyone but if you can carry it off it certainly looks stunning. Choose silver or gold for a special occasion, magnetic if you want to make crazy patterns, or something more neutral like bronze or shiny blue or gray for a funky, edge look. Metallic Nail Polish: The Option of Stickers If you do not want to paint anything on, you can get stickers which are nail-shaped stickers that adhere to your nails and look like you’ve had a proper manicure. This is a great way of .....
- Greek Stuffed Squid with Parsley and White WineKnown all over the world, this wonderful Greek take on stuffed squid is a surefire way to anyone’s heart. Greek stuffed squid with parsley will win its way to anyone’s heart. Want to impress someone? Easy! Just make this! Who else cooks seafood with as much passion or commitment as the Greeks? Greek stuffed squid with parsley is sure to be a hit. Well, perhaps other Mediterranean countries too, but this recipe is one of the nicest, and all the passion of the Greeks goes into selecting and preparing the ingredients, and the result is something you can call ‘gourmet’ and is definitely both well-balanced and highly .....