Japanese Scallop Soup with Snow Peas
Light and aromatic, this Japanese scallop soup recipe is easy to make and makes a lovely appetizer, lunch or light evening meal. It can be made very quickly using whichever veggies you happen to have.
The base of the Japanese scallop soup is chicken or vegetable stock and miso, then there are udon noodles and scallops in there too. You will be wowed by this recipe and want to make it again and again, because the flavor is so good.
What are Udon Noodles?
Have you tried udon noodles before? They are white, thick and a little chewy. Wheat-based, udon noodles are one of my favorite Japanese exports. You can get them fresh from the refrigerated section in the Asian store, or dried. If you don’t have them you can use linguine or another kind of noodle or pasta.
Shimeji or shiitake mushrooms are good in this Japanese scallop soup, but just use button mushrooms if you have them, or maybe you have a mixed mushroom pack, in which case use that. The addition of miso to this exciting soup gives it a typical Japanese flavor.
More About Miso
Fresh miso keeps about 6 months in the refrigerator so it is well worth having, because it is used in so many tasty Japanese recipes. You can even freeze it. If you are using another kind of miso, not white miso, reduce the amount used by 2 teaspoons since shiro miso is the mildest and least salty out of all of them.
- 2 tablespoons white miso (shiro miso)
- 12 scallops (very well drained if thawed)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 14 oz (400g) udon noodles
- 2 pints chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 diagonally chopped green onions
- 6 sliced fresh mushrooms (any kind)
- Handful of fresh snow peas
- Cook the udon noodles according to the instructions on the package and drain.
- Bring the stock to a boil in a pot then turn the heat down to medium.
- Add the mushrooms and snow peas and cook for a minute or until the snow peas are crisp-tender but still bright green.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Heat the oil in a skillet then fry the scallops for a minute per side or until cooked through.
- Spoon the miso into a bowl and add a ladle of hot broth.
- Whisk until the miso is completely dissolved, then pour the entire mixture into the pot with the soup.
- Do not boil the soup with the miso in it else the miso will become gritty.
- Stir in the noodles, scallops and vegetables, then divide between 4 dishes and serve right away.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Low Carb Tortilla PizzaThis low carb tortilla pizza is incredibly good and it takes about 10 minutes to make and the same again to cook. Whether or not you have made pizza before, you will find this low carb tortilla pizza incredibly simple, and the sky is the limit as far as toppings are concerned. Use a low-carb tortilla to make your pizza. I recommend the Mama Lupe ones because they’re so good and only 3 carbs (and 60 calories) each. And they are the closest in flavor to regular tortillas. I also tried the La Tortilla brand for my low carb tortilla pizza because those are only 50 calories each but… nope not as good as the Mama Lupe ones. This low .....
- Easy Pakora RecipeBefore we go into the details of our easy pakora recipe you might be wondering what is pakora exactly. That is a very good question! Pakoras are made by combining grated or finely chopped vegetables (and perhaps other ingredients) with Indian spices, then cooking the results in little balls until crispy, either frying or baking them. Hot and Typically Indian This crispy Indian snack is best served hot. There are different types of pakora, and you can use meat to make it or even keep it vegetarian. These treats may be served alongside other Indian favorites, such as a chicken curry and rice, or you can enjoy them as an appetizer. Some people .....
- Different Kinds of Starter RecipesThere are many different kinds of starter recipes, ranging from basic two or three ingredient combinations which you can put together in one minute flat, to the more elaborate and gourmet style dishes which are a mixture of many ingredients and take a long time to create. There are different dishes for different occasions and you should always match the type of food you serve with the people who are going to be eating it and the type of occasion itself. Old Favorites and Classic Starters There is nothing wrong with sticking to tried and tested recipes if you aren’t sure what to make. There are many kinds of starter recipes to choose .....
- Easy Tomato and Onion FocacciaFocaccia is a tasty Italian bread which complements all kinds of dishes. Although you can buy it from the bakery or grocery store, making your own easy tomato and onion focaccia loaf is worthwhile because let’s face it – you can’t beat freshly baked bread! And this one is certainly no exception. How to Serve Focaccia You can serve this easy tomato and onion focaccia as an appetizer, either alone or with dips like sour cream dip or onion dip, or else have it with your main dish. If you are having beef, chicken or similar in a sauce, focaccia bread can be used to scoop up every last drop of those yummy meat juices, making it .....
- Prada Infusion d’Iris Perfume ReviewThis Prada Infusion d’Iris perfume scent has been around since 2007 if you are wondering what year it came out, and this is a beautiful fragrance. Read on for some links to discount Prada Milano if you want to buy some of this gorgeous perfume for yourself or a friend. How Prada Infusion d’Iris Perfume Smells You will be able to smell orange as well as orange blossom, mandarin and galbanum and then iris, vetiver and cedar come in afterwards. This delicious fragrance is held in a delicate glass vessel which has a retro look and feel about it. If you haven’t been able to get Prada Infusion d’Iris out of your head it is .....
- Chicken Wonton Soup with CabbageThis flavorful chicken wonton soup with cabbage also has green onions, sesame oil and more. If you are looking for an alternative to pork wonton soup recipes you might enjoy this one. You can make the filling up to 2 days in advance if you like. This flavorful chicken wonton soup recipe makes a healthy dinner or a warming lunch and you can even enjoy it as a snack in the middle of the morning of afternoon, whenever you aren’t ready for a meal but you want something more substantial than just a cup of coffee, which is not going to fill you up too much but still warm your belly and put a smile on your face. Chicken wonton soup recipes .....
- Anchovy Wrapped OlivesThis anchovy wrapped olives recipe is very simple and shows you how to make anchovy wrapped olives. The recipe is perhaps one of the simplest you have seen, since you only need two different ingredients to make it, and this basic salty snack is beautiful whether you enjoy it with a cold beer, a glass of wine, a soft drink or even a warm beverage. Anchovies are salty, fishy and have an interesting texture, while olives are smooth, soft and the pimento filling is somewhat sweet. Anchovy Wrapped Olives: Making Your Own When paired, these two ingredients offer a beautiful savory flavor and a wonderful balance. These anchovy wrapped olives are .....
- New Pasta Recipes to TryThere is so much you can do with pasta, and also so many kinds to choose from. White or whole wheat pasta, penne, spaghetti, pasta twists, linguine… the list goes on. You can make hot recipes such as baked pasta dishes, or chilled ones like a salad. You can serve it as an entree or side dish, and there are many new pasta recipes to try. Pasta is economical and filling, and there are plenty of wonderful Italian recipes using it. Try the big noodles to make lasagna, long pasta like linguine or spaghetti to serve with a meaty sauce, or pasta shapes to make pasta salad or to cling to a thick sauce. Quick and Easy Pasta Recipes If you want .....
- Quick ‘n Easy Lemon and Lime SalmonThis is an incredibly easy recipe and a great way to prepare salmon. Here we are adding lemon and lime juice to the fish, along with lemon and lime zest if you like. You could stick to either lemon or lime or, like I prefer to do, use some of each for a more interesting flavor in this lemon and lime salmon recipe. Add the zest too if you want, to add more citrus flavor to the salmon and also to add a decorative touch. Last time I made this lemon and lime salmon recipe, I sprinkled some Old Bay seasoning over the salmon. I wasn’t sure whether my husband would like it because he hates celery and celery seed is a major ingredient in Old .....
- Gorgeous Kitchen Accessories for Every TasteMost people have more technology in their kitchens than in any other room and these items are very useful for preparing all kinds of meals. Cooking is a lot of fun and time-saving appliances, gadgets and kitchen accessories make short work of cooking. Having an attractive kitchen is half the fun too and whether you are looking for retro red kitchen accessories, useful cheap kitchen accessories or something to suit your individual tastes, there is certainly plenty for you to choose from. Cooking is a stress reducer and sadly many people rely on quick, easy meal recipes rather than focus on making good quality food. Kitchen gadgets cut down on .....