Potato Leek Soup with Bacon
This warm and delicious potato leek soup with bacon recipe makes a wonderful starter. The ingredients are very simple, and the main flavors come from the potatoes, leeks and bacon. The milk and cream add a wonderful, luxurious creaminess and the chicken stock gives the soup a good flavor.
What Kind of Stock to Use for Potato Leek Soup with Bacon
You could use vegetable stock if you wanted to but the best thing to use is fresh chicken stock rather than using stock cubes. Choose lean bacon for making this leek potato soup recipe, rather than streaky bacon, both for the better texture and a meatier flavor.
Other Tweaks You Can Make
For a healthier soup or a less creamy one, you can just leave out the cream. If you don’t want a chunky soup, puree everything in the blender including all the leeks and bacon. The croutons add a nice crunch to this leek and potato soup recipe and you could bake them instead of toasting them if you prefer. Toss them in olive oil and dried herbs if you want to make a gourmet croutons recipe.
Potato Leek Soup with Bacon: Warming and Comforting
Potato leek soup is a classic British starter recipe and if it’s a winter warmer you’re after this recipe is hard to beat. This is quite a filling soup, especially with the croutons, so only give people small bowlfuls if you expect them to eat their main course too! You can double up this leek and potato soup recipe if you want to and have it reheated for lunch the following day.
- 300g (10.5 oz) peeled, sliced potatoes
- 300g (10.5 oz) sliced leeks
- 290ml (1.25 cups) milk
- 50ml (1/5 cup) single cream (light cream)
- 150g (5⅓ oz) chopped bacon
- 700ml (3 cups) chicken stock
- 4 slices bread
- Black pepper, to taste
- Saute the bacon, leeks and potato slices in a pan until everything is tender but not browned.
- You can use the microwave instead if you prefer.
- Stir in the stock and keep cooking until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove some of the bacon and leek slices for garnish, then blend the rest of the soup in batches in the blender.
- Put it back in the pan and stir in the milk and cream.
- Toast the bread and cut it into cubes to make croutons.
- Divide the soup between 6 serving dishes and garnish with the reserved bacon and leek slices. Serve the croutons on the side so people can help themselves.
This delicious potato leek soup with bacon makes an amazing starter. Served hot, the leek, potato and bacon flavors clearly shine through and the milk, cream and chicken stock combine to give an aromatic taste. This is a simple soup recipe but a classic one which has stood the test of time. Potatoes and leeks are winter vegetables and they can be used to make stews and casseroles, as well as starter recipes like this one. Soup starters are great at dinner parties and if you want to serve something rich, full flavored and warming, leek and potato soup with bacon is an excellent choice.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Best Baked Chicken Breast with Cream of Chicken SoupThis baked chicken breast with cream of chicken recipe is quick and easy. It makes a great family dinner and everyone at the table will enjoy it. All you need to make this is chicken, a can of cream of chicken soup, milk, and poultry seasoning. The resulting baked chicken breast with cream of chicken is juicy and delicious, and pairs wonderfully with mashed potatoes, pasta or rice, and pretty much any vegetable. Try asparagus, broccoli, carrots, corn on the cob, or even colorful mixed veggies. An Incredibly Easy Baked Chicken Breast Recipe Anyone can make this baked chicken breast with cream of chicken recipe because it is really simple, .....
- Understanding Yeast Infection SymptomsYeast is present throughout your body at all times, and only becomes an issue when it begins to rapidly grow and you start to notice yeast infection symptoms. This fungus is something that everyone should be aware of, and understand the symptoms behind the infection. Once you understand the different symptoms, you can discover the solutions to this uncomfortable problem. Discovering the Different Forms You may be surprised to discover that vaginal yeast infections do vary and that there may only be a few similarities. This can make identifying yeast infection symptoms a little trickier. Each form of infection will need to be treated in a .....
- Smoked Salmon Pizza with CapersIf you are looking for new ideas for pizza, something other than the meat feast or tomato and cheese pizza you usually have, consider this brand new take on the Italian favorite. Topping with smoked salmon and capers, this offers a fresh, light flavor, and a gourmet appeal. If you are looking for an elegant Italian recipe which is easy to prepare rather than fussy, consider this smoked salmon pizza with capers and enjoy the smooth texture of the salmon and the salty little bursts of flavor in the capers as well as the satisfying pizza crust. The smoked salmon pizza with capers takes a while to make, especially since the dough is homemade and .....
- Chinese Calamari Szechuan StyleMany people enjoy Chinese recipes at least once a week, as the meals are simple to prepare and cook, making them quick and easy for everyone. Chinese appetizers can be enjoyed before a traditional Chinese meal, and many people enjoy this style before their normal main dish, Chinese or not. You might want to try this Chinese calamari Szechuan recipe and see how you find the spice and flavor. There are various authentic flavors from China which you will already be familiar with, and you can get many Chinese ingredients from the regular grocery store, although an Asian grocery store is your best bet if you want to stock up on such ingredients. .....
- How to Griddle Chicken BreastThe griddle is a fantastic tool which I often use in the kitchen for cooking not only chicken but steak, fish and vegetables too. You need less fat than if you were to shallow fry or saute, and can expect attractive griddle marks, either lines or crisscross, depending how you turn the chicken while it is cooking. Learning how to griddle chicken breast is so easy and worthwhile. A nice cast iron griddle pan is a worthwhile investment, and since you can cook all kinds of meat, poultry, seafood, vegetables, and even some kinds of cheese (like halloumi) in there, you will find yourself using it frequently. Griddled Chicken Breast Uses One of the .....
- Vaginal Yeast Infection HelpYeast infections are commonly found in the vaginal area and a huge amount of women suffer with this form of infection every year. This is when they desperately search for vaginal yeast infection help. The technical term for this infection is Candidiasis, and is often caused by the yeast in your body growing far too fast. The species of fungus that produces this problem is Candida and is present in your body at all times. This fungus will grow and spread rapidly when provided with the ideal conditions, such as a warm, moist place to thrive. When the yeast grows to an uncontrollable level, the infection will begin, which can vary from mild to .....
- Quick and Easy Banana PancakesWhether you are looking for a tasty breakfast recipe, a quick snack or even a sweet treat when you get peckish in the evening, this easy banana pancakes recipe is ideal. You can combine the ingredients in a couple of minutes, then cook the pancakes in a skillet on the stove for a few minutes. Serve them just as they are, drizzled with some syrup or perhaps will chopped fruit or berries as a filling. You can also tweak our recipe, perhaps adding some cinnamon or nutmeg or even a little brown sugar. The sweetness of the banana means you don’t really need to add any sugar to the pancake batter, especially if you are going to serve it with .....
- Classic Crackslaw RecipePerhaps you have read about the classic crackslaw recipe on a low carb forum or one of your friends has been raving about it but what is crack slaw and why is it called that? Well, first things first, crackslaw is supposed to be addictive, which is how the name came about, but don’t worry, there is nothing illegal in it! It is addictive in a good way because it is a filling low-carb meal packed with nutritious ingredients. What’s In a Classic Crackslaw Recipe? This is an oriental inspired recipe featuring ground meat (or poultry or a vegetarian alternative) as well as cabbage or coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrot, usually). The .....
- Spicy Veal Crackslaw with MushroomsI spotted some ground veal in the grocery store last week and, since I had never tried it before, decided to use it to make veal crackslaw. I am always looking for new ideas. Crackslaw is always good but I can get bored with beef at times. You can use any kind of ground meat to make crackslaw and I like veal escalope, so I thought why not see how ground veal works out? I combined the veal with mushrooms and other veggies, as well as all the Asian seasonings crackslaw is famed for, and the results were impressive. I really liked it! As well as the veal, I used a package of sliced veggies including mushrooms and leeks, to make this veal .....
- Tuna Nicoise SaladThe classic French tuna nicoise salad is made with tuna, tomatoes, eggs, and nicoise olives. It can be served on a platter or on single plates. Some people like to serve it on a bed of salad leaves while others do not. You can use cooked or canned tuna. Perhaps you have had this before in a French restaurant, in which case it would have been made with ahi tuna (or canned tuna if it was a more casual setting). The following recipe shows you how to recreate this wonderfully balanced dish yourself. Optional Ingredients in Tuna Nicoise Salad Optional ingredients in tuna nicoise salad might include shallots, sweet red peppers and artichoke .....