Potato Leek Soup with Bacon
This warm and delicious potato leek soup with bacon recipe makes a wonderful starter. The ingredients are very simple, and the main flavors come from the potatoes, leeks and bacon. The milk and cream add a wonderful, luxurious creaminess and the chicken stock gives the soup a good flavor.
What Kind of Stock to Use for Potato Leek Soup with Bacon
You could use vegetable stock if you wanted to but the best thing to use is fresh chicken stock rather than using stock cubes. Choose lean bacon for making this leek potato soup recipe, rather than streaky bacon, both for the better texture and a meatier flavor.
Other Tweaks You Can Make
For a healthier soup or a less creamy one, you can just leave out the cream. If you don’t want a chunky soup, puree everything in the blender including all the leeks and bacon. The croutons add a nice crunch to this leek and potato soup recipe and you could bake them instead of toasting them if you prefer. Toss them in olive oil and dried herbs if you want to make a gourmet croutons recipe.
Potato Leek Soup with Bacon: Warming and Comforting
Potato leek soup is a classic British starter recipe and if it’s a winter warmer you’re after this recipe is hard to beat. This is quite a filling soup, especially with the croutons, so only give people small bowlfuls if you expect them to eat their main course too! You can double up this leek and potato soup recipe if you want to and have it reheated for lunch the following day.
- 300g (10.5 oz) peeled, sliced potatoes
- 300g (10.5 oz) sliced leeks
- 290ml (1.25 cups) milk
- 50ml (1/5 cup) single cream (light cream)
- 150g (5⅓ oz) chopped bacon
- 700ml (3 cups) chicken stock
- 4 slices bread
- Black pepper, to taste
- Saute the bacon, leeks and potato slices in a pan until everything is tender but not browned.
- You can use the microwave instead if you prefer.
- Stir in the stock and keep cooking until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove some of the bacon and leek slices for garnish, then blend the rest of the soup in batches in the blender.
- Put it back in the pan and stir in the milk and cream.
- Toast the bread and cut it into cubes to make croutons.
- Divide the soup between 6 serving dishes and garnish with the reserved bacon and leek slices. Serve the croutons on the side so people can help themselves.
This delicious potato leek soup with bacon makes an amazing starter. Served hot, the leek, potato and bacon flavors clearly shine through and the milk, cream and chicken stock combine to give an aromatic taste. This is a simple soup recipe but a classic one which has stood the test of time. Potatoes and leeks are winter vegetables and they can be used to make stews and casseroles, as well as starter recipes like this one. Soup starters are great at dinner parties and if you want to serve something rich, full flavored and warming, leek and potato soup with bacon is an excellent choice.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Cute Pink Cell PhonesAlthough you can get pink cellphone cases and covers to transform pretty much any phone into a pink one, you can also buy really cute pink cell phones. Cute pink cell phones come in various styles and prices, and are really cute. If you are looking for a pretty pink phone, keep reading because we have tracked down all the best bargains. Anyone who likes girly things will find these so cool. Having a pink phone is different to snapping a pink cover or case over a black, white or gray phone, because the actual phone is pink, and that means you do not have to snap a case or cover on to the phone or even buy one. It also means you do not have to .....
- The Evolution of Starter RecipesIt’s interesting to learn about the evolution of starter recipes. Starters, or appetizers as they are also known, are served in most cuisines and cultures. These snacks were served in ancient Persia thousands of years ago and ancient Roman aristocracy used to enjoy eggs, fruit and similar treats before eating their main course. Appetizers have been served for many years in the UK as a snack before the main course arrived but modern ones can be quite different from old fashioned ones. Of course, you can still serve traditional recipes but it is also fun to experiment with the wide range of ingredients that are available today but that .....
- Vegan Squash Crostini RecipeThis is a delicious vegan dip which sits on crispy crostini. This vegan squash crostini recipe is a great appetizer for vegans and you can use sweet potato instead of squash if you prefer. You don’t have to be a vegan to enjoy this lovely vegan recipe, and if you are having a mixed crowd (ie some vegans and some veggies and others who are carnivores) this is a nice offering because it’s suitable for everyone. What is Crostini? Before you make this vegan squash crostini recipe you might like to know more about the dish. Crostini means toasted bread, and of course the Italian word sounds much more elegant. It can be topped with .....
- Mexican Spiced Hot ChocolateWhen the weather is cold outside and you want to sip on something hot and comforting, what better beverage could there be than Mexican spiced hot chocolate? But we are not talking about just any hot chocolate here. There is regular hot chocolate and then there is a south of the border delight! For the ultimate satisfying drink, make some Mexican spiced hot chocolate and allow the chocolate to caress your soul while the spices offer added warmth and flavor. Nice and Spicy Chipotle chili pepper and cinnamon add a lovely touch to this Mexican spiced hot chocolate, and you will love the finished flavor. Feel free to use your favorite cocoa or .....
- Authentic California CuisineCalifornia is known for its amazing food, earmarked by a tradition of fruit, fresh leafy salads, fresh flavors, and organic dishes, although there is plenty of variety in Californian cooking, including fusion cuisine using fresh local ingredients. An attractive presentation is important in authentic California cuisine. Californians enjoy cooking with lean meats and seafood, fresh fruit and veggies, and anything low in saturated fat and high in nutrition. Japanese, Chinese, Italian, French, and Mexican cuisines have all influenced the fusion cuisine of California. California Food Pioneers Alice Waters has contributed to authentic .....
- Best Collection of Cheeseball RecipesFind out how to make a delicious cheeseball by combining ingredients like cheese, garlic, cream cheese, nuts, bacon and other ingredients. Cheeseball recipes have been around for decades but they never lose their appeal! So what do you serve with cheeseball recipes? Well they are great for dipping crackers, chips or bread slices and the softer ones are even good with softer ingredients. Take your pick but crackers are my preference. Do You Serve Cheese Balls Chilled or Not? Well you can leave your cheese ball at room temperature to soften it or keep it chilled until serving for extra firmness. But don’t serve it too cold or you .....
- Delish Fish Crack SlawI love trying new ways of making crackslaw, and fish makes a nice, light alternative to meat. Of course, it is carb-free just like meat is, and you can choose anything between sole for a light flavor or cod for a richer flavor. I really enjoyed this fish crack slaw and want to make it often. There are plenty of other types of fish you can use in fish crack slaw as well and examples that come to my mind include tilapia, snapper, halibut, monkfish, dogfish, basa fish, and haddock. As long as it’s skinless and boneless it will work. Don’t use imitation seafood in fish crack slaw though, like those imitation crab pieces or crab .....
- American Chinese CuisineAmerican Chinese food is a fusion cuisine, and was designed to make authentic Chinese food more acceptable to Western palates. Chinese eateries began to appear in the 1800s in San Francisco, and they first catered to Chinese immigrants, and then to miners and railroad workers. This is the history of American Chinese cuisine. Local ingredients were used and cooks adapted Chinese recipes to suit the Western taste. Chinese people were excluded from many jobs at this time by lack of fluency in English or by racial discrimination, so many worked in Chinese restaurants or Chinese laundries. Traditional vs. Westernized Chinese Food Traditional .....
- Authentic Italian Meatballs with BasilThese delicious and authentic Italian meatballs with basil can be served hot or cold and they make a really nice starter recipe. Serve them with a tomato-based dip or a creamy dip for the best results. You can use a shop-bought tomato salsa or garlic mayonnaise dip if you want to, or put something together yourself. Different Kinds of Meatballs There are lots of meatballs recipes to choose from and you have probably tasted Swedish meatballs, pork meatballs or other meatballs recipes before. This recipe for authentic Italian meatballs with basil is very simple and the meatballs are steamed rather than fried or baked, to keep them juicy and .....
- Types of ShowersShowers have become popular additions to bathrooms all over the world as more people become aware of saving water. Another reason for having a shower fitted is to save space, and for many people this is vital. You can choose between a variety of different types of showers to suit your needs and budget. Before rushing out to purchase a new shower, you will need to consider several different elements, which will determine the style of shower that you choose. You will need to think about the amount of people in the household, and your current heating system. The right shower should cater to all your needs and suit you perfectly. Choosing a .....