Potato Leek Soup with Bacon
This warm and delicious potato leek soup with bacon recipe makes a wonderful starter. The ingredients are very simple, and the main flavors come from the potatoes, leeks and bacon. The milk and cream add a wonderful, luxurious creaminess and the chicken stock gives the soup a good flavor.
What Kind of Stock to Use for Potato Leek Soup with Bacon
You could use vegetable stock if you wanted to but the best thing to use is fresh chicken stock rather than using stock cubes. Choose lean bacon for making this leek potato soup recipe, rather than streaky bacon, both for the better texture and a meatier flavor.
Other Tweaks You Can Make
For a healthier soup or a less creamy one, you can just leave out the cream. If you don’t want a chunky soup, puree everything in the blender including all the leeks and bacon. The croutons add a nice crunch to this leek and potato soup recipe and you could bake them instead of toasting them if you prefer. Toss them in olive oil and dried herbs if you want to make a gourmet croutons recipe.
Potato Leek Soup with Bacon: Warming and Comforting
Potato leek soup is a classic British starter recipe and if it’s a winter warmer you’re after this recipe is hard to beat. This is quite a filling soup, especially with the croutons, so only give people small bowlfuls if you expect them to eat their main course too! You can double up this leek and potato soup recipe if you want to and have it reheated for lunch the following day.
- 300g (10.5 oz) peeled, sliced potatoes
- 300g (10.5 oz) sliced leeks
- 290ml (1.25 cups) milk
- 50ml (1/5 cup) single cream (light cream)
- 150g (5⅓ oz) chopped bacon
- 700ml (3 cups) chicken stock
- 4 slices bread
- Black pepper, to taste
- Saute the bacon, leeks and potato slices in a pan until everything is tender but not browned.
- You can use the microwave instead if you prefer.
- Stir in the stock and keep cooking until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove some of the bacon and leek slices for garnish, then blend the rest of the soup in batches in the blender.
- Put it back in the pan and stir in the milk and cream.
- Toast the bread and cut it into cubes to make croutons.
- Divide the soup between 6 serving dishes and garnish with the reserved bacon and leek slices. Serve the croutons on the side so people can help themselves.
This delicious potato leek soup with bacon makes an amazing starter. Served hot, the leek, potato and bacon flavors clearly shine through and the milk, cream and chicken stock combine to give an aromatic taste. This is a simple soup recipe but a classic one which has stood the test of time. Potatoes and leeks are winter vegetables and they can be used to make stews and casseroles, as well as starter recipes like this one. Soup starters are great at dinner parties and if you want to serve something rich, full flavored and warming, leek and potato soup with bacon is an excellent choice.